CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

rumors of hardtop convertible clk still alive!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.

Old 11-02-2002, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Thumbs up rumors of hardtop convertible clk still alive!

from autospies:
http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000105079.cfm

Latest MB CLK500 cabriolet rumor
Cloth or Steel?

MB CLK Cabriolet with retractable hardtop coming?

More and more rumors are circulating about next year's Mercedes-Benz CLK cabriolet.

We showed some photos a few weeks back of the car being tested in Germany with a cloth top. Sources tell us that it is almost certain the CLK cab will show up with a retractable steel hardtop.

Our spies tell us that the next generation BMW 3-series will have the folding hardtop.

MB does not want to have an uncompetitive product, so they have given the go ahead for a retractable hardtop on CLK500.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I would love a hardtop on the CLK...I'm uncertain whether it is feasible or not. Maybe MB wants to but the sheer size and length of the roof would make a hardtop very difficult to implement. Not saying it can't be done, but weighing the cost/benefits says that the hardtop may just not be feasible.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:23 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Anyone one beside Autospies so reporting?

Surely, this "reporting" would be mentioned somewhere in the German press if it has any basis.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 PM

What's up with that site?"imakenews..." does that mean I can create and account and make whatever news I want?

There are a couple of pics floating around on the new CLK drop. It has been mention that it will be soft-top. I doubt they will make a hard top just for the CLK500 and not CLK320/350 (as someone mentioned) or even mid life change. It's too big of an item. It's a little close to production date for them to change something as major as this. I think it will be a soft-top like the current CLK convertables.

yok
Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 PM

Uh, if you haven't noticed, there is no current CLK cabrio using the 209 base, and they havent officially mentioned what theyre going to have, so I dont know where you get your assumption its going to be soft top in the first place...
Old 11-05-2002, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by yokomo
What's up with that site?"imakenews..." does that mean I can create and account and make whatever news I want?

There are a couple of pics floating around on the new CLK drop. It has been mention that it will be soft-top. I doubt they will make a hard top just for the CLK500 and not CLK320/350 (as someone mentioned) or even mid life change. It's too big of an item. It's a little close to production date for them to change something as major as this. I think it will be a soft-top like the current CLK convertables.

yok
well, so far, they've been actually pretty reliable! for example, they called the 350 engine. i'm still a bit skeptical until a real announcement is made.

but, i tell you this. w/out a hardtop, the clk is a very odd bird to me... and i'm totally intrigued by the comment that the next 3-series will have a hard top.

of course, if the SL350 is released...
Old 11-06-2002, 01:19 AM

andoroza,

When I say current CLK cab I am referring to the 208 CLK Cabs. If you go on the MB site, the current cab is a 208 and current coupe is 209. Re: where I got the idea of a soft-top. 1) The very first post here states pic of a soft-top and 2) The very same pic is the one that I saw. . That is where I got my assumptions "in the firstplace". Now with that being said. Imagine this... a few months back u saw a spy pic of the CLK cab with a hard top. Now in about 7+ months MB will offically sell this car and the offical debut might be even less then 7+ months via Europe Debut before US. Also remeber it takes TIME before this release. I dunno I'm guessing but at worst 2 months I would think for the poduction line to build the necessary # of CLK for distribution. Do you think that is enought time for a whole new design to production (I'm skipping MANY steps) process to happen? I dunno but my guess would be NO. With all that said.. what if I say hey I read somewhere CLK will be a soft top. Now what would u think?

But if the orginal spy pic was really a hardtop but MB made it look like a softtop then that would be wayyy cool. I could only dream that MB would be so creative.

young,

I would love to see a hardtop but I can't recall where I read that the new cabs will be a softtop and the pics that I have seen is one with the top down and one with the top covered slightly but if it was a soft top. I would love to see a SL350 in the US.

Not sure when the redesign 3 series will be coming out. Any guesses? 2005? I think it is still too far off. They also have the new 6 series that will be introduced before the redesign 3. I wonder if that will be a hardtop? I have seen a pic but it was top down. Now imagine the 6 series (priced higher) with soft-top and all the speculation that the new 3 series will have hardtop, that would be retarted. Too early to judge the 3 series but since I ahve seen pic of the 209 CLK cab with a soft-top, I'm sticking with my reasoning. Unless there is a new pic or more evidence. The current information still out weights the possiblity of a CLK hardtop. Though I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a hardtop. I can only imagine the resources spent on the R&D of a hard top of the SL now with the economy being what it is. I dunno if it MB would invest the same amount on the CLK and keep the retail price within 3% of the previous CLK. I'm guessing a retratable hardtop cost more then a soft-top

Oh one more note, by the look of the CLK side profile. If it was a hard top, would there be room for luggage? shiet... honestly I don't think there would be a trunk left! Oh and the roof line is LONG too!!!

yok

Last edited by yokomo; 11-06-2002 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:24 PM

2004 S500 4MATIC AMG SPORT PKG. - 2002 RANGE ROVER
Here is a thought on all of this.... more

Well, I sold my CLK320 Cab with AMG body and wheels before prices go down on the older body models. Just picked up a SL500, it is an amazing car, if you don't care for the 4 seater. I have a CLK500 Cab on order since April of 2001. I am hoping that CLK500 Cab with retractable, I will go sell my new SL and get the CLK500 Cab.

