Sponsored by:

High Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F90 M5
High Speed Vibration

Hello all!!!!!!!! I am sorry if this was answered somewhere else, but I could not seem to find anything on the topic. Getting back to the main point, I am noticing a vibration throughout the car (not steering) when I'm at speeds above 60-70mph. I also noticed heavy vibration above 115mph, feels like an out of balance wheel. The thing is, I got a new set of tires installed this year and still noticed it, also all the wheel weights are in place and did not fall off. Does anyone have an idea on why this would happen?

EDIT: Also, not too sure if this will make a difference, but it's a very high-frequency vibration. The best way to describe it is to say it's like going over very soft rumble strips at around 60mph.

Last edited by Oreo_c63_; 10-14-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
PFL C63s EC Stage II
🤔maybe theres something stuck to the rim from inside?
Old 10-14-2020, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,579 Posts
2019 C63CS
There can be several different reasons for this. From worn suspension parts to unfavorably mounted tires. Did you have the new tires road force balanced, or just high speed balanced? The former simulates road force and makes sure the high and low points of the tire/wheel combination are properly matched to avoid vibration. It's pretty much a must with low profile tires. Regular balancing just makes sure the wheel spins freely without vibration, but it doesn't detect high and low points that cause an issue once you are actually driving on the road. Road force balancing will also identify tires that got damaged during transport or don't quite meet the specs from the factory. It's not uncommon for tires to get damaged during shipping, specially if they are bounced on the ground while unloading from the truck. Tires don't like that and the belts can actually be bent that way w/o the wheel and air pressure providing the necessary support.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-14-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 PM

F90 M5
Originally Posted by superswiss
There can be several different reasons for this. From worn suspension parts to unfavorably mounted tires. Did you have the new tires road force balanced, or just high speed balanced? The former simulates road force and makes sure the high and low points of the tire/wheel combination are properly matched to avoid vibration. It's pretty much a must with low profile tires. Regular balancing just makes sure the wheel spins freely without vibration, but it doesn't detect high and low points that cause an issue once you are actually driving on the road. Road force balancing will also identify tires that got damaged during transport or don't quite meet the specs from the factory. It's not uncommon for tires to get damaged during shipping, specially if they are bounced on the ground while unloading from the truck. Tires don't like that and the belts can actually be bent that way w/o the wheel and air pressure providing the necessary support.
I doubt they were road force balanced, I got them installed at a small local tire shop. I was thinking ball joints also, but the lack of force balancing might be the culprit. Thank you very much for the recommendation!
Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM

F90 M5
Originally Posted by PaulC63s
🤔maybe theres something stuck to the rim from inside?
I do not think anything was stuck, but I will check!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:06 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
It could also be from a bent rim. Did you happen to hit any large potholes or gaps in the roadway during your ownership? It's also possible a prior owner (if you bought used) may have damaged a wheel. A good wheel shop should be able to check that out for you, as well as road force balance the tires, to eliminate that as a possibility.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:56 PM

F90 M5
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
It could also be from a bent rim. Did you happen to hit any large potholes or gaps in the roadway during your ownership? It's also possible a prior owner (if you bought used) may have damaged a wheel. A good wheel shop should be able to check that out for you, as well as road force balance the tires, to eliminate that as a possibility.
That's a daily occurrence hahaha. The PA roads are awful, but I try to avoid potholes. If it was bent, I feel like they would've told me when I got the tires installed.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Year and mileage? Any spacers? Brand tires? How many miles on the tires? New or used MB?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM

F90 M5
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Year and mileage? Any spacers? Brand tires? How many miles on the tires? New or used MB?
2016 c63 with 38k miles. P4s tires up front and pss tires in the rear (don't ask, long story haha). 3000 mi on rear tires, 1000mi on front. No spacers.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Oreo_c63_
Hello all!!!!!!!! I am sorry if this was answered somewhere else, but I could not seem to find anything on the topic. Getting back to the main point, I am noticing a vibration throughout the car (not steering) when I'm at speeds above 60-70mph. I also noticed heavy vibration above 115mph, feels like an out of balance wheel. The thing is, I got a new set of tires installed this year and still noticed it, also all the wheel weights are in place and did not fall off. Does anyone have an idea on why this would happen?

EDIT: Also, not too sure if this will make a difference, but it's a very high-frequency vibration. The best way to describe it is to say it's like going over very soft rumble strips at around 60mph.
Any questions about alignment or wheels, i've been through every experience with these cars.

Two things are causing this. Either:

Your wheels need to be balanced and aligned
Your wheels are cracked or buckled

Unfortunately these "forged" AMG wheels are very weak. I've repaired mine for cracks TWICE and I'm onto my 2nd set for my coupe. I'm hoping your issue is just balancing and alignment so please have those two things addressed first and let us know how you go.

Make sure your tire pressures are at least 38psi on the fronts. Never go lower or you will get cracks 😕
Old 10-15-2020, 10:46 AM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Any questions about alignment or wheels, i've been through every experience with these cars.

Two things are causing this. Either:

Your wheels need to be balanced and aligned
Your wheels are cracked or buckled

Unfortunately these "forged" AMG wheels are very weak. I've repaired mine for cracks TWICE and I'm onto my 2nd set for my coupe. I'm hoping your issue is just balancing and alignment so please have those two things addressed first and let us know how you go.

