CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK Died, not CPS. Help Please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330CI
CLK Died, not CPS. Help Please?

So guys how it goes is my dad was driving home one day. He stopped to pick up my sister and then the car dies. He waits a while and it starts up again, as he was driving home it dies in traffic. We get it towed home, when we get home it starts up just fine. I research and we decide that its the CPS, so we bought one and just installed it. I take it for a drive around my block (that way i don't get stuck far from home just incase it stalls again). When it is finally fully warm it dies again and I walked home. The car is still somewhere in my neighborhood. So I'm really confused on what it is if it isn't the CPS.

*Cliffs*

Car dies when fully warmed up even after we just changed the CPS.

Any thoughts would be VERY appreciated.

-Raj

BTW this is my first post on MBWorld!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 PM

BMW 330CI
Okay just adding to this, I drove back just now to maybe reinstall the CPS. So I pulled it out, whiped it with a cloth and then reinstalled it. Still no luck.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
why don't you drive it to your local Pep Boys to get your car scanned, so you will know EXACTLY what the problem is, so you don't keep on buying incorrect sensors????
Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM

2kCLK320
when your car dies, does it still crank? Do you still have power? Are you throwing a CEL? When it dies does it putter out or just turn off?

So it dies after it warms up, so every time you let it cool it starts up no problem?

I'm probably not going to be able to pinpoint it, I'm not a mechanic but no one can help you unless you give a more detailed description of you problem.

Same exact thing was happening to my Acura, I spent 2 hours changing the fuel pump in an autozone parking lot, turned out being a cold solder joint on the main relay under the dash(thank you Legend Forum), took 20 mins to fix. It was a 94 so it cant be the same problem here but I understand how you feel.

Also what does CPS stand for?

Last edited by xmodrelic; 12-19-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
Originally Posted by xmodrelic

Also what does CPS stand for?
CPS = crank positioning sensor
Old 12-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Air-mass sensor...i know you took your airbox off to replace your CPS, make sure its on correctly and no air-leaks.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
This really sounds like a bad CPS. Where did you get your new one? I've heard of bad ones on E-bag.

Also, the next time it's stuck, you may want to hook up a timing light. That will tell you if you're getting spark.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Cool

I would like more info too. It would not surprise me that the CPS was bad from stock...
Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
This really sounds like a bad CPS. Where did you get your new one? I've heard of bad ones on E-bag.

Also, the next time it's stuck, you may want to hook up a timing light. That will tell you if you're getting spark.
I know this may be a dum question but I will ask anyway!! How do you use a timing light on the CLK? I thought the timing light was only for carbureted cars so that you could advance the timing on the distributor?

Greg
Old 12-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK430
get the timing gun (has two conn.)...hook the red power clamp to a power supply on vehicle. then clamp the other end onto the no. 1 spark plug cable.

crank the engine. the light will tell you if you are getting an impluse thru the cable.

hope this makes sense...it does to me!

It has to be the cps, it is the only logical culprit!
I m suprised that it did not throw a light...the engine management is so advanced that if you fart too hard while you are checking the oil, the car will tell you.

Last edited by charliev68; 12-21-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by charliev68
get the timing gun (has two conn.)...hook the red power clamp to a power supply on vehicle. then clamp the other end onto the no. 1 spark plug cable.

crank the engine. the light will tell you if you are getting an impluse thru the cable.

exxxxxxactly. If it's got sparkplug cables, you can use a timing light with it.

I m suprised that it did not throw a light...the engine management is so advanced that if you fart too hard while you are checking the oil, the car will tell you.
Once again, I agree with Charlie. "Hard farting" is uh . . . . . . um . . . . . . . well, . . . . . . . it just doesn't sound good.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430

Damn man, I always end up learning something on this site!!! I am going to have to pick one up at Auto Zone now just in case. My CLK is running fine but it would be nice to have to troubleshoot in the future. Oh..and yeah it made perfect sense!!

Greg