Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White

Yes indeed my 10th one and it all started a long time ago with a sweet 2001 E55. Along the way I've had some tremendous rides and have held on to my two faves: 16 AMG GTS and the C63 BS. I recently had an F82 M4 and wanted a change to a more raw loud beast with a better interior and I got exactly that with the C63S Coupe. A few mods later and its pretty much set. I did one test drive and then had my dealer locate what I wanted, for the most part and took the car.

Some initial thoughts: The MCT on this car (I've had 5 others) is the best one thus far. Ill assume it has a lot to do with the drive modes and the ECU/TCU because I always felt the MCT was a bit sluggish. This car is not the case and the transmission performs very well. There are times where I can't even discern the difference between it and the DCT in the GTS. Sport Plus really understands where the car should be (in D mode during traffic) and its always got the power ready and available. Finally proper transmission electronics are mated up with the MCT. Now I have tuned the car and it really moves- the M177 engine is no slouch already and it feels almost as fast as my tuned M178 GTS. The throttle and the tq on tap in the USABLE ranges of the rpms is awesome and I never feel like I'm in the wrong gear (in D mode). It just flat out flies and I do think the tune helps the MCT in response.

For the first few hundred miles my car was on stock suspension and the car did feel very stiff; even moreso than my GTS which has the magnetorheological dampeners. It was, at times, a bit of a kidney punch and bouncy. I opted to keep the OEM dampeners and use the KW HAS system. I have used this system many times in the past and have zero regrets. I think on this car its probably the best yet. I have a more extreme drop (1 1/2 inches still remain in the front shockingly and the back is maxed out) and the car is more compliant and comfortable than it was stock. It really feels that much better and more planted vs the compression and rebound (excessive) that was coming with the stock springs. I run the car in the sport suspension set up (1 light on) and its optimal for my needs. I am very pleased because AMG suspensions have not always left me wanting more (sans the GTS and BS).

The interior is great, like my GTS and very comfortable. The car my dealer sourced had to have the P3 package, Performance Exhaust, Night Styling, and the AMG carbon fiber adds. At first I thought I might regret not getting the Performance seats but I'm very happy with the comfort of the Sport seats. They do lack a little bit of lateral support which I'm used to in my other rides but its a GT car in reality for cruising and crushing. Oh the car had a 91k msrp.

Is the car faster than my departed M4? Yes it was stock vs stock and yes tuned vs tuned. It probably was just a slight bit slower than my tuned M4 before I tuned it. I really enjoy the steering feel in the C63S over the M4. The M had a bit of moderate oversteer and this car has minimal at best. Again it compares well with the steering in the GTS. I am happy with my choice for a daily abuser/commuter and it will match up well with my M5 for basic day to day driving.

Initial basic mods:

KW HAS Sleeves
OE Tuning M177 ECU Tune
18mm spacers front and rear
30% Ceramic Tint
Xpel Clear Bra

Many thanks to Benzworks in Huntington Beach, CA. They are a sponsor here and quickly sourced my springs and installed the tune too. They have been my Benz go to since 2007 and much more (other makes that Ive had or have). The ECU I heard was a PITA to pull but they have done many and had no issues. Supremepower in Placentia, CA sourced the spacers and Eric the owner is a top tier guy allowing me to try on different ones until I picked what I wanted. If you are local or even out of state I recommend using him and Benzworks for your part sourcing. OE Tuning has been tuning all my Benzes, some Porsches, Bentley, Ferrari, M cars, and a few others since 2004. I trust Jeremy (owner) with his product and service. Ive probably done over 30 tunes (including upgrades on the same cars) and remain loyal to him especially when it comes to Benz. The gains in tq and hp thru the sweet spot ranges are so good; the car is transformed and dare I say that with 503 SAE HP in stock set up.

Cell phone pics:

Attached Thumbnails My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-side-view.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-rear-view.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-rear-side.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-front-angle.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-front-wheel.jpg  

My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-front-wheel-side-angle.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-rear-wheel.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-rear-wheel-side-angle.jpg   My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White-interior.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Vic55:
masar (01-20-2017), spartan1984 (05-04-2021)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
As rod stewart says, some guys have all the luck! Congratulations, that's one cool ride!
How do you like the two license plate protecters on the rear bumper? Do you have plans of taking them out?
oh, and lastly, what do you do for a living? Hahaha, jk!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
Looks great. Thank you for your thoughts on the KW hAS that is what I am looking at once it stops snowing. I was worried that it may effect the stock controls but looks like it should fit my needs perfectly.
Congrats on the new car!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by mo11
As rod stewart says, some guys have all the luck! Congratulations, that's one cool ride!
How do you like the two license plate protecters on the rear bumper? Do you have plans of taking them out?
oh, and lastly, what do you do for a living? Hahaha, jk!
I'm ok with the "bumperettes" as I have them on the GTS too. I really do not notice them all too much. Ill just leave them as removing them would require a respray.

