Sponsored by:

brake pads replace 17 c63s edition 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
17 c63s edition 1 cabriolet, 2018 gls450
brake pads replace 17 c63s edition 1

hey guys just got this 2017 c63s edition 1 cabriolet around 15,500k miles and the rear pads look this bad already. he got a 20k service done before he sold me the car but never mention anything about the brake pads. worried that the fronts also might look like this. any estimate prices super noobie when it comes to this stuff so anything helps. also my friend told me I might also need to get the rotors replace too. it did come with a 3 year maintenance package but idk if that covers breaks. btw this was a lease assumption.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
You don’t need new rotors, just replace the pads and enjoy the car. You might want to look around at brake pad threads and go with a different pad than Oem for less dust.
The following users liked this post:
PandaAMG1 (06-23-2019)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63S Coupe
I just did my brakes on MY17 C63s Coupe. I had to do them at 11k miles since the previous owner was driving it pretty hard. There should be some sensors for the brake pad wear. If they haven't gone off you can still replace the brakes and save yourself about 25$ USD. I replaced just my front and rear brakes and went with porterfield R4S and they work great. I also went to local shop and had the rotors resurfaced they looked ok to use once more. There's a few posts on here on how to install them.
PandaAMG1 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by loscar63
I just did my brakes on MY17 C63s Coupe. I had to do them at 11k miles since the previous owner was driving it pretty hard. There should be some sensors for the brake pad wear. If they haven't gone off you can still replace the brakes and save yourself about 25$ USD. I replaced just my front and rear brakes and went with porterfield R4S and they work great. I also went to local shop and had the rotors resurfaced they looked ok to use once more. There's a few posts on here on how to install them.
Thanks for the help. I decide to get oem parts from a shop that helps me out a lot which was around 550 needed front and rears done then took it to get it installed by someone from amg for 220
Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT

You don’t need new rotors, just replace the pads and enjoy the car. You might want to look around at brake pad threads and go with a different pad than Oem for less dust.
im sorry I’m replying so late and thank you for your help. I decide to just go oem. I was trying to look for an alternative but couldn’t really find some ones for the car. If u have any let me know I’m scared I probably might need to change next year again.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE63S
Originally Posted by PandaAMG1
im sorry I’m replying so late and thank you for your help. I decide to just go oem. I was trying to look for an alternative but couldn’t really find some ones for the car. If u have any let me know I’m scared I probably might need to change next year again.
Next time use Porterfield RS-4 pads all around.

95% less brake dust and very quiet.

I got mine at Bestbrakes.com - $261 for fronts and $107 for rears, all with free shipping. On their website, just enter 2017 for your model year (they are the same for 2018 and 2019, just not listed for some reason)

Easy DIY project.

Last edited by ahesq; 06-26-2019 at 11:41 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ahesq:
FLC63s (06-27-2019), gilmdjd (02-10-2020), gOt BoOsT (06-26-2019), OrientBlue3 (01-21-2020), PandaAMG1 (07-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ahesq
Next time use Porterfield RS-4 pads all around.

95% less brake dust and very quiet.

I got mine at Bestbrakes.com - $261 for fronts and $107 for rears, all with free shipping. On their website, just enter 2017 for your model year (they are the same for 2018 and 2019, just not listed for some reason)

Easy DIY project.
i will for sure do this for the next brake job. how is the installation? do you replace the sensor if so buy from where? thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 06:13 PM

2021 GLE63S
Replacement was a piece of cake.

There is a menu procedure to release the parking brake for the rear pads in order to change them.

YouTube has a video on this.

Technically you’re supposed to replace the sensors, but actually you can reuse them provided they did not previously make contact with the rotors due to worn brake pads.

For me, I just replaced them because they’re cheap and you only need two of them.

I got them at pelican parts and I think they were around $10 each.

