Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 507
Angry C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility

Hello,
Dealer X where the Car is at now.
Dealer Y where the Car was bought from.

I bought my second C63 from company Y back in October/November (drove it 4,000 since then), it is Mercedes Benz certified. Anyways a few days ago I was driving around 80 miles on the highway. I hear a clanging noise from the front left side of the car. I immediately stop. Look for any signs for where the noise is coming from. I don’t find it. Suspension, control arm are all good. I start look at the rim I notice a screw is out and it’s dented. I notice that the screw came out from the caliper. I look closely the screw from the caliper came out and it was dented and it damaged both the caliper and the rim, it was basically out and while I was driving the screw kept on hitting the rim from the inside, which was the source which caused the clanging sound! So I call a tow truck to take it to my house. Next day I call another tow truck to have it towed to a shop to work on some body work of the car (Shop only works on body work). To be specific I had a broken light (Right Side) and a paint job because of an accident. Again it’s only the right side that was damaged. The paint job was only done on the right side. No mechanical work was needed. When the car was done from the shop, the guy calls me to pick the car. I go to him he tells me your car is unsafe to drive I am calling you a tow truck, I say ok that was my intention. So the tow truck picks my car up from the shop to take it to dealer X.
Upon inspection of the car. Dealer X tells me that the car is not under warranty because of the fact that the screw came out and it damaged both the caliper and the interior side of the rim. I ask why? They tell me since the car wasn’t purchased from us so we cannot fix it. I ask why isn’t the car Mercedes Benz certified they tell me yes but you should contact the dealer where you bought the car from, which is dealer Y. They also mentioned that the car had the brakes changes before it was sold to me, to be specific they only changed the brake pads on all the wheels (done at dealer Y). So I contact the sales agent who sold me the car. I tell him the story he tells me I cannot fix it! Again I ask why he says because the car isn’t at our dealer now and I need to see the car. Long story short I have dealer Y send dealer X the list of the damages of the car. The sales agent still insists that they can’t fix the car without seeing it. By the way dealer Y is an hour and a half drive from me. I don’t get it if both of you are Mercedes Benz dealers why can’t you view what that dealer is telling you and take responsibility and pay for the damages that I faced.
Anyways, second day I call the sales agent he isn’t working that day, so I ask to speak for a manager, I get transferred to the sales manager. I fill him in with the story. He says let me speak to the service advisor in company X. I give him the name and contact info of the service advisor she fills him in. He calls me back he tells me I can’t fix the car for you, because the car has been sold to you from us since October/November, and you have 4,000 miles on it, and the rear tires are worn out. This is literally what he said! Which doesn’t make sense if you sell a new car these issues should never come to be, but since this is second hand Mercedes Benz certified its ok? Secondly, it’s an AMG yes it’s made to be driven aggressively it can stand that. How is the mileage of the car any relevant to the issue? According to the Sales manager it plays a role on how long you have been driving it and how you drove it. Again it’s an AMG I do not think Germany made cars to break down even after they get certified. There made to be heavy duty and reliable. Otherwise why certify a second hand car?
So the conversation goes back and forth. I tell him this is your dealers fault since they were the last ones who worked on the car. He tells me do you know what we did, I tell him you changed the brake pads on all wheels before you sold me the car. He asks me how do you change a break pad I explain how you do it, remove the screws pull the caliper cover out and then you work on changing the brake pad. This was me explaining to him over the phone with his technician over his shoulders. He says no that’s not the way you don’t need to remove the screw which came out that damaged the rim. So I drive to dealer X where the car is. I speak to my service advisor, she tells me I just spoke to the sales agent in dealer Y you want me to call him I said sure.
So I start talking to him and he tells me I just spoke to your service advisor and she told me that the car came to dealer X on a flat bed. I say so. He tells me you failed to tell me that the car has been in an accident, this is very “Sketchy”! I tell him before you even go there. The accident that I was on the right side and the only damages the car faced was a broken headlight on the right side and some minor. It has nothing to do with the screw coming out and damaging the interior of the rim on the right side. It doesn’t make sense! He tells me anyways I have nothing to tell you now I have to speak to my manager and technician and get back to you. Conversation ends!

