CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Scammed by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
Scammed by Mercedes

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how Mercedes scammed me out of the Active Ventilated Seats on my 2003 CL55. Does anyone know what this Accessory Code listed on my window sticker means:

103 DCAG Pre-Series Factory Code

I bought the car in NJ and I'm in CA so I had to rely on the sticker the dealer faxed me. They scammed me by faxing me the window sticker from another car (which I didn't catch at the time) that didn't have this code on it and that listed the Active Ventilated Seats. It was a computer printout of the sticker since they claimed that the prep guys had lost the original sticker. But when I requested a copy of the sticker for my VIN number it had this code and it doesn't list the Ventilated Seats either. Maybe this code means that there were some early cars that were configured differently. Does anyone know?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
Old 05-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Almost a Member!

CL65 2005
Standard feature

According to the "Standard" features...
Active Ventilated front seats with 8 internal cooling fans plus heating feature.
I'd call the Mercedes Customer Help and exp[lain that you CL is missing a Standard Feature.

Check the Mercedes web site for confirmation as to the standard lsit of interior features
Old 05-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Hey Mark, I was just thinking about you and your situation the other day. Was wondering what came of it.

Glad to see you back.

103 DCAG Pre-Series Factory Code is a new one to me . Never have seen that. I bet MBUSA will know what it is all about.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:08 PM

2003 CL55
Well, the saga continues. Mercedes has been utterly uncooperative with regard to the seats. It's really amazing. They won't address the issue at all. It went all the way up to the regional manager and he just blew it off and suggested that I just forget it. They agreed to replace the wheels but never did. After ten different interactions with customer service - letters, calls and promises - my law firm is filing a complaint this week. We'll see what happens now.

Mark
Old 05-28-2003, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
very surprising. I would have assumed they would at least give you some answers. Keep us updated.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:19 PM

E55
Sorry to hear about your problem. Have you tried complaining to MB in Germany?

If I were in your shoes I would want the ventilated seats just for bragging rights. That said, I have them in my CL and am less than impressed - hard to tell they are doing anything even on the highest setting.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Thumbs down Prep guys rarely "lose" window stickers...

Especially with a car like a CL5. They know owners want to keep them. My window sticker is in perfect condition, so they must be easy enough to remove without damaging them.

Best regards,
Matt
Old 06-01-2003, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It Varies
I agree with Corgiman.

The ventilated seats are BS. The ONLY thing I like about them are the little blue lights that light up when they are on. Besides that, they are useless. Corgiman is right on when he says you dont feel anything at all, even on the highest setting. I understand your concern, and if I was in your shoes I would take it up to the highest power at Mercedes Benz. Just keep in mind when it does get resolved (which it will if you keep at it ), that you will be able to tell your friends that you have fans in your seats and you get 3 really cool blue LED lights, but if you want to cool your back while your sitting, I suggest an ice pack.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
You really don't feel the fans in the seat, but on a hot day I definitely can tell the difference when using them vs not using them. They really do work to keep your back from heating up and sweating.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
I agree 100% with awiner, you cannot feel the air flow from the fans, but when you have a dark interior and it has been out in the sun all day, you will be glad you have them. They really come in handy on long trips, they will keep your back and seat from sweating!! Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Prep guys rarely "lose" window stickers...

Originally posted by AMG///Merc
Especially with a car like a CL5. They know owners want to keep them. My window sticker is in perfect condition, so they must be easy enough to remove without damaging them.

Best regards,
Matt
Ha! Chambers motorcars in boston knows how to lose them. Lost ours on the C320. Nice going guys .
Old 06-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 55 AMG, Magma Red, Charcoal Red
Ouch!

Hey, I have to admit, that every person is amazed when I tell them about the Cooling seats. I got Aston Martin to put heating seats in my car for special because they help!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Wonder if sequencesf ever got this issue resolved.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I guess hes not coming back, its been almost a year since his last post
Old 03-08-2004, 11:11 AM

2003 CL55
Litigation Underway

Hi guys. As it turns out, the saga with Mercedes got even more interesting. I finally figured out what they were doing. The car I saw advertised and that I agreed to buy was a production model 2003 CL55. I was working with a dealer in NJ so I couldn't go see the car, but Ray Catena is the largest dealer in NJ so I wasn't too worried. So I signed the purchase agreement and paid for the car.

