Sponsored by:

Air Intake Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by alexasa
very minimal water would get in - but it's there for noise reduction and to have a clean engine bay
What makes you think that? The base of the windscreen is right above it. The water will drain into the engine bay otherwise.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63 ED1

Originally Posted by AhEmGee
After looking at the engine bay, removing that seal is a really bad idea unless you live in a very dry climate..
The water from the base of the windscreen will drain will right onto several wiring looms otherwise which you can see in the picture .
Not true at all. There is a drain and it is the other side of the firewall. See pic.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 PM

W205 C63 ED1
Originally Posted by ezatnova
I’m going out on a limb that the engineers didn’t put it there just to look nice or add weight.
If that is your theory then keep your car totally stock and walk away from this forum
The seal makes a difference for noise mainly that we have found. QIKC63 and RDO have been running like this for a fair while now in all conditions I believe.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM

W205 C63 ED1
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
What makes you think that? The base of the windscreen is right above it. The water will drain into the engine bay otherwise.
Quite the contrary, As the car is moving there is a low pressure zone at the wiper / base of windscreen, you can see it in wet weather if you have ceramic coating it is more obvious as water beads pool there. So removing part of the seal gives the high pressure air an escape into the low pressure area.
The rest of the air goes under the car and out as has been said here by @BMS straight past the pod filters.
The following users liked this post:
ezatnova (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:38 AM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
I think cutting/removing the seal would help lower engine Bay temps, and that seems to be upheld by some of the info provided.

As far as water ingress - after carefully looking at the seal, design of the plastic covers in the area, drain locations, and how far back the rear of the hood extends backwards over the opening from removing the seal… it seems highly unlikely that any significant amount of water would enter the engine Bay that way, even in a heavy rain.

Last edited by LessIsMore; 10-11-2019 at 01:59 AM.
ZACCOMPOSITES (10-11-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by skim7x

Hot air intake? I dunno about that...
temps don’t matter on turbo cars nearly as much as flow. There’s a reason why most serious hp cars just run screens over the inlet.

that pictured kit is extremely restrictive. Basically still relying on the crappy OEM corrugated junction. It’s a flow bottleneck.
Originally Posted by skim7x
There is a limit to this. You'll see that serious horsepower cars run turbos with just screens over the inlet, but in a location that is NOT in an enclosed space and NOT right over the engine. There is a point where flow becomes counterproductive if temps are too high.
Originally Posted by BMS
What you want is the highest volume (lowest pressure drop) with the coldest air. What Payam was trying to explain is that when you seal up the airbox and add extra ducting you create extra restriction. The restriction does more harm than the nominal intake temperature rise due to fact that the air is going to be super heated and cooled post intake. We studied a few models on the C63 and found retaining the factory air openings with small shields to block radiant heat and bias the intake air provided the best all around compromise given the packaging restraints. Of course, if you guys were open to cutting huge holes in the hood that would change the dynamic a little but not as much as you'd think.
So...for the sake of having a well-rounded discussion with other perspectives, I actually discussed the above with Eventuri, who are engineers with a background in aeronautics. And while they don't have the time to get dragged into a back & forth on the forum, they were ok with me sharing their response on the forum. Enjoy

"It’s an interesting debate and there is definitely a lot of misinformation out there.

For a start - running a turbo with just a screen doesn’t give the highest possible flow rate. Since it’s just a hole you get delamination of the airflow around the entry of the hole. So in effect the opening for flow is smaller than the actual diameter of the hole. Adding a funnel with a radius to the turbo inlet gives a greater flow rate potential than just an open hole.

The open cone vs sealed debate is all about how you intend to use your car. Also depends on the design of the system for pressure drops.

With an open cone in the C63S - you will start off with an incredibly high intake air temperature so the initial boost pressure ramp rate will be slower as the turbo tries to spool up with less dense air. Higher air temperatures entering the cooling system also means a higher air temperature exiting the cooling system to the engine. The coolers don’t reduce temperature to an absolute number. They cool the air by an efficiency percentage. So higher temp in means higher temp out. When this reaches the engine the ECU will see it and reduce timing accordingly.

Once on the move and under full acceleration, the engine bay does not miraculously get cold since the turbos are now generating intense heat and will start to glow red - that heat will radiate out to all components in the engine bay including the intake. The air around the turbos and manifold will also heat up and the open cones will be drawing this heated air in. Simple heat shields will not stop hot air entering the cones.

Open cones can work if the area they are pulling air from is away from the turbos and manifolds. Like for example within a wheel arch or behind the nose grills. On the C63S the cones are literally next to the hottest components on the engine and to make matter worse they are facing away from the cold air entry for the airbox system.

Turbo charged cars are very sensitive to high IATs. During development on other platforms like the Audi RS6 which has a similar problem with turbos on top of the engine, we tested our Venturi pods which are semi-open and we lost 10hp vs the stock airbox. So even though the airbox had a lower maximum flow rate vs our filter pods, the IATs resulted in a loss of power. Then we designed a full airbox for the RS6 instead and gained power.

On the C63S, the stock and other hybrid turbos do not exceed the flow demand that our sealed airboxes can handle. In fact people are running in excess of 800hp with the stock airboxes!

The other consideration is the design of the open cone systems. Often these are designed with metal tubes which are mandrel bent like and exhaust pipe. For a start - metal tubes will conduct heat very fast and they will then transmit that heat to the intake air passing through them. The coefficient of thermal conductivity for carbon (through plane) is a fraction of the value for metal. Secondly this type of tubing cannot change in diameter so you find that it remains at around the same diameter as the turbo inlets all the way to the filter. Compare our design which opens up after the turbos and increases in volume all the way to the filters vs the metal tubes which stay at the same diameter as the turbo inlets. It’s like sucking through a straw vs sucking through a funnel. The pressure drop is higher. So even if in ideal conditions on a drag strip with a cold engine bay to do one pass - the advantage of an open cone to de-restrict the intake is still compromised by constant diameter tube has a higher pressure drop than a flow path which increases in size.

We will be doing a final round of flow bench testing on Tuesday with the stock airbox and our system. Perhaps I will also do a flow test on some tubing with a open filter purely for academic purposes.

From our experience on working with turbo charged cars, IATs are very important. High air temperatures increase the turbo wastegate duty cycle as the turbo tries harder to achieve target boost with less dense air. Furthermore higher IAT causes the ECU to retard timing to protect the engine. On a performance road car - you are not going to be able to avoid increasing IAT as the engine bay heat soaks. Hence why we spent the best part of a year developing our sealed system.

Hope that helps."
The following 4 users liked this post by FDNewbie:
alexasa (10-14-2019), Jimmy_c63s (11-24-2022), mstraka (10-12-2019), skim7x (10-14-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by ZACCOMPOSITES
If that is your theory then keep your car totally stock and walk away from this forum
The seal makes a difference for noise mainly that we have found. QIKC63 and RDO have been running like this for a fair while now in all conditions I believe.
Yeah no, thanks. I have a Renntech car. By the way they run 725 hp with the PERFECTLY CAPABLE STOCK INTAKE. Why don’t you walk away from the forum with your placebo no-need-to-be-carbon intake “mod” . But I’m sure you know more than Helmut and worked at AMG.

Last edited by ezatnova; 10-12-2019 at 05:59 PM.
ZACCOMPOSITES (10-14-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
amg C63s
Reminds me from the 'Wizard of Oz.' #2
The Lion - "I do believe in open air flow, I do believe in open air flow, I do, I do, I do." The Witch - "You'll belive in more than that when I'm finished with you, just send me your money and you'll believe."
The following 2 users liked this post by mstraka:
2020C63s (05-02-2024), Wexlax732 (08-25-2020)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Yeah no, thanks. I have a Renntech car. By the way they run 725 hp with the PERFECTLY CAPABLE STOCK INTAKE. Why don’t you walk away from the forum with your placebo no-need-to-be-carbon intake “mod” . But I’m sure you know more than Helmut and worked at AMG.
This thread is for member looking at the different AM intakes options available to them.

We all know we don’t have to upgrade our intakes to make big power but some of us are interested in our options.

As you say, Renntech make 725hp with standard intakes, what does yours make, my car makes 860hp on a DynaPack hub dyno with standard intakes.

Will any of these intakes add to our current power levels, make or cars sound more aggressive, lower intake air temps, allow our turbos to breath better, well time will tell.

What I do know is that it will make my engine bay look a little nicer.

If you would like to start your own thread on the advantages of the standard intake boxes I’d be happy to follow along.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Mercedes C63S Cabrio
Price?