So me frustrated in dealer X, I ask the service advisor to show me my car. She brings another service advisor I ask them to walk me in the back to see the car. We go look at it, I ask them to call a technician I had a couple of questions for. They tell me they all went home for the day. I ask him ok, so how do you change the brake pads on a C63. He points at two pins and a screw in the caliper take the cover over then you start working on. So I ask him do I need to pull out that screw (which was the screw that came out and damaged the car) he tells me yes you have to remove that screw in order to perform a brake pad change. I say thank you and I leave.

Attached below of the damages of the rim and the caliper.
Your input and comments are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility-20150306_181542.jpg   C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility-20150306_181521.jpg   C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility-20150306_181512.jpg   C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility-20150306_181502.jpg   C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility-20150306_181452.jpg  

C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility-20150306_181447.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
If this is how you speak to your dealer(s), I wouldn't help you either. Lot of dramatics here.

With that said, they have a right to inspect the car since it's been in an accident before they perform warranty work. They are required by law (in the US) to honor your warranty unless they can provide evidence that the accident was linked to the subsequent failure you describe.

A front end accident - doesn't matter which side and whether you believe there was no mechanical damage or not (is the 'body' shop even a MB certified repair facility?) - would usually void that area such as front suspension, brakes, etc because MB could plausibly believe any problem there could have been caused by the accident. How do they know what was worked on unless they look at it? Your word? That's laughable.

IMHO it pays to speak to people in a reasonable manner, and if they ask to see your car then just do it.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 AM

C63 507
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
If this is how you speak to your dealer(s), I wouldn't help you either. Lot of dramatics here.

With that said, they have a right to inspect the car since it's been in an accident before they perform warranty work. They are required by law (in the US) to honor your warranty unless they can provide evidence that the accident was linked to the subsequent failure you describe.

A front end accident - doesn't matter which side and whether you believe there was no mechanical damage or not (is the 'body' shop even a MB certified repair facility?) - would usually void that area such as front suspension, brakes, etc because MB could plausibly believe any problem there could have been caused by the accident. How do they know what was worked on unless they look at it? Your word? That's laughable.

IMHO it pays to speak to people in a reasonable manner, and if they ask to see your car then just do it.
BLKROKT: They have the right to inspect it. Yet the car is in another MB dealer. The accident was in no way linked to the mechanical failures of the car. Secondly, yes the "body shop" is MB certified. Lastly, when you contact the sales manager and he calls you sketchy you wouldn't respond to them in a reasonable matter.
IMHO people will be treated they way they treat people.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Very confusing story. Is it the right or the left?
You wrote you had an accident on the right side then the bolt came off the left side but then later says it is the right side.
Another point that I don't understand is why do you send your car to a body shop knowing you have bigger problem with the brakes that prevent you to drive it. The first thing I would do would be towing the car to the dealership first to fix that issue. Since you said the accident is not related to the brake issue MB would have inspected the car and probably realized the failure was not related. Then once the car would become drivable again you drop it to the body shop
Anyways there is something i don't understand as well from the dealer side. Aren't MB CPO supposed to be covered wherever dealership you go? I don't get the X dealer not wanted to repair the car since they have it even though car was CPO-ed by Y dealer.
Finally what kind of accident did you have? High speed, low speed .... having a hit on one side of the car doesn't mean something else has not broken.
Bottom line it is all about communication. So I hope you'll get you problem fixed asap. GL
Old 03-07-2015, 03:21 PM

