C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil top up and favored grade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
Oil top up and favored grade?

I've only done about 3000 miles so far in my C63S, but I'm just about to do a 2500 mile tour of France, Italy and Swiss alps passes.

Having owned a few V8 performance cars before, some have been known to burn oil and need topping up every 5000 or so miles.

With this in mind I'm keen to get your feedback on how you have found the C63 for oil usage between services and if you have needed to top up, how often?

Also, as I dont want to be left with no oil in the middle of the Swiss Apls Im planning to get some before I go so, what oil have you all been using?

Mercedes seem to favor the 0W-40 as listed here: http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
I have now done 23tkms with my C63S, and two annual maintenances. Driving in German autobahns and French alps. No need to add any oil between the annual maintenance. At the end of the maintenance period the dipstick level is just below the half of the OK range.
The following users liked this post:
Bluetonic (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Rippe
I have now done 23tkms with my C63S, and two annual maintenances. Driving in German autobahns and French alps. No need to add any oil between the annual maintenance. At the end of the maintenance period the dipstick level is just below the half of the OK range.
I'd say that's highly dependent on the individual car, how it's driven etc. I would not just assume that because your car didn't require any additional oil, no one else's should.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
Oil

Originally Posted by nobbyv
I'd say that's highly dependent on the individual car, how it's driven etc. I would not just assume that because your car didn't require any additional oil, no one else's should.
Sure - I can only describe my own subjective experience.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks guys.

I've been keeping an eye on the oil and so far its been stable. My E90 M3 used to drink oil when I was only using it for short trips.

I may just put a ltr of oil in the car anyway just in case.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
W205 C63S AMG
Mine has required zero top ups between services after 24k.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Can I ask a stupid question?

Just took my car in for an unrelated issue to MB. They did their "multipoint" inspection and said all ok.

Today I got a warning message to "top up" the oil. Tells me to add a quart.

Now...here's my ignorance...pardon it please....

Is this like a standard oil change and should i take it to dealership?
Or
Is this something i can do...the equivalent of filling washer fluid...just buy the right one and pour it on in?

I have about 4500 miles on my C63s sedan.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
I use LIQUI MOLY 5W-40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH
zero top up needed 15000km

Last edited by srO_Michael_Orz; 06-21-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Bluetonic (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:55 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by Leodoc

Just took my car in for an unrelated issue to MB. They did their "multipoint" inspection and said all ok. Today I got a warning message to "top up" the oil. Tells me to add a quart. Now...here's my ignorance...pardon it please.... Is this like a standard oil change and should i take it to dealership?
Or
Is this something i can do...the equivalent of filling washer fluid...just buy the right one and pour it on in? I have about 4500 miles on my C63s sedan.
Your handbook specifies the grade of oil to use. Where you live can also affect it. Very cold regions, 0W30, hot regions 10W40. You can get oil from the dealership or from your supermarket, your choice. Get a quart and top it up. If you don't feel confident in doing that, ask a neighbour or get it done at a garage or the dealership. Your choice...
Old 06-21-2017, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by guhvies
Your handbook specifies the grade of oil to use. Where you live can also affect it. Very cold regions, 0W30, hot regions 10W40. You can get oil from the dealership or from your supermarket, your choice. Get a quart and top it up. If you don't feel confident in doing that, ask a neighbour or get it done at a garage or the dealership. Your choice...
The handbook really isn't helpful on this. Page 375 just lists a reference to 229.5, 229.6 MB Freigabe.
There's a web link but that covers several grades in a very long list and doesn't say which is recommended for each engine! I'm sure a high performance V8 needs something a little different to a C200...

I'm sure if I call or walk into a dealers they will just try and sell me the oil they have available at a high premium. Plus there is no way I'm going to chance it with supermarket brand "whatever" oil.

Checking and topping up oil should be a general weekly maintenance thing like checking tyre pressures. Its all covered in the manual and is as easy as checking a dip stick and if needed, opening up the oil cap and pouring some oil in. Recheck, repeat if needed.

Has anyone purchased oil from Mercedes for a C63 and if so what grade was it?

Has anyone done a oil change themselves?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:46 AM

Just took my car in for an unrelated issue to MB. They did their "multipoint" inspection and said all ok.

