Autovlog Video Review of 2019 C63S Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Vader-C63sE1
+1

i have ave watched his overly long and boring videos and he doesn’t really know **** about cars. I don’t care for his content.
Exactly. But hey, who wouldn’t want to watch a 22 minute video on a surprise MOD, just to find out it’s window tint. Ugh.
The following users liked this post:
MajesticLuk (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Concentrating one the issue at hand though, the 2019 C63 is on its way of killing a cherished dream of mine. I am ready to place an order but I do not see the point if the car sounds duller than my current one. If wanted straight sounding engines without any flare, I would get a M car. If Mercedes does not fix the exhaust issue, I cannot see myself driving this car. Being a huge Mercedes-AMG fan it hurts a lot to write this.

Last edited by munis; 07-09-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 605 Likes on 345 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
^ LOL . Oh really? The lack of pops and crackles is the only reason you have a C450 instead of C63?
The following 2 users liked this post by raudiace4:
rioxu72 (07-09-2019), Xec (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by Ph4tLyfe
He's more into the fart can noises than the actually drive itself.. if you noticed his AMG with the tune and fart can capability he could not stop making it fart all over the place.. then he came to his senses and went back to stock snap crackle and pop.. The bad accent Mr Clean is not so clean in his reviews.. more click bait like his buddy from vehicle virgins.. one day the best he's ever driven was an M5 competiton then he own a Lambo.. click baiter all over youtube.. I'm waiting for an honest review from M Clean, and found none so far.
"mr. clean" ...
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Honestly this sound issue is way overblown. The 2019 missing some of the pre-FL pops does NOT ruin the car in any way lmao. This is still the best sounding car in its class bar none. The US spec cars especially, since they are not quieter without the EU particulate filter. The 2019 retains the same character I fondly remember in the 2017 C63 sans some software theatrics that can probably be easily added back.

Some people here acting like they swapped to a BMW M inline-6 😂 Even without downshift pops, the 2019 still takes a dump on the new M5 V8 sound
Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Xec
Honestly this sound issue is way overblown. The 2019 missing some of the pre-FL pops does NOT ruin the car in any way lmao. This is still the best sounding car in its class bar none. The US spec cars especially, since they are not quieter without the EU particulate filter. The 2019 retains the same character I fondly remember in the 2017 C63 sans some software theatrics that can probably be easily added back.

Some people here acting like they swapped to a BMW M inline-6 😂 Even without downshift pops, the 2019 still takes a dump on the new M5 V8 sound
Seriously it's such a silly thing. It's still an M177 TTV8 and still sounds like an actual AMG should.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by raudiace4
^ LOL . Oh really? The lack of pops and crackles is the only reason you have a C450 instead of C63?
Yes? Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C63s Edition 1 JB4
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Exactly. But hey, who wouldn’t want to watch a 22 minute video on a surprise MOD, just to find out it’s window tint. Ugh.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Xec

+1...I was starting to think I must be the only one. We have at least two threads going about this and the world seems to be ending for some people. Interestingly, most of the gripes seem to come from folks who have never even sat in a 2019. I tried to add a positive note to the other thread as somebody who has really no issues with the sound of the 2019 and in fact likes it more. I'm now back in the USA and back in my '13 RS5 (V8) and the first thing I noticed is how quiet my RS5 is compared to the C63 It's gonna be a long 2 months waiting to be reunited with my car.

I've commented on this before, but it seems the ownership for a lot of folks is reduced to literally farting, popping and banging around town due to lack of opportunity to really enjoy this car for what it is. I cringe every time somebody refers to the C63 as a German muscle car. That's a moniker coined by Americans missing the point of where this car is from. I can somewhat understand it, though, as historically AMGs like American muscle cars were poor handling regular Mercedes with a big noisy engine dropped in them, but that's no longer the case. The AutoVlog guy is the perfect example. He farts around PA and the only time he has actually driven an interesting road worthy of the car is when he shipped his C63S out here to California for $4k to drive some of our canyon roads. Bit of a sad situation IMO, but to each their own. I'm just kinda sad how many don't get to experience this car for what it is and drive it on some amazing roads like I had the pleasure for the last 2 months and I'm looking forward to hitting up the canyon roads with it here in NorCal.