Last edited by ahesq; 06-26-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 PM

No problem. Take ahesq’s advise and use the porterfield pads, I just changed my pads/rotors and although I haven’t washed my car to see how the brake dust is, the majority says they are way less dusty that Oem. The pads seem to perform about the same with slightly less bite when you initially hit the brakes.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 PM

There is a menu procedure to release the parking brake for the rear pads in order to change them.

Technically you’re supposed to replace the sensors, but actually you can reuse them provided they did not previously make contact with the rotors due to worn brake pads.

For me, I just replaced them because they’re cheap and you only need two of them.

This will for sure come in handy thank you so much for the advice.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 PM

No problem. Take ahesq’s advise and use the porterfield pads, I just changed my pads/rotors and although I haven’t washed my car to see how the brake dust is, the majority says they are way less dusty that Oem. The pads seem to perform about the same with slightly less bite when you initially hit the brakes.
Why also the rotors I know all mercedes rotors have that lip which honestly is just a money grab for them but how much was your total.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 PM

Why also the rotors I know all mercedes rotors have that lip which honestly is just a money grab for them but how much was your total.
I upgraded to 2 piece full floating rotors for the front and rear, otherwise I would have left the stock rotors on the car. I spent $1,300 for the entire set, but I did prototype fitment testing for the company and got them at a discounted price.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:19 PM

I upgraded to 2 piece full floating rotors for the front and rear, otherwise I would have left the stock rotors on the car. I spent $1,300 for the entire set, but I did prototype fitment testing for the company and got them at a discounted price.
Thats amazing I wonder how people just get these discounts. I know these companies need testing for their new products but do people just randomly call and ask?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM

Thats amazing I wonder how people just get these discounts. I know these companies need testing for their new products but do people just randomly call and ask?
They had the standard C63 front 360mm rotors for sale, but I didn’t see the 390mm C63s size so I contacted them about it. They were just finishing the first set and didn’t have a C63s local for them to check fitment and take measurements on so I told him I could do it. I had to install them twice since I didn’t have brake pads when the rotors arrived 2 days later, but it’s a pretty quick job so not a big deal.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:18 AM

Update. So I got the car tuned. I think I will be needing some rear brake pads pretty soon. I had to get some check engine light check out and fixed and they said I needed rears pads soon. When I change out the tires for my rear I saw it and so surprised that I need them this quickly.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
I had to get some check engine light check out and fixed and they said I needed rears pads soon.
Curious. What was your CEL? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
Did you leave your stock rotors on and just change the pads?

My independent dealership quoted me about $5k for brake replacement because, as a blanket policy for any AMG, they refuse to replace pads without changing out the rotors. They said it would squeal like a banshee and the rotors are almost always too thin to resurface. This set off all kinds of alarms on my BS meter but I was wondering if anyone has had issues with some squeaks when replacing the pads on stock rotors. If so I would assume it would be fairly minor and go away after the pad beds itself to the rotor?
Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM

2021 GLE63S
Originally Posted by bcmills

My independent dealership quoted me about $5k for brake replacement because, as a blanket policy for any AMG, they refuse to replace pads without changing out the rotors. They said it would squeal like a banshee and the rotors are almost always too thin to resurface. This set off all kinds of alarms on my BS meter but I was wondering if anyone has had issues with some squeaks when replacing the pads on stock rotors. If so I would assume it would be fairly minor and go away after the pad beds itself to the rotor?
Not sure what shape yours are in.

Mine were fine, so pads only for me.

On Porterfields, 90 less dust and no noise so far.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Current: 2017 C63S Prior: 2016 CLA45, 2015 Evo X Final Edition

That is one of the more outlandish things I have heard. I've been through multiple sets of pads on a single rotor. They shouldn't have a "blanket AMG policy". If the rotors are good then they're good, if they're bad then they're bad. Tell them to calm down, this isn't a Chiron......
Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
... they refuse to replace pads without changing out the rotors. They said it would squeal like a banshee and the rotors are almost always too thin to resurface.
Yes, your BS meter is correct. Like others, I've done multiple brake pads per rotor. No squeal encountered. Find another dealer/service center. Mercedes' WIS specifies that an inspection be completed to ensure that the rotors are still in servicable condition (e.g., no cracks) and does NOT specify always replacing the rotors.