Make sure your tire pressures are at least 38psi on the fronts. Never go lower or you will get cracks 😕
38 psi sounds like a lot and its well above the recommended level no? Id imagine the ride to be pretty stiff at those levels
Old 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by untamedd
38 psi sounds like a lot and its well above the recommended level no? Id imagine the ride to be pretty stiff at those levels
Nope, not at all stiff. Anything over 40psi can be a bit stiff and "crashy" on bad roads but still not too bad.

AMG themselves recommended 38psi front and 36psi rear for coupes (as posted by Sanch, here).
Old 10-15-2020, 02:04 PM

F90 M5
Nope, not at all stiff. Anything over 40psi can be a bit stiff and "crashy" on bad roads but still not too bad.

AMG themselves recommended 38psi front and 36psi rear for coupes (as posted by Sanch, here).
My tires were a little low, I run them around 34 cold 37-38 warm in 80* F temps, but since the outdoor temps have been going down, they were 31 cold this morning. Raised them to 41 and will test later tonight.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My tires were a little low, I run them around 34 cold 37-38 warm in 80* F temps, but since the outdoor temps have been going down, they were 31 cold this morning. Raised them to 41 and will test later tonight.
Cool. Yeah 34psi is comfortable but for our OEM wheels, it's risky. I guarantee you running those pressures on the fronts will get your wheels bent or cracked if you hit one of those bad potholes.

Good to hear you've pumped them up, they will feel harsher but you'll be protecting those wheels from cracking or buckling.

Day or night, grab a torch and check the wheels, especially the two front wheels, the bottom of the spokes where they join the rim for any cracks or buckles.

Let us know how you go with the vibrating issue 👍

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 10-15-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:40 PM

F90 M5
Cool. Yeah 34psi is comfortable but for our OEM wheels, it's risky. I guarantee you running those pressures on the fronts will get your wheels bent or cracked if you hit one of those bad potholes.

Good to hear you've pumped them up, they will feel harsher but you'll be protecting those wheels from cracking or buckling.

Day or night, grab a torch and check the wheels, especially the two front wheels, the bottom of the spokes where they join the rim for any cracks or buckles.

Let us know how you go with the vibrating issue 👍
I did not see anything when I checked earlier. I will update everyone after doing a brisk 60.....plus or minus a few hehe
Old 10-16-2020, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did not see anything when I checked earlier. I will update everyone after doing a brisk 60.....plus or minus a few hehe
Hey mate, how did you go with the higher tire pressures? Have you managed to get your balance and alignment done yet?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
In my experience, most places do a cap job at balancing wheels. I remember having this issue with my 16 GL550 and I had gone back to the dealer 3 times for vibration. They ended up sending it out to a third party who had a better tire balancing machine. Viola, problem solved.

I would go and call around some high end tire and wheel shops.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy_c63s (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by elitex
In my experience, most places do a cap job at balancing wheels.
This is very true, even here in Australia. The tire shops that do "free fitting & balancing" when you buy tires are the main culprits, too.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:10 PM

F90 M5
Hey mate, how did you go with the higher tire pressures? Have you managed to get your balance and alignment done yet?
I do think the higher pressure helped a lot, did not seem to feel much at all, but I think I still felt it. (It was a very short drive) I will assume the tires are not properly balanced and check that out, I do not think I have any bent/cracked rims though.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do think the higher pressure helped a lot, did not seem to feel much at all, but I think I still felt it. (It was a very short drive) I will assume the tires are not properly balanced and check that out, I do not think I have any bent/cracked rims though.
There you go, an improvement already.

Get them balanced and aligned and you should be good to go mate. Keep us updated 🤙
Old 10-16-2020, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,579 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by elitex
In my experience, most places do a cap job at balancing wheels. I remember having this issue with my 16 GL550 and I had gone back to the dealer 3 times for vibration. They ended up sending it out to a third party who had a better tire balancing machine. Viola, problem solved.

I would go and call around some high end tire and wheel shops.
This is very true, even here in Australia. The tire shops that do "free fitting & balancing" when you buy tires are the main culprits, too.
I agree. I never go to these discount tire shops that some people seem to like. I used to go to a local tire shop, but stopped once I saw them patch one of my tires and not rebalance it afterwards. They just marked it with chalk, and then approximately put the tire back on the same way. This might be sufficient for a Toyota Camry, but not a performance car with low profile tires. I now take it to a performance indy shop and they properly road force balance the tires and reject anything that doesn't meet specs. They are sponsoring track events and know what they are doing. I don't have them do alignments, though. They seem to struggle with modern cars that need a bunch of sensors reset after an alignment. I had issues with my previous Audi RS5 and only managed to get it resolved after having the dealership do a proper alignment and I had my C63S aligned at the my MB dealership earlier this year. I don't know if my MB dealership does road force balancing, but I had them fix a bent front left wheel and replace the bubbled tire after I drove over raised pavement at high speed a few weeks ago. They did a good job and no vibration, but once I'm due for new tires again, I'll take it to my indy. They've put on my current set of PS4S.