C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

10 new owner questions I have about my C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
10 new owner questions I have about my C63

I bought a 2012 non performance package car today and have compiled A LOT of "first day" questions. I have researched and answered some other questions but lots of this are more particular and thought lots of these will be easy for you guys to rattle off and answer. So if you want to answer some or all of these I'd like to hear the opinions and most importantly learn about my car.

Thanks in advance!

1) The dealership I bought the car from did a complimentary oil change today using what they called "Total" brand 5w40. Doing some quick research I'm learning that 5w40 is indeed the recommend oil but I'm reading that Total Quartz (assuming that's what it is) in 5w40 is ACTUALLY a semi synthetic group 3 oil. I'm no expert but that makes me nervous. Should I change it ASAP!? Also, without an oil battle what are my options? Do I just bite the bullet and go to the stealership for m1 5w40? What about recommended oil filters? I'm in Vancouver, canada for weather reference - It doesn't really get below -10 or -15 degrees C (5-14 F)

2)Where is the sensor on the rear view mirror that I can cover so the side mirror and rear view mirror don't tint themselves. I believe I've read that's the only way to do it?

3)What is the best way to launch the car from a roll? Does handling mode matter? Perhaps put it in s+ and use the paddle to get into a gear at the right RPM and then let the car shift itself from there?

4) Quickest/best way to launch from a dig?

5)With the C,S,S+ and M modes, is there any reason why I can't be switching back and forth between those while driving? I'd assume Mercedes would look that out while in motion but I'm **** with my cars and don't want to put any stress on it.

6)Is it hard on the car to drive in any of the particular modes? Like is C hard on the trans having to slip 2nd from a start? Or is the car really not built to run M mode lots (for whatever reason).

7)How do you guys hardwire a detector to the mirror or anything else convenient? I've got one of those invisicords but the mirror doesn't seem to have an obvious plug to tap into like other cars I've had.

8)Who still sells an X pipe to replace my secondary cats? MBH only appears to have one that works with their headers.

9)The car has reso delete only. how much louder would secondary cat delete for an X pipe be and would it change the tone much from now?

10)How do I stop my mirrors from flippin inwards when I park?

Finally, any other do's and don't or secrets you might want to tell a new owner that you found out or wish you knew?

Last edited by ShaneN.; 10-04-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
I bought a 2012 non performance package car today and have compiled A LOT of "first day" questions. I have researched and answered some other questions but lots of this are more particular and thought lots of these will be easy for you guys to rattle off and answer. So if you want to answer some or all of these I'd like to hear the opinions and most importantly learn about my car.

Thanks in advance!

1) The dealership I bought the car from did a complimentary oil change today using what they called "Total" brand 5w40. Doing some quick research I'm learning that 5w40 is indeed the recommend oil but I'm reading that Total Quartz (assuming that's what it is) in 5w40 is ACTUALLY a semi synthetic group 3 oil. I'm no expert but that makes me nervous. Should I change it ASAP!? Also, without an oil battle what are my options? Do I just bite the bullet and go to the stealership for m1 5w40? What about recommended oil filters? I'm in Vancouver, canada for weather reference - It doesn't really get below -10 or -15 degrees C (5-14 F)

Haven't heard of that brand. 5w40 is approved for our cars, but if youre skeptical about the quality of the oil, then you can suck/drain it out and put in 0w40 Mobil 1. Thats pretty much the best for our cars. 5w40 is fine though.

2)Where is the sensor on the rear view mirror that I can cover so the side mirror and rear view mirror don't tint themselves. I believe I've read that's the only way to do it?

No idea

3)What is the best way to launch the car from a roll? Does handling mode matter? Perhaps put it in s+ and use the paddle to get into a gear at the right RPM and then let the car shift itself from there?

Be in S+ with ESP set to Sport/Off. Handling mode matters because with ESP fully on, it will allow very little wheel spin. A little spin is ok, and we can go faster with it set to Sport/Off.

Hold downshift pedal to prime car in lowest gear for your speed.

Hammer the throttle

????

Profit!

Be in M mode with ESP off.

Press on brakes with left foot.

Rev engine to around 2 - 2.5k.

Foot off brake, and you will launch.

For first gear and second gear, Upshift when you detect too much wheel spin. You can probably upshift at around 5-6k in first, since you are just spinning at that point. Whenever your rears start spinning, upshifting is the fastest "move" for your times because you allow wheels to cool down, regain traction, and you need to upshift anyways. So do it while youre waiting to regain traction. For later gears, shift as close to your limiter as possible.

5)With the C,S,S+ and M modes, is there any reason why I can't be switching back and forth between those while driving? I'd assume Mercedes would look that out while in motion but I'm **** with my cars and don't want to put any stress on it.

The manual and some users will tell you not to, but I play around with it all the time. Theoretically, changing the modes just changes some parameters in the software. There is nothing mechanical, except it will cause your car to quickly shift to the desired gear for your speed. For ex, if you are cruising on the highway in 3rd gear at 70mph in M mode and then put it into comfort mode, it will quickly grab 7th gear one at a time, and you cant put down power for this 2-3 seconds.

I believe correctly using the drive mode is key to maximizing our enjoyment in these cars. I quickly put her to C mode as I approach neighbourhoods, rush hour traffic, etc. No sense driving bumper-to-bumper with 1st gear launches and upshifts at 2.5k in Manual or S+.

6)Is it hard on the car to drive in any of the particular modes? Like is C hard on the trans having to slip 2nd from a start? Or is the car really not built to run M mode lots (for whatever reason).

I think the trans slip in 2nd is basically negligible. Academically, of course there is slightly increased wear but its will never matter in the grand scheme of things.

To your other point, I do believe that M mode is the harshest for our cars. The "higher" the mode, the higher your temps will be. Cars often shut down on the track in M mode. Many users have to run it in S+ or C mode (and only run a tiny bit slower) to have the TCU work less, and thus overheat later.

In M, the shifts are quickest and harshest, therefore the TCU has to work harder. Also, your revs will be higher, so your engine will see more cycles. How much worse is it? Not enough to stop me from enjoying my car in S+ and M whenever I have the chance. But enough for me to be conscious about "preserving" my car's lifespan and putting her in C and driving like a sane person in between my bouts of Indy500 simulation.

7)How do you guys hardwire a detector to the mirror or anything else convenient? I've got one of those invisicords but the mirror doesn't seem to have an obvious plug to tap into like other cars I've had.

Dont know

8)Who still sells an X pipe to replace my secondary cats? MBH only appears to have one that works with their headers.

Any shop can weld you one. In my opinion, there is nothing special about the pipes made from vendors here and they are overpriced. Also, I highly recommend the H pipe configuration - look into it more.

9)The car has reso delete only. how much louder would secondary cat delete for an X pipe be and would it change the tone much from now?

Delete your cats, you will love it. Itll get louder, but with an X pipe youll get a higher pitched note and youll probably lose the deeper AMG grunt. Again, go look at more vids and posts on this forum.

There is a setting. I think in the menu (from your steering wheel) it's in Vehicle or Convenience.

Finally, any other do's and don't or secrets you might want to tell a new owner that you found out or wish you knew?

Get headers and tune, they make the car much more exciting and is 100% worth it. Then get wider tires so you don't die in the first three gears.
I'm a fairly new owner too. In any case, my answers are bolded.

Last edited by NotABaller; 10-04-2017 at 11:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
realjones88 (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C63 AMG Coupe

I am working on this now. While I haven't installed mine yet, I plan on using the fuse indicated in my thread here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-fuse-box.html

Lucky Canadian. I wish my USA car did that. They removed the mirror motors and so now I have to manually push them in when I park in public places.

After 9 months of ownership, I just discovered the flashing green LED button in the trunk in the UNLIKELY event that someone is trapped/locked/forced in there.
Good luck!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by NotABaller
I'm a fairly new owner too. In any case, my answers are bolded.
Thanks for the replies!

Anyone else care to fill in some of the unanswered questions? I'm interested in stopping those mirrors from dimming.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
All your answers are in threads when you use the search button
BLKROKT (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Search button.

Search button.

Search button.

Search button.

Read your manual.

Built like a tank, wouldn't worry.

Search button.

Search button.

Search button.

Maybe options in command consul settings.

Search button.
BLKROKT (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Phil_T
All your answers are in threads when you use the search button
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Search button.
Searches doesn't always yield the exact answer. For example switching between modes while driving, a search of the forum resulted in someone saying the manual says not to do so. My car doesn't have a manual included but I can't imagine why Mercedes would make it so the knob works while moving if they didn't want you to use it. Also, my Mercedes mechanic friend said it makes no difference if you're moving. That's why I'm looking for peoples' input to get more info on certain subjects.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 10-06-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
I've got a couple more...

If I do the trans adaptives reset or whatever, does it learn your driving style differently for each mode? For example if I always drove like a grandma in C would it learn that in Sport or if I switched to sport would it still be like how it was directly after resetting?

Also, in the "trip" section on the dash. It says from reset and from start.I assume from reset is your average since you reset and from start is your average since you started the car but my from start average L/100km was much lower than it should have been for that last half hour drive, only 1L/100km over my whole average and it also said the car had been on for, So from start said 3:09 but it was a half hour drive.

Finally, wtf is the coffee cup image on the display. My friend said he thought it was a reminder you've been driving too long and to freshen up, a safety precaution but it's never gone away. While I'm at it, below it is the image of a car in a lane but I don't think I have lane departure, so what is that?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Search button.

Search button.

Search button.

Search button.

Read your manual.

Built like a tank, wouldn't worry.

Search button.

Search button.

Search button.

Maybe options in command consul settings.

Search button.
Please mods make this a sticky
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
I've got a couple more...

If I do the trans adaptives reset or whatever, does it learn your driving style differently for each mode? For example if I always drove like a grandma in C would it learn that in Sport or if I switched to sport would it still be like how it was directly after resetting?

Also, in the "trip" section on the dash. It says from reset and from start.I assume from reset is your average since you reset and from start is your average since you started the car but my from start average L/100km was much lower than it should have been for that last half hour drive, only 1L/100km over my whole average and it also said the car had been on for, So from start said 3:09 but it was a half hour drive.

Finally, wtf is the coffee cup image on the display. My friend said he thought it was a reminder you've been driving too long and to freshen up, a safety precaution but it's never gone away. While I'm at it, below it is the image of a car in a lane but I don't think I have lane departure, so what is that?
Spend a few minutes and read through your manual... A lot of your questions can be answered there.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
Spend a few minutes and read through your manual... A lot of your questions can be answered there.
Shane - try this:
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals

The 'from start' is set up to combine several stop/starts along the same trip. If you left the house at 8, stopped for gas at 8:15, stopped for coffee at 8:30 and arrived at work at 8:45, it would measure time back to the original start and show about 45 minutes.

Coffee cup says drowsiness alert is turned on. If the car thinks your behavior indicates that you are getting sleepy, it'll buzz you.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55

We have an Xpipe that will work with the OEM system and deletes the secondary cats.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
10.) Auto Folding mirrors - to turn off. Use the < > arrows to get to the Sett. menu. Press up down arrows to get to the Convenience submenu. Press OK button. Press up down arrows to get to the Auto. Mirror Folding function. Choose the setting you want using the up down arrows and press OK to accept the setting.

Get a copy of the online manual listed above!