FYI, the rotors have wear indicators ... if you look at the holes in the front rotors, you'll see that there's the regular-pattern holes as well as some additional indents (they're not all the way thru the rotor) along both the inside and outside. Those are wear indicators ... when they're gone, the rotor needs replacing (i.e., when enough of the surface metal is removed from the rotor, you reach the bottom of those "partial-depth holes" so they disappear, meaning that the rotor is now down to its minimum thickness spec and should be replaced).
Old 08-02-2019, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by user33
Yes, your BS meter is correct. Like others, I've done multiple brake pads per rotor. No squeal encountered. Find another dealer/service center. Mercedes' WIS specifies that an inspection be completed to ensure that the rotors are still in servicable condition (e.g., no cracks) and does NOT specify always replacing the rotors.

FYI, the rotors have wear indicators ... if you look at the holes in the front rotors, you'll see that there's the regular-pattern holes as well as some additional indents (they're not all the way thru the rotor) along both the inside and outside. Those are wear indicators ... when they're gone, the rotor needs replacing (i.e., when enough of the surface metal is removed from the rotor, you reach the bottom of those "partial-depth holes" so they disappear, meaning that the rotor is now down to its minimum thickness spec and should be replaced).
I haven't been impressed with the service options here, the top rated independent is more expensive than the dealership on some things (and the one that has the blanket AMG policy). As for the dealership, the last time my girlfriend took it in a service guy asked if it was hers and when she said yes he replied "Are you sure it's not your husband's?". I think I'll just order the parts and take it down to my very honest greasemonkey that works on my truck.

That's awesome, I didn't know that about the wear indicator, much appreciated. It looks like they have plenty left on the front.

As a sidenote, when I was inspecting the rotors the rear ones didn't seem quite flat so I got my straightedge and sure enough both rear rotor profiles have a definite convex shape. I've never noticed this before on other cars but it doesn't seem normal. Any idea what would cause this and if it's something I should be worried about? I can move this to a new thread if you guys think I'm derailing this one too much.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S

Complete and utter BS. I put on Porterfield R4S and have less squealing than stock. I needed rear pads more than I needed fronts when I changed them at 28k. Think traction control eats the rears alive. Brakes almost as good as stock. A tiny bit less bite deep in the pedal but my guess is it would not be noticeable to most people. I didn’t even really have to bed them either. No squeaks from the initial install. Did a quick few hard stops and was on my way. Bought them on the same site others did for about $375 for all 4 corners and had them installed at a local dallas shop that employs former AMG certified technicans for less than I paid for the pads. Very happy as OEM pads alone would have cost me the same amount without labor.
BL4DE (01-03-2024)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5

Your service advisor is full of **** and you should tell them go get fuccked.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by E55 KEV
Curious. What was your CEL? Thanks.
im sorry what is CEL?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
Complete and utter BS. I put on Porterfield R4S and have less squealing than stock. I needed rear pads more than I needed fronts when I changed them at 28k. Think traction control eats the rears alive. Brakes almost as good as stock. A tiny bit less bite deep in the pedal but my guess is it would not be noticeable to most people. I didn’t even really have to bed them either. No squeaks from the initial install. Did a quick few hard stops and was on my way. Bought them on the same site others did for about $375 for all 4 corners and had them installed at a local dallas shop that employs former AMG certified technicans for less than I paid for the pads. Very happy as OEM pads alone would have cost me the same amount without labor.
yeah im going to do an update pictures this week hopefully when i change out the tires but im going to go with these most likely. and to the people who asked when i changed both my fronts and my rears i took it to an amg specialist. only replaced pads no rotors because they didnt need to be. I think he did resurface it for me for free. Only paid 220 for the installation and i got parts from a body shop that orders OEM parts at shop price but still was expensive around 550 i believe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: brake pads replace 17 c63s edition 1