That's when they made the switch. The shipped me a "pre-series" car. The VIN was even different that the one on the purchase agreement. The pre-series cars are prototypes and are often different than production cars. Mercedes does sell their pre-series cars, but requires that the dealer disclose it. And it is printed on the window sticker. And I would have seen it except that they faxed me the sticker from the car I thought I was buying. Their motive was to move a pre-series car for full sticker and figured I’d never notice the switch.

So in the end I figured it out and a lawsuit is pending as we speak. They have not offered to settle yet, but since they documented their own fraud I'm not sure that they will have much choice, but we'll see. Of course, the demand is for a new production model CL55. I’ll keep you posted.

Mark
Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 PM

2003 CL55
Mark
Why did MBUSA allow this to go to litigation? I would have expected them to gladly replace the car with a production model to your specs when the problem was "discovered." I am not a lawyer, but it seems blindingly clear that they willfully substituted the car they delivered for the one that you purchased. Shouldn't they be concerned about damages in such a case? Too bad that you had to go through such a mess.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:19 PM

2003 CL55
Mercedes corporate has structured their company in such a way as to protect them from the actions of the dealerships. Mercedes corporate said that it's between me and the dealer and that they have no obligation to do anything. They did offer to correct the cosmetic differences in the car (wheels, floor mats et.), but were unwilling to do anything more. Needless to say Mercedes and the dealership are both named in the suit.

Mark
Old 03-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

holy crap you came back. Anyways, looks like your going to win this case
Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
Rae Catena's dealship is terrible in my opinion. You are not the first person I have heard this has happened to.

I buy all my cars from Benzel Busch. The owner is a good friend and they have always done me right. If you need any help at Benzel, PM me and I will get you info.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2004, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
I hope the lawsuit goes well and you get a new CL55. I can'tbelieve they'd do something like that.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
sequencesf,

I have to pose something to you, but I am sure your lawyer has already explored this avenue. If the contracts and/or purchase agreement have a VIN that does not match the number on the car, then you have never legally taken delivery of that car. I know it is a law in CA that the VIN on the contracts (Finance, Lease or Cash) must match the one on the car you are taking delivery of. It sounds to me like you should have been able to argue the fact that you have never purchased the car you are driving, so in that case, Ray Cantena must take the car back! Now, maybe I have misread your post, but I think this is what happened in your explaination.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
damn i can't believe a dealership would try something like that. what a cheap shot. Needless to say, im sure you are going to win. But i hear that big companies such as mercedes, and all the other big coporations that they let their law suits go on for as long as possible and they settle at the very last moment in hope that you will give up. I know you will win and do make sure to post some pics of your new CL with the ventilated seats when you get it.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:01 PM

2003 CL55
I don't have the documents from my lawyer here, but as I remember, my firm identified five different laws that they violated during the transaction. And two of the laws provide for punitive damages so if they really drag it on, they could get stuck paying much more than the value of the vehicle. And because I took possession here in California, the dealer will have to defend the case here rather than in New Jersey.

As for whether I technically took delivery or not because the VIN is different I don't know for sure. But I do know that the car that matches the VIN on my purchase agreement was sold to someone in New York and was sold by the same dealer. But that's about all I know at this point.

I'm sort of interested in seeing it go to court now just because it's become so absurd that they've let it go this far. It's not likely that I'll give up because I've already racked up some decent bills with my law firm and that would just add insult to injury if I droppped it now. Besides they are the ones who documented their own fraud on paper. It's not like it's a real challenge to prove what they did.

Thanks for your support.

Mark
Old 03-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

sounds like everything is going great, if thats the way to put it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:44 PM

98 E320
Let's turn up the heat.

I'm a business writer at a major NJ daily newspaper.
If you want, send me a PM and we'll talk. Maybe I can write a story about your difficulties.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scammed by Mercedes