CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dim Odometer background.. not the pixel issue! Clk 430 Clk430 2000 W208

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Clk430
Dim Odometer background.. not the pixel issue! Clk 430 Clk430 2000 W208

As you'll see in the picture (which also shows my missing pixels on the temperature gauge to the left) the background of my odometer screen is not illuminated on the right side. I don't feel this is the pixel issue as the text and numbers can still be seen. Are there also bulbs behind the pixels illuminating the screen? Any how to's with pictures about bulb removal? My main concern about removing the cluster to look myself is I've heard the horror stories of removing the cluster and the speedo/rpm/gas gauge needles not resetting to the right place.

I've already used the search tool and looked through everything about removing the cluster but couldn't find anything specific to this issue.

Thanks for any help guys.

*Some background on this by the way, both sides used to be illuminated until I ran out of gas one day and had to sputter the car off the road.. causing the lights to come on and off while the car struggled to stay running. Maybe this caused a short or blew a bulb?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Your photo link is dead, but yes, there is a left and a right 1.5-watt bulb behind the center TFT. Those are dealer part number 910141000000 and have a list price of $4.90

Alternatively, you can order the exact same bulb from Autohaus AZ for 99-cents. If you're buying a single bulb, it will cost about the same as a dealer when you factor in shipping. I recommend ordering several of each of the bulbs in the instrument cluster. In my car, there are two 2-watt bulbs, two 1.5 watt, and close to 20 1.3-watt bulbs in the back of the instrument cluster.

As tempting as it may be to check ebay for bulbs, I would avoid them. Here is an example of why: Two weeks ago I needed a 2-watt bulb, Mercedes-Benz dealer part number 0015445594. It has a dealer suggested retail price of $4.40. I know because I bought several from Autohaus AZ for sixty-seven cents each. Because the word "Mercedes-Benz" is used in the description, the same sixty-seven cent bulb is available on ebay for $16.68 No, I'm not kidding, here is the link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-S350-S420...sories&vxp=mtr

I can only guess there are people around who think Mercedes-Benz builds their own "light bulbs". If I could move a few thousand per month, I'd consider selling bulbs on ebay
Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 AM

2002 CLK430
It's been a while but as far as resetting back to zero, before you put the gauges back in, hold the unit vertically and see where the needles settle. Manual turn the needle(s) past their stop to the right (clockwise, you will feel some resistance) now see where the needle(s) settle. Repeat until there are at zero again. Just stumbled on this but it worked for me.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
You only have to pull the instrument cluster; there is no cluster disassembly required and the needles are not touched (although I know how to reset those if you find yourself in a pinch).

These are instructions regarding how to install chrome rings, but it also describes how to pull the instrument cluster. The cluster can be pulled with a coat hanger and a business card (the card goes between the coat hanger and dash pod - so as not to scratch that soft material) -
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ster-rings.pdf

You only have to look at the first four pages of pictures to see how it comes out. After you remove it, flip the cluster over. It will look like this photo. Simply unscrew one of the bulbs with the brown base a quarter turn counter clockwise and it will come right out. Installation is the reverse of removal except you won't need coat hangar wire - just reattach the two plugs and shove it in.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 PM

'99 CLK320, '91 BMW 325Ic
Looking at the pic, there are only two bulbs lighting the cluster? My temp gauge is dim on the far left corner. Is there a bulb on that side?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
The two bulbs with a yellow base are 2-watts and supply backlighting for the speedo and adjacent gauges. The outer edge of the side gauges are lit by 1.3-watt bulbs with green bases. It sounds like you need a 1.3-watt bulb.

The base color indicates the wattage. Autohaus has these for $2.50. Dealer price is about double. Ebay is outrageous. Some guy was selling them in 3 packs for $27.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM

2000 Clk430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
You only have to pull the instrument cluster; there is no cluster disassembly required and the needles are not touched (although I know how to reset those if you find yourself in a pinch).

These are instructions regarding how to install chrome rings, but it also describes how to pull the instrument cluster. The cluster can be pulled with a coat hanger and a business card (the card goes between the coat hanger and dash pod - so as not to scratch that soft material) -

You only have to look at the first four pages of pictures to see how it comes out. After you remove it, flip the cluster over. It will look like this photo. Simply unscrew one of the bulbs with the brown base a quarter turn counter clockwise and it will come right out. Installation is the reverse of removal except you won't need coat hangar wire - just reattach the two plugs and shove it in.

That's awesome to know. So I don't even have to disassemble the unit, like I would need to if installing the chrome rings or fixing the pixels, the lights just simply pull out and back in? If I can pull it out far enough, I may not even need to unplug the two wires in the back right? That's great. Thanks for that explanation.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
fd3

2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
I am having the same issue w/ my outside temp display, I am probably going to hold off though until i do the whole face and need swap only thing the faces in the swap say they are amg but they aren't marked like my original amg. I am considering a decal or just living without it.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 AM
fd3

2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
Very good detail

Originally Posted by MarcusF

Thats some serious detail. thanks a bunch that is going to come in handy. I do have to ask do you have something similar where you're switching the needles and actual gauges. I am getting the white one you see on ebay and i would like to do the blue needles to match the blue led kit im getting for it. let me know if you have anything else you put together
thanks again