CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cold Air Induction Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Cold Air Induction Question

The installation of the Kleemann S/C setup on my CLK 430 required the removal of the factory airbox (so that we're all speaking the same language - by that I mean the housing which holds the air filter at the front passenger's side of the engine compartment) and its replacement with the airbox from another model benz (can't remember model number). I believe that the switch was required in order to clear a path for the water hoses that connect the supercharger to the intercooler. These hoses run down from the S/C unit through a space directly in front of the airbox and into the front radiator area to the intercooler. I think this space was originally occupied by a hose or assembly drawing denser cold air from outside of the engine compartment into the airbox. The forward facing portion of the airbox on my car has a square inlet hole in it that I can tell used to have some sort of air inlet hose or assembly connected to it. That hole is where my air intake occurs. I have never seen what a normal airbox looks like on an unmodified CLK 430 but I am interested in finding out where the hose that I imagine was connected to my original airbox led to or drew air from. Right now, my intake air comes from the engine compartment only and I'd like to change that. Colder = denser - denser = power.

Do any of you have a pic that shows the factory airbox / air draw setup? Or can you describe what the setup looks like?

I am also interested in finding out whether any of you that may have the Kleemann S/C setup on a CLK 430 have devised a mod to draw cold air to the front of the airbox without interfering with the path of the intercooler hoses.

Thank's for your input.

Last edited by lowphat; 03-08-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK430
where in nova are you? if you want, you can stop by my gas station if you feel like poking under my 430's hood. I wouldn't mind seeing the kleeman either
Old 03-09-2005, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am in Fairfax - where is your station?

PM me w/details.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by lowphat
The installation of the Kleemann S/C setup on my CLK 430 required the removal of the factory airbox (so that we're all speaking the same language - by that I mean the housing which holds the air filter at the front passenger's side of the engine compartment) and its replacement with the airbox from another model benz (can't remember model number). I believe that the switch was required in order to clear a path for the water hoses that connect the supercharger to the intercooler. These hoses run down from the S/C unit through a space directly in front of the airbox and into the front radiator area to the intercooler. I think this space was originally occupied by a hose or assembly drawing denser cold air from outside of the engine compartment into the airbox. The forward facing portion of the airbox on my car has a square inlet hole in it that I can tell used to have some sort of air inlet hose or assembly connected to it. That hole is where my air intake occurs. I have never seen what a normal airbox looks like on an unmodified CLK 430 but I am interested in finding out where the hose that I imagine was connected to my original airbox led to or drew air from. Right now, my intake air comes from the engine compartment only and I'd like to change that. Colder = denser - denser = power.

Do any of you have a pic that shows the factory airbox / air draw setup? Or can you describe what the setup looks like?

I am also interested in finding out whether any of you that may have the Kleemann S/C setup on a CLK 430 have devised a mod to draw cold air to the front of the airbox without interfering with the path of the intercooler hoses.

Thank's for your input.
The OE air box was removed becuase the hood wont close if it were left on. The airbox assembly in your car is for a CLK 320- which is why it fits perfectly in the engine bay. The front of the airbox is opened up to accomodate the 4.3 liter + added SC volume = no pressure drop in the air box. The OE 6 cylinder box used an intake pipe connected to ONE of the openings above the radiator. If you use this assembly there will be a pumping restriction in the air box = lower power. While the car is dynamic there is positive air flow behind the headlight, you will not see any power increase by moving the inlet of the air box.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info Brandon
Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Here ya go. As you can see, it sits atop the engine (bad design IMO becasue the engine heats up the intake houiing significantly thus warming up the intake air temps). The plastic tubes (Hose p# 113-090-03-82 $169.85) route to the front and are connected to the holes you see in the pic near the headlight.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by BrandonG
The OE air box was removed becuase the hood wont close if it were left on. The airbox assembly in your car is for a CLK 320- which is why it fits perfectly in the engine bay. The front of the airbox is opened up to accomodate the 4.3 liter + added SC volume = no pressure drop in the air box. The OE 6 cylinder box used an intake pipe connected to ONE of the openings above the radiator. If you use this assembly there will be a pumping restriction in the air box = lower power. While the car is dynamic there is positive air flow behind the headlight, you will not see any power increase by moving the inlet of the air box.
What do you mean by "pumping restriction?"

Also, LowPhat, do you have pics of your current intake set-up?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by str8ridin
What do you mean by "pumping restriction?"

Also, LowPhat, do you have pics of your current intake set-up?
From the email notification:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
What do you mean by "pumping restriction?" LowPhat's set-up will have this restriction if he connects it, but regular 320's don't?
Yes- a 320 is a NA car = 3.2 liters per rev

430 with SC = effective 6.5 liters per rev at full boost

An airbox may show no pressure drop (vacuum = pumping restriction) at X volume but it will develop a PD if you DOUBLE the flow.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by BrandonG
From the email notification:

Yes- a 320 is a NA car = 3.2 liters per rev

430 with SC = effective 6.5 liters per rev at full boost

An airbox may show no pressure drop (vacuum = pumping restriction) at X volume but it will develop a PD if you DOUBLE the flow.
I see. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Lowphat: Can you pls post some pics of your airbox
Old 03-27-2005, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are pics of my airbox
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Induction Question-air-box-2.jpg   Cold Air Induction Question-air-box-1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Do you have any more pics of your entire car? I've seen bits and pieces here and there...and so far, you have been true to your name....Low and Phat!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Lowphat...Just received your PM, thanks buddy! Your Kleemann setup looks top-notch I echo the above request, more pics of your hot ride pls.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I've seen his car a couple of times at the meets and its one of the hottest clk's I have ever seen. You all wont be dissappointed by the pics.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
............what was the final answer on this thread?

..........Not perfectly happy with the E320 airbox that Kleemann uses for the W208 and W209 cars with their s/c's. Is this the best option performance wise?

.........As Brandon said, I dynoed my car with a GruppeM air intake and found a profound 60rwHP decrease. Removed the intake and re-dynoed and got back the 60rwHP. So, a mmore fancy intake does not mean more power.

.........still it allowed me to see what a profound difference intakes can make. Looking at the intake at the bottom of the rigged up E320 intake, I have noticed the cut out is not even in line with the outside air vent. I am left wondering if there isn't a better way that could generate even more power. Does anyone with a Kleemann s/c have any experience with different intakes?

Ted