C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cars too loud? FIX???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
Cars too loud? FIX???

I recently got my headers and mids installed (MBH) on my 2009 C63.

I personally love them and I love the sound.

My neighbor has a 2012 C63 and after hearing my car he's thinking about getting headers for his car as well but he's concerned about the sound being too loud especially in the morning when he starts his car to go to work.

I don't have that problem because it's not my daily driving car and I don't wake up early for school/work.

For those of you who have headers or just simply exhaust work(loud car) what do you guys recommend my neighbor doing? If he gets the headers is there a way for him to silence the start up? or is there anyway to make it silent and loud whenever he wants like an exhaust cutout switch?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Google Agency Power Valve Controlled Exhaust
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E63S
Or just tell him to tune it instead. I have a 2012 P31 and it was a huge gain. This way he's getting more power and keeping the same sound.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
^ for sure but once you start modding you would want more!!! It starts with the simple side markers and ends up with you wanting more and more power.
There is no magic on the M156 engines. If you want power tune and headers are your best gains. Actually headers have to go with a tune.

As far as OP's question I would say like Matt get some valve controlled catback (IPE/Agency power) or the more expensive Akrapovic it will tone the headers down.
Others have tried different methods like adding mufflers in place of the resonator which has worked I think. Just search on this forum. GL
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Weistec Supercharged
I have the IPE LTH with full valved exhaust and it is great with the valves closed......probably a little louder than stock

With the valves open.....pure thunder
Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by olszowa12
Google Agency Power Valve Controlled Exhaust
I spoke to my neighbor just now he's wondering if it's possible to get the MBH headers and midsection installed and then add the agency powered valve controlled exhaust? Or would it over lap some pieces?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BrabusNYC
Or just tell him to tune it instead. I have a 2012 P31 and it was a huge gain. This way he's getting more power and keeping the same sound.
He's not that interested in power gains, he simply wants the sound I currently have but also a way to either control the loudness or a way to tone it down.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by average joe
I have the IPE LTH with full valved exhaust and it is great with the valves closed......probably a little louder than stock

With the valves open.....pure thunder
Do you happen to have a video?

Is your entire setup from IPE?

If you don't mind can you tell me the price you paid for the entire setup?

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by abcut973
^ for sure but once you start modding you would want more!!! It starts with the simple side markers and ends up with you wanting more and more power.
There is no magic on the M156 engines. If you want power tune and headers are your best gains. Actually headers have to go with a tune.

As far as OP's question I would say like Matt get some valve controlled catback (IPE/Agency power) or the more expensive Akrapovic it will tone the headers down.
Others have tried different methods like adding mufflers in place of the resonator which has worked I think. Just search on this forum. GL
Adding mufflers in place of a resonator sounds like a good idea, but does it cause back pressure problems or CEL?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by Mark63
I spoke to my neighbor just now he's wondering if it's possible to get the MBH headers and midsection installed and then add the agency powered valve controlled exhaust? Or would it over lap some pieces?
Yes you can put MBH header and have a different catback than OEM. You might need some type of adapter in between depending on what system you choose for the catback.

He's not that interested in power gains, he simply wants the sound I currently have but also a way to either control the loudness or a way to tone it down.
Your car is loud because of the unrestricted airflow caused by the headers. Hence a power increase. Now if he wants to be louder only there are cheaper ways of doing it like 2nd cat + resonator delete. It will not be as loud as you but it will be louder than OEM sound.
If you install the adjustable valve system cat back only it will automatically delete the resonator and will give him flexibility of opened/closed flaps.

Adding mufflers in place of a resonator sounds like a good idea, but does it cause back pressure problems or CEL?
This will not cause a CEL.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by abcut973
Yes you can put MBH header and have a different catback than OEM. You might need some type of adapter in between depending on what system you choose for the catback.

Your car is loud because of the unrestricted airflow caused by the headers. Hence a power increase. Now if he wants to be louder only there are cheaper ways of doing it like 2nd cat + resonator delete. It will not be as loud as you but it will be louder than OEM sound.
If you install the adjustable valve system cat back only it will automatically delete the resonator and will give him flexibility of opened/closed flaps.

This will not cause a CEL.

Would installing agency powered valve electronic controlled exhaust with the MBH headers and Midsection help?

1. With the MBH headers, mid section and agency powered exhaust set up on
the car, would it quiet down the cars start up sound when the valves are closed?

2. Same setup (MBH Headers/Mids/Agency) would it make the car louder when the valves are open? (Louder than just with headers&mids) ?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
I have the same setup and think it’s absolutely awesome. Yes, cold start sounds pretty furious, but it’s easily quieted down if the car is put into gear. Just have him start it, and then proceed to back out of the garage/driveway and it’ll be fine. No need to just sit and idle loudly.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML 350 Bluetec
I recently got my headers and mids installed (MBH) on my 2009 C63.

I personally love them and I love the sound.

My neighbor has a 2012 C63 and after hearing my car he's thinking about getting headers for his car as well but he's concerned about the sound being too loud especially in the morning when he starts his car to go to work.

I don't have that problem because it's not my daily driving car and I don't wake up early for school/work.

For those of you who have headers or just simply exhaust work(loud car) what do you guys recommend my neighbor doing? If he gets the headers is there a way for him to silence the start up? or is there anyway to make it silent and loud whenever he wants like an exhaust cutout switch?
I am going to apologise up front for being flippant, has he tried a Prius?

Seriously, I have a full Eisenmann system and it is loud on startup, bi modal exhaust flaps, on cold start it dumps fuel into the system which makes it louder. My personal fix is to start it with the garage door closed until the flaps close.

Then I poodle out at idle no fuss no muss, does not ruffle the neighbours! Works for me.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Check out what this guys has done:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-new-post.html

I am looking at doing something similar (will be custom as well).

You will see in this thread that Mike (of Mike's "power pipe" fame) is building a standard solution for this to fit MBH headers. Not sure of when that will be available though.