Who is selling the eventuri and what’s the going price?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:55 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by jmelcher
Approximately AU$4600 in Australia.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Mercedes C63S Cabrio
Yikes

Wow that’s pretty steep, even for aeronautical engineering!
Old 10-13-2019, 02:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by jmelcher
Vivid post says MSRP is $2895 USD and they have an exclusive forum pricing
Old 10-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by RDO247
Approximately AU$4600 in Australia.
Plz don't pay that lol. That's retarded. For that price, you can buy it from the US or UK (where Eventuri is based out of) and overnight it + still have leftover money for a tune lol.

Originally Posted by ansonkk1
Vivid post says MSRP is $2895 USD and they have an exclusive forum pricing
Yep. They actually have a thread in our C63 subsection announcing it: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ke-system.html
Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Plz don't pay that lol. That's retarded. For that price, you can buy it from the US or UK (where Eventuri is based out of) and overnight it + still have leftover money for a tune lol.
No intentions to buy this intake for that price, I have Zac intakes on their way.

Yep. They actually have a thread in our C63 subsection announcing it: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ke-system.html
Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 AM

C63S
No intentions to buy this intake for that price, I have Zac intakes on their way.

US$2900 converted is AU$4300 + added margin, custom duties etc
Australian dollars is extremely weak atm,
Old 10-13-2019, 08:40 AM

C63 AMG
So...for the sake of having a well-rounded discussion with other perspectives, I actually discussed the above with Eventuri, who are engineers with a background in aeronautics. And while they don't have the time to get dragged into a back & forth on the forum, they were ok with me sharing their response on the forum. Enjoy

"It’s an interesting debate and there is definitely a lot of misinformation out there.

For a start - running a turbo with just a screen doesn’t give the highest possible flow rate. Since it’s just a hole you get delamination of the airflow around the entry of the hole. So in effect the opening for flow is smaller than the actual diameter of the hole. Adding a funnel with a radius to the turbo inlet gives a greater flow rate potential than just an open hole.

The open cone vs sealed debate is all about how you intend to use your car. Also depends on the design of the system for pressure drops.

With an open cone in the C63S - you will start off with an incredibly high intake air temperature so the initial boost pressure ramp rate will be slower as the turbo tries to spool up with less dense air. Higher air temperatures entering the cooling system also means a higher air temperature exiting the cooling system to the engine. The coolers don’t reduce temperature to an absolute number. They cool the air by an efficiency percentage. So higher temp in means higher temp out. When this reaches the engine the ECU will see it and reduce timing accordingly.

Once on the move and under full acceleration, the engine bay does not miraculously get cold since the turbos are now generating intense heat and will start to glow red - that heat will radiate out to all components in the engine bay including the intake. The air around the turbos and manifold will also heat up and the open cones will be drawing this heated air in. Simple heat shields will not stop hot air entering the cones.

Open cones can work if the area they are pulling air from is away from the turbos and manifolds. Like for example within a wheel arch or behind the nose grills. On the C63S the cones are literally next to the hottest components on the engine and to make matter worse they are facing away from the cold air entry for the airbox system.

Turbo charged cars are very sensitive to high IATs. During development on other platforms like the Audi RS6 which has a similar problem with turbos on top of the engine, we tested our Venturi pods which are semi-open and we lost 10hp vs the stock airbox. So even though the airbox had a lower maximum flow rate vs our filter pods, the IATs resulted in a loss of power. Then we designed a full airbox for the RS6 instead and gained power.

On the C63S, the stock and other hybrid turbos do not exceed the flow demand that our sealed airboxes can handle. In fact people are running in excess of 800hp with the stock airboxes!

The other consideration is the design of the open cone systems. Often these are designed with metal tubes which are mandrel bent like and exhaust pipe. For a start - metal tubes will conduct heat very fast and they will then transmit that heat to the intake air passing through them. The coefficient of thermal conductivity for carbon (through plane) is a fraction of the value for metal. Secondly this type of tubing cannot change in diameter so you find that it remains at around the same diameter as the turbo inlets all the way to the filter. Compare our design which opens up after the turbos and increases in volume all the way to the filters vs the metal tubes which stay at the same diameter as the turbo inlets. It’s like sucking through a straw vs sucking through a funnel. The pressure drop is higher. So even if in ideal conditions on a drag strip with a cold engine bay to do one pass - the advantage of an open cone to de-restrict the intake is still compromised by constant diameter tube has a higher pressure drop than a flow path which increases in size.