C63 507
Originally Posted by abcut973
Very confusing story. Is it the right or the left?
You wrote you had an accident on the right side then the bolt came off the left side but then later says it is the right side.
Another point that I don't understand is why do you send your car to a body shop knowing you have bigger problem with the brakes that prevent you to drive it. The first thing I would do would be towing the car to the dealership first to fix that issue. Since you said the accident is not related to the brake issue MB would have inspected the car and probably realized the failure was not related. Then once the car would become drivable again you drop it to the body shop
Anyways there is something i don't understand as well from the dealer side. Aren't MB CPO supposed to be covered wherever dealership you go? I don't get the X dealer not wanted to repair the car since they have it even though car was CPO-ed by Y dealer.
Finally what kind of accident did you have? High speed, low speed .... having a hit on one side of the car doesn't mean something else has not broken.
Bottom line it is all about communication. So I hope you'll get you problem fixed asap. GL
abcut973: The accident was on the right side on a low speed. Again the Body shop which is MB certified told me there are not any damages on the car other then the left side. They told me the brakes are damaged and I told them yes this is unrelated to the accident. Secondly, dealer X where the car is now told me we can not take responsibility for another dealers mistake, especially if the damages total to over $3k. Keep in mind that dealer Y where the last ones to work on the car.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
So confusing, the accident was on the right side but ur Bodyshop said no damage other than the left side?
Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by alfaheem_921
abcut973: The accident was on the right side on a low speed. Again the Body shop which is MB certified told me there are not any damages on the car other then the left side. They told me the brakes are damaged and I told them yes this is unrelated to the accident. Secondly, dealer X where the car is now told me we can not take responsibility for another dealers mistake, especially if the damages total to over $3k. Keep in mind that dealer Y where the last ones to work on the car.

Thank you.
CPO warranty work is covered by the warranty provider not the dealership and are good at any dealer.
Where the real issue lies is this part of your car is not covered under warranty. If I'm not mistaken the calipers are considered a wear and tear item as are the brake pads. CPO warranties cover all lubricated items such as transmission engine etc, CPO's are not bumper to bumper and that is why they are not fixing it under warranty.
The dealer at fault is the dealer who installed the pads. How long ago were the pads replaced? If it's 4k miles ago, I think your SOL tbh.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
^Good to see you here still man. People generally lose interest in the product after they get rid of it. I was an active member on mustang forum, then the 350Z forum and completely stopped going after getting rid of the those cars lol.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
It is going to be hard to prove the dealership made the mistake.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
This is really confusing. If it was a mb certified used with a mb cpo warranty it wouldn't matter the dealership.
My assumption is they deemed the damage not to be a defect and was caused from improper pad install or accident and wouldn't be covered by the cpo .

What's more consuming is why call a sales guy who sold you the car? He can't fix anything talk to service advisors and I completely understand why they would want to see the car before agreeing to anything that's perfectly reasonable.

But it's very strange that it would take 4k miles for a bad brake job to cAuse this
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Exactly. I would file this under "**** happens". Screws come loose, things break. If MB is not covering it, it's probably because you weren't upfront about the accident, and now they want to see the car first. I don't understand why you don't just let MB examine the car to determine if the accident caused this or not. Seems to me the OP is not being completely forthright here.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
This right here is exactly why I do all my own maintenance. I double check all my work before I pat myself on the back for a job well done and I'm assured my safety as I know what I did.
Always a gamble when letting others touch your cars. Just the way I was raised. Don't count on others especially when it comes to safety.
Papashango I'm sure I'll hang around for a bit then fade away lol. Still love these cars.
OP just be glad you caught it when you did. Could have been messy-er!

Last edited by Autosport7; 03-07-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Sorry to see your predicament. You should've brought the car to the dealer first, not the body shop. The less hands the vehicle touches, the less chance for the dealer blame game.
Get it fixed asap and get back to driving!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C63, 2016 GLE Coupe, 2015 G550, 1968 Datsun 2000
If CPO, car still have four years new car warranty depending on the date first sold the car.
Even out of new warranty, the brake seems covered by CPO limited warranty.

Coverage extends to the engine and powertrain, steering, suspension, brakes (excluding wear of discs and pads), electrical system, climate control system, and more.**

**Please see your Mercedes-Benz Dealer for a copy of the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty

As few people mentioned, problem here seems brought the car to body shop. No matter the accident related to the brake or not.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Get the regional GM for Mercedes involved. Thats about the only way to get it straightened out if you have a case.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
you guys actually read that entire textbook?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM

2015 GLA 250
I would be speaking with Head office and sending the proof the dealer worked on the car last.

I'm not sure about CPO cars so did you also buy an extended warranty covering things like this.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM

