Sponsored by:

Recall for ESP torque peak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Recall for ESP torque peak?

Didn’t see a thread on this yet. Very odd. Hopefully this isn’t yet another update to further numb and neuter the car.

NHTSA Recall Number
17V654
Recall Reported
Oct 16, 2017
Recall Starts
Nov 09, 2017
Status
Recall INCOMPLETE
Component(s)
1710P54C67
Recall Description
SUMMARY
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain C-Class AMG vehicles (205 platform) high torque peaks in the powertrain might occur under extreme starting maneuvers (full throttle from a stop, Race Start) on slick road surfaces in combination with repeated short-duration rear wheel spin. . As a consequence, a rear axle differential mounting flange might become over-stressed and fracture. If a rear axle mounting flange fractures, the rear axle differential might become mis-aligned and the driveshaft may fail at the rear differential. This would lead to a loss of propulsion and a vehicle stall. Depending on the traffic situation, a vehicle stall might increase the risk of a crash. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerwill update the ESP and chassis control units with new software.
CONSEQUENCE
If a rear axle mounting flange fractures, the rear axle differential might become mis-aligned and the driveshaft may fail at the rear differential. This would lead to a loss of propulsion and a vehicle stall. Depending on the traffic situation, a vehicle stall might increase the risk of a crash.
View Customer Letter
Remedies
An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerwill update the ESP and chassis control units with new software.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Sounds like there are people wheel hopping the car until the diff breaks. MB found a way to prevent that. If people didn't abuse the cars like that, these things wouldn't happen. Who does a race start or full throttle acceleration on a wet road?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
No recalls coming up for my vehicle on the website.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Just did a search using my VIN, and this same recall notice came up (2015 C63S sedan).

My first reaction to this wouldn't be that they "neuter" the car but instead just adjust how abruptly the ESP kicks in when the wheels really go crazy.

The recall says it's an issue with full throttle on slick roads. I vaguely remember a topic on here from a while back where someone had a rear differential fail after ESP kicked in when they had the car high-sided with one rear wheel off the ground. Maybe this is a response to that and other similar issues where ESP abruptly kicking in when the wheelspin is great without much resistance on the tires (wheel off the ground, very slick roads, etc).
Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by msd3075
Just did a search using my VIN, and this same recall notice came up (2015 C63S sedan).

My first reaction to this wouldn't be that they "neuter" the car but instead just adjust how abruptly the ESP kicks in when the wheels really go crazy.

The recall says it's an issue with full throttle on slick roads. I vaguely remember a topic on here from a while back where someone had a rear differential fail after ESP kicked in when they had the car high-sided with one rear wheel off the ground. Maybe this is a response to that and other similar issues where ESP abruptly kicking in when the wheelspin is great without much resistance on the tires (wheel off the ground, very slick roads, etc).
yeah, hopefully. Kind of like you’re saying, I think they could accomplish this fix by dialing BACK the ESP, not softening the throttle ramp up.

Even at oartial throttle while while turning on a damp road, the car loses traction and hugely falls on its face when ESP engages. It’s pretty annoying. That might be the same overall reaction the car is exhibiting when people are flooring it on the wet, and it’s a huge shock to the drivetrain.

Again, I just hope they fix it by dialing back the ESP, not the throttle.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
So I took my car in Monday for a creaking sunroof. I’m running a tune, and this is the first service I’ve had. I instructed my SA not to perform any updates. He texts me today that they got the wind noise to go away but the creaking is from the wires for my dashcam and they did a recall. I text back WHAT RECALL. He says software update for ESP. WTF.

So I know what I’m walking into tomorrow, so you guys think it’s safe to assume the tune was wiped?

To add insult to injury, the freaking creaking sunroof, that creaked waaaay before I put my dash cam in, and the wires running under the door sill trim and could in no way make the sunroof creak, isn’t fixed.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 AMG C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by fresnobrianb
So I took my car in Monday for a creaking sunroof. I’m running a tune, and this is the first service I’ve had. I instructed my SA not to perform any updates. He texts me today that they got the wind noise to go away but the creaking is from the wires for my dashcam and they did a recall. I text back WHAT RECALL. He says software update for ESP. WTF.

So I know what I’m walking into tomorrow, so you guys think it’s safe to assume the tune was wiped?

To add insult to injury, the freaking creaking sunroof, that creaked waaaay before I put my dash cam in, and the wires running under the door sill trim and could in no way make the sunroof creak, isn’t fixed.

Please us posted on what the dealership says. Best of luck
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S Coupe 2017
I wonder if the recall is related to this: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...nd-update.html

I took delivery of my C63S Coupe in June and it takes a bit of lag to build power from low gears or from a stand still. My car is not part of the recall so it makes me think that my car already has the update. Perhaps the recall is being done to retroactively to apply the same neutered software to any car that was delivered prior to the fix?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by usaviking
I wonder if the recall is related to this: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...nd-update.html

I took delivery of my C63S Coupe in June and it takes a bit of lag to build power from low gears or from a stand still. My car is not part of the recall so it makes me think that my car already has the update. Perhaps the recall is being done to retroactively to apply the same neutered software to any car that was delivered prior to the fix?
Mine had those updates too but still shows the recall as outstanding for my VIN. In fact, both that thread and this one are mine lol.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S Coupe 2017
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Mine had those updates too but still shows the recall as outstanding for my VIN. In fact, both that thread and this one are mine lol.
lol, so after this update you'll be neutered and limp.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:50 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by usaviking
lol, so after this update you'll be neutered and limp.
Isnt that every guy’s dream?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Isnt that every guyÂ’s dream?
A straight guy?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600

Try lubricating the sunroof seals yourself, see if that helps. Most of them that make noise, have broken tracks. When your roof if in the vent position or fully open, can you move the glass section up and down at all? Usually the rear sliding points break off, but if only one is broken it can work for a long time without being noticed.

Tune should not be removed, the M/E isn't updated, only the ESP module.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Try lubricating the sunroof seals yourself, see if that helps. Most of them that make noise, have broken tracks. When your roof if in the vent position or fully open, can you move the glass section up and down at all? Usually the rear sliding points break off, but if only one is broken it can work for a long time without being noticed.

Tune should not be removed, the M/E isn't updated, only the ESP module.
Any advice on what to use as a lubricant? It’s pretty solid, doesn’t move or wobble. It’s just the rubber seal when the roof is closed. It was also making some wind noise, and they adjusted that, which fixed it. Tune, as you stated, was not effected.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Any advice on what to use as a lubricant? It’s pretty solid, doesn’t move or wobble. It’s just the rubber seal when the roof is closed. It was also making some wind noise, and they adjusted that, which fixed it. Tune, as you stated, was not effected.
This is what I am using on my panoroof https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-40-Spe...3=2609&veh=sem
Old 11-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Took my car in for a rattling sunroof. They lubed it up and it's been good to go since.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 AM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Tvall13
Took my car in for a rattling sunroof. They lubed it up and it's been good to go since.
It kills me to contribute to my own thread being completely derailed, but my God, I've had some annoying rattle that I CANNOT find and it just might be my sunroom. I've pressed and mashed everything all around me to no avail...I'll have to try checking UP.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
It kills me to contribute to my own thread being completely derailed, but my God, I've had some annoying rattle that I CANNOT find and it just might be my sunroom. I've pressed and mashed everything all around me to no avail...I'll have to try checking UP.
To know right away if that is the issue, just put your roof on vent position and if the noise goes away, then your rubber seal needs to be lubricated.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
A0019894651 is the factory grease we use. That's a big tub, I don't know if it's available in smaller quantities, as that size is probably 100x more than you will ever need in your lifetime.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by amg8
To know right away if that is the issue, just put your roof on vent position and if the noise goes away, then your rubber seal needs to be lubricated.
Exactly. This is a simple test that too many people overlook. Even techs I work with miss this.