Originally Posted by bgm130
Looks great. Thank you for your thoughts on the KW hAS that is what I am looking at once it stops snowing. I was worried that it may effect the stock controls but looks like it should fit my needs perfectly.
Congrats on the new car!
I have to say the KW HAS on this car makes a great difference. Who knows why AMG made their set up so stiff but the KW's bring the car back to life. I have tested so many of my cars on the same roads with big high speed bends (100 mph plus) and sharp corners and this car does a strong job with good chassis response and limited "bounce". KW got the spring rates right here and I even went for a more extreme drop.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63S sedan
Car looks great congrats. Personally I would've raised the front just a tad but looks fantastic regardless.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
I'm usually not a fan of lowered cars, but wow! That drop looks amazing. Congrats on the ride vic!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Stunning car Vic. I very, very nearly switched to Diamond White and might have done but my car colour had "fixed" at the point I asked about the possibility. You've gone slightly lower than I personally like but great stance anyway.

I'm surprised you felt the stock suspension was stiff. Roads over here are likely to be worse and I've been quite happy with it in Comfort and Sports but I'm considering going KW plus spacers for aesthetics only.

Interesting comments on MCT vs DCT. I've been extremely impressed with the transmission on the C63 even vs the PDK in my 911 and noticeable better than the similar transmission in the RS6.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Vic55
I'm ok with the "bumperettes" as I have them on the GTS too. I really do not notice them all too much. Ill just leave them as removing them would require a respray.

I have to say the KW HAS on this car makes a great difference. Who knows why AMG made their set up so stiff but the KW's bring the car back to life. I have tested so many of my cars on the same roads with big high speed bends (100 mph plus) and sharp corners and this car does a strong job with good chassis response and limited "bounce". KW got the spring rates right here and I even went for a more extreme drop.
Thanks for that feedback, I'm very interested in KW HAS for my Coupe as well - I had concerns the spring rate would make it ride harsher, but happy to hear it seems to have improved (not to mentioned the drop looks mean).

Congrats on #10! Keep us posted on your mods!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
One word. Sweet.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
As Usual Vic is killin it.......again
Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Great review and insight Vic.

The cars looking great, I'm also looking at OE tuning in the future (I'm in OZ). Good to know you've used them before.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
I would agree with Re the MCT. The 2016-17 MCT is magnitudes better and in par with GTS, also the lag is almost non existent. I had the dealer do an adaptation and all I can say is OMG, smooth, quick and precise shifting.

Congratulations on your new ride.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Congrats my old friend. As usual, I seem to unknowingly follow your lead when it comes to picking my next car.......wait, that sounds too much like a psychic connection. The real reason is that you purchase so damn many cars that the odds are we'll all inevitably end up with at least one you've had.

First, beautiful car and I love the modification. I hope you plan to keep the oem wheels because the look great with the KWs and spacers.

So, I did ordered a C63s coupe from my dealer that should arrive in Feb/March but I've been having some second thoughts. I keep looking at the M4 with the Performance package and all of the M-performance trimmings and think this could be the better choice. I've had three M3's and loved every one. I know it comes down to personal preference but please give me your thoughts on picking one over the other. A couple of things that really concern me about the C63 coupe is it's incredible depreciation, so leasing is not a good option. I also read mixed reviews on the suspension and there are plenty of complaints about interior rattling. Rattles make me crazy!!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate the thoughts.

Originally Posted by Rock
Congrats my old friend. As usual, I seem to unknowingly follow your lead when it comes to picking my next car.......wait, that sounds too much like a psychic connection. The real reason is that you purchase so damn many cars that the odds are we'll all inevitably end up with at least one you've had.

First, beautiful car and I love the modification. I hope you plan to keep the oem wheels because the look great with the KWs and spacers.

