Sponsored by:

Pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
In the name of science I've been experimenting with my car the last couple of nights to really try and dial into some info that may be helpful. For reference, I have as 2018 C63 S sedan. Of course I get a loud bark on upshifts at almost any RPM. What I've come to realize is the nuance of downshifts. I'm speaking primarily of gears 1-3 because I did this in town and I was in Sport + and Race. I can't get a gunfire sound on downshift over 3k rpm. All I hear is noise. Meaning, if I downshift at 4-5k all I get is engine noise. If I downshift at 5k then immediately peg it and let off the throttle. I will get a small gunshot type sound. Where I really here it is at 2500-3k rpm. For example If I'm at 5k in 3rd and back off the throttle and when it hits 3k and I downshift. I get a nice report of a gunfire shot sound. I duplicated this over and over again. I'd like someone to try this on their 2019 and report (no pun intended) back with results. Fwiw my Huracan does the same thing as well. Above 3k I get noise. At 3k or less it's crazy. My theory is at the higher rpm the engineers don't want to drop the fuel to make the back fire as it may cause some sort of issue or they have their reasons why.
The following 2 users liked this post by benzbell:
Ph4tLyfe (07-08-2019), Uga Uga (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by benzbell
In the name of science I've been experimenting with my car the last couple of nights to really try and dial into some info that may be helpful. For reference, I have as 2018 C63 S sedan. Of course I get a loud bark on upshifts at almost any RPM. What I've come to realize is the nuance of downshifts. I'm speaking primarily of gears 1-3 because I did this in town and I was in Sport + and Race. I can't get a gunfire sound on downshift over 3k rpm. All I hear is noise. Meaning, if I downshift at 4-5k all I get is engine noise. If I downshift at 5k then immediately peg it and let off the throttle. I will get a small gunshot type sound. Where I really here it is at 2500-3k rpm. For example If I'm at 5k in 3rd and back off the throttle and when it hits 3k and I downshift. I get a nice report of a gunfire shot sound. I duplicated this over and over again. I'd like someone to try this on their 2019 and report (no pun intended) back with results. Fwiw my Huracan does the same thing as well. Above 3k I get noise. At 3k or less it's crazy. My theory is at the higher rpm the engineers don't want to drop the fuel to make the back fire as it may cause some sort of issue or they have their reasons why.
A lot of the desired sounds ie pops and bangs come from abrupt lift of throttle at 2-5k rpm gear 2-4 imo. This is what is mainly missing in the ‘19s. I personally don’t care about stationary revving as it is irrelevant to me.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
In my 2019 I get the shotgun sound when I let off the throttle at or above 5k rpm in gear..that’s when it is the loudest.. I get a little rumble and crackle when I let off around 4K. No where near as loud as when I let off at 5k in gear though.. at 3k or less it’s non existent.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Same thing to report as purplewidow, my 2019 makes all the theatrics from abrupt throttle liftoff at 5K plus. It will pop and crackle over and over again at 5K. When driven very hard for an extended period in S+, the car will pop and crackle even more often at lower revs (maybe around 4K). This is usually when engine and transmission temps are higher than normal (190/220).

Main takeaway is the 2019 only makes the fun sounds when driven hard whereas the 2017 made them as long as you were in S+/Race. And the 2019 will not pop ever when downshifting.

Will try Benzbell’s suggestion later today

Last edited by Xec; 07-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Xec
Same thing to report as purplewidow, my 2019 makes all the theatrics from abrupt throttle liftoff at 5K plus. It will pop and crackle over and over again at 5K. When driven very hard for an extended period in S+, the car will pop and crackle even more often at lower revs (maybe around 4K). This is usually when engine and transmission temps are higher than normal (190/220).

Main takeaway is the 2019 only makes the fun sounds when driven hard whereas the 2017 made them as long as you were in S+/Race. And the 2019 will not pop ever when downshifting.

