Sponsored by:

Official exhaust software upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Davesc63
Get your SA to put in the effort and look up the descriptions for you.

Different NT countries have different identifications for the same update. We confirmed that a few times in this thread ie: US, Australia, UK all have a different ID but same description
That would make sense, I went in with the sheet attached in one of these posts and she said if it isn't from Canada it'll be different. She said all she can look up is what comes up under my VIN for any recalls or software updates, and I do have one, so I'm going back in tomorrow to have it updated. I guess we'll see if that's the one.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
That would make sense, I went in with the sheet attached in one of these posts and she said if it isn't from Canada it'll be different. She said all she can look up is what comes up under my VIN for any recalls or software updates, and I do have one, so I'm going back in tomorrow to have it updated. I guess we'll see if that's the one.
Good luck! Hope it works for you.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Well, guess I got my answer. I'm in canada and she ran my VIN, I had some SCN coding for the ECU software update pop up on my car, did it today and it made zero difference. SA has no idea what I'm talking about in reference to the update in this thread and says nothing else is available for my car other than what she sees when she did the search with vin. I'm a bit bummed, not sure what else I can do now.

edit: I take it all back, I THINK I got a chance to drive the car around more tonight and it definitely pops and crackles 2-3 times when I rev it and it didn't really at all before. Downshifts in s+ seem to bark pretty loud. One time when I was romping on it pretty hard in manual and got off the gas,suddenly, it had some drama. Not noticing much other times and it's less notable than I've seen in videos and when explained on here, but I swear it's doing it a bit more. Overall i think after louder exhaust it'll be the perfect amount of it without being too obnoxious.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 08-23-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C63S, 2013 SLS AMG GT Coupé
Got my update today. Took many hours and many miscommunications but I showed them the bulletin posted in this thread and eventually they got it done. Used to have zero crackle with the perf. exhaust and now free revving and overrun have some solid pops and bangs. Good stuff, would recommend. Probably going to do the secondary cat delete and some other miscellaneous exhaust work to extract maximum “emotion”.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Harry Watel
Got my update today. Took many hours and many miscommunications but I showed them the bulletin posted in this thread and eventually they got it done. Used to have zero crackle with the perf. exhaust and now free revving and overrun have some solid pops and bangs. Good stuff, would recommend. Probably going to do the secondary cat delete and some other miscellaneous exhaust work to extract maximum “emotion”.
maximum emotion

Old 11-23-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 AMG C63s
Just purchased C63s

Hello Everyone,

just picked up a 2020 C63s for my wife and she noticed a dramatic difference in exhaust notes from her C43 coupe to the C63s coupe. I’ve read that various threads about some petrol filter preventing the pops to software updates. Could someone confirm if the solution to the lack of popping sounds is a software update or is it is this particulate filter?

also, I tried looking for this bulletin someone referenced inside this thread but couldn’t find it - could someone link me to it please?

Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Hello Everyone,

just picked up a 2020 C63s for my wife and she noticed a dramatic difference in exhaust notes from her C43 coupe to the C63s coupe. I’ve read that various threads about some petrol filter preventing the pops to software updates. Could someone confirm if the solution to the lack of popping sounds is a software update or is it is this particulate filter?

also, I tried looking for this bulletin someone referenced inside this thread but couldn’t find it - could someone link me to it please?
Hello,

I had a chance to test drive my friend's facelift C63s coupe and boy was it way quieter than mine. It literally was about at least 50 percent quieter than my pre facelift, and this was with his valves completely open. Now i'm not sure if the break in period is a real thing in terms of sound; but as soon as he installed some catless downpipes, it sounded just as good as my car.
The following users liked this post:
cyberorth (11-27-2019)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:39 PM

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTC
Had the software update done on my 2016 C63S today and wanted to share my thoughts.

I had no issues getting them to agree to it. I simply took the Xentry TSB and said, "My exhaust is lacking the sound that I expect it to have. AMG is aware and released a software update in early 2017. Here is the Xentry TSB." My SA brought the AMG tech up, we talked about it for a minute, and that was that.

Got the car back. The car NEVER popped or banged when revved sitting still. It does now. Matter of fact, it sounds damn good now.
That's about it, though. I used to get 1 bang if I let off the throttle at 4K RPMs. I now get 2. One loud bang on 1->2 WOT upshift (this happened before).
I do hear a few crackles sometimes in the 2K-3.5K range.
All in all, I'm happy, even though the result isn't quite as dramatic as I wanted. I will say this, though.. my car, at idle, sounds more quiet now as well.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Go Dawgs
Had the software update done on my 2016 C63S today and wanted to share my thoughts.

I had no issues getting them to agree to it. I simply took the Xentry TSB and said, "My exhaust is lacking the sound that I expect it to have. AMG is aware and released a software update in early 2017. Here is the Xentry TSB." My SA brought the AMG tech up, we talked about it for a minute, and that was that.

Got the car back. The car NEVER popped or banged when revved sitting still. It does now. Matter of fact, it sounds damn good now.
That's about it, though. I used to get 1 bang if I let off the throttle at 4K RPMs. I now get 2. One loud bang on 1->2 WOT upshift (this happened before).
I do hear a few crackles sometimes in the 2K-3.5K range.
All in all, I'm happy, even though the result isn't quite as dramatic as I wanted. I will say this, though.. my car, at idle, sounds more quiet now as well.
Sweet. Try it in Race mode. I noticed that my one pops and bangs more in Race mode compared to Sport+ after this update. Does yours too?

Don't worry, for now the car is relearning what you like again so after a short while it'll be even more vocal. Keep an eye out for when it does this (occasional) single mega backfire. That's when you'll see birds flying away and school kids yelling obscenities

It's like a sonic boom.

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 03-19-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:07 AM

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTC
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Sweet. Try it in Race mode. I noticed that my one pops and bangs more in Race mode compared to Sport+ after this update. Does yours too?

Don't worry, for now the car is relearning what you like again so after a short while it'll be even more vocal. Keep an eye out for when it does this (occasional) single mega backfire. That's when you'll see birds flying away and school kids yelling obscenities

It's like a sonic boom.
Hehehehe

I only really tried Sport+. Didn’t get the car back until after 5PM yesterday so not a whole lot of drive time. I will check out race today and report back. 😏
Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Go Dawgs
Hehehehe

I only really tried Sport+. Didn’t get the car back until after 5PM yesterday so not a whole lot of drive time. I will check out race today and report back. 😏
Haha cool brother, see how you go!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 BMW M3, 2010 Lancer Evolution X, Incoming 2020 C63S Coupe
Hey quick question - do you guys hit the 4.5k rev limiter in park, or is that just a Facelift model occurance?

I drove a long distance yesterday (around 90 miles continuous) so the engine was sitting at operating temps. Before shutting down the car, I put it in park and revved it in Sport+. Still hit the 4.5k rpm limiter. The car has about 1,300 miles on it.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:18 AM

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by JPM-3
Hey quick question - do you guys hit the 4.5k rev limiter in park, or is that just a Facelift model occurance?

I drove a long distance yesterday (around 90 miles continuous) so the engine was sitting at operating temps. Before shutting down the car, I put it in park and revved it in Sport+. Still hit the 4.5k rpm limiter. The car has about 1,300 miles on it.
Sounds like a FL thing to me.... just tried it now and can confirm my PFL C63S can rev it in park over 5.5k rpm
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 PM

C63S & F150
Took car and requested the update. Received that I was told the 'latest" version of software. I stressed that I was interested in bulletin: LI07.08-P-065149 (addon 6527 & 6529). They updated my car (2016 C63S). Car is unchanged. I get crackles, but more like "light 3", not the district 4+ in most videos I've seen . They gave me the XENTRY print out and swore it was all updated to the latest software. The "add on" list did not include 6527 or 6529 on the paper. Would that be included in a generic full update, or must those files/numbers be manually loaded/selected somehow?
Old 05-28-2020, 07:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Thomas Brady
Took car and requested the update. Received that I was told the 'latest" version of software. I stressed that I was interested in bulletin: LI07.08-P-065149 (addon 6527 & 6529). They updated my car (2016 C63S). Car is unchanged. I get crackles, but more like "light 3", not the district 4+ in most videos I've seen.
I'm scheduled to get the update next week. From what I've read and heard from others, immediately after the update you may not notice any difference or it may even sound quieter than before. My understanding is that the car will then relearn your driving style and the crackles, etc will increase over time, particularly if you drive aggressively. Pre-update, I get some crackles now and was a little hesitant to get the update when I saw some say the car was quieter after updating. So I'm crossing my fingers that if that is the case, that it will indeed improve over time.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:43 PM