I just leave this here. This is the Stelvio mountain pass across the border of Switzerland in Italy in the Eastern Alps. 48 hairpins going up to ~9000ft. This is what this car is about.

The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
AV1 (07-09-2019), FearlessFarris (07-09-2019), Xec (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:10 PM

c63s
i'm one of these people who have not sat in a 2019...in fact, most of the cars i get i just choose and order bc i lease my cars every 3 years and figure there's nothing to lose with going with some of these premium brands. i did this for my M4 and the GTR (nissan) before it and have no regrets; i did so for this C63 as well so i'm sure it's going to be fine...

that said, this "sound" issue--for me--is nothing more than the idea that i might not get the full experience expected from this car. i'm greedy. i want everything that i've seen and read about this car. the sound issue, even though not everything to me, is an important part of this car. as stated by others, i'm sure it still sounds great and i'll be happy with it; i just don't like the feeling of getting a vehicle that has been modified (i.e. dumbed down) somehow from the presser cars i've seen/heard. if it's the same engine and--virtually--the same car as previous MYs then it should sound the same. and the fact that "authorities" on the subject (such as mr. amg) have concurred there is a sound issue, gives me an even deeper sense of loss; this all while i don't even have the car yet.

in any case, i will enjoy driving this car anywhere and everywhere i take it (which most likely won't include a track), but i still want the FULL experience of every aspect of it, including the sound potential, as well. the very notion that it's not what it should be just doesn't sit well with me...probably the worst part about it is that AMG has been silent on the subject. i hope they fix it.
Uga Uga (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mrguitar
i'm one of these people who have not sat in a 2019...in fact, most of the cars i get i just choose and order bc i lease my cars every 3 years and figure there's nothing to lose with going with some of these premium brands. i did this for my M4 and the GTR (nissan) before it and have no regrets; i did so for this C63 as well so i'm sure it's going to be fine...

that said, this "sound" issue--for me--is nothing more than the idea that i might not get the full experience expected from this car. i'm greedy. i want everything that i've seen and read about this car. the sound issue, even though not everything to me, is an important part of this car. as stated by others, i'm sure it still sounds great and i'll be happy with it; i just don't like the feeling of getting a vehicle that has been modified (i.e. dumbed down) somehow from the presser cars i've seen/heard. if it's the same engine and--virtually--the same car as previous MYs then it should sound the same. and the fact that "authorities" on the subject (such as mr. amg) have concurred there is a sound issue, gives me an even deeper sense of loss; this all while i don't even have the car yet.

in any case, i will enjoy driving this car anywhere and everywhere i take it (which most likely won't include a track), but i still want the FULL experience of every aspect of it, including the sound potential, as well. the very notion that it's not what it should be just doesn't sit well with me...probably the worst part about it is that AMG has been silent on the subject. i hope they fix it.
That's fair. IMO it's a different experience not less of an experience. I'm also not sure it's really that different from the press cars. All we heard was from videos and such. I know Mr. AMG has driven the press cars, but he also is in Europe and his has the particulate filter, which ours don't. You'll also get to enjoy a cab. Drop the roof and I'm sure it has all the sound you'd want. Unfortunately, the noise and emissions regulations are getting stricter every year in Europe. Some manufacturers may opt for different exhausts for their US models like Audi has done with the new facelifted R8 and AMG has somewhat done by leaving out the particulate filter, but at the end of the day, they are not gonna focus on making noisier cars for the USA. They'll have their hands full trying to meet EU regulations. I forgot the exact numbers, but EU regulations now mandate that by 2022 or something like the exhaust noise cannot surpass something like 68 dba. That's down from 86 dba or something like that. Currently it's at around 74. These cars will get quieter no matter how much anyone complains. We'll see more and more induction sound to provide the experience from inside the cabin, but outside the cars will get a lot quieter.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
I’d like it to be a little louder no doubt.. but damn do I get the looks and thumbs up when I make it pop and bang.. people are seriously still impressed even car guys I know that own lambos ferrari’s And other exotics. It in no way makes me second guess my decision. How the car drives and the improvement in the drivers zone makes it a million times better than the pre facelift’s I have driven. I also do not doubt amg will make a software change and improve it. The more people complain the faster the complaint will be dealt with. It’s that simple.
The following 3 users liked this post by purplewidow:
AV1 (07-09-2019), superswiss (07-09-2019), Uga Uga (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's fair. IMO it's a different experience not less of an experience. I'm also not sure it's really that different from the press cars. All we heard was from videos and such. I know Mr. AMG has driven the press cars, but he also is in Europe and his has the particulate filter, which ours don't. You'll also get to enjoy a cab. Drop the roof and I'm sure it has all the sound you'd want. Unfortunately, the noise and emissions regulations are getting stricter every year in Europe. Some manufacturers may opt for different exhausts for their US models like Audi has done with the new facelifted R8 and AMG has somewhat done by leaving out the particulate filter, but at the end of the day, they are not gonna focus on making noisier cars for the USA. They'll have their hands full trying to meet EU regulations. I forgot the exact numbers, but EU regulations now mandate that by 2022 or something like the exhaust noise cannot surpass something like 68 dba. That's down from 86 dba or something like that. Currently it's at around 74. These cars will get quieter no matter how much anyone complains. We'll see more and more induction sound to provide the experience from inside the cabin, but outside the cars will get a lot quieter.
makes sense. and yes, i love convertibles, and try to drive with the top down all the time...can't wait!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not understand why Mercedes cannot do what Lamborghini or Ferrari does and have a full open exhaust for track use only. Then if the end user wants to use that in the street, leave it up to them to deal with the consequences of that. I do not know if people have any idea what 68db entails, but in a noise level chart, it is considered moderate to quiet levels. Soft piano music is considered to be louder.

