CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Squeake front wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk320
Squeake front wheel

Just recently my driver side starting squeaking, it got so annoying that I finally took it to my indy to check it out. According to him it not a big deal (i.e. bearing or any braking mechanics) he said maybe something is stuck between the rotor and the brake dust shield or it could be rust build-up.
The only way for him to fix is to pull everything a part hence this posting, is anything I can try to remedy this myself or my only solution is to bring it in.
Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks E.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by lupo7791
Just recently my driver side starting squeaking, it got so annoying that I finally took it to my indy to check it out. According to him it not a big deal (i.e. bearing or any braking mechanics) he said maybe something is stuck between the rotor and the brake dust shield or it could be rust build-up.
The only way for him to fix is to pull everything a part hence this posting, is anything I can try to remedy this myself or my only solution is to bring it in.

Thanks E.
When does it squeek?

BTW, if it is a wheel bearing, fix it now.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by lupo7791

Thanks E.

My car was doing the same thing, it was sqeeking all the time and i just replaced the brakes and everything was ok. do that first even if the light is not on
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
Originally Posted by MarcusF
When does it squeek?

BTW, if it is a wheel bearing, fix it now.
?? to the wheel bearing comment..... i went to get my alignment but cudnt b/c they said i need a new centerlink and right rear bearing.... alignments so ****ty after the camber kit install so i havent been drivin the car......so if its a bearing, is it really dangerous or something..ive been hearing this droning humming sound from my rear wheels for a bit at like 50mph+ ...is that from the bearing...?

sorry to semi-threadjack
Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
If that bearing fails you could have a frozen wheel at freeway speeds or worse... watching it go down the road without you! Yes... bad bearing is a bad idea to drive on. If you jack the car up and have play in the wheel on the spindle then it's toast. This is WAYY cheaper to fix now than later
Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 AM

2002 clk 430
its the bearing same thing happened to me before i even knew it was the bearing dangerous to drive on you will damage your car bad if u keep driving first the squeekng then it will break
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk320
Update

Well guys some of you are right, last friday as I pulled on 93 the squeak transformed to loud griding noise. So I pulled over immediately, the car is now at the dealer, this was the closes place unfortunately, or it would have been a lot of money to have towed it to my indy. They haven't called yet this morning but I' afraid they are going to tell me I need a lot of work done. E
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Dealers in MD quote about $700 for replacing both front wheel bearings....