C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worried new C63 owner desperately needs help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be C43
Worried new C63 owner desperately needs help!

Hi

I am would really appreciate if someone could please help me with this.

I just picked up my C63 yesterday brand new (23 miles on the clock). I was really disappointed to find a number of small issues with the car. There is a stone chip and few scratches on the skirting which dealer is sending a smart repairer around to fix tomorrow. There are also wrinkles on the leather seat which look like it was caused by too many people getting in and out of the car.

The other thing I really worry about is the engine itself. Lifting up the bonnet, I can see the two turbo feeds look rusty (please see picture below). I really worry about this because the pictures of engines from other used C63 and C63s (W205) on Mercedes website don't even look rusty like that, mine is brand new. So if you currently own a C63, could you please confirm whether this is normal and yours also look like that when you picked up the car from brand new?

Also what do you think I should do about the minor damages above? apart from getting dealer to do the repair.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63AS Cabriolet
I have the same issues

Wrinkled seat and rusty turbos. Unfortunately, the seal bolster design is going to cause these wrinkle issues immediately. I am assuming the turbo issue is normal...
Old 03-03-2017, 11:20 AM

2015 BMW F80 M3 Sakhir Orange
That leather looks really dry - get some conditioner on it stat. I'm surprised they delivered it without treating it first.

Getting the dealer to repair is really your only option with the other damages. . . Just make sure they don't send a sales guy outside with a friggin touch up pen or anything. This one of the main reasons is why 5 years ago I started ordering all my cars to my own spec so there is no question of what happened to them before they arrive for me (and also because European Delivery is awesome).
Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
rust on turbine housing is 100% normal as soon as you drive it it burns off.
housing is cast iron.
just like when your car sits for a while brake rotors get like this.
The following users liked this post:
tonyms (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 435i GC
Originally Posted by SinistrMinistr
That leather looks really dry - get some conditioner on it stat. I'm surprised they delivered it without treating it first.

Getting the dealer to repair is really your only option with the other damages. . . Just make sure they don't send a sales guy outside with a friggin touch up pen or anything. This one of the main reasons is why 5 years ago I started ordering all my cars to my own spec so there is no question of what happened to them before they arrive for me (and also because European Delivery is awesome).
I would add never let the dealer detail or wash a new car. I instructed my SA to leave all the wrappings and protective bits on the car, don't wash it, don't detail it, don't touch it.
I'll inspect it at the lot and take it off their hands as it came from the factory and drive it to my trusted detailer for a new car treatment.
The following 3 users liked this post by famdeezy:
Gator_C63 (03-06-2017), IvanC63S (07-25-2020), Mbm6f (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by tekfoc
rust on turbine housing is 100% normal as soon as you drive it it burns off.
housing is cast iron.
just like when your car sits for a while brake rotors get like this.
+1
Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by famdeezy
I would add never let the dealer detail or wash a new car. I instructed my SA to leave all the wrappings and protective bits on the car, don't wash it, don't detail it, don't touch it.
I'll inspect it at the lot and take it off their hands as it came from the factory and drive it to my trusted detailer for a new car treatment.
Good move.
bdpdx (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 AM

2017 AMG C63 S
+1
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
C63 amg esate
Not as rusty as mine, not acceptable
Old 02-18-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
As a metallurgical engineer, some metals have a higher tendency to rust (oxidize) based on their electronegativity, and assuming the housing is cast iron then this will absolutely happen over time. Formation of FeO2 from iron (which makes up approximately 95% of the chemistry of cast iron with basically no alloying constituents, only carbon and oxygen) and oxygen from the air gets you that lovely rust look.

is rust bad immediately? No, in most cases like this an oxidative later can actually help to arrest further damage (or leaching of iron from the body of the cast iron piece.) So yes it isn’t pretty, but mechanically the part should still be okay. When you get very severe oxidation is when you get severe loss in mechanical properties.

as for the leather, unfortunately it’s happening soon, but get Used to leather (organic material) losing its rigidity over time. You could always put on a super styling synthetic cheetah print seat cover (kidding).
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM

C63 amg esate
[QUOTE=FirstMBAMG;7384037]
As a metallurgical engineer, some metals have a higher tendency to rust (oxidize) based on their electronegativity, and assuming the housing is cast iron then this will absolutely happen over time. Formation of FeO2 from iron (which makes up approximately 95% of the chemistry of cast iron with basically no alloying constituents, only carbon and oxygen) and oxygen from the air gets you that lovely rust look.

is rust bad immediately? No, in most cases like this an oxidative later can actually help to arrest further damage (or leaching of iron from the body of the cast iron piece.) So yes it isn’t pretty, but mechanically the part should still be okay. When you get very severe oxidation is when you get severe loss in mechanical properties.

as for the leather, unfortunately it’s happening soon, but get Used to leather (organic material) losing its rigidity over time. You could always put on a super styling synthetic cheetah print seat cover (kidding).
Not acceptable on a brand new car 1 day old.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM

C63 amg esate
My car is brand new, not acceptable, rust doesn’t happen like that in a week
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I don’t disagree, I wouldn’t be happy about that either and it’s sucky to see your brand new car has rust on it.

But, hopefully it gives you peace of mind knowing that all turbos typically have this issue. High heat, most likely not perfectly dry climate, and highly corrosive metal, rust even like that can happen in hours. And if you have a cast iron skillet, you can run the experiment, visible rusting can happen in minutes. Maybe they will see that and replace it though if you bug them enough?
Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 PM

C63 amg esate
My previous one didn’t have it in over 2 years.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Porsche 911, C63S AMG, 300CE 24
I would not accept the turbos rusty like that, mine have never been rusty and I have never seen rust disappear from a turbo after driving (I have and have had lots of turbo cars, happy to be proven wrong here).

Part of the AMG experience is to have that lovely engine to look at, at least complain and return the car if the rust isn't gone after a few drives.

I think the quality of the leather is questionable on the newer cars, MB should at least offer synthetic as an option. Lower spec cars with synthetic leather hold up so much better than nappa cars, mine looked tired after a month of use. We really should stop with leather all together, much better synthetic and cruelty free materials available.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 991s, 2015 macan turbo, 2018 c63s
I just checked my turbos on my 2 wk old coupe and there is absolutely no rust.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
C63S Coupe/CLA45
What the hell is that? Is your car convertible? The seats look terrible! That rust is not right but it depends on where you live I am in dry San Diego and after 1 year no sign of rust. I am sorry to point out all your concern so direct but please have that evaluated.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by tonyms
Hi

I am would really appreciate if someone could please help me with this.

I just picked up my C63 yesterday brand new (23 miles on the clock). I was really disappointed to find a number of small issues with the car. There is a stone chip and few scratches on the skirting which dealer is sending a smart repairer around to fix tomorrow. There are also wrinkles on the leather seat which look like it was caused by too many people getting in and out of the car.

The other thing I really worry about is the engine itself. Lifting up the bonnet, I can see the two turbo feeds look rusty (please see picture below). I really worry about this because the pictures of engines from other used C63 and C63s (W205) on Mercedes website don't even look rusty like that, mine is brand new. So if you currently own a C63, could you please confirm whether this is normal and yours also look like that when you picked up the car from brand new?

Also what do you think I should do about the minor damages above? apart from getting dealer to do the repair.

Many thanks in advance!

W.T.F!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Leather looks bad, unacceptable. The dealer can order replacement leather seat face/ covers.

Rust on turbine housing?
Where was your car built ? Germany? It took a cruise on a cargo ship and sniffed salty vapors.
Your car is not days old but months and the ocean voyage takes weeks.
Then it sits in the harbor free trade zone, sniffing more salt, till the dealer trucks come.
Cast iron rust protects the cast iron.
When you are out of the break in and can give the car some go, that housing won't heat up to red, but to yellow. The rust will turn to a dark crust which is how all turbine housings look like.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
C63 aren't coming out of Germany but Alabama
Danielofl (07-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Bmw
Originally Posted by ScoponeCazzone
C63 aren't coming out of Germany but Alabama
Correct me if I am wrong but all coupes are built in Germany while the sedans in the U.S.
That leather though....not acceptable if car is brand new.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 AM

C63 amg esate
My C63S estate was built at Stuttgart Germany.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The turbo rust is most likely due to someone getting the engine bay wet. Possibly part of the detail. Purely cosmetic and no cause for alarm. You could pop that cover off and clean it with a stainless steel brush fairly easily.

The seat sounds like an issue you should have noticed before you took delivery. Car was probably in the showroom and had people in and out of it despite not being driven. Happens to cars at the auto show. Try a leather conditioner or just don't worry about it. That little bit of wrinkling is hardly cause for concern, and a replacement seat cover as suggested above will never fit as tight as the original one, if you're not happy with this you won't be happy if they replace the cover.

I understand these are expensive cars, but boy you guys get up in arms about some small issues. A quick inspection before you bought the car would have solved all of this.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
PaulE550 (02-19-2018), RDOCA (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The turbo rust is most likely due to someone getting the engine bay wet. Possibly part of the detail. Purely cosmetic and no cause for alarm. You could pop that cover off and clean it with a stainless steel brush fairly easily.

The seat sounds like an issue you should have noticed before you took delivery. Car was probably in the showroom and had people in and out of it despite not being driven. Happens to cars at the auto show. Try a leather conditioner or just don't worry about it. That little bit of wrinkling is hardly cause for concern, and a replacement seat cover as suggested above will never fit as tight as the original one, if you're not happy with this you won't be happy if they replace the cover.

I understand these are expensive cars, but boy you guys get up in arms about some small issues. A quick inspection before you bought the car would have solved all of this.
No,the rust is not part of the detailing, I’ve never seen it on any of my cars apart from the present one.

I had the driver’s seat bolster replaced under warranty on my old W204 C63 and it was perfect, no problems whatsoever.

I thought about looking at the engine when picking the car up but I just couldn’t wait to drive it away, I certainly wouldn’t have taken it had I seen the rust.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
C63S Coupe/CLA45

Here is mine. 1year 4300mile, Garaged, never driven in rain and always wiped dry and used blower to push as much water out of bay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worried new C63 owner desperately needs help!