The pops and crackles to me is an integral part of the user experience for these cars. Atleast to a lot of people it is. Just see the RS5 vs C63s video by Motortrend, or any other video on pre facelift C63s on youtube, the sound is all most of the people talk about. That car is all about the flares and flatulence added by AMG. You can see to what lengths AMG went to make the w205 sound good towards the beginning (cutting slits in the pipes to tune the sound), it felt like the engineers wanted to make the car sound good with a passion. This was a small yet significant difference between AMGs and its rivals from BMW or Audi. All the other niceties that comes with the facelift, other manufactures have them too (digital dash and stuff), it was the sound that was setting AMG apart till now. If I throw engine sound out of the equation, you have to ask yourself why you are not getting a M4 instead (specially since G80 is rumored to get the same amount of power as the C63s, and like always, will handle significantly better than a C63s.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by munis
I do not understand why Mercedes cannot do what Lamborghini or Ferrari does and have a full open exhaust for track use only. Then if the end user wants to use that in the street, leave it up to them to deal with the consequences of that. I do not know if people have any idea what 68db entails, but in a noise level chart, it is considered moderate to quiet levels. Soft piano music is considered to be louder.

The pops and crackles to me is an integral part of the user experience for these cars. Atleast to a lot of people it is. Just see the RS5 vs C63s video by Motortrend, or any other video on pre facelift C63s on youtube, the sound is all most of the people talk about. That car is all about the flares and flatulence added by AMG. You can see to what lengths AMG went to make the w205 sound good towards the beginning (cutting slits in the pipes to tune the sound), it felt like the engineers wanted to make the car sound good with a passion. This was a small yet significant difference between AMGs and its rivals from BMW or Audi. All the other niceties that comes with the facelift, other manufactures have them too (digital dash and stuff), it was the sound that was setting AMG apart till now. If I throw engine sound out of the equation, you have to ask yourself why you are not getting a M4 instead (specially since G80 is rumored to get the same amount of power as the C63s, and like always, will handle significantly better than a C63s.
I believe they are already doing this. As far as I can tell, the car is louder and more theatrical in Race mode. One thing to understand about these EU noise regulations is that those limits are at 4000 rpm and below and measured at a fixed distance from the rear bumper. The 2019 gets noticeably louder in the higher rpm range, and others have already said that it pops and bangs above 5000 rpm just fine. What we might have here is a case of it being toned down at lower rpms to meet the regulations and also no pops&bangs while the car is stationary. Other makes such as Audi actually have a 4000 rpm rev limiter while stationary in their latest models, so you can't even rev it and make a lot of noise in a parking lot. Another thing of these EU regulations relates to the kind of valved exhausts our cars have. In Europe, they are no longer allowed to open the valves below 80 kph. This might explain why some of our European friends find the car quiet. All these new rules are primarily addressing noise at low speeds while driving in towns and cities. Not sure if the 2019 C63 is already subject to this new rule. The US spec cars are definitely not. The exhaust opens even while stationary and drones quite a bit on a cold start if you open it right away.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-09-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
In comfort mode my 2019 is louder than my 2017, valves open or closed.

