CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

after market stereo install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 clk 320
after market stereo install

whats exactly is needed to install an aftermarket stereo? i read that you need some typ of converter to keep the bose working. any feed back would help.

-thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
These links are "what I did" and "why I did it". They should cover most of your questions.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 AM

1999 clk 320
oh well about the pac oem 2 whats the deal with the rc cable inputs on it. also i dont have steering wheel control buttons. what am i suposse to do with the port one canabus conection.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Georgei93
oh well about the pac oem 2 whats the deal with the rc cable inputs on it. also i dont have steering wheel control buttons. what am i suposse to do with the port one canabus conection.
The short answer is - "there are none" and "nothing".

The longer answer is

If you mean the RCA connectors, it’s been a long time since I’ve looked at my PAC OEM2. But if memory serves me, there are no RCA connectors on the PAC OEM2. The first diagram in the Preassembly section is of my Alpine head unit – that has RCA connectors, but I don't use them. The PAC OEM2 is the second diagram.

Re the canabus connection:

The multifunction steering wheel wasn't introduced on the CLK until 2000, so you wouldn't need an SWI-JACK or an SWI-CAN2. You only need the PAC OEM2. Since you don't have a multifunction steering wheel, I doubt you have a CANBUS connection for your radio. If you do have a CANBUS connection running to the original equipment head unit, after unplugging it, leave it unplugged. What happens then? This is what I think happens: "nothing that you can see", and why -

First, allow me to go in a different direction for a sec, but we’ll get back to it - canabus is typically the misspelling of cannabis, IE weed – and some people’s cars do run like they’re high ( followed by ), but they’re not. Cars behave the way they do because of logic. The CLK has a CANBUS – Control Area Network BUS. Many people on these forums are IT guys, and some IT guys look at CANBUS a lot like token ring. Just like on a token ring connection, whatever is sending data packets to the head unit via the CANBUS will receive a “host not available” message. At that point, programming logic will take over. Will the sending host display an error message that states “-- AUDIO --“? That only happens under very bizarre conditions for 2000 and later TFT-LCD screens, but I do believe the CANBUS is involved. You won’t see it on a 1999, because you don’t have a TFT-LCD. More than likely, the packets will time out/be discarded and nothing will happen. Any IT guys care to say what they think the CANBUS network looks like and what the host will do if it doesn’t see a radio? Care to guess why a termination plug isn't needed? Also, if the MF steering wheel isn't the host sending the head unit the signal, who would the host be?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The short answer is - "there are none" and "nothing".

The longer answer is

If you mean the RCA connectors, it’s been a long time since I’ve looked at my PAC OEM2. But if memory serves me, there are no RCA connectors on the PAC OEM2. The first diagram in the Preassembly section is of my Alpine head unit – that has RCA connectors, but I don't use them. The PAC OEM2 is the second diagram.

Re the canabus connection:

The multifunction steering wheel wasn't introduced on the CLK until 2000, so you wouldn't need an SWI-JACK or an SWI-CAN2. You only need the PAC OEM2. Since you don't have a multifunction steering wheel, I doubt you have a CANBUS connection for your radio. If you do have a CANBUS connection running to the original equipment head unit, after unplugging it, leave it unplugged. What happens then? This is what I think happens: "nothing that you can see", and why -

First, allow me to go in a different direction for a sec, but we’ll get back to it - canabus is typically the misspelling of cannabis, IE weed – and some people’s cars do run like they’re high ( followed by ), but they’re not. Cars behave the way they do because of logic. The CLK has a CANBUS – Control Area Network BUS. Many people on these forums are IT guys, and some IT guys look at CANBUS a lot like token ring. Just like on a token ring connection, whatever is sending data packets to the head unit via the CANBUS will receive a “host not available” message. At that point, programming logic will take over. Will the sending host display an error message that states “-- AUDIO --“? That only happens under very bizarre conditions for 2000 and later TFT-LCD screens, but I do believe the CANBUS is involved. You won’t see it on a 1999, because you don’t have a TFT-LCD. More than likely, the packets will time out/be discarded and nothing will happen. Any IT guys care to say what they think the CANBUS network looks like and what the host will do if it doesn’t see a radio? Care to guess why a termination plug isn't needed? Also, if the MF steering wheel isn't the host sending the head unit the signal, who would the host be?
Why marcus why, you gotta bring up the token ring/bus! Im gonna take a lazy wack at THE TERMINATOR! Im thinking three different ways 1. theres a terminator behind the steering wheel. So when a signal is broadcasted across the bus its seen by all host twice due to the reflection off a 1 sided terminated bus. As the signal flows along the bus the recieving host sees the mirrored data bus takes it as 1, with no ack data flows until the terminator stops it, no token passing. If no terminator it would just bounce up and down the wire, until signal fade. 2nd would be a token ring (a closed circuit no terminator needed) data is passed around adn around too all host, when signal is recogized by host takes the token if that data is thiers and not passed to the next host in the circle. 3rd would be the same as the 1st with a token passing. All the 3 situations they are all host.

