Radiator drain will not drain coolant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Radiator drain will not drain coolant?

Hello,
Trying to install serpentine I removed the upper hoes that goes to the radiator and dropped some coolant saw it was super dirty so decided to flush it ...
I turned the valve under the radiator counter clockwise and nothing came out? My cap is off at the top? Does that mean there is no water in it??
Thanks I'm advance for the help. Though this was weird..
The following users liked this post:
Michael Hamze (12-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe 2015
I had the same issue with my 2012.
The drain valve is 2-stage, and quite hard to turn the second stage. It was so tight I thought it was going to break. You can be a little brutal.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Hamze (12-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 AM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Originally Posted by INOV8N
The drain valve is 2-stage, and quite hard to turn the second stage. It was so tight I thought it was going to break. You can be a little brutal.
Exactly how I felt . I though if I pushed too hard it would snap! What I did was just take the hoes out and got like 3 gallons of distilled to flush out all the old fluid. I'll see if I am able to get that snap.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Is there more to this story?

Because I remember your first post being about an empty coolant tank reservoir. Just curious as to why there is so much interest between you, and coolant, and the fact you have an 09...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Is there more to this story?

Because I remember your first post being about an empty coolant tank reservoir. Just curious as to why there is so much interest between you, and coolant, and the fact you have an 09...
What do you mean the fact that I have a 2009?
I don't get it.. and I though it was the power steer fluid reservoir?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
My bad, you're right. For some reason I was thinking we went on about the coolant reservoir (got lost in, well, everything else that went on in that thread)

And 09 would be relevant with coolant because it's a pre facelift and subject to bad headbolts which would lead to coolant issues.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:51 AM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
My bad, you're right. For some reason I was thinking we went on about the coolant reservoir (got lost in, well, everything else that went on in that thread)

And 09 would be relevant with coolant because it's a pre facelift and subject to bad headbolts which would lead to coolant issues.
Your good just kinda got confused there for a little.
And your right I had my bolts done when I just got the car, cost me like 3 grand and covered some other little issues but they said it should be solid now, let's hope that's true..

I couldn't open the valve and still can't I need to find a way to get some small pliers in there..
Old 03-26-2017, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
If you had your bolts done, didn't they replace the coolant then?

The drain does feel like you're going to break it. Channel lock pliers give you good leverage.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
If you had your bolts done, didn't they replace the coolant then?

The drain does feel like you're going to break it. Channel lock pliers give you good leverage.
Yup they should have right?

Yup it's almost impossible with the fingers I just tried it again and you can't get a good grip on it and I can even brake a finger just putting so much pressure and it won't even budge . I have some small slim channel locks at work so waiting till Monday now.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Yes, they had to drain it. Why don't you find out if they used new coolant so you don't waste time and money changing it again?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:02 PM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Yes, they had to drain it. Why don't you find out if they used new coolant so you don't waste time and money changing it again?
I know the thing is that I dropped a lot you know, that's the only reason why I am even messing with it .. or else I wouldn't even of touched it with .. but when I saw the coolant it was like more water than yellow.. and it had like a lot a lot of dust so I decided to just do the flush but wasn't successful because of that 2-stage valve..plus the new coolant I got is blue now?? Why was the one in there yellow right? I mean they probably just put any random fluid in there..
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by amgone63
I know the thing is that I dropped a lot you know, that's the only reason why I am even messing with it .. or else I wouldn't even of touched it with .. but when I saw the coolant it was like more water than yellow.. and it had like a lot a lot of dust so I decided to just do the flush but wasn't successful because of that 2-stage valve..plus the new coolant I got is blue now?? Why was the one in there yellow right? I mean they probably just put any random fluid in there..
I'm not entirely sure what you just wrote but sounds like they used an after market coolant. It could be fine but a flush with OEM isn't a big deal.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
I'm not entirely sure what you just wrote but sounds like they used an after market coolant. It could be fine but a flush with OEM isn't a big deal.
I know it isn't. I just didn't know why the valve wasn't draining the coolant if it opened "all the way" i thought. Till they informed me it was 2-stage valve and the second stage is crazy hard to turn with only your hand in that tight spot you can feel like you can brake it off but I guess you can be hard on it it's fine..

The only reason I'm even messing with the coolant is In the first post I submitted.

Last edited by amgone63; 03-26-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
07' E63
I too thought my Coolant Drain wasn't working as I was preparing to take out my Heads to get rebuilt. I used a 5/8 size clear hose (Home Depot) and stay tied it to the drain hole which protrudes from the bottom driver side front radiator. The tab that you turn counter-clockwise to open the valve seems to stop at a quarter turn. And yes it's very difficult to get a finger grip on it so I used needle hose vice grips and a shop towel to protect the tab and while rotating back and forth to that quarter turn stop I found that if you pull out on the tab while turning counter clockwise it opens that valve, just be ready with the drain hose in a bucket to collect the coolant and open up the reservoir. There are two recessed Allen bolts on each side of the engine you can unscrew to release coolant from the cylinder block. Passenger on is in clear view but the driver side one is a head scratcher???
Old 09-22-2023, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 2005
" pull out on the tab while turning counter clockwise it opens that valve"

Thank you. I was flummoxed today why antifreeze wasn't draining. (facepalm)
Old 10-08-2023, 08:18 PM

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Having bad experiences with the drains on other cars (never did a MB that I can recall) I either siphon the water out, or just pull the lower hose. Often the petcock has crud and won't drain, and sometimes it doesn't want to close up and leaks. I assume crud blocking it? Then there's some that break, or I twist the T handle off the valve, so I just don't bother trying to use those things anymore.

As for the yellow and blue coolant, there are some threads here about that, and what coolant you can and cannot mix. It can get confusing but apparently the wrong combo can cause the coolant to gel? Which is obviously a bad thing. Here's some links that may be of some help on the subject:
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-pick...t-for-your-car
https://valvolineglobal.com/en-eur/a...about-coolants

Plus this chart I got from somewhere:

Old 03-06-2024, 06:10 AM

c220 t model 2009 s204
Please explain the second stage

Originally Posted by INOV8N
I can turn my plug 90 degrees anti clockwise and it stops. (Like pointing to 9 on a clock from pointing at 12 originally)
nothing comes out.
does it turn further?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:11 PM

E500 2005
Pull out on the tab and turn more and it will drain.

Turn
Pull
Turn
Old 03-06-2024, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Doingmybest
Pull out on the tab and turn more and it will drain.

Turn
Pull
Turn

this. It is odd the first time you do it as you hit the stopper and nothing comes out.