In sport+ or Race my 2019 does not come any close to delivering the fun factor my 2017 offered.

That said, I have no regrets at all. An improved product in all other updated areas

The pops and bangs my 2017 delivered were just right in stock form, and not as vulgar as AutoVlog’s tuned C63 which sounded awful.

I am beginning to think that SuperSwiss’s theory of
emissions both exhaust gas and sound could be right.

If that is the reason, then why wouldn’t AMG just say so.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 07-10-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Concentrating one the issue at hand though, the 2019 C63 is on its way of killing a cherished dream of mine. I am ready to place an order but I do not see the point if the car sounds duller than my current one. If wanted straight sounding engines without any flare, I would get a M car. If Mercedes does not fix the exhaust issue, I cannot see myself driving this car. Being a huge Mercedes-AMG fan it hurts a lot to write this.
Yeah, don't. Get 2017-2018 or something else. 2017 C43 was more fun to drive imo...
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Yeah, don't. Get 2017-2018 or something else. 2017 C43 was more fun to drive imo...
But I really like having the 9 speed tranny!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
But I really like having the 9 speed tranny!
I would assess it for myself. Not sure what kind of driving @NYCSoiL does, but I would seriously challenge his assessment. Depends on what fun is to one. RWD is by definition more fun than the fixed AWD system in the current C43 in terms of driving dynamics. The new 4Matic+ system from the E63 and GT 4-door would be a different story. The sound of the V8 at full roar even w/o pops&bangs puts the V6 to shame in my opinion. Dynamically, the C63 is a hoot on a nice curvy mountain/canyon road and is so much sharper thanks to the front wheels not also having to propel the car forward. If you have the opportunity to take the car closer to 10/10, the C63 will be much more fun than the C43, but as I commented before, if one's ownership is reduced to farting and popping around town and never really taking advantage of what the car offers dynamically, then perhaps the C43 is a better choice.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would assess it for myself. Not sure what kind of driving @NYCSoiL does, but I would seriously challenge his assessment. Depends on what fun is to one. RWD is by definition more fun than the fixed AWD system in the current C43 in terms of driving dynamics. The new 4Matic+ system from the E63 and GT 4-door would be a different story. The sound of the V8 at full roar even w/o pops&bangs puts the V6 to shame in my opinion. Dynamically, the C63 is a hoot on a nice curvy mountain/canyon road and is so much sharper thanks to the front wheels not also having to propel the car forward. If you have the opportunity to take the car closer to 10/10, the C63 will be much more fun than the C43, but as I commented before, if one's ownership is reduced to farting and popping around town and never really taking advantage of what the car offers dynamically, then perhaps the C43 is a better choice.
But like I said above, if you are considering the car dynamically, M4 is a better car than the C63s. If your are taking one to the canyon and if you are a good driver, you will be rewarded more in the BMW. Take the sound and theatrics out of the equation, why a C63s over M4? You can say the V8 rumble, but that is basically it. Also the 2018 C63s cars provides you with the actual experience you are supposed to get with this car. I do not see any new 2019 owner would be complete satisfied knowing that its previous model provides a better overall experience. Anyone who has experienced the previous years would definitely know what they are missing. If you think people complaining here is bad, check the AMG Private lounge where there is a 10 page thread about people banging their heads about this.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
But like I said above, if you are considering the car dynamically, M4 is a better car than the C63s. If your are taking one to the canyon and if you are a good driver, you will be rewarded more in the BMW. Take the sound and theatrics out of the equation, why a C63s over M4? You can say the V8 rumble, but that is basically it. Also the 2018 C63s cars provides you with the actual experience you are supposed to get with this car. I do not see any new 2019 owner would be complete satisfied knowing that its previous model provides a better overall experience. Anyone who has experienced the previous years would definitely know what they are missing. If you think people complaining here is bad, check the AMG Private lounge where there is a 10 page thread about people banging their heads about this.
It's always a combination of things. To me the main criteria is how good of a GT is the car and how good is it dynamically. Yes, the M4 is better dynamically, but it is a worse GT and daily. I do a lot of long road trips and the M4 doesn't have the kinds of driving assistance features that are offered in the C63. You can't even get simple adaptive cruise control in the M4. The M4 is more geared towards the track, whereas the C63 is a better balance between GT/daily and track/dynamic driving. A lot of it has to do with how the cars are configured and how one intends to use it. As said I'm looking for good balance between daily/GT use and weekend fun. While I was in Europe I drove ~6200 miles in 8 weeks. At times I was on the road for 14 hours in a single day and the driving assistance features in the C63 make that a very doable thing w/o arriving completely exhausted at the other end, even when going at triple digit speeds for most of the way. I always say, buy the car that checks the most boxes for the kind of driving that you will do.