C63S & F150
Originally Posted by jherm
I'm scheduled to get the update next week. From what I've read and heard from others, immediately after the update you may not notice any difference or it may even sound quieter than before. My understanding is that the car will then relearn your driving style and the crackles, etc will increase over time, particularly if you drive aggressively. Pre-update, I get some crackles now and was a little hesitant to get the update when I saw some say the car was quieter after updating. So I'm crossing my fingers that if that is the case, that it will indeed improve over time.
Yeah, I get like one pop on upshift, not the dramatic stuff folks talk about.

Post back your year and model details (year ,S or non, PE or non) and let all know what you think after the update
Old 05-28-2020, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thomas Brady
Took car and requested the update. Received that I was told the 'latest" version of software. I stressed that I was interested in bulletin: LI07.08-P-065149 (addon 6527 & 6529). They updated my car (2016 C63S). Car is unchanged. I get crackles, but more like "light 3", not the district 4+ in most videos I've seen . They gave me the XENTRY print out and swore it was all updated to the latest software. The "add on" list did not include 6527 or 6529 on the paper. Would that be included in a generic full update, or must those files/numbers be manually loaded/selected somehow?
I've posted this one in another thread of how to test if the car has been updated. Check if your car does these things:

A list I've compiled from the last thread and also from the W205 forum section of the German forum motor-talk.de which are people's replies in regards to the new software update (some are translated).

• "600kms after the software update (+ annual maintenance).Sport+ and Race nice cracks and pops - eg. second gear, 40->55KM/h, 3000rpm, release pedal, 2 loud pops."

• "Put the car in sport+ then accelerate and lift your foot off the gas at different revs from 2.5k upwards. from 2.5-3.5k you should get 3 or 4 pops and crackles when you lift your foot off."

• "While in park and S+ mode, rev the engine past 3500 rpms and hear the louder and crackling exhaust"

• "With short bursts of gas, or if you accelerate and takes your foot off the gas, the exhaust crackles permanently. And much longer and more often, while it used to crackle 1-2 times, he now does 3-4 times."

• "Furthermore, the transmission now shifts back to 1st gear properly, so I had problems before, it had switched back to 1st gear when rolling out at 21kmh, now it does it at 16kmh and does not jerk. The gearshifts are also different, in S softer in S + / Race it smacks shifts and more toxic."

• "You can recognize the old software versions, for example, by the fact that at S + and rolling out over 20kmh 21-23kmh is switched from 2nd to 1st gear with jerk, new software version switches down gently at 19 / 20kmh."

• "Let roll at a traffic light s + automatic and watch when it shifts from 2nd to 1st gear, 21-23 km / h with jerk old software."

As soon as I got the update done I did a before and after. Now that I've driven it around 1000kms it's become very loud and entertaining.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:06 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
As soon as I got the update done I did a before and after. Now that I've driven it around 1000kms it's become very loud and entertaining.
Are you saying you noticed the difference (improved) sound immediately? Or that it took ~1000km to fully sound its best?
Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you saying you noticed the difference (improved) sound immediately? Or that it took ~1000km to fully sound its best?
That list is a compilation of people's experiences from our forum and overseas forums.

For me, I noticed the sound straight after it was updated. After driving it out of the dealer, when the car warmed up I put it in RACE mode and gave it the beans and suddenly heard these crackles. I further confirmed it by putting it into SPORT+ and watching when it shifts down into 1st gear when coming to a stop (18-19km/h). Prior to the update it would downshift into 1st gear at around 23km/h (when slowing down and approaching a set of lights etc).

