CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to change the HALO PROJECTOR light's direction ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
Question How to change the HALO PROJECTOR light's direction ?

Hey fellaz, for those of you who have the HALO PROJECTORS, how do you change the direction of where the light is pointing at?

my left headlamp points a little bit to the right. The right side headlamp points up to the left. LoL

How do you adjust the direction? Do i just turn the "beer cap" type of knob?

i've tried that, but it's really difficult.

let me know. thanks.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55 AMG
A hammer?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Originally Posted by Boosted9603
A hammer?
HaHa... LMAO

Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy emoticons
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM

1999 CLK 430
Originally Posted by babyboigsxr
Hey fellaz, for those of you who have the HALO PROJECTORS, how do you change the direction of where the light is pointing at?

my left headlamp points a little bit to the right. The right side headlamp points up to the left. LoL

How do you adjust the direction? Do i just turn the "beer cap" type of knob?

i've tried that, but it's really difficult.

let me know. thanks.
The "bottle cap" knob in the center of the assembly controls the up/down direction. NOTE: Be careful of the height of your light beams because after I installed the assembly, the projectors were pointed way too high.

In order to point the projector left/right you need to adjust the knob near outside edge of the projector assembly. The driver side assembly is a little difficult to get to for adjustments. I would try using a philips head screw driver because there is a philips screw in the middle of the "bottle cap" knob. I started to do this but the knob did not twist well and ended up stripping the outside of the screw head. You can also use a short screw driver and try ratcheting the top of the knob in the direction you want to turn it. It's painfully slow, but you should see the beam turning.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM

1999 CLK 430
I adjusted the direction of my driver-side projector when I installed them and successfully pointed them inward enough so that I'm not blinding oncoming traffic. Last night I tried to adjust the passenger-side projector's direction and the light's vertex wouldn't move to the left or right. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I feel like the passenger-side is lighting up street signs on the right side of the road much more than it should.

It also appears that there isn't a focused beam projecting out of the passenger-side assembly. The driver-side has a nice bright spot, but the passenger-side doesn't have that. I'm going to install an HID kit this weekend and check if the bulb is seated properly in the passenger-side assembly.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

Originally Posted by BrentsBenz
I adjusted the direction of my driver-side projector when I installed them and successfully pointed them inward enough so that I'm not blinding oncoming traffic. Last night I tried to adjust the passenger-side projector's direction and the light's vertex wouldn't move to the left or right. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I feel like the passenger-side is lighting up street signs on the right side of the road much more than it should.

It also appears that there isn't a focused beam projecting out of the passenger-side assembly. The driver-side has a nice bright spot, but the passenger-side doesn't have that. I'm going to install an HID kit this weekend and check if the bulb is seated properly in the passenger-side assembly.

Yeah bro. I'm going through with the same thing. I was able to adjust and finally straighten out the driver side. Let us know how the passenger side works for you after you install your HIDs. What bulb size are you gonna be using?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 PM

1999 CLK 430
Yeah bro. I'm going through with the same thing. I was able to adjust and finally straighten out the driver side. Let us know how the passenger side works for you after you install your HIDs. What bulb size are you gonna be using?

Thanks.
I bought an HID kit with H7 bulbs. It should be a simple plug-and-play.

But then again, this halo projector assembly was supposed to plug-and-play... I ended up needing to use a thicker bolt on the side of both assemblies because the OEM bolt was too thin to catch the threaded nut that's pressed into the plastic assembly housing. But because the bolt was thicker, I then had to drill out the holes in the Mercedes to be able to push the bolt through. The other two bolts fit perfectly. Yeah, there were a few "fun" surprises during the plug-and-play installation process.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 / E500
I found a lead that is going to be ordering me 3 HID kits, yup three, and I should have my headlights and spoilers (painted) installed hopefully by end of next week or the end of the following week. I am also having my front bumper repainted due to the amount of freeway driving I do, and I am also getting a clear bra put on as well. I also put in the clear fogs over the weekend, but it's being raining must days here, we even had snow yesterday. After all that I think I might be done with mods for a few months

It should be nice a clean for the meet, whenever and where ever that happens.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought an HID kit with H7 bulbs. It should be a simple plug-and-play.

But then again, this halo projector assembly was supposed to plug-and-play... I ended up needing to use a thicker bolt on the side of both assemblies because the OEM bolt was too thin to catch the threaded nut that's pressed into the plastic assembly housing. But because the bolt was thicker, I then had to drill out the holes in the Mercedes to be able to push the bolt through. The other two bolts fit perfectly. Yeah, there were a few "fun" surprises during the plug-and-play installation process.

Hold on bro, you kind of lost me there with the "bolt on the side of both assemblies." I'm confused man.