Will try Benzbell’s suggestion later today
if you blip the throttle a bit when downshifting will it?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by alexasa
if you blip the throttle a bit when downshifting will it?
The car rev-matches going down the box already so blipping won't likely have the desired effect.

I picked up my 2019 C63S coupe today in the UK. It's still being run in but for the purposes of 'science' I put it in race and blipped while stationary, obviously keeping the revs below 4k. I did get pops and crackles on the first time but none subsequently. Basically, repeating what others have found so far.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by CitznFish
He also skips leg day. Look at those toothpicks
Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s
Anyone tried secondary cat delete on the facelift C63s? It is way too quite.. not just the crackles, but the overall exhaust sound. EU regulations..
Old 07-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Its interesting how these cars do not have a consistent behaviour. I have a 2017 and sometimes i end up double shifting down (car shifts down a gear before i realize and then i manually shift another) but when that does happen my exhaust gives off very loud pops because the rpm is so high so much so that one time the guy behind me braked lol
Old 07-08-2019, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by playalistic
The car rev-matches going down the box already so blipping won't likely have the desired effect.

I picked up my 2019 C63S coupe today in the UK. It's still being run in but for the purposes of 'science' I put it in race and blipped while stationary, obviously keeping the revs below 4k. I did get pops and crackles on the first time but none subsequently. Basically, repeating what others have found so far.
you must not get it. anyways - in other cars you could do this to intiate cracks and pops
Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Which cat has the particulate filter, or do they both?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 AM

2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by alexasa
you must not get it. anyways - in other cars you could do this to intiate cracks and pops
Ah, I see now. Yeah - with my 2017 you could just give it a bit of gas in the lower gears, abruptly lift-off the throttle and as long as you were in sport+/race you'd get a few pops/bangs.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 C63, 2016 C63s, 2018 GLC63s
This was an official fix back in 2016/2017 to give back the pops and bangs. I had it done on my 2016 C63s and noticed a huge difference and if you read the previous thread I was very skeptical about it to begin.

Can / Does anyone smarter than I know if this can be applied to the newer models or GLC63s to get the same pops and bangs?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C63
Copy paste of what I posted on Private Lounge.

I had a response from Gavin from Mercedes-Benz Australia Technical division today. I originally raised the case some weeks ago and he had been waiting for a response from Germany.

He advised me that he reached out to his counterparts in Germany, and provided a response along these lines,

- The backfires/pops were eased off to protect the OPF and prolong its lifespan. Basically they put it down to the new euro emissions, even though to my knowledge the Australian delivered cars do not come with the OPF fitted. It doesn't sound like they will be releasing a patch to rectify owners complaints at this stage.

I do know that the GT63 has the backfires and pops that the C63 seems to be missing, and that is fitted with OPF too. So not sure what the go is there. But as it stands it seems like we won't be getting any progress. For me, whilst this is disappointing it isn't the end of the world - as the car is a great allround package (this would just be the cherry on top) so I will be happy to live with it for now.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:51 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Jeff087
Copy paste of what I posted on Private Lounge.

I had a response from Gavin from Mercedes-Benz Australia Technical division today. I originally raised the case some weeks ago and he had been waiting for a response from Germany.

He advised me that he reached out to his counterparts in Germany, and provided a response along these lines,

- The backfires/pops were eased off to protect the OPF and prolong its lifespan. Basically they put it down to the new euro emissions, even though to my knowledge the Australian delivered cars do not come with the OPF fitted. It doesn't sound like they will be releasing a patch to rectify owners complaints at this stage.

I do know that the GT63 has the backfires and pops that the C63 seems to be missing, and that is fitted with OPF too. So not sure what the go is there. But as it stands it seems like we won't be getting any progress. For me, whilst this is disappointing it isn't the end of the world - as the car is a great allround package (this would just be the cherry on top) so I will be happy to live with it for now.
Secondary cat delete. Easy solution
Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
'19 C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by untamedd
Secondary cat delete. Easy solution
Does a secondary cat delete cause a CEL and require a tune to pass emissions?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by wazuh
Does a secondary cat delete cause a CEL and require a tune to pass emissions?
Nope. That is only if you have the primaries taken out. No CEL and no tune needed with a secondary cat delete.

