CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lowering the CLK: Which Shocks????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lowering the CLK: Which Shocks????

Yes, I know what you're saying, "Not this damm question again!!"

Well, I got my Eibachs in last week, but I'm undecided on which shocks to buy. I've heard everything from people using they're stock shocks for a long period of time, to the Bilstein Sports are great/suck, to Koni's are great, KYB....

Someone sell me on which one to get. Through my own searching I've found that A LOT of people with different Mercs. hate the Bilsteins. I've found that some like the Koni's & KYB's????

Any help?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
what were ppl saying about the bilsteins?

i have the bilstein sports and i dont really have ne complaints
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM

That the ride is ****ty and too stiff. How is the comfort compared to stock with you, Hersh?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by falls profet
That the ride is ****ty and too stiff. How is the comfort compared to stock with you, Hersh?
ya well i guess the ride is sh*tiER...but i mean thats wut i expected after gettin a drop
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430 Cab; 2008 GL550
I have koni and I bought them because they are adjustable. I would recommend koni.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
I have recently installed bilstein sports(autozone $80/ea) on the front of my car with stock springs. I'm waiting on the rear shocks from tirerack.com($80/ea).

The ride is more comfortable to me. I say comfortable because I feel more attached to the road instead of floating over road imperfections. I don't think I would use bilstein sports with lowering springs because I don't think they would be stiff enough with lowering springs. I would go with Koni's, they seem like the stiffest shocks on the market for CLKs.

Now, I plan on lowering the car with the thinnest pads, I need to find out if #1s all around will make the rear even or higher than the front...hopefully not lower than the front. Later, thicker rear sway bar, and maybe a front if I feel the need.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
i went with H&R sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, and dot 1 pads all around.

the ride is GREAT!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Kleemann CLK 43K
I had both the Koni and the Bilstein sport. It depends on the spring you have. Koni is only rebound adjustable, so the stiffest setting is pretty much useless with some softer lowering springs. It is best when pair with Stiff springs like H&R. Bilstein sports has higher compression damping and is better for medium to lower spring rate. I would go for Bilstein sports with the Eibach if the road quality is not particularly bad. The ride quality would somewhat between a stock mercedes and a stock bimmer.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM

1999 CLK320
Originally Posted by Pre-emptive
I had both the Koni and the Bilstein sport. It depends on the spring you have. Koni is only rebound adjustable, so the stiffest setting is pretty much useless with some softer lowering springs. It is best when pair with Stiff springs like H&R. Bilstein sports has higher compression damping and is better for medium to lower spring rate. I would go for Bilstein sports with the Eibach if the road quality is not particularly bad. The ride quality would somewhat between a stock mercedes and a stock bimmer.
Glad I went with the the bilsteins sports with higher damping.

How do you compare the lorinser springs with HRs or any other spring you tested? And where did you get them?

Are you running eibach sway bars front and rear? I plan on installing a ticker bar in the rear only before I consider a thicker front bar.

Last edited by sfclk; 04-09-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Kleemann CLK 43K
Lorinser springs is defintely softer than H&R. It didn't match well with Koni but was an excellent match with Bilstein. Enjoy the excellent steering response from the Bilstein Sports!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM

air suspension
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by sfclk
Glad Are you running eibach sway bars front and rear? I plan on installing a ticker bar in the rear only before I consider a thicker front bar.

I plan on getting sway bars shortly as well. Once again, thanks for all the imput fellas. I'll post some pics as soon as I can find someone around here to do it?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pre-emptive
That is EXACTLY what I want!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM

1999 CLK320
Originally Posted by falls profet
I plan on getting sway bars shortly as well. Once again, thanks for all the imput fellas. I'll post some pics as soon as I can find someone around here to do it?
front and rear? or are you going to get a feel for each bar first? let me know if you find adjustable bars or a brand other than HR and Eibach.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
while we are on this topic. I want to drop my car one inch back and front as well. But i want to keep my stock shocks because i love how they feel and plus our roads in nyc are not normal roads. I dont know anything about lowering so what do i need to purchase? Thank you very much in advance guys
Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sfclk
front and rear? or are you going to get a feel for each bar first? let me know if you find adjustable bars or a brand other than HR and Eibach.
Well, I'm going to do the drop first and drive it around for a few weeks to see what kind of body roll I'm going to get; especially around corners ofcourse.

After that I'll decide if I think it will be worth it to go ahead and get them. I'll probably do both front and back at the same time, but I don't know what brand I'll go with just yet. I haven't searched around at all.