CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

True Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
True Dual Exhaust?

Anybody tried this? I believe it would work on our cars. Do we have the clearance?

I'm thinking 4 dynomax bullet mufflers w/ the first 2 factory cats should do the trick 2.5-3" piping...maybe headers one day.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/IMG00082.jpg

Last edited by da_guitarist; 06-27-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Is that a Benz? It looks like it and if it is the right pipe is right up against the fuel pump without any heat shielding. don't know if I would go there.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
If that's a W208, the sway bar is different than mine.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk 320
That looks real good! I plan on doing something like this soon.I already have the set up just need to put it on.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
A few have but not a true dual from straight back. Seems there is no room to run the second pipe back so they piggy backed running a pipe from the muffler to the other side along the rear bumper, deyainrdy4ds CLK430 & babyboigsxr CLK320

https://mbworld.org/forums/3300768-post86.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-new-look.html
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Let me step in real quick since ive done many attempts at this over the past 7 years. The car in the picture is a w209 from what i can see. the bottom end of the rear is very different than ours because they house their batteries in the hood. so what many of the w209 owners do is buy the spare wheel portion from the w203 C55 which came equipped with dual exhaust and have theirs removed and put that in place and use the heat shielding from the c55 as well which allowes them to run two tanks or in this case pipes on both sides with one tank. in ours its almost impossible because our spare wheel portion drags all the way up to the passenger side of the bumper which leaves no room to run a pipe. there are a few ways that we can acheiev this.

1. get a single in dual out and run a pipe from the back of the bumper to the passenger side and put the tips on a Y pipe and attach each side to one of the outlets on the tank to acheive even flow

2. remove your spare ties and move the battery to the cent of the trunk and extend the wires for the battery and then have a bopdy shop cut the battery area and make a custom piece to fill in the area that you cut to be able to fit a secondary tank underneath.

3. remove the resinator and replace it with either to Glass packes, Cherry bombs/ bullet exhaust and have a Y pipe at the end of it and run two pipes one to each side. the only problem with this is that the passenger side pipe will be rinnung under the spare wheel area and will be exposed and on steap drive ways you it might scrape.

I have personally done option one as i thin its the cleanest way and the best way to keep the factorty speacs for air flow to avoid back fires. If you are going to do it make sure that the exhaust shop knows what they are doing and are very accurate and proficient with tight bends and Y pipe making, because if they are not you will spend tones of money over and over and your exhaust will look like tor up and you won't get even flow so in the mornings that the car is cold your exhaust only come out of one side and also the passenger side tips stay new and clean while the driver side tips look like they just came back from a war at the track.

Hope this helped, sorry for the long book that i just wrote!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
It's definitely a w209 in the pic. We don't have that little bit of room open for a pipe?

I suppose I need to get underneath my car and look again (been a couple years). Maybe relocating the battery would prove useful.

Trending Topics

Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Relocate the battery to where? There is no room in the engine bay. The entire tire well with the battery is the issue. You cold eliminate the spare tire and fabricate something else to house the battery and one of those mini spare tires perhaps. if vipclk320 can't do it without canabalizing the tire well, no one can.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 06-28-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
haha, thanks dl,

To the OP, unfortunatly there is no room for any piping except behinde the bumper. again you can run the pipe under neeth the spare wheel area but that would just look nasty and scrape all the time. i made some designs arounf possibly making a custom side wall on the spare wheel tub and moving the battery up about 7 inches without having to sacrfise the spare wheel but then you have tpo worry about making a cover for the battery in the trunk which means you have to make a cusrom box, bracket and find matching carpet as the rest of the trunk which is just a tone of work. I'm going to do this once my AMG 55 swap is done but i am working on finalizing the design because unless it looks factory i am not going to do it. if you notice all my mods are done with OEM parts because aftermarket is just never going to be OEM plus i like my car to be moded but look liek it came from the factory like that, like the balck series. right now i bought all the electronics for my 55 swap and looking for the rest of the parts, once thats done i will start the exhaust and keep you guys posted. meanwhile if anyone has access to the wiring diagram for the clk 55 2001 and the clk 320 1999 i would really appreciate it, i'm mainly looking for the harnesses that go from the ECU to the inside of the car, i want to know where they connect to. That is my only hold up on the swap. I'm going for a 55 with 320 Diff and dual tank exhaust and possibly a twin turbo off of the new bi turbo 55s once the manifolds are available for sale.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
"possibly a twin turbo off of the new bi turbo 55s once the manifolds are available for sale."
OMG Ash! You are totally insane. I love you man!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
"possibly a twin turbo off of the new bi turbo 55s once the manifolds are available for sale."
OMG Ash! You are totally insane. I love you man!
lol, yes i want to stick with OEM parts only and from my research the new engines are based on the old M113 so parts should be an easy bolt on and ecu tune would be even easier because the software already exists for a 5.5 twin turbo at that point! but for now i'm gathering parts off of the 55 for the swap which should be taking place shortly, the wiring is killing me though because i dont want to replace the complete body harness, so i'm trying to figure out what parts of the harness are different and just swap those because mine is a 99 and i dont have tip tronics, so for now the only harnesses that i found to be different are the ecu harnesses and the BAS/ESP which i know are seperate than the body harness, because the body harness is attched to the SAM unit and these are not.

Last edited by VIPclk320; 06-29-2011 at 01:25 PM.