It will definitely make it more mean.

Short clip of my exhaust with sec cat delete. No brainer mod

Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 PM

'19 C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by untamedd
Nope. That is only if you have the primaries taken out. No CEL and no tune needed with a secondary cat delete.

It will definitely make it more mean.

Short clip of my exhaust with sec cat delete. No brainer mod

https://vimeo.com/333590418
That sounds awesome, you have any other (outside rolling) clips?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
That sounds awesome, you have any other (outside rolling) clips?
that's the pre-fl c63 btw
Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 PM

'19 C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Profomo
that's the pre-fl c63 btw
Yeap noticed that, any volunteers to be the guinea pig and first face lift owner to try it? : )
Old 07-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Whilst I’m not worried about the pops, I would like to know why they marketed the car via the press launch with lots of pops and crackles then production cars were retuned.

On on another note, my car is beginning to pop and blip the throttle on downshifts.

I am beginning to think that the car has been programmed to release its full potential gradually as per the running in procedure. Is this possible?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM

2019 C63s Coupe
Yeap noticed that, any volunteers to be the guinea pig and first face lift owner to try it? : )
I'm looking for local shops here that can carry this out once I'm fully run-in. Plan to get it done immediately after so will report back

Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Whilst I’m not worried about the pops, I would like to know why they marketed the car via the press launch with lots of pops and crackles then production cars were retuned.

On on another note, my car is beginning to pop and blip the throttle on downshifts.

I am beginning to think that the car has been programmed to release its full potential gradually as per the running in procedure. Is this possible?
You may expect the car to loosen up a little in that respect but reports from folks with relatively big miles (3k+) are saying there is little discernible difference, though my gut feeling is the change in sound over time is a difficult one to perceive objectively...
Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 PM

'19 C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by playalistic
I'm looking for local shops here that can carry this out once I'm fully run-in. Plan to get it done immediately after so will report back
Cool, thanks. I'm thinking to do the secondary cat delete as well, if you get it done please post vids For the pre-facelift owners who removed the secondary cats, is there alot of drone?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Just wanted to update this thread after a recent drive I had. I'm about done with my break in period for my facelift c63s and decided to go for a drive to get that break in mileage done, and decided to try out sport+ mode.

From my obersevation, I've been able to get consistent crackles and pops once I pass 3000rpm in 3rd/4th/5th gear and let off the throttle. I did this for 30 seconds non stop for about 7 sets of 30 seconds where I'd just get over 3000rpm and let off the throttle and let the exhaust crackle and pop, and without fail every single time it crackled and popped.

Downshift crackles and pops were almost as consistent as long as i hit 4.5-5000 rpm into the gear I was shifting into. Any lower than 4000rpm and it wouldn't pop at all.

Will do further testing, but for reference, I'm in Singapore, my build was an end February production
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Profomo
Just wanted to update this thread after a recent drive I had. I'm about done with my break in period for my facelift c63s and decided to go for a drive to get that break in mileage done, and decided to try out sport+ mode.

From my obersevation, I've been able to get consistent crackles and pops once I pass 3000rpm in 3rd/4th/5th gear and let off the throttle. I did this for 30 seconds non stop for about 7 sets of 30 seconds where I'd just get over 3000rpm and let off the throttle and let the exhaust crackle and pop, and without fail every single time it crackled and popped.

Downshift crackles and pops were almost as consistent as long as i hit 4.5-5000 rpm into the gear I was shifting into. Any lower than 4000rpm and it wouldn't pop at all.

Will do further testing, but for reference, I'm in Singapore, my build was an end February production
That is great news for your car. I am curious if you have a pre facelift car to compare against.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pops and crackles