A220 USA Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350, E300D
A220 USA Problems

Purchased a A220 (USA California) two weeks ago from Dealer #1. After 2 days, the car wouldn't start and had to be towed to Dealer #2 who claimed the PDI inspection was not performed properly by Dealer #1. After about a week in the shop, the car was taken on a road trip today. For the second time the car wouldn't start and is being towed again to Dealer #2. Is anyone having similar problems with the USA A220?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 08:59 AM

2019 A250 4matic
I don't if it will help but on mine (A250 4matic) the fuse box #A177-540-40-07 was replaced after having low battery and 4matic errors. But I never had a no start.

Luc
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM

E350, E300D
The car has keyless go. When you push the start button, dash board lights come on but the car doesn't start. No clicking sounds - nothing. One of the suggestions the dealer had when I called during the no-start condition was to place the key fob in the right-side cup holder that has a set of keys imprinted at the base of the cup holder - but that didn't work.

Have there been issues with the electronic "gear shift selector module" (or whatever it is called) on the 7 speed transmissions with the column mounted gear shift on any of the Mercedes lines which might explain a no-start condition? When the car failed to start, the white box that usually appears around the P R N D on the LCD dashboard instrument panel disappears. You can't tell what gear is selected. I tried pushing the car and it it didn't roll so I assume I was in PARK.

There were error messages on the LCD instrument panel saying to close the door - the transmission is not in park - put the car in park to start. But moving the column shifter did nothing.

Apparently a bunch of codes were tripped when the car was towed to the dealer, but I don't think the dealer has a clue.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA
thanks for the info, if you guy in USA, could you please also complain this to Benz USA, and for people in Canada, please do the same, they will at least noticed, and try to get problem fix
Old 03-31-2019, 02:15 PM

GLA
Originally Posted by oups59
I don't if it will help but on mine (A250 4matic) the fuse box #A177-540-40-07 was replaced after having low battery and 4matic errors. But I never had a no start.

Luc
you was made from Germany, in US, they get car from Mexico i think, they might have different source of problem.

but with your problem, make sure send email to Benz Canada, so that they know, they can fix it
Old 04-07-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by oups59

Luc
Interesting. My A220 lasted two days. 4matic inoperative errors.
They claim it's the differential wiring harness!! Everything is on backorder. Been waiting a week and will probably wait a lot longer...

Last edited by Givmeabrek; 04-07-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 AM

GLA
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
Interesting. My A220 lasted two days. 4matic inoperative errors.
They claim it's the differential wiring harness!! Everything is on backorder. Been waiting a week and will probably wait a lot longer...
please report this to MB USA, let them know the problem,
Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
Now notified. Thanks for the idea.

Update: Harness had an intermittent short and new harness was ordered. Took two weeks to arrive. All is well now! Loving it!

Last edited by Givmeabrek; 04-22-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-29-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A220
You should keep the record of the repair time and may claim it lemon if necessary. We just got the car and so far so good
Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A220
Originally Posted by williammajor
The car has keyless go. When you push the start button, dash board lights come on but the car doesn't start. No clicking sounds - nothing. One of the suggestions the dealer had when I called during the no-start condition was to place the key fob in the right-side cup holder that has a set of keys imprinted at the base of the cup holder - but that didn't work.

Have there been issues with the electronic "gear shift selector module" (or whatever it is called) on the 7 speed transmissions with the column mounted gear shift on any of the Mercedes lines which might explain a no-start condition? When the car failed to start, the white box that usually appears around the P R N D on the LCD dashboard instrument panel disappears. You can't tell what gear is selected. I tried pushing the car and it it didn't roll so I assume I was in PARK.

There were error messages on the LCD instrument panel saying to close the door - the transmission is not in park - put the car in park to start. But moving the column shifter did nothing.

Apparently a bunch of codes were tripped when the car was towed to the dealer, but I don't think the dealer has a clue.
did the auto parking brake get turn on automatically because the door is open and the car in drive?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:58 AM

2017 GLS550 in BLACK

Hello everyone-
I have a friend who recently purchased an A220. She claims that her LCD dashboard turned off or goes black and she cannot see things like speedometer, tachometer and other stats on the call which all projects on this LCD dashboard, can this be the short on the electrical harness that you all are discussing about? Please let me know what can possibly caused the problem. She took the vehicle back to the dealer and they claimed to have remediated the problem. She is concerned that this car is a lemon.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:21 PM

2014 ML350 4M

My car suffered the exact same issue within 400 miles. Had to tow to dealer and replaced the transmission selector module that failed to send current gear position to ECU.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:12 PM

A 220
I have been driving my 2021 A220 for about 3 month and noticed 2 issues so far. First, the time on the dashboard will arbitrarily be incorrect. This happens on start up and will be off by about 20 minutes. It usually corrects itself after the car is turned off and then turned on again after at least 15 minutes. Clock is set to automatic setting. Most of the time the time is right, but probably 1-2 times/week it will be off. Second, the I cannot get any heat to come out of the rear vents. When i put the heat on, the front vents work fine sending out air at the right temp but the back seat only gets ice cold air. I haven't brought it in yet, but will be soon. Just wondering if anyone else has seen either of these.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 352 Likes on 292 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by cshack45
I have been driving my 2021 A220 for about 3 month and noticed 2 issues so far. First, the time on the dashboard will arbitrarily be incorrect. This happens on start up and will be off by about 20 minutes. It usually corrects itself after the car is turned off and then turned on again after at least 15 minutes. Clock is set to automatic setting. Most of the time the time is right, but probably 1-2 times/week it will be off. Second, the I cannot get any heat to come out of the rear vents. When i put the heat on, the front vents work fine sending out air at the right temp but the back seat only gets ice cold air. I haven't brought it in yet, but will be soon. Just wondering if anyone else has seen either of these.
Since your car is under warranty, it's best to take it back to the dealer as soon as you can to have these issues addressed.