Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heating transmission??

 
Old 01-26-2019, 05:57 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Over heating transmission??

its reading 122celsius itís right at the first bar in red never seen it this high on my 2018 c63s coupe. Current outside temperature is 47f
slowc is online now  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 PM
  #2  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,709
Thanked 573 Times in 556 Posts
1999 E300TD
Run to any dealer and quickly.
Plutoe is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:19 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
Run to any dealer and quickly.
waiting on Monday to roll around everything is closed
slowc is online now  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
benzbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 520
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
2018 GTR - 2018 C 63S
This most likely is/could be your issue.

Transmission Overheating
benzbell is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by benzbell View Post
This most likely is/could be your issue.

Transmission Overheating
sounds very similar thank you!
slowc is online now  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S
Under normal use, the transmission temp should never be that high. There is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

Either the front radiator/heat exchanger for the transmission cooler circuit has been punctured by road debris, or one or both of the pumps on that circuit have failed. Either way, you need to get the dealer to address it NOW. Do not wait. And if the drive there is anything more than a few miles, get them to tow the car to the dealer.
msd3075 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
Under normal use, the transmission temp should never be that high. There is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

Either the front radiator/heat exchanger for the transmission cooler circuit has been punctured by road debris, or one or both of the pumps on that circuit have failed. Either way, you need to get the dealer to address it NOW. Do not wait. And if the drive there is anything more than a few miles, get them to tow the car to the dealer.
6 miles away currently out of state I wonder if dealer would pick up the car for free?
slowc is online now  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
benzbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 520
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
2018 GTR - 2018 C 63S
Yeah they better - it's under warranty - 2018.
benzbell is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by slowc View Post

6 miles away currently out of state I wonder if dealer would pick up the car for free?
As long as you let it cool down overnight, drive straight there, and don't do a bunch of stop-and go getting there, you should be fine.

In the meantime, check the coolant reservoir that is on top of the engine (front and center when you open the hood). It should have pink-colored coolant in it. You should easily be able to see the coolant through the side of the reservoir. If it's dry, you have a leak in the system. If so, check the front-center radiator so see if it is wet. It'll be pretty obvious if/when you see it. If it's wet, your radiator has been punctured by road debris and needs to be replaced.
msd3075 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:12 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by benzbell View Post
Yeah they better - it's under warranty - 2018.
If it is a puncture in the front radiator, it more than likely won't be covered under warranty. Of all the people on here that have had it happen and of the few others I've heard about, only one person had it covered under warranty (sorry to rub it in, but it was me). It's not considered a part defect but instead outside road damage. It's the same as if you get a rock chip in your windshield or a paint chip on your front bumper.
msd3075 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
benzbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 520
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
2018 GTR - 2018 C 63S
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
If it is a puncture in the front radiator, it more than likely won't be covered under warranty. Of all the people on here that have had it happen and of the few others I've heard about, only one person had it covered under warranty (sorry to rub it in, but it was me). It's not considered a part defect but instead outside road damage. It's the same as if you get a rock chip in your windshield or a paint chip on your front bumper.
If he had a puncture. There would be obvious evidence of leakage. Based on his description and him not mentioning anything about leakage. Most likely not the issue.

Last edited by benzbell; 01-26-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: text
benzbell is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by benzbell View Post
If you had a puncture. There would be obvious evidence of leakage. Based on your description and you not mentioning anything about leakage. Most likely not the issue.
The OP never mentioned a leak, but with a large puncture and/or a long drive, the reservoir/circuit could have completely drained without signs of a leak. You'll see wetness on the radiator, but the typical puddle under the car might not happen since the coolant is long gone.

As for when it happened to me, there was an obvious puncture in the radiator. I could see the wetness on two vane rows of the radiator, an empty coolant reservoir, a puddle under the car, and the radiator basically peeing on my foot when I poured distilled water into the reservoir. I even have the chunk of asphalt that poked the hole (it had formed to the radiator, and I scraped it off when everything had cooled down).
msd3075 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 208
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
C63 s Edition 1 Sedan
Check the coolant reservoir near the turbos.,, you dont get a dash sign for it when its low
milan25 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
The OP never mentioned a leak, but with a large puncture and/or a long drive, the reservoir/circuit could have completely drained without signs of a leak. You'll see wetness on the radiator, but the typical puddle under the car might not happen since the coolant is long gone.

