CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

quieter window seals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 clk 320
quieter window seals

So, I'm trying to make my ride sound as quiet as possible, I've added 2 bulk packs of dynamat to the car double dynamatting some places, and it is very quiet. Now I'm turning my attention to the windows! as this is the only place i hear sound from. does anyone know of a high quality rubber(?) seal that i can use around the sunroof (especially) and the doors/windows?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 R230 SL55 / 94 W124 E500
where did you exactaly add the DYNAMAT to the car ? and how was the resuilt? is the really a big diffrience?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM

2000 clk 320
dynamat

i added dynamat to every metal surface, doors, roof, floor, firewall, trunk, the metal on the rear seats. It has made a great difference in sound just about zero noise except the sound of wind running over my windows. especially the sunroof. I hope there is some sort of higher quality rubber that i can replace the factory seals with to reduce the noise even further. Hopefully i'll be able to make my clk sound as quiet as the maybach
Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 PM

03 R230 SL55 / 94 W124 E500
Did you use the Dynamat Xtreme? or Dynamat orginal? How many pieces of Dynamat did you use?
How much did that cost ya?
Did you remove all the interior of the car?
how did you reach the firewall area? did you remove the dashboard? sorry for all that quiestions but i really wanna reduce all the road noises in my car ? I also need to reduce the windows noise. Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM

2000 CLK 430
Maybe this could help

the rubber seal is hollow... if you follow the rubber down along the side of the door you will see that you could actually remove the piece holding it in place. if you then proceed to look around you will see a hole which you could easily stuff some kind of filler into the rubber and this should help to create a tighter seal. Let me know if you take any action on this and what kind of filler you might end up using.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 PM

2000 clk 320
dynamat

i used 2 bulk packs of the dynamat Xtreme each pack contains 9 18" x 32" pieces, I had it installed at a car stereo shop so i dont know how they removed everything but it took an entire day. i think it cost about 350$ total.

I dont know about filling the interior of the seal with somthing wnycec i think it's important that it is flexable and can expand with temp changes. For my old mercury mystique i had water leaking problems with the origional seals and had found some 'high performance' seals that actually really made the ride quieter which is what made me think that maybe a company had made some better ones for mercedes, especially due to some of the problems with it fitting well around the window.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 AM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by signal9
I dont know about filling the interior of the seal with somthing wnycec i think it's important that it is flexable and can expand with temp changes. For my old mercury mystique i had water leaking problems with the origional seals and had found some 'high performance' seals that actually really made the ride quieter which is what made me think that maybe a company had made some better ones for mercedes, especially due to some of the problems with it fitting well around the window.

please post if you find such a seal... Good Luck
Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
My window seals catch my door as it closes on the passenger side. It either bends the window so it is slightly open, and i have to open and close it to make it fit, or it half closes and you have to slam it shut. Really annoying. Let me know if you find good seals or any mods. Im getting tired of having that door not shut.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:27 PM

1999 CLK430
tell you what i did was took out everthing but my steering wheel, I mean everything and dynomated with edead, which is way cheaper and then painted liquid edead over the matted areas. Then I put insulation in the cracks and put acoustic foam over the dynomat. The dynomat only gets rid of the rattles and low end noises, the acoustic foam gets rid of the wind noises and tire noises. I got my foam from the foam factory.com Now you can hear a pin drop at 100mph
Old 03-14-2006, 05:44 PM

2000 clk 320
foam!

great, acoustic foam sounds like the next thing on my list, but dont you still hear noise from where the rubber seal comes in contact with the window? some days i notice a few mm gap which makes some decent noise at highway speeds and its right behind my ear! i just roll the window up and down and it goes away but that is still kind of annoying.

root hammer i didnt understand if you had done anything around the window seal? also what thickness foam did you use for the floor/roof? and what thickness for the doors? do you know how the foam factory product compairs to dynamats foam product (which i didnt know until now that they made! wish i would have done this all at the same time as my other dynamat install)?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
How much weight does all that add? its going to slow you down.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 PM

1999 CLK430
Originally Posted by signal9
great, acoustic foam sounds like the next thing on my list, but dont you still hear noise from where the rubber seal comes in contact with the window? some days i notice a few mm gap which makes some decent noise at highway speeds and its right behind my ear! i just roll the window up and down and it goes away but that is still kind of annoying.

root hammer i didnt understand if you had done anything around the window seal? also what thickness foam did you use for the floor/roof? and what thickness for the doors? do you know how the foam factory product compairs to dynamats foam product (which i didnt know until now that they made! wish i would have done this all at the same time as my other dynamat install)?

well, I just put it everywhere I could, some is better than none. First off you cannot sound proof a car, but you can get rid of the volume of the noises. I used other things besides what I said earlier, but the truth is that anything besides air will kill sound. I put home carpet padding where ever I could stuff it and the recycled insultation paper in the cracks behind where the pillars are and that stuff is like $8 for a huge bag from home depot.

As far as I'm concerned the dynomat is ok but the Foam is what they use in professional recording studios, so that is what I would go with. I went with the high quality neoprieme (spelling?) foam. I got the 1 inch and some 1/2 inch. I would get just 1/2 next time, but it just depend where you are putting it. And you don't have to cover every square inch, just do as much as you feel like and where you think most of the noise is coming from. So just try some out and in different places untill your happy. Hope that helps and sorry for the rambling and bad grammer.