C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

passenger side rear brake squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43, 2012 R350
passenger side rear brake squeal

I know there's a lot of threads on this topic and over the last six months I've taken advice and tried many of the solutions offered. The dealer wanted $2500 for new front and rear brakes and I couldn't see paying that much. I worked on a garage through college so I've done my share of brakes. My fronts are perfect it's just my passenger rear that squeaks horribly when slowing down. I started with a pair of TRW ceramic pads on the existing rotors and then based on dealer recommendations I bought and installed oem rear rotors and pads. When the squealing remained I brought it back to the dealer twice thinking with it all stock they could fix it but each time they were unsuccessful as well so as a last ditch effort I tried a pair of Bosch quietcast and still just the passenger rear squeals. I've tried many of the silicon lubricants recommended here and even tried an AC Delco version on the advice of a corvette mechanic. You can also hear a noise similar to when the wear bars are touching when driving slow in enclosed areas, again just on the passenger rear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm out of options and the squealing is painful.

Last edited by sthorn71; 06-12-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
installing porterfield pads on mine cured the squeal
Old 06-14-2017, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Try Permatex high-temp ceramic paste (it's purple). If it's not the pad/piston junction that's the problem (and with all those pad switches, it sounds like it couldn't be unless you have a sticking piston or something), maybe it's the rotor. Check the rotor surface for irregularities, maybe hit it with some steel wool - could be some spots where brake pad has deposited stubbornly.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 06-14-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Just speculating - is the parking brake on that corner? If yes, could it be too tight?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by zcct04
Just speculating - is the parking brake on that corner? If yes, could it be too tight?
I doubt it based on my recent experience.
I chased this same issue of brake squeal a couple of weeks ago. We changed front pads which seated in OK and serviced the rears by cleaning and lubing the back plates etc and it fixed the issue for about 60 miles and came back. It was the RR squealling and after change of pads in the rear all has been good.
One tip my SM gave is that the pads in these cars need to be cleaned up with some hard braking once in a while. According to him they can tend to glaze over in regular around town driving.
Most of my driving is around town so I have got into the habit once in a while of dragging the brake at highway speeds for few hundred yards while keeping speed up and I have not had any issues since the pads were changed.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM

2018 C43, 2012 R350
Thanks for everyone's responses I really appreciate it. I'll give your recommendations a try and let you know if I have any luck. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w204 c63, real soon
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
I doubt it based on my recent experience.
I chased this same issue of brake squeal a couple of weeks ago. We changed front pads which seated in OK and serviced the rears by cleaning and lubing the back plates etc and it fixed the issue for about 60 miles and came back. It was the RR squealling and after change of pads in the rear all has been good.
One tip my SM gave is that the pads in these cars need to be cleaned up with some hard braking once in a while. According to him they can tend to glaze over in regular around town driving.
Most of my driving is around town so I have got into the habit once in a while of dragging the brake at highway speeds for few hundred yards while keeping speed up and I have not had any issues since the pads were changed.
Agreed, step on them brakes hard a few times and it’ll go away. You’ll have to do it occasionally of course. Mine glaze quick and squeal terribly.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:53 AM

2019 MB C63s
Any updates on how this was fixed?