EDIT: The tech and how the car drives, minus perhaps the sound depending on your perspective, are vastly improved in the 2019. Not to mention the exterior looks with the new grill and the new areo package. All the improvements in the 2019 for me vastly overshadow the perhaps less theatrical sound, but as I said I have really no issue with the sound in the 2019. I got to experience it on the Nurburgring and some awesome mountain pass roads and will be driving it in Race in canyons here to get the theatrics and experience. If the car is quieter around town and when cruising long distances on the highway, that's alright with me. That goes to the GT/daily capabilities of this car.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-11-2019 at 10:50 AM.
munis (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol Munis just regurgitates whatever car magazine he reads online. Having driven M4s and M3s the only advantage they have is in their sublime steering feel compared to W205 C63s. Can they post better times at the track? Maybe, if you're a world class talent behind the wheel. The average joe there is not going to be any discernible difference. Real world driving C63s are better daily drivers, offer much more character along with being faster stock vs stock and tuned vs tuned.

It's just preference. Also anyone saying a C43 whatever is more fun to drive than a facelift C63 solely based on stupid pops and crackles from exhaust is laughable and discredits any opinions you have in the future.

I have no idea why a C450 owner is constantly talking and comparing C63s to BMWs and saying they aren't as good.

Go buy a M4 then and get out of C63 forums? Really weird.
superswiss (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol Munis just regurgitates whatever car magazine he reads online. Having driven M4s and M3s the only advantage they have is in their sublime steering feel compared to W205 C63s. Can they post better times at the track? Maybe, if you're a world class talent behind the wheel. The average joe there is not going to be any discernible difference. Real world driving C63s are better daily drivers, offer much more character along with being faster stock vs stock and tuned vs tuned.

It's just preference. Also anyone saying a C43 whatever is more fun to drive than a facelift C63 solely based on stupid pops and crackles from exhaust is laughable and discredits any opinions you have in the future.

I have no idea why a C450 owner is constantly talking and comparing C63s to BMWs and saying they aren't as good.

Do you get off on calling me a c450 owner or something? Feels like you get a good kick out of it. I did not know you need to own a certain car to be in a certain subsection in this forum. But then again I do not see anyone else here being an ******* besides you, so carry on.

May be get your head out of your butt for once. You did the same thing when I posted the thread for JB4 coming out for the C63s. We all know how that turned out. If you have a problem with me, PM me. But stop badgering me for every post I write on the forum.

Last edited by munis; 07-11-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Dieseldan9 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P

Dude you really need to chill out regarding the C43. We're glad that you have the C63 and happy with it. Good for you, but please, stop hating.
munis (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
So far I'm not happy with the car and how MBUSA threats their customers. Apart from exhaust scam, build quality of mine 2019, a hundred thousands dollar car is disappointing. Heck, my Tesla's build quality is better. $2k Aerodynamic package was attached using snots, paint drops all over the body... Misfire that I now have to deal with.

My 2017 C43 was bulletproof for almost 25k miles with Stage 1 tune, multiple track days and being driven hard every single day in NYC all year around.
Chrisk03 (07-11-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autovlog Video Review of 2019 C63S Coupe