CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Should I rip out BOSE or what? I'm sick of this crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Should I rip out BOSE or what? I'm sick of this crap

I can't put in an aftermarket headunit without it sounding like crap. I can't make the IPOD work with it and not sound like crap (fm transmitter, works terrible).

I have an aftermarket deck from another car, I figure a set of Coaxials even $60 ones all around and an average amp for $150 will sound better and allow me to play MP3s and such.

I had the headunit installed with BOSE and the gain on the BOSE amp is so high that there was major distortion.

Anyone coping with BLOSE, i mean BOSE?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
i stil have my stock bose components coupled with my pioneer avic D3 headunit and 2 rockford T1 subs....the components sound fine usually unless i have the highs up really high and lows really low...other than that..its hard to detect the distortion...try messin wit ur headunits equalizer...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Is it possible to turn our bose amps up at all? ie gain control. I like loud music and the bose aint really doin it for me.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM

CLS63 AMG S
hmm i dunno i have my bose stuff in and installed an aftermarket hd.....no problems maybe you should check all wiring stuff like that and play with the eq controls on it
Old 08-25-2007, 03:05 PM

clk430
Does anyone know where I can get a kit for this headunit that allows me to plug the IPOD in without using the casette or FM?

I saw a link on the forums to some adaptor where it hooks up to the amp or something.. I cannot find it again.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Originally Posted by NYCLK
Does anyone know where I can get a kit for this headunit that allows me to plug the IPOD in without using the casette or FM?

I saw a link on the forums to some adaptor where it hooks up to the amp or something.. I cannot find it again.
In the glove compartment box some CLK's have a small jack that is the auxiliary in the factory radio. It uses a headphone type connection and it hooks directly to the IPOD. The sound is great!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:21 PM

clk 430 cabriolet
ipod

Although I had no problem with the sound, I had problems with the cd changer sometimes working sometimes not working....My 2001 430CLK did not come with an ipod connection, therefore I bought a denision unit which came with all the fiberoptic cables and hooked up right into the headunit...the process took 5 minutes to connect and about an hour to send the wiring to either your glove compartment or storage bin (armrest)--I preferred the later. It works with the steering controls and I have no complaints at all. Highly recomend it.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM

dunno about you guys but the bose stereo i the 430 rag top suchs. that little free air 8" sub they got is even more useless. I replaced the whole unit and dropped 2 12" in the back and focal k2p's up front. gotta say though, the doors on the clk's are sealed pretty good so if you get a nice 6 1/2" woofer with high excursion you can get some nice mid bass out of the doors and have the sub crossed over even below 80hz.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM

clk430
Originally Posted by lawrdent
Although I had no problem with the sound, I had problems with the cd changer sometimes working sometimes not working....My 2001 430CLK did not come with an ipod connection, therefore I bought a denision unit which came with all the fiberoptic cables and hooked up right into the headunit...the process took 5 minutes to connect and about an hour to send the wiring to either your glove compartment or storage bin (armrest)--I preferred the later. It works with the steering controls and I have no complaints at all. Highly recomend it.
Can you elaborate on this Denision unit? Where did you get it, how much and does the quality suffer AT ALL?

My current connection is through the FM which is horrific.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM

clk430
Originally Posted by jalberto
In the glove compartment box some CLK's have a small jack that is the auxiliary in the factory radio. It uses a headphone type connection and it hooks directly to the IPOD. The sound is great!

Is it behind the glove box? Does anything have to be removed? I'm going to look for it.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by NYCLK
Is it behind the glove box? Does anything have to be removed? I'm going to look for it.
If you don't have COMAND, then the input jack is not there.