CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Differential BANGING!!! Need help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Rear Differential BANGING!!! Need help PLEASE

Well, I knew all was going to well for my car and me and then BAM a new issues slams its way into my life

ISSUE: Whenever I place my car in reverse or drive I get a loud metallic BANG/SLAM right by the rear differential. I had my wife place it in gear while holding the brakes and I hear the bang right there in the differential area. So now comes the issue..do I need to replace parts on the rear subframe or do I need to replace the mounts that hold up the rear of the Diff where it mounts onto the subframe. I went to the stealership and they wanted 60 bucks each for the 2 rubber mounts that hold the differential in the rear so I dont want to waste my money on those parts unless I really have to. Its actually pretty embarrasing now to have the car make this loud noise and I can almost hear it when I step on the gas as well. I hope it doesnt mess anything else up as I use this car as my daily driver.

I am really hoping that someone else might have had this issue before and may provide some insight into what I need to replace.

EDIT: I have added a pic of the rear subframe so someone else can point out where some of the normal problems might occur. The red arrows point to the area where the rear mounts attach to. The Brown circled area show where the subframe mounts to the cars frame or body??? Could this be the issue instead?? I might have to take the whole thing apart in the end but I would like to hear what others have ran into before I do.

Thanks,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Rear Differential BANGING!!! Need help PLEASE-clk-subframe.jpg  

Last edited by gregory13lil; 01-28-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Are you sure it's not the flex discs?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I checked and cleaned both of the flex discs and they are not cracked or broken. They are the ones that are located on the halfshafts right next to the sides of the diff right??

Would the cracks be visible from the outside or do they need to be taken off? Also, would those flex disks cause that noise as well?

Greg
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ck430 2002
i had this problem it was the diff it had too much play in the diff lool you need to slow down greg
i got a refurbished one from an e430 dam better now.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Damn..I really hope its not the diff!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Yes, if the flex disks are bad, the cracks are visible.

A diff usually won't fail unless it's been run low on fluid or seen more torque/abuse than these cars produce. The diff seals have been known to leak on these cars. Do your show signs of leakage?

If you do need a new ring and pinion, you may want to consider the 320 unit.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
wait... im confused.. I thought the discs that went bad are on the driveshaft, not the halfshafts? Hey Marcus... whats the advantage of the 320 over the 430? gearing??
Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Technically they are on both parts because that is the piece on each side that connects the halfshaft to the differential.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
lol.. ur right but what I meant was... I thought the disks on the driveshaft were the more common wear item. I could be wrong, but I would think the driveshaft disks have more energy to absorb and hence first to fail. Just makin sure you ck there too before doom and gloom sets in
Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Ahhhhh..I understand now and yes that completely make sense. That is the only thing that I did not actually check!!!! I am going to the shop and lift the car so that I can take a look at that right now. Hopefully that is the problem.

Greg

I will take some pics as well just for the hell of it.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
noise

do you get any noise while driving forward or reverse or is the slam/bang occurring only when you put the car in reverse? I would think, that if the ring and pinion was bad you would get some noise when driving and shifting, no
Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Fixed for 2 dollars and 50 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAHHHHH!! I fixed it finally!!

The problem was the rear mounts after all but they didn't need to be replaced just tightened. Well the driver side one needed to be tightened back up since it got loose somehow. It was not loose enough to move by hand but the torque was enough to move it and make noise. So I grabbed a wrench and tightened it a bit and VOILA no noise now. It is quiet as can be when I place it in reverse or drive again. And when I take off at a light I dont hear that slight metal bang anymore!! I have attached pics for those that may have the problem in the future. It is the bell housing with the red arrows that were lose and needed tightening.

I have also added pics of the front flex disc..it seems that they are starting to crack now. Maybe they are cracking because the diff was mounted too loose???? I will now be replacing this flex disc even though its not giving me any symptoms just yet...OR should I wait???

The last shot is for confirmation that our CLK430's do in fact have the 2.87 gears.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Rear Differential BANGING!!! Need help PLEASE-img00011-20100129-1514.jpg   Rear Differential BANGING!!! Need help PLEASE-img00006-20100129-1457.jpg   Rear Differential BANGING!!! Need help PLEASE-img00008-20100129-1458.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
YEAHHHHH!! I fixed it finally!!

The problem was the rear mounts after all but they didn't need to be replaced just tightened. Well the driver side one needed to be tightened back up since it got loose somehow. It was not loose enough to move by hand but the torque was enough to move it and make noise. So I grabbed a wrench and tightened it a bit and VOILA no noise now. It is quiet as can be when I place it in reverse or drive again. And when I take off at a light I dont hear that slight metal bang anymore!! I have attached pics for those that may have the problem in the future. It is the bell housing with the red arrows that were lose and needed tightening.

I have also added pics of the front flex disc..it seems that they are starting to crack now. Maybe they are cracking because the diff was mounted too loose???? I will now be replacing this flex disc even though its not giving me any symptoms just yet...OR should I wait???

The last shot is for confirmation that our CLK430's do in fact have the 2.87 gears.

Greg
HAHA.. two fiddy!! what cha buy? The cracks you have in the disc dont look bad to me and If memory serves.. they start clicking when getting close. Marcus would have better wisdom on that but looks to me like you still have life left in em. With that third member doin the hula under your car im sure that had an effect on the driveshaft discs. Glad u found it before it did some real damage
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
HAHA.. two fiddy!! what cha buy? The cracks you have in the disc dont look bad to me and If memory serves.. they start clicking when getting close. Marcus would have better wisdom on that but looks to me like you still have life left in em. With that third member doin the hula under your car im sure that had an effect on the driveshaft discs. Glad u found it before it did some real damage
The 2.50 was for the bay rental since I only used it for 30 minutes. I just did a long drive to make sure all was well and its still nice and tight. I will wait on the flex disc since its not making the clicking noise or any noise for that matter right now.

Thanks for all the help guys...just glad I got her sounding nice again!