CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question about the Pixels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the Pixels

The area where the time is and the spot where it shows which gear you're on. The pixels are disappearing. It's very irritating looking at that.

Did anybody experience this problem, and if so, how much did it cost to get it fixed?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Its a common problem and your instrument cluster needs to be replaced. Not sure how much it costs though.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:26 PM

I have the same exact problem as you and i just read this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/146322-2001-clk-fuel-gage-empty.html notice that rsmcmahon says "It is VERY nice to have both the LCD’s on for temperature gauge and Clock working again for only $250. I now have a fully functional instrument cluster!"

He says he contacted:

BBA Remanufacturing Inc.
6 McCabe Street
South Darmouth, MA 02748
(866) 573-2740
www.bba-reman.com

I dont think $250 is that much, a good deal IMO.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:14 PM

CLK, ML320, 400E, 400SE
I'm the one who had my instrument cluster repaired by BBA Remanufacturing Inc. Yes, the company charges $250 for the repair, plus return shipping.

Removing the cluster wasn't a difficult task either. I have the MB cluster puller hooks, and my cluster slipped out without much force. I've seen other posts where DIY'er have fabricated their own instrument cluster pullers. There are two wiring harnesses connected to the rear of the cluster on the right and left sides towards the rear and top of the cluster. You press the top of the wiring connector to release the slide lever then gentlhy pull the harness from the cluster. Rember to move the steering wheel all the way forward. I pulled the cluster towards the steering wheel, removed the cluster wiring harness, then slid the cluster to the right to completely remove the unit.

I got a box the size of a "copeir paper box" for shipping. I used small size bubble rap to cover the cluster and filled the box with foam peanuts.

I watched the UPS tracking to confirm the time BBA received the instrument cluster. BBA got the cluster in the morning, called me in the afternoon for payment information and had it back at the UPS off by the end of the day. I chose 2nd day for the return shipping.

I did drive my CLK a few short trips without the cluster. It was strange, the aux coolant fans would come on without the cluster and the radio would not turn off when I turned the key off. Everything was back to normal after plugging the cluster back into the two wiring harnesses.

It's been almost a week now and everything is good.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks!

I'll def. call them up and ship them my cluster. Taking out the cluster is not a big deal.

But before I pay money for this, I have to take care of more important things with my car, my rear tires are now bald, and I need to change my tires urgently. Then I have a Check Engine sign because my gas cap was broken, so I changed it. I probably need to reset that sign. THEN I'll take care of the cluster situation, since it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 PM

2001 E55 AMG & 2004 C230 Kompressor
Warranty?

What kind of warranty do they offer on the repair? a year? a month?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by rsnpride
Thanks!

I'll def. call them up and ship them my cluster. Taking out the cluster is not a big deal.

But before I pay money for this, I have to take care of more important things with my car, my rear tires are now bald, and I need to change my tires urgently. Then I have a Check Engine sign because my gas cap was broken, so I changed it. I probably need to reset that sign. THEN I'll take care of the cluster situation, since it doesn't bother me too much.
You might want to double check before taking out your cluster. lots of locals around SoCal removed their clusters to have them shipped out thinking that they'll still be able to drive their cars without a cluster in place. Ain't happenin'. Just givin' you a heads up just in case you plan to use the car without it. LoL.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Theres a DIY floating around somewhere on this site (I think the W210 page maybe) that shows a no cost repair that often fixes the pixels. Apparently the ribbon cable comes unglued or loose and causes the pixels to short out. Installing a small wedge to press the ribbon cable tight often fixes the problem. Might want to search around a bit before sending in your cluster.

Found it

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=pixels

Theres also more info on benzworld