Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C63 AMG (W204)
Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning >

Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning

Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning

 
Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
deanmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 153
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Coupe
Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning

Just wanted to share a friendly run I did with a friend, comparing our tunes. This is my second ECU tune, went from Weistec to OE, but I'm seriously considering a retune by HD after this. My car made 462whp/422 tq peak on the dyno, and his is making about 20 more on same dyno. Mods are listed in the video. I'd love to hear any experiences you guys have had with HD.

Edit: Mods listed below
Silver C63(lead car): P31 package, ROW airbox, AFE filters, Benzworks headers, 2nd cat delete, HD tuning custom dyno tune, 100 oct., Hoosier drag slicks.
Black C63 (camera car): ROW airbox, OEM filters, Benzworks headers, OE tuning stage 2 tune, 91 oct., Nitto NT555 drag radials.



​​​​

Last edited by deanmc; 08-14-2018 at 03:01 PM.
deanmc is offline  
Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
skratch77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,679
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 E55
You got walked! I would run pro drys and cut out the second cats and run 100 oct and load up the race map oetuning gave you.
skratch77 is offline  
Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Playa Del Rey, CA
Posts: 140
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 C63 AMG Sedan
Love HD. The pops are insane and the power gains are the real deal. I'd prefer to keep them a secret but perhaps it's too late !
SatelliteMan is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Savage-wp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 778
Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Is HD a canned tune, or is it a custom Dyno tune.
You can't beat a custom tune
Savage-wp is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:47 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
I am Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: eNyCe
Posts: 2,281
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
The way your friend "walked you" is definitely more than just "20" horsepower...
I am Jeff is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,635
Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by I am Jeff View Post
The way your friend "walked you" is definitely more than just "20" horsepower...
I have seen the graphs they have. 20 is peak hp difference. in the midrange HD is making 40+ whp difference IIRC. again, that's not exact but what I think I remember. regardless, it was pretty healthy.
chrisridebike8 is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 03:00 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
deanmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 153
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by skratch77 View Post
You got walked! I would run pro drys and cut out the second cats and run 100 oct and load up the race map oetuning gave you.
I didn't get the handheld, just a flash tune so no race map, unfortunately. Updated the OP with list of mods.

Originally Posted by SatelliteMan View Post
Love HD. The pops are insane and the power gains are the real deal. I'd prefer to keep them a secret but perhaps it's too late !
I've heard nothing but good things about HD! Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Savage-wp View Post
Is HD a canned tune, or is it a custom Dyno tune. You can't beat a custom tune
You're right, the HD tune is a dyno tune, his car is really dialed in.

Originally Posted by I am Jeff View Post
The way your friend "walked you" is definitely more than just "20" horsepower...
Graphs show 20 peak whp, but midrange and down low consistently making huge gains. I've updated the OP with list of mods. Weird thing is we were dead even from a dig.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
I have seen the graphs they have. 20 is peak hp difference. in the midrange HD is making 40+ whp difference IIRC. again, that's not exact but what I think I remember. regardless, it was pretty healthy.
You nailed it, it's the consistent hp and tq difference throughout the entire range. Going to install filters and run 100 oct and see if there's a difference.
deanmc is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63 AMG
20 more whp 91 oct vs. 100 oct?

Also, would like to see both cars running the same octane to see where they compare. OP if you don't have a 100 oct. map from OE then don't waste your time because it's not going to do much unless you are tuned for it.

A custom tune will always be better than a canned if the tuner knows what he/she is doing.
eazy-e90 is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:50 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,954
Received 1,278 Likes on 856 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
Betweeen the filters, 2nd cat delete and 100oct tune, those alone could account for the beating you took in the video above.

I’m not at all convinced that the HD tune is the primary difference-maker here. 2nd cat delete by itself is worth ~20whp IIRC.
BLKROKT is online now  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:49 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT View Post
Betweeen the filters, 2nd cat delete and 100oct tune, those alone could account for the beating you took in the video above.

Iím not at all convinced that the HD tune is the primary difference-maker here. 2nd cat delete by itself is worth ~20whp IIRC.
I'm not so sure about the secondary cat delete actually adding any power. I did a before and after secondary cat delete dyno and didn't see any gains. Purely sound.
nardobenz is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 968
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 c63 AMG and 2011 GLK 350
Are you kidding? 91 octane vs 100 octane. Thatís the difference right there. These cars love higher octane.
AMGonFire is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGonFire View Post
Are you kidding? 91 octane vs 100 octane. Thatís the difference right there. These cars love higher octane.
I agree. Plus HD tuning is the sh*t hahah
nardobenz is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 968
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 c63 AMG and 2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by nardobenz View Post
I agree. Plus HD tuning is the sh*t hahah
i donít know about that. However if itís a custom tune on top of it vs an ots tune thatís another big one.
AMGonFire is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 01:23 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Playa Del Rey, CA
Posts: 140
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 C63 AMG Sedan
They have both the flash tune and a custom dyno tune. 10-20 whp difference of gains depending on how healthy your car is and relative mods.
SatelliteMan is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:47 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
kimeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Africa
Posts: 450
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS
Originally Posted by BLKROKT View Post
Betweeen the filters, 2nd cat delete and 100oct tune, those alone could account for the beating you took in the video above.