We will be doing a final round of flow bench testing on Tuesday with the stock airbox and our system. Perhaps I will also do a flow test on some tubing with a open filter purely for academic purposes.

From our experience on working with turbo charged cars, IATs are very important. High air temperatures increase the turbo wastegate duty cycle as the turbo tries harder to achieve target boost with less dense air. Furthermore higher IAT causes the ECU to retard timing to protect the engine. On a performance road car - you are not going to be able to avoid increasing IAT as the engine bay heat soaks. Hence why we spent the best part of a year developing our sealed system.

Hope that helps."
Sounds like the best way to end the debate is to do two back to back dyno runs with closed vs open intake designs... would be nice to see open and closed hood as well.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:24 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by xtiano87
Sounds like the best way to end the debate is to do two back to back dyno runs with closed vs open intake designs... would be nice to see open and closed hood as well.
Dyno machines don't have real world airflow. Even the best and highest powered fan setups provide only a fraction of the airflow you see with a vehicle in motion.

The best way to test intakes is doing 1/2 mile runs or at least 1/4 mile runs and comparing trap speed which are a good indicator of average power throughout the run.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
You know what really blows me away is the cost vs hp gained by some of these performance add ons . Seriously $3-4000 for exhaust that may give you 10 hp and airboxes that cost $3000 grand + for another 10 hp gain ....serious waste of money . You could buy a 100 hp nitrous kit and custom plumb it for a fraction of the price and way more bang for the money .
Old 10-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by C3504matic
You know what really blows me away is the cost vs hp gained by some of these performance add ons . Seriously $3-4000 for exhaust that may give you 10 hp and airboxes that cost $3000 grand + for another 10 hp gain ....serious waste of money . You could buy a 100 hp nitrous kit and custom plumb it for a fraction of the price and way more bang for the money .
Both examples you mentioned are for taste/aesthetics. I don't think anyone's arguing that the intake is the significant limiting factor for big hp #s (it's been stated numerous times on this thread that ppl are making close to 800hp on the stock intake). And RDO247 stated he's interested in making his engine bay look nicer (me too!).

(Catback) exhausts aren't a big flow restriction either. Sure you can get a better flowing aftermarket exhaust, but it's all about the sound...that's what ppl are paying for.

If you want "bang for your buck" mods (without having to worry about blowing your motor with a "shot of nos" you're referring to), DP and a tune are the way to go. And if you want even more power, upgraded turbos. The rest is just cuz....
Old 10-13-2019, 05:01 PM

C63S
Both examples you mentioned are for taste/aesthetics. I don't think anyone's arguing that the intake is the significant limiting factor for big hp #s (it's been stated numerous times on this thread that ppl are making close to 800hp on the stock intake). And RDO247 stated he's interested in making his engine bay look nicer (me too!).

(Catback) exhausts aren't a big flow restriction either. Sure you can get a better flowing aftermarket exhaust, but it's all about the sound...that's what ppl are paying for.

If you want "bang for your buck" mods (without having to worry about blowing your motor with a "shot of nos" you're referring to), DP and a tune are the way to go. And if you want even more power, upgraded turbos. The rest is just cuz....
Took the words right out of my mouth.

All these performance mods increase the driving experience us enthusiasts are striving for.

We all have the same car, some are happy to leave it stock but some of us like to play.

Honestly, I’m happy to pay a reasonable amount of money for an intake that will add some carbon to my engine bay, increase induction sound and hopefully increase the performance of my engine even if only 10-20 hp.

Going back through this this thread I’ve added a lot of pictures of different intakes, some are cheap, some are super expensive but they’re all options.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:46 AM

C63S
Group Buy EOI - ZAC SHF CF Intakes

Anyone interested in trying to get a group buy happening?

Old 10-18-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by BMS
This is our beta system from when we went to Shift Sector this year. It will look the same and has heat shields as well etc.

-Payam
Very clean setup.

What speeds did you run at Shift Sector in the 1/2 mile?

And what other mods does this car have...C63 or C63S?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:22 AM

C63 AMG
Has anyone with an open intake system noticed filter rubbing on the underside of the cone? Some of the big filter options look like they will get close to the connector under the filter...
Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Current: 2017 C63S Prior: 2016 CLA45, 2015 Evo X Final Edition
Anyone interested in trying to get a group buy happening?

I’d be in

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Options