Sponsored by:

C63 wont start, wiring issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
C63 wont start, wiring issue?

Okay so i've checked and couldn't find anyone with similar issues.

Here is the long and detailed story of my problem.

The first time my car would't start, I went through my whole car and checked every damn fuse in it. Threw code P0628 "Fuel pump A control Circuit Low". I found 1 blown fuse in the small fuse box located to the left of the steering column. Replaced the 20A fuse and my car started right up.

about 3 days later she died again. No warning signs at all just simply wouldnt start.

I rechecked all of my fuses and relays. All good.

I stated to suspect that maybe the fuel pumps (both fuel pumps and sending unit) shorted out so I bought used fuel pump... I know don't judge me lol

Didn't fix the cars still.

Then I replaced the fuel pump module located under the right hand side of the rear seat. And it started right up!!

That lasted about a month until it just didnt start again.

It turns over, it tries to start but the fuel pumps arent turning on at all and ive already replaced the module and still nothing
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Oh yeah and the only mod I have is secondary cats removed.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
since you know where the fuel pump control module is you need to feed power to the output side of the module(to the pumps) and see if the car starts and runs. if it does start and run then the pumps are good, wiring from the module to the pumps is good. then test to see that the input side of the module is getting power....being as you said you had a blown fuse i would assume one of two things, either your module/pumps went bad OR you have a short in the wiring(when the cat work was done there may have been some wire damage or the weld in parts may be too close to the body and caused the insulation to burn off a section of the harness)....keep us posted
The following users liked this post:
masonpardo (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Ill give it a shot! I ran the car for about 6 months after the exhaust mod before it gave me problems but its possible it worsened over time.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Here is a little update.

I replaced the module with a used module from ebay.
I also replaced my battery and then BOOM it started right up!

Ran like it was meant to run!

then a couple hours later I tried to start it and it started but bogged down untill it died. So, not sure if the module is dead again and maybe its only starting because of fuel already in the lines.

I have an appointment this weekend to get it checked out. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Okay so just in case someone is following this thread or has a problem in the future here is the culprit!!
Just to the right of the battery there are two fuses one of which is a 40 amp
this is the wire coming from the back of that fuse it somehow got loose and started to overheat which caused a loose connection and there for throwing out my fuel pumps.

The burnt wire goes to the fuel pump module under the right side of the rear seat.

Fixing it tomorrow. Let's hope it's the only problem The single wore on the right feeds power to the fuel pump module.
Closer look of the burnt wire. Loose connection.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Okay so just in case someone is following this thread or has a problem in the future here is the culprit!!
Just to the right of the battery there are two fuses one of which is a 40 amp
this is the wire coming from the back of that fuse it somehow got loose and started to overheat which caused a loose connection and there for throwing out my fuel pumps.

The burnt wire goes to the fuel pump module under the right side of the rear seat.

Fixing it tomorrow. Let's hope it's the only problem The single wore on the right feeds power to the fuel pump module.
Closer look of the burnt wire. Loose connection.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Nice catch dude. How did you track that down, smell?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM

2008 C63 AMG
I have a mechanic friend so we first tested every cable for voltage and we found the one cable that would get 12v then drop it randomly.

So we pulled the harness apart looking for any sort of knick in the wiring that would be shorting it and eventually traces it all the way back to the 40A fuse. The wire come directly from the back of the fuse and into the fuel pump module (there are two fuel pump modules)

anyway im off to mb to see if they have the part. I'll post a picture of the location of the fuse
Old 05-06-2017, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Wiring issues are the worst - testing can be so tedious. Glad you have it sorted.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C63 AMG
First off thank you for your post! Helped me find my problem immediately with the fuse next to the battery. I noticed the top red wire going to the fuel pump module was turning brown from shorting out/getting hot. I pressed it in and it fired right up. What did you end up doing to fix this? Did you get a new 40 amp fuse plate that sits by the battery or just a new wire from the fuel pump module to the 40 amp fuse plate?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes C63S
Originally Posted by Scott Garver
First off thank you for your post! Helped me find my problem immediately with the fuse next to the battery. I noticed the top red wire going to the fuel pump module was turning brown from shorting out/getting hot. I pressed it in and it fired right up. What did you end up doing to fix this? Did you get a new 40 amp fuse plate that sits by the battery or just a new wire from the fuel pump module to the 40 amp fuse plate?

Thanks in advance!
I’m having issues with fuel pump too, I’ll attach error my scan tool showing below. It does same, kicking over but don’t fire up. Replaced fuel pump, fuel pump module. I was able to use scan tool to wipe it and start it up everytime it happened (2-4weeks) until today. Any suggestions

anyone ?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes C63S
Ok all sorted, the car from previous owner had a battery too small for the car. Installed proper battery and good to go
Old 09-29-2020, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Can you shoot me a DM or email me at gixxermr2@yahoo.com

Had the same issue and wanted to know exactly what you did to remedy it.

Did you get a new fuse holder or did you wire in an aftermarket one?

Originally Posted by masonpardo
I have a mechanic friend so we first tested every cable for voltage and we found the one cable that would get 12v then drop it randomly.

So we pulled the harness apart looking for any sort of knick in the wiring that would be shorting it and eventually traces it all the way back to the 40A fuse. The wire come directly from the back of the fuse and into the fuel pump module (there are two fuel pump modules)

anyway im off to mb to see if they have the part. I'll post a picture of the location of the fuse
The following users liked this post:
Sr Leem (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c63 amg
I ran into the same problem fuse is dark at the end as well

Originally Posted by Sleeper_C63
Can you shoot me a DM or email me at gixxermr2@yahoo.com

Had the same issue and wanted to know exactly what you did to remedy it.

Did you get a new fuse holder or did you wire in an aftermarket one?

Any help please email too car cranks but does roll over at all. Nathaniel32thorpe@gmail.com