Or
Is this something i can do...the equivalent of filling washer fluid...just buy the right one and pour it on in?

Yep its just a top up, like washer fluid. Page 321 covers it.

Many high performance engines burn a little oil and depending on the engine (it can sometimes change from car to car) or the type of driving (short trips, spirited driving) can change when this "may" need doing. It shouldn't mean theres anything wrong with your engine unless its doing it all the time. I've had to do it about half way through a service on the BMW M3s and Audi RS4 I've had.

I was hoping that there was a forum acknowledged brand and grade of oil others had used so you can avoid having to buy the Mercedes dealers re-branded (expensive) stuff. I was surprised I couldn't find it on search...

I know over on the M3Cutters and Bimmer forums everyone agrees on a Castrol EDGE grade that provides the best performance.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan

Or

It has a dip stick on right side of the engine so check it before doing anything. Mine has never used any oil in 10k miles but I and many have gotten the low oil warning and it is never low.
I checked and ignored the warning and it goes away and never came back but if it keeps coming back and it is not low you should have the dealer replace sensor or at least check it.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 PM

FWIW, I did find this list someone put together. It lists five oils commonly available in the US that meet MB spec 229.5, BUT, only one of them appears to be approved for use in "AMG engines": Mobil1 0W-40 European car Formula. Based on this, and the fact that the oil cap specifically "recommends" Mobil1, that's what I plan to use. It appears to be older, so there certainly may be additional approved oils at this point.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ne-oils-mb.pdf

From the Mobil1 website, that is the only oil they recommend for the W205 C63 from their lineup:
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sele...RykgKEdBUyk%3D
Bluetonic (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Thanks Nobby, After searching over on the UK MB forums and also in the AMG private lounge it seem like the Mobil1 0W-40 European car Formula is the oil of choice.

As it also does'nt seem to grow on trees I may just pick some up and put it in the car for those long trips.

Cheers.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
BTW, every MB dealer service center I've been to will top up your oil for free. You just drive into the service center, tell 'em you need a top up, and they'll send a tech out to do it. 5-10 mins you're out of there.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bluetonic
Thanks Nobby, After searching over on the UK MB forums and also in the AMG private lounge it seem like the Mobil1 0W-40 European car Formula is the oil of choice.

As it also does'nt seem to grow on trees I may just pick some up and put it in the car for those long trips.

Cheers.
Too bad, here in the States even Wal-Mart carries it, often with rebates so the 5 quart jug is only $12 USD.

Last edited by nobbyv; 06-23-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
Originally Posted by Bluetonic
The handbook really isn't helpful on this. Page 375 just lists a reference to 229.5, 229.6 MB Freigabe.
There's a web link but that covers several grades in a very long list and doesn't say which is recommended for each engine! I'm sure a high performance V8 needs something a little different to a C200...

I'm sure if I call or walk into a dealers they will just try and sell me the oil they have available at a high premium. Plus there is no way I'm going to chance it with supermarket brand "whatever" oil.

Checking and topping up oil should be a general weekly maintenance thing like checking tyre pressures. Its all covered in the manual and is as easy as checking a dip stick and if needed, opening up the oil cap and pouring some oil in. Recheck, repeat if needed.

Has anyone purchased oil from Mercedes for a C63 and if so what grade was it?

Has anyone done a oil change themselves?
From MB dealer they offered Mercedes 0W-40 229.5 oil (made by shell), If I run with MB oil, I got approximate 10000 km/L oil consumption. Since I change to use LIQUI MOLY 5W-40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH, I got near zero oil consumption, whatever how hard I drive the car.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Well, that's a given. Using a heavier weight, higher viscosity oil will make it harder for the hot surfaces to burn off the oil. But you're creating slightly more parasitic drag and friction.. so expect that you'd likely get a tiny bit more engine heat and tiny bit less mileage.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by nobbyv
Too bad, here in the States even Wal-Mart carries it, often with rebates so the 5G jug is only $12 USD.
Of course you meant 5 Qt. and not Gal.
the price is 22.88 for the 5 Qt. jug now on sale.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by RDOCA
Of course you meant 5 Qt. and not Gal.
the price is 22.88 for the 5 Qt. jug now on sale.
That'd be a big jug!