So, I did ordered a C63s coupe from my dealer that should arrive in Feb/March but I've been having some second thoughts. I keep looking at the M4 with the Performance package and all of the M-performance trimmings and think this could be the better choice. I've had three M3's and loved every one. I know it comes down to personal preference but please give me your thoughts on picking one over the other. A couple of things that really concern me about the C63 coupe is it's incredible depreciation, so leasing is not a good option. I also read mixed reviews on the suspension and there are plenty of complaints about interior rattling. Rattles make me crazy!!
Dave how are you? Ill give you my quick thoughts about both cars. I had an M4 with the Competition Pack and the Performance parts. Its a very good car and clearly these choices we all have are a blessing. I'm no Fan Boy of either side but a loyalist to two. Ive now owned 10 AMG's and 8 M's so they both are fulfilling cars. And while the C now replaces the M, Ill try to give you perspective. I still have a tuned M5; that car is a freeway mad man.

Looks: even money its in the eye of the owner
Steering: AMG- more on point with less understeer
Chassis: The M gets the nod but only due to weight- the AMG really handles itself rather well for being around 4k lbs
Suspension: The M I found just a bit better in stock set up but with both having KW HAS the C pulls ahead IMHO with better feel over the roads at higher speeds and in the big bends. The M is more nimble though of course because of its lack of weight
Sound: The AMG crushes this one- The M Performance exhaust sounds better than the non Perf one but its still a tingy car vs a beast
Transmission: The DCT is hard to touch but the MCT coupled with the right drive logic makes a valiant effort
Interior: Subjective beyond a doubt but the AMG is the more luxurious car. The M just feels cheaper with its "plasticky" feel.
Acceleration: from a dig the AMG differential is superior and creates more grip even with its higher tq rating. The M cars of late really have traction issues.
Speed: Again the AMG shines here with more hp and terminal velocity thru the quarter and beyond.

The M is just a bit more on the sporty side while the AMG is more luxurious in look and feel. I know you have read about the suspension and some rattles but those are isolated incidents via a forum and you should know that. You need to drive the car and see how it feels in all the modes. I am really happy with the AMG but only time will tell how long I keep it. I don't understand your depreciation issue, both cars have it and if that's an issue then leasing would be the better option not the worse. Clearly you can steal an M4 right now for all the money but not so much a coupe by AMG. But that will change because AMG and M are not collector cars.

This was my M4 (tuned by Hex) and it was fast too-- trapping around 123mph in crap conditions but its not as fast as the tuned AMG- no chance:

and my M5

Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
Damn Sexy! Enjoy her in good health.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:22 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
you killed it buddy ! stunning, congrats
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG
Damn Sexy! Enjoy her in good health.
Originally Posted by SBH-
you killed it buddy ! stunning, congrats
Thanks again guys... my intent is always to make a clean machine but at the end of the day it has to drive better than or equal to its looks (thus why I once owned a Ferrari FF LOL). If any of you are considering a tune and understand the "pay to play" mentality I suggest you get one asap.

Ill say this, having gone thru a lot of nice cars that cost a lot of money is one thing and they usually have delivered an intrinsic value to offset it but in todays world we can really get great performance cars for a good price and this C class along with M and other competitive models really have raised the bar.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
Bro -

I logged in just to to your stable. Nice indeed...! Enjoy the new coupe in good health.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
GT3RS, 356, Raptor, M2, Sprinter 4x4
Nothing but the best Vic. Happy to see another beautiful car in your garage.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
Looks perfect. I think if I was to order the car again, would I get the dampening suspension or just get kwv3 from the beginning.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63S Convertible
Great looking cars Vic!
Some questions on KW HAS. How many hours of labor did it take? Do you need wheel alignment after changing to KW HAS?

KW doesn't have this for convertibles yet and can't wait.

Thank you,
Steve
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by C63SEd1
Great looking cars Vic!
Some questions on KW HAS. How many hours of labor did it take? Do you need wheel alignment after changing to KW HAS?

KW doesn't have this for convertibles yet and can't wait.

Thank you,
Steve
Steve, Im not sure how long it took because I left my car at the shop for the ECU tune as well. My best guess is a shop would charge about 3 hours of labor on it. Yes I had the car aligned after about 100 miles post drop of driving. There are no camber adjustments on the coupe i was told but the key is to get the toe set right to avoid wear and scrubbing. Remember my car is dropped more than most so my camber will be more aggressive.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Any full coilovers available yet for the coupe?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:40 PM
SPONSOR

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
G55
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Any full coilovers available yet for the coupe?
KWV3 is available for the coupe.

Vic, congrats on another amazing car!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by AutoTalent
KWV3 is available for the coupe.

Vic, congrats on another amazing car!
Are there different part numbers of the KWV3 for the Sedan & Coupe?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 10th AMG- 2017 C63S Coupe Diamond White