C63 507
Originally Posted by Autosport7
CPO warranty work is covered by the warranty provider not the dealership and are good at any dealer.
Where the real issue lies is this part of your car is not covered under warranty. If I'm not mistaken the calipers are considered a wear and tear item as are the brake pads. CPO warranties cover all lubricated items such as transmission engine etc, CPO's are not bumper to bumper and that is why they are not fixing it under warranty.
The dealer at fault is the dealer who installed the pads. How long ago were the pads replaced? If it's 4k miles ago, I think your SOL tbh.
Autosport7:
That's the issue they were the last ones to touch the break pads. I also asked the other dealer how the break pads are changed and he told that there are two pins and a screw that need to come out to change the break pads. The dealer where the car was bought from is stating that the car has been driven 4k miles, the rear tires are worn out. The pads have been changed 5 months ago.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM

C63 507
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Exactly. I would file this under "**** happens". Screws come loose, things break. If MB is not covering it, it's probably because you weren't upfront about the accident, and now they want to see the car first. I don't understand why you don't just let MB examine the car to determine if the accident caused this or not. Seems to me the OP is not being completely forthright here.
BLKROKT:
Again I have been transparent about the accident to make it clear that the accident on the RIGHT side has been removed as a reason on why the screws on the LEFT side came out. The dealer where the car is now examined it and they forwarded the report to the dealer where the car was bought from. I didnt refuse for them to look at it. They can either tow it in and look at it or they can send someone to look at.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 PM

C63 507
Originally Posted by KG29
I would be speaking with Head office and sending the proof the dealer worked on the car last.

I'm not sure about CPO cars so did you also buy an extended warranty covering things like this.
KG29:
The sales manager that I was speaking to still did not get back to me. He said he would but never said anything since two days ago, plus he hasn't been answering my calls. Yes I purchased the extended warranty its covered until 100,000 miles or 6 years. I also purchased the extended service plans that would cover me until the car hits 60k miles. The proof that was sent was the dealer who sold me the car were last to work on the brake pads. After that no else touched the brakes. Especially since they were recently changed by a dealer.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
With your car being hit on the right side, the force and motion on the left hand side is such that the screw/bolt that is show will be encourage to move outward (the direction it went).

Not saying that's what happened, but just because you got hit on the right doesn't mean it can't cause something with the left.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 PM

C63 507
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
With your car being hit on the right side, the force and motion on the left hand side is such that the screw/bolt that is show will be encourage to move outward (the direction it went).

Not saying that's what happened, but just because you got hit on the right doesn't mean it can't cause something with the left.

HIghway Polls.

I hit a highway poll, on the right side and cracked the right headlight. So what was needed for the car was to replace the headlight and a paint job. So how can one poll crack a headlight on the right side and create damages on the left side, to be specific in unscrews a caliper bolt? Does that sound reasonable?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
^No no, and as I said at the bottom of my post, I'm not suggesting that is what happened. I was simply saying that an accident on the right side of a car can effect the left.

I don't really know what is going on or see why a CPO car isn't being covered. If they are certified MB dealers then it shouldn't matter where you take it and they should take care of you. It's not like the $$ comes straight out of the dealers pocket, it comes from MB.

Not really following why people here are saying "well its because you took it to a body shop first" blah blah. Well, yeah you took it to a body shop because you had an accident.

Just be really nice to the people at MB that you talk to (as hard as that may be) and just hope you get things your way. Just be persistent, and again, be almost too nice.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
If those pins just fall out then we are all in trouble.
Properly placed pins will never ever come out as they are spring loaded with the pad clip.
For all the OCD owners out there better check those pins daily.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
All I can say is stop talking to the sales manager. Call the service manager and take it up with them. Also, get your car over to the dealer that installed them. Then let them tell you they wont cover it.
I don't see where the warranty comes into play here to be honest. The pins fell out due to neglect of the installer. Even if CPO warranties do cover calipers, the caliper did not go bad, the installation of the pads was done incorrectly. The liability falls in the hands of the dealer who installed them. I am merely saying that I have a hard time believing a dealer is going to cover this after 4k miles have been placed on the car since the work was done, especially now that you have had bad words with that dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 w204 2012 Dealer Refuses to take Responsibility