CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

center brake lamp removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
center brake lamp removal

Can anyone give me some quick instructions on how to remove the center brake lamp assembly? I'm not sure how this happened but last night I noticed the top of the lens was broken and hanging off so I went ahead and snapped it off. At a distance you can't notice but it's enough to bug me so I ordered a new lamp from my dealer today. ($140 - you can't get just the lens, you have to buy the whole thing)

So anyways I'm pretty sure I have to remove the inside of the trunk lid but if you have any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Here are the pieces that broke off. I'm thinking it snagged in the car wash
Attached Thumbnails center brake lamp removal-brake-light-pieces.jpg  
Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
I just fixed mine yesterday too as the inside pieces fell off and were bouncing around inside the trunk lid... Basically, the lights and bracket remove from the inside of the trunk lid... Remove most of the black plastic rivets from around the edge of the trunk lid liner and the black plastic bezel around the trunk handle and latching mechanism... Fold down the trunk liner enough to be able to see inside the trunk lid... You'll see a cutout for access to the third center mounted brake light... There are 2 10MM nuts holding a steel bracket to the back of the lense housing... Remove those 2 10 MM nuts and and seperate the lights from the bracket... The bracket will remove from inside the trunk lid, the lense and lights through the mounting hole in the trunk lid... If yours broke like you said it did, the lense and lights are already seperated... Don't forget to also remove the lights power harness before you pullit out...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by sdunham
I just fixed mine yesterday too as the inside pieces fell off and were bouncing around inside the trunk lid... Basically, the lights and bracket remove from the inside of the trunk lid... Remove most of the black plastic rivets from around the edge of the trunk lid liner and the black plastic bezel around the trunk handle and latching mechanism... Fold down the trunk liner enough to be able to see inside the trunk lid... You'll see a cutout for access to the third center mounted brake light... There are 2 10MM nuts holding a steel bracket to the back of the lense housing... Remove those 2 10 MM nuts and and seperate the lights from the bracket... The bracket will remove from inside the trunk lid, the lense and lights through the mounting hole in the trunk lid... If yours broke like you said it did, the lense and lights are already seperated... Don't forget to also remove the lights power harness before you pullit out...
I just got it fixed - it wasn't hard at all. Thanks for the help!!

Jeff
Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by vmspionage
I just got it fixed - it wasn't hard at all. Thanks for the help!!

Jeff
Yeah, it probably took me longer to write it up than actually fix it...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 PM

W209 CLK
Did you guys have to pay for your brake lights?

Apparently this was an issue with the W209s and some of the dealrerships out there has covered it under warranty. I've linked the stickied posting on the benzworld forum for future reference.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...ake-light.html
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by chixdiggit

Apparently this was an issue with the W209s and some of the dealrerships out there has covered it under warranty. I've linked the stickied posting on the benzworld forum for future reference.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...ake-light.html
I actually paid for mine

Should I ask them to reimburse me for the part?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by chixdiggit
Mine fell apart at home and I "DIY'd" it for now until I take my car in to MB to get several other issues dealt with... I fully expect it to be handled under warranty...
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by vmspionage
I actually paid for mine

Should I ask them to reimburse me for the part?

Yes ! THis is absolutely a warranty item and a known issue with this car. I just had mine replaced under warranty.

Unfortunately, they probably won't pay you for the part because they will argue that you should've taken the car in for service.

Sorry that no one responded in time to keep you from paying for the part yourself - that is.. assuming your car is still under warranty.