CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

factory anti-theft alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory anti-theft alarm

Is there a way to set the sensitivity of the factory anti-theft alarm? Or is it even an alarm? Ive tried to set it off many times by banging on the window but nothing triggers the alarm to sound. Although when I push the panic on the key it goes off. And does anyone know of a aftermarket alarm that is decent?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: factory anti-theft alarm

Originally posted by johnnyCLK
Is there a way to set the sensitivity of the factory anti-theft alarm? Or is it even an alarm? Ive tried to set it off many times by banging on the window but nothing triggers the alarm to sound. Although when I push the panic on the key it goes off. And does anyone know of a aftermarket alarm that is decent?
MB vehicles don't really have a typical alarm system... they function to deter thieves, but, NO, they are not your typical aftermarket alarm systems that respond to stupid things like people hitting your window, or for that matter, when a car passes by with a loud fart-can muffler...

MB alarm systems only activate when an actual threat to the vehicle takes place... maybe if you actually BREAK your window, then it will set it off...

why do you want it going off just for someone hitting your window?
Old 09-03-2003, 11:35 AM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
The only way I've managed to set off the alarm, other than "breaking the window mmgrad style", is by having the windows down and opening the door from the inside with the alarm set on. I know cause I had the windows open one day and I set the alarm, afterwards I stepped in the house. Apparently my father stopped by with a friend of his to check out my car, meanwhile I'm inside checking for mods for my clk hehehe and the alarm goes off. At first I didn't think that it was my car, only cause I've never heard it, so I ran out and they were running to the house to tell me the alarm had gone off. lol, too much.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by clarkspark
The only way I've managed to set off the alarm, other than "breaking the window mmgrad style", is by having the windows down and opening the door from the inside with the alarm set on. I know cause I had the windows open one day and I set the alarm, afterwards I stepped in the house. Apparently my father stopped by with a friend of his to check out my car, meanwhile I'm inside checking for mods for my clk hehehe and the alarm goes off. At first I didn't think that it was my car, only cause I've never heard it, so I ran out and they were running to the house to tell me the alarm had gone off. lol, too much.
yup, if the doors are opened after they are remotely locked, the alarm will be set off...
Old 09-03-2003, 03:21 PM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
Originally posted by mmgrad
yup, if the doors are opened after they are remotely locked, the alarm will be set off...
You have an answer for everything don't cha.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
i dont' believe the factory "security" system has a shock sensor at all, which means that you can smash your windshield in, jump on the hood, and break all the windows w/o having the siren go off......i think the main purpose of this "security" system is for keyless entry and trunk pop. (which the range sucks)

AL
Old 09-03-2003, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by clkal
i dont' believe the factory "security" system has a shock sensor at all, which means that you can smash your windshield in, jump on the hood, and break all the windows w/o having the siren go off......i think the main purpose of this "security" system is for keyless entry and trunk pop. (which the range sucks)

AL
well, the system will get set off during unauthorized entry, such as opening the door & trunk... not too sure about the breaking the window part... i ain't one to volunteer to test that theory.

but the car does have a sensor for the tilt... just in case someone is trying to jack up the car to steal your wheels or to tow your car away...
Old 09-03-2003, 06:11 PM

2003 CLK55AMG
Try this....

AL
Lock the car and stand at one corner. Shake the car vertically or horizontally and see if an alarm goes off. Bet it does.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
when someone is breaking into your car, they will not shake it vertically or horizontally. They will smash a window in. The lack of a shock sensor will not trigger the factory security system. If you don't believe me....try it... i guarantee you it will NOT trigger.

AL
Old 09-03-2003, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

when someone is breaking into your car, they will not shake it vertically or horizontally. They will smash a window in. The lack of a shock sensor will not trigger the factory security system. If you don't believe me....try it... i guarantee you it will NOT trigger.

AL
does the person who tries it get a new window if the alarm is set off?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:37 PM

2003 CLK55AMG

AL
But if they then open the door the alarm does go off.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
yes. that is pretty much standard on even the most basic $49 alarms. I'm just saying that it's pretty much useless. It should be called a keyless entry system rather than a factory security system.

AL
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by clkal
yes. that is pretty much standard on even the most basic $49 alarms. I'm just saying that it's pretty much useless. It should be called a keyless entry system rather than a factory security system.

AL
The factory alarm is awesome. Awesome at pissing off my and my neighbors because the POS goes off for no effing reason at all.

Oh, and then there is the shock sensitivity. They are doing construction atop the parking garage at work. First day of construction my battery was f***ing dead from the alarm going off all day long.

I wish there was some way to TOTALLY remove that POS. Right now I can't park my car anywhere and lock it without the threat of the stupid thing killing my battery. Makes the car nearly useless.