Also, there's a drastic improvement in 1st gear take off in SPORT+. It's no longer edgy or sensitive. You have to press the accelerator a bit more in order for it to begin moving. Massive difference and that violent "thump" is gone. This is the main thing that stood out from the update apart from the additional bangs and crackles.

PS: After about 1000km the car was even louder. More crackles on the overrun and the bangs where even louder.

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 05-29-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
I'm scheduled to get the update next week. From what I've read and heard from others, immediately after the update you may not notice any difference or it may even sound quieter than before. My understanding is that the car will then relearn your driving style and the crackles, etc will increase over time, particularly if you drive aggressively. ....
Umm... NO. It's immediate.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:33 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by theclutch
Umm... NO. It's immediate.
That's good to hear. The thread linked below is what I had seen where a few people got the update and said they ended up with quieter exhausts and no crackles/pops. That's what has made me nervous about getting it done.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...re-update.html
Old 05-31-2020, 03:50 PM

C63S
So I've been trying to figure out if my car has had the update. I made a list of the different characteristics that people mentioned for pre and post software update and have been testing and it seems like my car does some as if pre update and some as if post update. In 2nd/3rd, when revving to 3-5k rpms and abruptly lifting off, I have a hard time determining exactly how many pops/crackles I hear. My understanding is that pre-update it's generally 2 pops and post-update it's generally 4 pops. When I do that test, sometimes I don't think I hear any, sometimes it's 2, and sometimes I think I'm hearing more, but it's hard to tell how many exactly as they kind of run into each other.

Another test I saw mentioned was that with the TCU update, when in S+ and rolling to a stop, the 2->1 downshift occurs at 13-15 mph pre-update and 10 mph post-update. Well mine downshifts at 10-11 mph.

And then another was when in park/neutral, revving to ~3500 rpms, lifting off and seeing if it's 2 or 4 pops. I think I hear more like 4 with that test.

So some of these tests lead me to think it hasn't been done and some lead me to think it has been done. My car's build date was 4/16 and I was just reviewing the service history and came across the below. Could that be it? If I go in for my update this week and it has already had it, I assume the worst is that it just won't update since it already has it? Or will they be able to tell if it has it before actually doing the process?

Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 PM

C63S & F150
These are from the software update I had done last Thursday. Even though latest, I don't feel like it has the emotional 4x pop.. Poor quality image, but maybe something that will help understand

Old 06-03-2020, 05:43 PM

C63S
Just picked up after the update. I have a '16 C63S (4/16 build) with PE.

Did a 20-30 min drive to try to test out the sounds. I think while driving I noticed fewer pops/crackles than I did pre-update. Not markedly so, but the occurrences seemed to be more infrequent. Pre-update, there were certain scenarios where I could almost assuredly get pops/crackles every time. That wasn't happening as much. I also never got a string of 4 pops. More like 1-2 which is the same as I would get pre-update. I think revving while parked did get an extra 1-2 pops than I was getting before.

I absolutely noticed the throttle lag that some have complained about after the update (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...nd-update.html). There's just an extra beat or two after getting on the pedal from a stop before the car moves at all. It seems that was the TCU "correction" for the jerky low speed S+ shifts. I think I'm going to need to get a sprintbooster/pedal box to rectify that newly created problem.

My exhaust was already pretty loud pre-update and I was pretty reliably getting 1-2 pops. The AMG tech at the dealer also commented that it was already pretty loud compared to other C63s he's worked on. He said he's had plenty of people come in with the Xentry printout and the post-update reactions are all over the place with most people saying they didn't notice any difference. Just a lot of variables such as build date, software installed, which exhaust etc.

I'm going to continue testing it out, but at the moment I'd say I wish I could reverse it. Because my exhaust already sounded good, I think it now sounds the same but with slightly fewer pops/crackles. So the main difference is now I have increased lag when stepping on it from a stop.

One other change I wasn't really fexpecting is that holds gears much longer. It's nice when spirited driving. But it really holds them even when I'm just cruising to the point that I need to shift manually.

Thomas Brady, what was your build date? It sounds like we both didn't notice much change to the exhaust sound. Have you noticed any increased throttle lag with a spirited launch from a stop?

Last edited by jherm; 06-03-2020 at 07:15 PM.