The PAC, RCA plugs can be used as input or output. It can be used in any direction. The current pac does have RCA's and can be used as a alternative way to feed a clean signal to your bose amp. Read this post marcus actully has discussed this before.....um :p
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-bose-amp.html
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by GiZzO
Why marcus why, you gotta bring up the token ring/bus! Im gonna take a lazy wack at THE TERMINATOR! Im thinking three different ways 1. theres a terminator behind the steering wheel. So when a signal is broadcasted across the bus its seen by all host twice due to the reflection off a 1 sided terminated bus. As the signal flows along the bus the recieving host sees the mirrored data bus takes it as 1, with no ack data flows until the terminator stops it, no token passing. If no terminator it would just bounce up and down the wire, until signal fade. 2nd would be a token ring (a closed circuit no terminator needed) data is passed around adn around too all host, when signal is recogized by host takes the token if that data is thiers and not passed to the next host in the circle. 3rd would be the same as the 1st with a token passing. All the 3 situations they are all host.

The PAC, RCA plugs can be used as input or output. It can be used in any direction. The current pac does have RCA's and can be used as a alternative way to feed a clean signal to your bose amp. Read this post marcus actully has discussed this before.....um :p
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-bose-amp.html

TR is good guess because that's what was popular in the mid-1990s, and I'm pretty sure MB and Bosch didn't invent the protocols from scratch. They stole a little here, a little there, and then called it proprietary.

Yes, you are right, there are RCAs, I couldn't remember anything about them, but after looking at my photos, they're there. The say the mind is the first to go. With me I guess it's memory. A ton of getmains, followed by only a few freemains, and the next thing you know . . . . . .
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

1999 clk 320
oh thanks for your guys input but im still getting thrown off because the wiring harness that i bought works for my car but it has now rca cables to conect to the pac oem 2.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Georgei93
oh thanks for your guys input but im still getting thrown off because the wiring harness that i bought works for my car but it has now rca cables to conect to the pac oem 2.
This question is tough to read.

If you have RCA cables, the OEM2 will work, If you don't, it still works.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 PM

1999 clk 320
oh i see thanks for all your help the install will happen this saturday ill post on how it goes.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 AM

1999 clk 320
i have one more question that came to mind. will i need to buy some kind of install kit or should the after market deck come with some sort of install kit to mount the deck? and if i need one can any one tell me were to get it from?

-thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Having no idea what you're buying and where you're getting it from - I don't know. If you need additional hardware, the shop that sells you the head unit is a good place to start. I prefer Crutchfield
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM

1999 clk 320
so every thing ended up working out fine which is intresting because sound quality is good with out pac oem 2. only problem is every time i turn the ignition to off the clock on the deck and all the other settings gets reset. i have a pioneer deh-3300ub any help would be nice.

-thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 AM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
You have your battery and ACC reversed.

It does sound just fine without the PAC oem2. Its the way i ran it for atleast over a month, but going to oem2 installed was like going from casette tape to CD much cleaner. We would not recommend iif it made no difference.... Its worth a try if you feel like hacking at it somemore. I like to diddle alot so i tried all different varible setups.

Last edited by GiZzO; 01-11-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 AM

1999 clk 320
oh i see. im not familiar with what color wires are what. all i did was match all the wires that had a match then pretty much plug and play. is there a color for acc and battery? i would assume battery is red. acc i have no idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
With and without the PAC OEM2 is a lot like gasoline grades. I can throw a full tank of 87 octane regular in my car and someone who's never gone for a ride may think it's fast. Drain the regular and run premium fuel and they'll see the difference.

A Bose amp is designed for a certain type of input. It'll run with the wrong input, but not as well. $15 is the difference.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 AM

1999 clk 320
I guess your right but can this also fix my problem with the clock resetting or should i find out which is the battery wire and the acc wire and switch them. Honestly i dont know much about stereo installs so bare with me.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 AM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
This post may help you out, you may have to tap into your cig lighter for ACC or battery i forget which one it is now

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ic-z110bt.html

20th or so post down we start talking about power source / memory issue.

Last edited by GiZzO; 01-11-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM

1999 clk 320
oh i see thanks for your help guys this help me alot i just switch acc and battery wire and was successful with memory on the deck. thanks