Mercedes Driving Experience - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Mercedes Driving Experience - Need Help

Writing on design and driving experience for the A220. One element of the driving experience I need help with, something that I came across in forums, someone described it almost perfectly.

When you get into the A220 there is a feeling of security, sensation of control over road/environment, and quiet comfort. I don't know how to describe it other than to say when feeling sick and having to rush out for medicine somewhere in the middle of the night, I get this warm/wooly sensation in the A220. Left my couch and robe behind yet still have that protected feeling. Or another way. Long drive in windy, wet, nighttime conditions. Mastery over road, excellent visibility, response time, road handling, no longer victim cowering behind wheel.

Haven't had this with other cars be it Volvo (older model) or more recent Toyota's or Mazda 3 (newest). It's something unique to Mercedes that every owner can relate to, how it calms you, makes the ride enjoyable and free spirited. Lightness of being.

Ok, any help appreciated. Could swear there was a term coined for this.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MB W177 A250 4Matic
For me fun with ride/enjoy is not his good side, i can tell that for my opinion and experience from other cars, i dont feel safe while driving through corners little fast than the other drivers or sign roads on curves, but im heavily requirement for car and have high expectations to the car... MB A class want to be seen good for young ppl but it still is MB and his suspension/chassis/drivetrain is too comfy, too soft, "grandpa car".
The rest, quiet is on medium side ( not best in its compact class ), comfort is his + if someone search comfy car, looks of interior is awesome which makes driver feeling better for example in the night by Ambient Light but not only MB it got of course
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
I wish I had that feeling. Instead it's nothing but frustration, poor performance, worst driving experience I have ever had
Old 04-25-2020, 03:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MB W177 A250 4Matic
@Deriggs007
What other car You had in mind before buying MB? I wanted A35/S3/new M135i ( but i though those cars would be too hard to regular driving, but now i regret this decision, on BMW didnt look for me good+his digital screen doesnt look good too, S3 was outdated inside and outside ), A3 ( 2.0 190HP S Line ). What I was searching was 4x4 only and at least 200HP
Old 04-25-2020, 03:09 AM

Buying One
Originally Posted by Vampire1984PL
For me fun with ride/enjoy is not his good side, i can tell that for my opinion and experience from other cars, i dont feel safe while driving through corners little fast than the other drivers or sign roads on curves, but im heavily requirement for car and have high expectations to the car... MB A class want to be seen good for young ppl but it still is MB and his suspension/chassis/drivetrain is too comfy, too soft, "grandpa car".
The rest, quiet is on medium side ( not best in its compact class ), comfort is his + if someone search comfy car, looks of interior is awesome which makes driver feeling better for example in the night by Ambient Light but not only MB it got of course
It goes beyond comfort, it's the use of Bauhaus inspired design (with few exceptions) such that when driving you "feel" taken care of, everything is in the right place, within arms reach, materials/controls, etc. Complete package. This leads to a tranquil state of mind, where a lot of the stresses commonly associated with driving are dissipated. The technical performance shortcomings you refer to, sure, you can always go a level up until you're at F1 quality of feedback. Having been a Toyota/Mazda and American car kind of driver for the most part, this generation of Mercedes is a real leap forward. Not so in a 2015 C class for instance.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:10 AM

Buying One
Butting in here but I think he other choice was the new Mazda 3. It's a fantastic deal price wise though not the full Mercedes experience which he paid dearly for.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:26 AM

A220
Well, I was looking at Mazda’s due to the price vs performance. I actually got a ram 1500 2019 Laramie that I traded in for the mercedes. Between my wife and I, we didn’t want to afford close to $100,000 in car payments, so I got a cheaper car which boosted her to get her “dream car” a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL.

my trucks build quality is significantly better than the A class and even better than the new GLE class. What it lacked is infotainment. Me as a techy, that’s what attracted me to this brand over the others.

if I could go back and know I was moving to California for work, I would either never have traded my truck or I would have traded it for a Tesla model 3.

more than likely tesla the model 3 since California fuel costs is the highest in the nation, it would have been saving me quite a bit over the time frame while still giving me the tech I wanted.

I will say that on the highway, I enjoyed my A class very much. You did feel one with the road and how it handled and I loved the interior design they are going for and the infotainment. But at the end of the day, I could have lost my children within the first 2 weeks of ownership due to an exploding sunroof.

the jerkiness or the transmission on stops drives me insane, it just isn’t responsive and it doesn’t want to go anywhere.

After the buyback, I’m either going for a tesla or another Jeep, like a gladiator. After taking the doors and top off of the Jeep in good weather, it’s actually very fun.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:15 AM

Buying One
You cursed me, right after I posted my passenger side airbag light came on (indicating that it will not deploy). Hopefully just a fuse.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:25 AM

A220
Originally Posted by Kenyon1976
You cursed me, right after I posted my passenger side airbag light came on (indicating that it will not deploy). Hopefully just a fuse.
Willing to bet it's the seatbelt, did it to both my drivers/passengers side.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:48 PM

Buying One
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
Willing to bet it's the seatbelt, did it to both my drivers/passengers side.
Ohh. Hmm. So what then click/in out fiddling might resolve? Good to know, I'll try. I hate warning lights, glad our bodies aren't (yet) equipped with them.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:28 AM

A220
Originally Posted by Kenyon1976
Ohh. Hmm. So what then click/in out fiddling might resolve? Good to know, I'll try. I hate warning lights, glad our bodies aren't (yet) equipped with them.
No, it's a sensor that is out of range/voltage and will require them to do some work to each one of them. I suggest telling them to do both, lie if you must - tell them it does it on both drivers/passengers side occassionally.