Can you show pics or... give more examples of what you mean. Cause i'm not sure if you're referring to the actual installation of the HALO assembly. or if you're referring to the installation of the HID kit.

thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:38 PM

1999 CLK 430
Hold on bro, you kind of lost me there with the "bolt on the side of both assemblies." I'm confused man.

Can you show pics or... give more examples of what you mean. Cause i'm not sure if you're referring to the actual installation of the HALO assembly. or if you're referring to the installation of the HID kit.

thanks.
I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to describe it a bit better. I'm referring to the three points on the halo projector headlight assembly that attach it to the car. If I remember correctly, there is a bolt on the top of the assembly, a nut with a large washer on the front of the assembly (screws on to a bolt below the city light), and a third bolt on the side of the car that screws into the outside bottom of the projector assembly.

The bolt from the previous OEM halogen headlight assembly was too thin to catch on the nut that is embedded in the outside edge of the halo assembly. Luckily my buddy had some various sized bolts and found one that fit the assembly's nut. Unfortunately, because it was thicker, we had to drill out the hole in the car in order to push the bolt through and then we screwed it into the assembly.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions...
Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Hey BrentsBenz, where in Southern Cali are you located? Are you planning to go to the "EURO MEET" this weekend? It's on Sunday, March 30th. At the Irvine Spectrum, Parking Lot G.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM

1999 CLK 430
Hey BrentsBenz, where in Southern Cali are you located? Are you planning to go to the "EURO MEET" this weekend? It's on Sunday, March 30th. At the Irvine Spectrum, Parking Lot G.
Unfortunately, I didn't know about it. It sounds interesting and I'd like to check out the next meet. I've never been to a meet before, but it sounds fun.

I live in San Diego, but grew up in Tustin (not to far from Irvine). I've been to the Spectrum a few time when I was in college.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:08 PM

1999 CLK 430

Thanks.
I just installed an 4300k H7 HID xenon kit this weekend. I'm fairly certain that the halogen passenger side bulb was not seated properly. I installed the xenon bulbs and now both projectors are throwing out a nice bright focused beam.

I highly recommend an HID kit for this projector style assembly. In my opinion, the performance increase is definitely worth it and the I think the xenon bulbs are much better suited for projectors than the original halogen bulbs.

I also upgraded my city lights to the super white LED bulbs from autolumination (New SMT Tower 194 168 W5W 2825). I tried to install the SMT Tower III, but they were a hair too thick for the assembly's bulb hole. They match the xenons and the halos much better than the yellow 5W wedge bulbs. I'm getting a couple more SMT Tower I for the side markers.

FYI: I was surprised to find out that I didn't get any "bulb out" warnings from the new LED city lights. I guess they have built-in resistors and do not require load equalizers. Nice!

The only remaining thing that I might do is upgrade the fog lights to an H1 HID 4300k kit in order to get rid of the last remaining yellowish tinted light.

I'll post some night time pics of the beam pattern and the new LED bulbs once I get the sidemarker LEDs.

Last edited by BrentsBenz; 03-31-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
yes, pics!!! I'm gonna do this soon also!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
niceee...i got my 6000k kit while i was gone on vacation...thanks for the source zack lol...ill post pics when i get em put in
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Ok Im new so I missed out on the group buy. I am leaning toward the cheese grater Depos. Has anyone experienced problems with them as well?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
I just installed an 4300k H7 HID xenon kit this weekend. I'm fairly certain that the halogen passenger side bulb was not seated properly. I installed the xenon bulbs and now both projectors are throwing out a nice bright focused beam.

I highly recommend an HID kit for this projector style assembly. In my opinion, the performance increase is definitely worth it and the I think the xenon bulbs are much better suited for projectors than the original halogen bulbs.

I also upgraded my city lights to the super white LED bulbs from autolumination (New SMT Tower 194 168 W5W 2825). I tried to install the SMT Tower III, but they were a hair too thick for the assembly's bulb hole. They match the xenons and the halos much better than the yellow 5W wedge bulbs. I'm getting a couple more SMT Tower I for the side markers.

FYI: I was surprised to find out that I didn't get any "bulb out" warnings from the new LED city lights. I guess they have built-in resistors and do not require load equalizers. Nice!

The only remaining thing that I might do is upgrade the fog lights to an H1 HID 4300k kit in order to get rid of the last remaining yellowish tinted light.

I'll post some night time pics of the beam pattern and the new LED bulbs once I get the sidemarker LEDs.
do those city light LEDs match ur 4300 kit?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Yeah man, hopefully you can post pics soon. I'm anxious to get HIDs. I just hope adjusting them won't be a pain in the @$$.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM

1999 CLK 430
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
do those city light LEDs match ur 4300 kit?
The city LEDs do not match exactly. I'll confirm what others have posted about the super white LEDs - their output is a cooler white and is slightly too blue to match the bright white 4300k HID.

I could have matched the LEDs better with a high color temperature HID kit, but I wanted to maximize my light output performance (the higher the kelvin temp., the lower the light output). The 4300k HID kit actually matches the halos pretty well.

BTW: I decided to only connect the projector halos, so the city light halos are disabled. I like this look better when I just have the city lights on at twilight or on an overcast day.

I still think the bluish city light LEDs look pretty good and appear to be much brighter than the yellowish incandecent 5W wedge bulb. I'm hoping that once I get the my clear crystal lens sidemarker bulbs upgraded to the LEDs then everything will pull together well.