As far as, the top goes for the 2004 model, all the spy shots has been very hard to tell. I had a very reliable source from MB Germany said few months back they had been running 2 different prototypes one with the Vario and one soft top. So, if they decide to go with the hard top, it won't be a total change of production line. Who actually knows what the production line looks like. They may be misleading to make people think it is a softop, so they can sell the left over 2003 CLK Cabs... and not hurt the new SL introduction...

Recent News :

2004 Audi A4 Cabriolet will be sporting a retractable hardtop.
2004 BMW 3 Convertible will be sporting a retractble hardtop.
2004 Porsche 996 Cab will be a retractable hardtop.

All of those above are news releases by Car Magazines like, MotorTrend, Edmunds.com, etc. - Reliable Sources... So having said that, where does it leave MB with their options... Only way is to stay with Hardtop retractable... my opinion : Definitely Hardtop Retractable for the 2004 CLK Cabriolet....

We shall see... I am hoping.... I am #1 on the wait list at the local dealer.... can't wait to find out...
Old 11-07-2002, 08:19 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 240
Unfortunately, MB have confirmed officially that the 2003 flip top will be cloth. They're still working on the 2005 launch, which may be metal, but....

They've even started returning deposits and have cencelled my order.

Confirmed at European director level.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 240
Unhappy

Unfortunately, MB have now started refusing orders for a hard top CLK for next year. I have director level assurance that it will be a soft top.....
Old 04-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Exclamation New CLK Hardtop Convetible

The competition in the "sport coupe (4 seat) hardtop convertible" area is just getting too hot for MBZ to ignore. Look at the U.S. offerings as of 2006:

Vw Eos
Volvo S70
Pontiac G Coupe

Now there's talk of a:
BMW 3 Series
Ford Focus

It is ironic that the company that brought the hardtop convetible into the modern world with the SLK is now lagging in the same area.

They say the debut will be the 2007 Geneva Auto Show. I hope so. I'd love a Cabriolet, but I 'll never buy another ragtop.

Last edited by Starman; 04-08-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
if this is true, it shouldnt be that bad this way they would only have to make one design... but at that point they would have to make the price in between a coupe and convertible and not put a huge increase in price since it is not fair to those looking for a cheaper coupe model imho
Old 04-09-2006, 06:14 AM

'06 CLK200 Cabrio & 04' Peugeot 307
clkcadet, I think they would stop producing coupes if such model comes out...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Im surprised that the first post in this thread doesnt begin with Elizabethan English. When it was started the Dead Sea was only sick with a cold.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Im surprised that the first post in this thread doesnt begin with Elizabethan English. When it was started the Dead Sea was only sick with a cold.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:56 AM

Updates?

Well I have now seen the new four seat Volvo with the retractable metal top. The EOS should be out by the end of the summer (2006) and the Pontiac G6 hardtop 4 seat convetible is already on dealer lots in Florida and California. The Ford Focus variant will likely be limited to Europe for the present. Am I leaving off any others? It may not be the CLK, but with all the niche marketing Mercedes has done it would be surprising not to see a four seat convertible with a folding hardtop bearing the three pointed star in the near future.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
There are also rumours that there will be a hardtop convertible BMW 3-series in the near future. If that's the case, Mercedes will probably battle the competition with a hardtop conv. CLK. I really hope they do make it because I am in love with the SL. It is one of the hottest coupes around. Then, when you want to feel the wind in your hair, your car turns into a gorgeous roadster. Best of both worlds and I hope Mercedes gives the CLK the same treatment as they did with the SL.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:04 PM

updates now that the 07 models are coming out?

?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:41 AM

Am I the only person that likes soft-tops?

Mercedes make such classy soft-tops! The quality of fabric, lining, and fit look stunning. Few four seaters with folding hard-tops look any good (Peugeot or Lexus anyone!?) remember we are not talking SL's here and I very much doubt the proportions of a hard-top on a four seater will look good.
From the stunning cabriolets of past through to the current models, nothing oozes sheer class like a Mercedes cabrio. You can keep your folding tin.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Once you've had a folding hardtop you will never go back

Maybe Mercedes could weave some uncuttable threads into the cloth they use for the soft tops (Kevlar?). The reality is that in today's world security sells. Recall, Mercedes always offered the option of a removeable hadtop on the SL.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:20 AM

Updates for 2007 or 2008?

Any word?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by northbenz
Maybe Mercedes could weave some uncuttable threads into the cloth they use for the soft tops (Kevlar?). The reality is that in today's world security sells. Recall, Mercedes always offered the option of a removeable hadtop on the SL.
Y'know - I've had the same idea!! I think it makes sense.

- Thinker
Old 05-18-2006, 03:04 AM

Quick - let's run to the patent office!
Old 05-27-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 500AMG
Even though I would love a hardtop on the CLK...I'm uncertain whether it is feasible or not. Maybe MB wants to but the sheer size and length of the roof would make a hardtop very difficult to implement. Not saying it can't be done, but weighing the cost/benefits says that the hardtop may just not be feasible.

As of May 2006 is it correct that BMW has a 4 seat folding hardtop convertible officially announced?