Iím not at all convinced that the HD tune is the primary difference-maker here. 2nd cat delete by itself is worth ~20whp IIRC.
I don't think there are any gains with 2nd cat delete.
I did mine, and didn't feel or see a difference in dyno results or trap speeds.

I definitely think you need to run the correct fuel, as well as tune your car for it and run again.
Compare apples with apples.
kimeran is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:00 AM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by skratch77 View Post
You got walked! I would run pro drys and cut out the second cats and run 100 oct and load up the race map oetuning gave you.
...and in reference to this above(no flame Skratch)

i run the aFe pro dry filters with charcoal removed like most everyone else
....BUT....
when BIP was tuning my car on the dyno previously the shop owner stated that the ROW boxes did indeed matter but that the filters made zero difference whatsoever....next time i went by i actually took my OE paper filters with me and sure enough when i ran it back to back they were within 2hp of each other(and that was with the aFe filters in on 1st pull so 2nd pull with paper had more heat soak). A really dialed in tune does make a huge difference but im going to have to give most of this credit to the octane difference as well.

And are you guys really running 91oct???? i have never run less than 93 in mine but then again most suppliers where i live only have 87,89,93
jptaylor is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
skratch77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,679
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 E55
I have taken my car to the dyno 4 separate times and every time the car made the most power on the second and third pull.

same at the track. The second and third run would be the best runs.

all the oils get hot and thin and the ECU adapts and gives it all got.
skratch77 is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,635
Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by jptaylor View Post
...and in reference to this above(no flame Skratch)

i run the aFe pro dry filters with charcoal removed like most everyone else
....BUT....
when BIP was tuning my car on the dyno previously the shop owner stated that the ROW boxes did indeed matter but that the filters made zero difference whatsoever....next time i went by i actually took my OE paper filters with me and sure enough when i ran it back to back they were within 2hp of each other(and that was with the aFe filters in on 1st pull so 2nd pull with paper had more heat soak). A really dialed in tune does make a huge difference but im going to have to give most of this credit to the octane difference as well.

And are you guys really running 91oct???? i have never run less than 93 in mine but then again most suppliers where i live only have 87,89,93
Itís California. We donít have greater than 91 at the pump. There are some places with 100 but itís about CA worrying that 93 will not be completely burned and will increase emissions.
chrisridebike8 is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by skratch77 View Post
I have taken my car to the dyno 4 separate times and every time the car made the most power on the second and third pull.

same at the track. The second and third run would be the best runs.

all the oils get hot and thin and the ECU adapts and gives it all got.
may be geographical then as my car is never cool when i get to the dyno....the nearest one to me that i use is 170mi so when i get there the fluids are already plenty hot, loose and all "fluidy". Given these circumstances my 1st pull has always been my strongest(unless of course we tuned after 1st pull). But either way 2whp variable from pull to pull i am almost certain would qualify as acceptable differential. Pro drys in mine and they will stay but what they told then showed me was that i wasted my money.
jptaylor is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 AM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post


Itís California. We donít have greater than 91 at the pump. There are some places with 100 but itís about CA worrying that 93 will not be completely burned and will increase emissions.

man that is cRaZy!!!!! there are stations here that sell everything from 87 to 104 and as far as emissions are concerned i could literally run on baby seal blood and stripper glitter and no one would ever even know, much less say anything.
jptaylor is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by jptaylor:
BLKROKT (08-15-2018), rexiferp (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:41 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
INS1GNIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,221
Received 213 Likes on 163 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31 | '98 3000GT
Originally Posted by jptaylor View Post
i could literally run on baby seal blood and stripper glitter and no one would ever even know, much less say anything.
I would love to see the backfire/pops from that mix of awesomeness.
INS1GNIA is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA View Post
I would love to see the backfire/pops from that mix of awesomeness.
VERY closely resembles the phenomena when unicorns and clowns orgasm simultaneously.....it really is quite magical
jptaylor is offline  
The following users liked this post:
INS1GNIA (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:08 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,635
Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA View Post
I would love to see the backfire/pops from that mix of awesomeness.
the exhaust would smell like single moms and broken dreams.
chrisridebike8 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BalanBro (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:40 PM
  #24  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
the exhaust would smell like single moms and broken dreams.
I TOTALLY support single moms!!!!
jptaylor is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 05:21 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 401
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
it like he stole it.
Originally Posted by jptaylor View Post
man that is cRaZy!!!!! there are stations here that sell everything from 87 to 104 and as far as emissions are concerned i could literally run on baby seal blood and stripper glitter and no one would ever even know, much less say anything.
LOL!

Yeah, Cali sucks for a lot of things, but there is 100oct available at some pumps, for $9-10 per gallon.
Can mix in a few gallons with the 91oct to achieve 93oct or higher, depending on preference.
MBNRG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: