C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber Issues After Lowered, How To Fix Without Using KMAC Products?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2021 | 08:47 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Camber Issues After Lowered, How To Fix Without Using KMAC Products?

KMAC, Please do not reply as I am not interested after reading many reviews across many sites with different car brands. I have also seen your replies to most of these posts.

I will be getting KW v3 when my wheels turn up from being manufactured but don’t know what to do about camber issues created after lowering. Pretty much every thread ive seen on multiple forums the KMAC make alot of noise which I don’t want anything squeaking or knocking. I have also read at least two pretty bad failures from their camber bushes they sell & numerous posts about fittings working their way loose. So unfortunately I am not interested in any of their products.

As the car will be going low I have read others with KW V3’s & coilovers in general having front camber over 3 degree front and over 2.5 degree rear after installation!

What other tested brands offer products to help this other than getting someone to custom make billet adjustable arms? I have found SPC offer rubber camber bushes but then it says application not suitable for AMG models, the only other company I have seen is Hardrace which make rear control arms. I am trying to stay away from anything rose jointed if possible.

Does anyone else offer offset rubber control arm bushes or adjustable camber arms that are not rose jointed/spherical bearings?, Maybe other models/brand offset camber bushes will fit if I knew the original measurements of the bush.

Last edited by Phil_T; 08-06-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2021 | 11:03 AM

B5S4, 2013 P31 C63
In the same boat. I spent about 3 hours last night reading a lot of threads and there are no clear-cut answers. You probably already know about the below, but for the sake of future reference, I've summarized what I learned.

For example, some folks thought UPD might initially be a good solution, but over the long term and for the applications they are used, it looks like not (noise, hitting parts of vehicle).

Others have mentioned F1 Fabrications. However, it didn't appear to me a lot of people run them. And there are concerns about durability.

Renntech is too expensive and probably doesn't get the job done we/you are looking for.

SDW has some creative applications. That said, these look spherical, so not what you're seeking.

Some folks like Mort seemed to have a good experience w/ KMAC. Reviews are mixed.

The Machinist is doing some interesting things, which you and I know about. Untested though.

Last edited by ghh923; 08-06-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2021 | 11:14 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by ghh923
As noted in my related thread, I'm in the same boat. I spent about 3 hours last night reading a lot of threads, and there are no clear-cut answers. You probably already know about the below, but for the sake of future reference, I've summarized what I learned.

For example, some folks thought UPD might initially be a good solution, but over the long term and for the applications they are used, it looks like not (noise, hitting parts of vehicle).

Others have mentioned F1 Fabrications, though it didn't appear to me a lot of people run them, and there are concerns about durability.

Renntech is too expensive and probably doesn't get the job done we/you are looking for.

SDW has some creative applications. That said, these look spherical, so not what you're seeking.

Some folks like Mort seemed to have a good experience on KMAC. Reviews are mixed.

The Machinist is doing some interesting things, though you're following that thread as I am. Unclear what the solution will be and how good it will be there.
Yeah that is pretty much everything I have read, I just need the adjustment but still using factory rubber bushes. I have spoken to The Machinist but he is busy with other things to carry on the project at the moment. I am just looking for options now so they can be resolved before my wheels turn up.

The only option I have seen so far is Hardrace adjustable rear camber arms as they use a rubber bush. I have read a few things about them on BMW M3 forums and alot of Honda forums and have yet to see any negative things about them (especially the rubber options)

The options for the front are KW camber plates but I am pretty sure you cannot run these with KW V3 which I wanted to get because they have lifetime warranty on the coilovers. The KW clubsports have front camber plates but the suspension has only 3 month warranty and costs an extra £500 more (around $800)

I don’t understand how this platform 2008-2014 with numerous threads still has no solution, like I said the only options I have seen have quality, noise issues or both.

At the moment not lowered the fronts last around 10,000 miles and the rears 5-6000 miles so I hate to think what they will be like going lower and basically double the camber because you cannot adjust it to correct it to within factory specs.

Last edited by Phil_T; 08-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2021 | 12:18 PM

B5S4, 2013 P31 C63
One thing I'll say: I did not see nearly as much critical commentary on the KM strut mounts, which is what you and I would be looking at for camber adjustments with the KW v3s. Mostly it's been limited to the bushings? Mort runs the plates and, as I noted, he seems pretty content. I think we could try adjusting camber and caster from the plate, rather than the bushing.

Last edited by ghh923; 08-06-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2021 | 01:16 PM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by ghh923
One thing I'll say: I did not see nearly as much critical commentary on the KM strut mounts, which is what you and I would be looking at for camber adjustments with the KW v3s. Mostly it's been limited to the bushings? Mort runs the plates and, as I noted, he seems pretty content. I think we could try adjusting camber and caster from the plate, rather than the bushing.
Yeah I think it’s mainly bushing failure, fittings working their way loose and noise. I will have to search more on their camber top mounts and rear control arms. I do know the control arms didn’t have rubber bushes though but can no longer find a picture of them online.
Old 08-06-2021 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Couple of options:

1) Just get KW Clubsports which come with front camber plates. Combine with UPD arms for the rear (upgrade the sphericals and grind down the frame edge first), or use whatever arms Machinist comes up with.

2) The KMAC front camber plates are of extremely high quality, I ran Wobble64’s old set on stock suspension and loved them. In fact I think they’re better than what KW ships with the CS, wish I had kept them. If you just want to add them to V3 I think that could be a winning combo.

As you’ve pointed out, I would not use any adjustable bushings on any of the control arms. Just haven’t had luck with them, they slip and strip, and they have all seized in various ways making removal impossible without an air hammer.

I also wouldn’t touch the F1 Fabrication arms. Although I haven’t had them in hand, just comparing versus the OEM arms makes me believe that they wouldn’t be at all durable. Plus I wouldn’t really want poly in there.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 08-06-2021 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Silversun262 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021 | 02:49 PM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Couple of options:

1) Just get KW Clubsports which come with front camber plates. Combine with UPD arms for the rear (upgrade the sphericals and grind down the frame edge first), or use whatever arms Machinist comes up with.

2) The KMAC front camber plates are of extremely high quality, I ran Wobble64’s old set on stock suspension and loved them. In fact I think they’re better than what KW ships with the CS, wish I had kept them. If you just want to add them to V3 I think that could be a winning combo.

As you’ve pointed out, I would not use any adjustable bushings on any of the control arms. Just haven’t had luck with them, they slip and strip, and they have all seized in various ways making removal impossible without an air hammer.

I also wouldn’t touch the F1 Fabrication arms. Although I haven’t had them in hand, just comparing versus the OEM arms makes me believe that they wouldn’t be at all durable. Plus I wouldn’t really want poly in there.
Thanks for the reply.

Option 1 means I only get 3 months warranty on clubsports compared to lifetime warranty on the v3’s, with the UPD arms I don’t really want to grind the frame but my main concern is the ends is there no way to change it for a rubber fitting like below? Ive tried to search for what this rod end is called or anyone that sells them but had no luck.

Option 2 helps with the front but what about the rear? Like I said I would rather have a camber arm with rubber bush but I have only found one option (See below) & making my own seems impossible because no one makes a v shape rear bar to clear the frame etc and I have no idea where to start to get rubber filled joints for the ends.

Yeah I am staying away from F1 after a few things I have seen. A few of the E63 guys run them and he has changed them from poly to rubber, But its the arms & end quality I have seen issues with.

Last edited by Phil_T; 08-06-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2021 | 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Haven't posted in a while... Thought I'd chime in.

I'm running KW V3s and Kmac front Plates... I had them machined to get more positive camber as these are made to go more Neg than Positive. I've had zero camber wear issues on my front tires since.

ghh923 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-06-2021 | 07:56 PM

86 Targa, 91 560SEL, 06 E55 Estate, 13 C2S, 21 MACAN GTS, 05 R6 Track, 15 R3 RACE BIKE
Couple of options:

I ran both the F1 arms. Do not go here. The heim joints are noisy after any water gets in, and the bushings failed. I went back to stock.
ghh923 (08-09-2021)
Old 08-06-2021 | 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
If you run a track tire like an R888r it also helps the tire wear because they were intended to run 2-3* negative as well. Any normal street tire will quickly die. Any highway non-performance tire will fail even quicker. Just throwing that out there as well.
Old 08-07-2021 | 12:42 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by Rsquad911
Haven't posted in a while... Thought I'd chime in.

I'm running KW V3s and Kmac front Plates... I had them machined to get more positive camber as these are made to go more Neg than Positive. I've had zero camber wear issues on my front tires since.
The camber plates made them more negative? I thought the idea of them was to give both more positive and negative? Do you have any pictures of how much you had to machine?

Originally Posted by Silversun262
I ran both the F1 arms. Do not go here. The heim joints are noisy after any water gets in, and the bushings failed. I went back to stock.
Thanks, yeah ive seen snapped endlinks and stressed bar material too.

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
If you run a track tire like an R888r it also helps the tire wear because they were intended to run 2-3* negative as well. Any normal street tire will quickly die. Any highway non-performance tire will fail even quicker. Just throwing that out there as well.
I will be running Conti Sport 6 as too much rain here in UK for R888 & I had issues with Michelin PSS before, so I staying away from PS4 as the same issues I had on PSS ive seen people complaining about the PS4.
Old 08-07-2021 | 05:47 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Phil T & ghh923 – know you say don't chime in, but what the heck – at the end of the day it's all about “EVALUATING YOURSELF 1ST. HAND”.

So private email your addresses and will express air, no cost:

“Not Rear Soft billet Alloy” upper Camber arms, but one set of KMAC “HI-STRENGTH HOT FORGED ALLOY” - same as OEM. #502226-1M

Along with mount bushes we have designed to outperform spherical or delrin type bushings.

Plus:
Latest design Rear Lower Arm Camber Bush kit #502326K

Once Rear Camber adjustment there is insufficient Toe, so BOTH ABOVE KMAC KITS INCLUDE EXTRA TOE – doubling existing range.

You both decide who gets what (lower arm kit includes bush extraction tool, easy access to adjust and retains top of tire to outer fender clearance).

BLKROKT – Gratifying to see your feedback re the KMAC front upper Strut mount adjusters. We haven't been sitting on our hands – now with even more features including even more Pos. and Neg. adjustment for both the Stage 2 STREET / RACE & the Stage 3 FULL RACE adjusters.

What say / forward you also no cost / express air #502616-1G kit. This is “VERY LATEST FRONT LOWER ARM” INNER CAMBER BUSH KIT.

Sure you will be impressed – Strength, Biggest & Quickest adjustment system. Fit on car without need for arm removal. Nothing out there that comes close #502616-1G.

Phil T & ghh923 are currently in the market for Front and Rear adjusters (so if your not) – I could send this front #502616-1G onto them (who – ever more in need).

OR..... Send for your critical inspection / examination, then post on !?

THEN MEMBERS CAN AWAIT FEEDBACK / REPORTING re the entire upper and lower “Front” & “Rear” kits !

Yes KMAC certainly creates controversy taking on the aftermarket role of designing, creating adjuster kits. Resolving OEM shortcomings. Last count total is 106 P/N's for Mercedes Benz models. Let alone “30” other makes AUDI to VOLVO !

But we find controversy is whole lot better then sitting on the fence, unblemished record – doing nothing flawlessly. Merely copying, plagiarising others exhaustive design and development efforts.

Elon Musk Space X program (or the new car industry) its all about mistakes made - then “constant ongoing” development (anything and everything can be improved).

Best Regards, Kevin
The following 6 users liked this post by K-Mac:
AshBNE (08-08-2021), BLKROKT (08-09-2021), ghh923 (08-08-2021), GRP (08-07-2021), G_Money (08-07-2021), saint13 (08-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-2021 | 09:08 AM

C63
Couple of options:

Do you have a link to the sphericals you upgraded to on the UPD arms? I haven't put mine on yet and wouldn't mind doing it off the bat.
Old 11-16-2022 | 09:37 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
I just want to update this with a thanks to Kevin @ Kmac for supplying the parts that I have now fitted. The rear adjustable camber arms are very well made & I have paired these with rear adjustable Renntech toe arms. I will update when I get some more miles on them as I have only just had all the suspension, wheels, braces, arms fitted. I also need to still sort my front spoon collar issues with spoon but the rears fitted fine. I have adjustable end links with spherical bearings that I had made too which I need the manufacturer to remake the fronts but the rears are on.

Last edited by Phil_T; 11-16-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2022 | 06:14 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Hi - Do appreciate your input re the W204 rear adjustable upper Camber arms!

#2. With all Mercedes Benz models - these upper arm kits “we also include” Toe adjustment (doubling the existing adjustment range) to cater for the new rear Camber facility.

#3. Have attached leaflet on the “TOTAL SYSTEM” we manufacture for the W204 including AMG and Black Series. Besides adjuster kits uprated bushings for the 6 rear multi link arms along with uprated subframe bushes catering for Street through to Full Race!

#4. OEM there being only front and rear Toe “directional” adjustment (no adjustment to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear) and taking on the role therefore of creating front Camber and Caster along with rear Camber (and extra Toe) kits does land us in controversy.

But as Ferdinand Porsche stated if you don’t make mistakes “you’re not really trying” and we have been trying.... Revolutionizing how adjustment is made:

Inventors and Patentees for the two basic suspensions - “Struts” Quickest and biggest adjustment system and “Wishbones” - sliding adjustable ball joints. While adjustable “Bushings” - with KMAC “no more the time consuming” removal and replacement when need for setting change. Now precise single wrench adjustment on car accurately under load.

#5. Looking back there were two mistakes / issues re lower arm adjustable bush kits. The necessity for full tightness otherwise resulting in loose bolts, noise, failure.

Virtually all lock nuts have reverse teeth and full tightness is essential. We therefore saw the need and invented a locking system where now impossible for a nut to inadvertently loosen.

#6. Second issue was front bushings at time of alignment if excess force applied centers could separate. It’s all about making things bullet proof. So we redesigned so impossible to separate. Centers now one integral unit. So yes “Anything and everything” can be improved and we are always in there doing just that.

-Kevin

Click Spoiler for W204 Leaflet

Spoiler

Last edited by K-Mac; 11-17-2022 at 07:09 PM.