As for when it happened to me, there was an obvious puncture in the radiator. I could see the wetness on two vane rows of the radiator, an empty coolant reservoir, a puddle under the car, and the radiator basically peeing on my foot when I poured distilled water into the reservoir. I even have the chunk of asphalt that poked the hole (it had formed to the radiator, and I scraped it off when everything had cooled down).
update. My car has a huge puddle under it and somethings leaking. Checked the front where the intercooler is no puncture.
slowc is online now  
Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by benzbell View Post
If he had a puncture. There would be obvious evidence of leakage. Based on his description and him not mentioning anything about leakage. Most likely not the issue.
huge puddle underneath the car I donít see a puncture on the radiator
slowc is online now  
Old 01-26-2019, 10:59 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by slowc View Post

update. My car has a huge puddle under it and somethings leaking. Checked the front where the intercooler is no puncture.
Was there any "wetness" along the radiator? If there is a puncture, you won't see a hole. You'll see the fluid instead.
msd3075 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:02 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
Was there any "wetness" along the radiator? If there is a puncture, you won't see a hole. You'll see the fluid instead.
I saw wetness all along the front bumper where the underneath grill is. So Iím paying out of pocket?
slowc is online now  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
  #18  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 766
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by benzbell View Post
Yeah they better - it's under warranty - 2018.
Punctured heat exchanger most likely wonít be covered under warranty.

I have heard of one member being covered but in the US but here in Australia not covered from what Iíve heard, not in my case and many others with punctured heat exchangers.

Good luck to the OP, no one wants to see their car over heat... I replaced my 3 front facing heat exchangers from ARE Cooling after getting a puncture aposed to replacing with the fragile AMG items.

Drew designed and fabricated these for me and are available as direct bolt on replacement with no modification.



RDO247 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to RDO247 For This Useful Post:
AV1 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Update: rock hit the the radiator which caused the leaking not covered under warranty. Waiting on Mercedes to see if they will good will it. If not 1700 bill
slowc is online now  
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM
  #20  
KJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 469
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Damn, that sucks. My transmission temperature went up higher than normal as well, and started shifting rough.

But then it maxed out at 85 deg. C and didn't go higher.

The next day, it went back up to 85 C, but wasn't shifting rough anymore.

Last edited by KJ; 01-28-2019 at 05:45 PM.
KJ is online now  
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Damn, that sucks. My transmission temperature went up higher than normal as well, and started shifting rough.

Bu then it maxed out at 85 deg. C and didn't go higher.

The next day, it went back up to 85 C, but wasn't shifting rough anymore.
mine was at 123c
slowc is online now  
Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 766
Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by slowc View Post

mine was at 123c
Damage to these front heat exchangers are common.

Checkout my thread for some more info:

Damaged Coolers From Road Debris

Good luck.
RDO247 is online now  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:23 PM
  #23  
Member
 
BD-C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 133
Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
I just had a radiator & coolant pump replaced due to rock damage. Was not covered under warranty. Insurance did cover under comprehensive since it was caused by a flying rock. These radiators need better protection.
BD-C63 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM
  #24  
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AV1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,154
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by RDO247 View Post


Punctured heat exchanger most likely wonít be covered under warranty.

I have heard of one member being covered but in the US but here in Australia not covered from what Iíve heard, not in my case and many others with punctured heat exchangers.

Good luck to the OP, no one wants to see their car over heat... I replaced my 3 front facing heat exchangers from ARE Cooling after getting a puncture aposed to replacing with the fragile AMG items.

Drew designed and fabricated these for me and are available as direct bolt on replacement with no modification.



Thanks for posting this and your efforts for doing such an upgrade, will be of great benefit to people located in Australia if the need arises to do the same.

The front mounted intercooler assemblies on the 19 onwards C63's are even more exposed than the pre update cars, so there's more chance of debris caused damage.
AV1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:46 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 346
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by BD-C63 View Post
I just had a radiator & coolant pump replaced due to rock damage. Was not covered under warranty. Insurance did cover under comprehensive since it was caused by a flying rock. These radiators need better protection.
instead of me paying 1700 Mercedes agrees to pay the labor. So Iíd owe 540...
slowc is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Over heating transmission??


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: