CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Please help a forum member, expert appraisal advice needed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 65/LX470
Please help a forum member, expert appraisal advice needed...

My 2005 Cl65 was rear ended by a utility truck. We managed to get to a CL authorized collision repair shop, Caldwell Collision in NC. Repairs will be $26,600. Fortunately, the damage was not structural as the frame was not involved.

The adjuster for the truck company is claiming that the vehicle with 28 k miles, still under warranty, new tires and not a scratch prior to the accident is only worth $50,000 and they want to total the vehicle. Fortunately, my insurer recognized that under NC law the vehicle is totaled only if the repair cost equals 75% of value and State Farm will cover the repairs.

I need to find experts that can evaluate the true value of the vehicle. Most 2006 CL65 that are listed for sale do not have a warranty and they do not have all options. I need to determine the amount of depreciation due to the accident and the value prior to the accident.

Can anyone recommend an expert to provide an opinion?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Honestly, I would be pushing to have the car totaled. I recall that there was an unfortunate situation where an SL65 on here was repaired after a frontal collision. The car never performed the same afterwards, even after repeated attempts by the MB dealer to solve the power loss. I know we can get attached to our cars, but cars are never the same after a collision. Just my $0.02. Good luck no matter what happens!

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
I agree with TMC. Total the car, go find another one / newer one.

After all, it's just a car.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 AM

CL 65/LX470
The problem with totaling and trying to replace the vehicle is that it is almost impossible to find a CL65 that is still under warranty. I wouldn't dream of having one of these w/o warranty coverage due to the incredibly high repair costs. The ABC system appears to be guaranteed to fail at some point and that one repair bill alone is ridiculous.

Had this been a front end collision or involving the frame is would write the car off in a second. Even then I wouldn't accept a lowball figure as compensation.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by GoodBeach
The problem with totaling and trying to replace the vehicle is that it is almost impossible to find a CL65 that is still under warranty. I wouldn't dream of having one of these w/o warranty coverage due to the incredibly high repair costs. The ABC system appears to be guaranteed to fail at some point and that one repair bill alone is ridiculous.

Had this been a front end collision or involving the frame is would write the car off in a second. Even then I wouldn't accept a lowball figure as compensation.
My parents had an '86 420SEL that was rear ended. The car was fixed instead of totaled. There was no frame damage as well. However, the car never drove the same. The camber always seemed off in the rear.

Here are some CPO'ed W215 CL65's for sale:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

You may also try finding the car you want and try negotiate a comprehensive aftermarket warranty from a reputable company as part of the sales price. These cars tend to be on the dealer lots for a very long time (unless priced aggressively low).

Tom
Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 AM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.

I know someone who may have one for sale. 05 like yours, about 60K on the clock, CPO warranty to 75K. If you wish, I can ask him if it's still for sale and how much.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
My 2005 Cl65 was rear ended by a utility truck. We managed to get to a CL authorized collision repair shop, Caldwell Collision in NC. Repairs will be $26,600. Fortunately, the damage was not structural as the frame was not involved.

The adjuster for the truck company is claiming that the vehicle with 28 k miles, still under warranty, new tires and not a scratch prior to the accident is only worth $50,000 and they want to total the vehicle. Fortunately, my insurer recognized that under NC law the vehicle is totaled only if the repair cost equals 75% of value and State Farm will cover the repairs.

I need to find experts that can evaluate the true value of the vehicle. Most 2006 CL65 that are listed for sale do not have a warranty and they do not have all options. I need to determine the amount of depreciation due to the accident and the value prior to the accident.

Can anyone recommend an expert to provide an opinion?

Thanks,
Dave

If the car is Worth 50k and it is 26k to repair then it should be repaired. It may not be in your best interest but legally the insurance must effect repair since that is a mere 52% of the value well below a total loss figure.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by juicee63
If the car is Worth 50k and it is 26k to repair then it should be repaired. It may not be in your best interest but legally the insurance must effect repair since that is a mere 52% of the value well below a total loss figure.
Although with a rare car like this, the diminished value should be taken into account. Let's face it, you will probably see $26K accident repair on a Carfax on this car. Who in the world would pay the KBB private sale price for it? You could easily be looking at an additional $10K impairment in value going forward. So for argument's sake, lets call it $36K in loss/repair and now it becomes 72%.

Tom
Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM

CL 65/LX470
Originally Posted by TMC M5
My parents had an '86 420SEL that was rear ended. The car was fixed instead of totaled. There was no frame damage as well. However, the car never drove the same. The camber always seemed off in the rear.

Here are some CPO'ed W215 CL65's for sale:

You may also try finding the car you want and try negotiate a comprehensive aftermarket warranty from a reputable company as part of the sales price. These cars tend to be on the dealer lots for a very long time (unless priced aggressively low).

Tom
Except for CPO the only company that covers the ABC system via extended warranty is Fidelity. All of the others exclude the hydraulic hoses and damage resulting from their rupture. The 2005 cars are out of OEM warranty so you can't get an extended warranty on them.

The $50,000 the insurer is a lowball even by auto trader standards. The cars listed don't show that they have the vehicles optioned out with keyless go, and radar cruise control. This is why I need an expert to value the car and fight for a fair appraisal.

Dave
Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
total it---

It will be worthless on a resale.....

As for getting another..I drive a S65 with no warranty and a S55 with 131k miles with no warranty...and have put 10's of thousands of miles on others with NO WARRANTY...and havent spent a total cost of one warranty for all the cars I have owned in repairs....seriously

The cost of repairs is not bad at all going with an independant mechanic....

Dont be afraid of a car....these cars are more reliable then you think...

ABC on all 4 corners is less then $3k and you will never need all 4
Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
You are sitting on a car that is worth less than 50k right now if pristine and after the repair will be prolly worth less than 40k. The 50k number is not a lowball. It is actually pretty good even for your car with keyless and distro.

Have it totalled if you can.

Alex
Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
I guess everybody else already said it. Total it!

Who would be in their right state of mind buying a $50K car with that much damage? When I see "accident", no matter how small, I'll pass regardless of the price.

$50K for a 2005 CL65 with 28K miles is not bad of a price. Perhaps you could try to negotiate and get few more grands from them? Insurance companies would try their best to total cars in cases like this so you could play along and get few more grands.

You can get another CL65 and buy extended warranty.