CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP! BAS, ESP anti-lock brake system lights along with CHECK ENGINE light ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
HELP! BAS, ESP anti-lock brake system lights along with CHECK ENGINE light ...

i know theres a million threads about the brake lights showing up and its usually the stop lamp switch but i have mine along with a check engine light, which make me think that its not the stop lamp switch..? anyone else had the three brake lights in conjunction with the check engine light?

Check engine is on when i turn the car on and the the brake lights come up about 3 minutes after driving...

car seems okay while driving till the brake lights come on and cause very slowww acceleration - it doesnt seem to pass 2000 rpms in 1st gear. speedometer drops to 0 while driving. in park, there was no rev limiter like usual...those are the symptoms i detect when the brake lights come on....

before the brake lights come on (during those 3 or so minutes) - no detectable symptoms...

Last edited by deyainrdy4ds; 08-08-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
I'd check the left front speed sensor.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Sine you have a check engine light, why not read the code?
Is the brake light only came on after you apply the brake or it just suddently comes up? if yes, check the brake fluid.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I'd check the left front speed sensor.
how do i do that? would that set off the CEL and the brake lights though?

Originally Posted by CLKCLK
Sine you have a check engine light, why not read the code?
Is the brake light only came on after you apply the brake or it just suddently comes up? if yes, check the brake fluid.
it comes on while just driving...not when applying the brake
Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430
take it to autozone they do a diagnostic for free
Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 AM

07 E550 4-Matic
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds

Those systems are all tied together. With the engine going into a default mode, there is likely a sensor failure of some kind that does not allow the computer to know where the throttle is. The default prevents an unintended acceleration. Occassionally a low voltage situation can cause multiple failures.

The system is well beyond the understanding of most counter workers at a parts store and should be diagnosed by someone who understands the system. Otherwise, you may spend money to replace components uneccessarily.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a picture of the speed sensors -
Attached Thumbnails HELP! BAS, ESP anti-lock brake system lights along with CHECK ENGINE light ...-rentwreck.jpg  
Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by Mr Mercedes
Those systems are all tied together. With the engine going into a default mode, there is likely a sensor failure of some kind that does not allow the computer to know where the throttle is. The default prevents an unintended acceleration. Occassionally a low voltage situation can cause multiple failures.

The system is well beyond the understanding of most counter workers at a parts store and should be diagnosed by someone who understands the system. Otherwise, you may spend money to replace components uneccessarily.
so u think it could be a low charge on the battery causing ALL those lights? i can check the voltage of the battery at a local auto store right?....i checked the readout on my capacitor and its still the usual 12.7ish...

thanks, but why do u think its just the speed sensors for all those lights?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Originally Posted by Mr Mercedes
...Occassionally a low voltage situation can cause multiple failures...
Ditto. This has been reported several times on various MBs. The 1st thing I'd do is check the battery voltage output. Any AutoZone, etc. will do it for free. MarcusF is probably correct, but ruling out the battery is the easiest and least expensive thing you can do.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
battery charge seems ok....and it seems like theres too many thinngs that it could really be...so i jus dropt it off at the damn stealer...$105 for brake lights diagnostics + $105 for CEL diagnostics...wtf..$210 just to find out wuts wrong...
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 AM

CLK 320
Thread revival.... Figured why start a new thread. Ever find the issue?

I have the ESP, BAS, ABS and CEL on. My brake lights work, won't rev past 2k. Just put new TB, MAF, ALT and PCV hoses. After an ecu reset there's no CEL until I restart the car but the BAS, ESP and ABS lights are always on.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM

clk430 convertible
You are the man

Do you have any Exp with this
Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
I seem to remember, even though you have brake lights, the switch itself may be causing the problem. However, not rev over 2k throws me.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM

2001 CLK55
Sounds like a bad MAF sensor.
The engine needs a working MAF to rev above 4000 RPM. Still this should have generated a fault code.
Perhaps a new MAF will solve all the problems here.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by ljcook
Sounds like a bad MAF sensor.
The engine needs a working MAF to rev above 4000 RPM. Still this should have generated a fault code.
Perhaps a new MAF will solve all the problems here.
I just put a new Bosch unit on.

I'm trying a brake light switch and pedal position sensor.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM

2001 CLK320, 1999 C280
Had similar issue

I had similar issue two summers ago with my '01 CLK 320 coupe. Would get BAS ESP and ABS lights on start, and CEL while driving. Indicators would go wacky. Would give malfunctions similar to "Display Defective" and started going into limp home. It was all completely random. Dealer did brake light switch, then ESP board (pulled back out, no charge), the instrument cluster -- all to no effect. Over a 3 month period, they had the car about 1/2 the time to try and diagnose. With the help of a MB factory engineer in Germany (on the phone), finally decided it was the EIS which in fact was the problem part. CANBUS issues can be hard to track down! BTW, if you replace the EIS be aware that it has all the settings for everything in it -- took a couple of trips back to find things like express lift for the windows, courtesy dip when you open the door, etc. Best of luck - Steve
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by SRLyon
I had similar issue two summers ago with my '01 CLK 320 coupe. Would get BAS ESP and ABS lights on start, and CEL while driving. Indicators would go wacky. Would give malfunctions similar to "Display Defective" and started going into limp home. It was all completely random. Dealer did brake light switch, then ESP board (pulled back out, no charge), the instrument cluster -- all to no effect. Over a 3 month period, they had the car about 1/2 the time to try and diagnose. With the help of a MB factory engineer in Germany (on the phone), finally decided it was the EIS which in fact was the problem part. CANBUS issues can be hard to track down! BTW, if you replace the EIS be aware that it has all the settings for everything in it -- took a couple of trips back to find things like express lift for the windows, courtesy dip when you open the door, etc. Best of luck - Steve
If it was the eis wouldn't I have trouble with central locking or the key not being recognized?

I got the abs and bas warning to go of after an ecu reset. First startup no check engine light, won't rev and idles real choppy.
Second start I get ESP and CEL with the same symptoms, car is in limp mode too.

Very frustrating
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM

2001 CLK320, 1999 C280
No trouble with key functions

Originally Posted by JFreak
If it was the eis wouldn't I have trouble with central locking or the key not being recognized?
I didn't have any trouble with using the key, it was just messing with CANBUS signals and giving the faults and lights, limp home etc as indicated. That's why it took so long to diagnose. I haven't ever read here of anyone having the same issue, but that was my experience. It ended up being the common location on the BUS where all the signals crossed. --Steve

Last edited by SRLyon; 09-12-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Add detail
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by SRLyon
I didn't have any trouble with using the key, it was just messing with CANBUS signals and giving the faults and lights, limp home etc as indicated. That's why it took so long to diagnose. I haven't ever read here of anyone having the same issue, but that was my experience. It ended up being the common location on the BUS where all the signals crossed. --Steve
I'll keep that in mind, tired of throwing parts at it. Ordered a STAR diagnostic tool, so hopefully that'll get me somewhere.