CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

how to remove door sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK 350 Designo
how to remove door sills

I need to replace my door sills and I was wondering if there is a "how to paper" on this ?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM

CLK 270 CDI
Have not seen a paper, but its quite an easy task:
Lower the window.
Remove the cover that holds the tweeter and unplug.
Remove the plastic panel that surrounds the door latch - 1 screw
Remove the chrome plate above the latch at the top of the door - 3 screws.
Remove the 2 T30 torx screws; One behind the SRS airbag badge and one behind a plastic cover just under the door handle (my cover was a bit difficult to get off).
Once you have removed these screws carefully pull the door card from the bottom to unclip the plastic poppers. There are 4 of them along the bottom and up 2 each side. You may need to use a plastic wedge to help pop the card away from the door.
Once the poppers are all free, lift the card sharply upwards using the door handle. This unhooks the card from the door.
Once unhooked, the card is now only held in by the rubber window strip. Carefully pull the card out of the rubber strip starting from one side. Sometimes the whole rubber strip comes away from the door. If this happens then you must remove the strip from the door card before proceeding any further.
The last step is to remove the door lever cable by pulling back the cable to free from the mounting and then unhook from the lever. Then disconnect the window switch (slide the white tab) and then lastly remove the bottom light by removing the surround before disconnecting it.
The card is now free from the car.
Note the plastic surround you removed from the door latch is used to press the door switch and without this, the window will not close completely when the door is shut. The car will think the door is always open until this is refitted.

Last edited by wardpaa; 09-16-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
CLK 55 AMG 2005 and CLK 63 AMG cab.2007 - 2009 EVO - 2013 ML63 AMG - 2018 G63 AMG
Very nice write up

Just to be sure, with pix...

What you just explainted is the same procedure
as this thread? LINK Window rattling ?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 AM

CLK 270 CDI
Tony,
Could of done with those pics when i did the job but too late now.
Ironically the reason i needed to take my door card off was because the passenger window was ratlling when the window was down. Shutting the door produced that crashing feeling you only get with jap cars.
The reason was because there was a missing bolt from the top RH mount and the LH mount which is also the fore/aft adjuster was loose.
The bottom bolts were fine.
Is there a Merc procedure for setting the window position up ? My passenger window sits further out at the top than the drivers side when the door is closed. I adjusted the bottom mount but its on maximum tilt.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by wardpaa
Have not seen a paper, but its quite an easy task:
Lower the window.
Remove the cover that holds the tweeter and unplug.
Remove the plastic panel that surrounds the door latch - 1 screw
Remove the chrome plate above the latch at the top of the door - 3 screws.
Remove the 2 T30 torx screws; One behind the SRS airbag badge and one behind a plastic cover just under the door handle (my cover was a bit difficult to get off).
Once you have removed these screws carefully pull the door card from the bottom to unclip the plastic poppers. There are 4 of them along the bottom and up 2 each side. You may need to use a plastic wedge to help pop the card away from the door.
Once the poppers are all free, lift the card sharply upwards using the door handle. This unhooks the card from the door.
Once unhooked, the card is now only held in by the rubber window strip. Carefully pull the card out of the rubber strip starting from one side. Sometimes the whole rubber strip comes away from the door. If this happens then you must remove the strip from the door card before proceeding any further.
The last step is to remove the door lever cable by pulling back the cable to free from the mounting and then unhook from the lever. Then disconnect the window switch (slide the white tab) and then lastly remove the bottom light by removing the surround before disconnecting it.
The card is now free from the car.
Note the plastic surround you removed from the door latch is used to press the door switch and without this, the window will not close completely when the door is shut. The car will think the door is always open until this is refitted.
What does this have to do with removing a door sill? Unless my terminology differs wouldnt the door sill be where the mercedes benz is on chrome that some people change out for the illuminated ones? Am I wrong here because this is a write up on removing the door panel.
The following users liked this post:
WhatUsernameDuh (08-21-2023)
Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 AM

CLK 270 CDI
too many late nights...sorry.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM

W209 CLK 350 Designo
I appreciate the article, but I don't want to remove the door panel but the door sill.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Move the seat all the way back first, then firmly grab under the
plastic cover with both hands (on the inside) and pull up hard. The
cover is held in place by the brackets marked with the red circles.
Attached Thumbnails how to remove door sills-ds.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM

clk w 209
very useful informatin,Thanks a lot and best regards from Bulgaria
Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 E430, 2002 ML55
I removed my door panel and now the inside door opener handle is lose and doesn't allow me to open the door. The cable from the handle to the latch at the end is loss. Any recommendation on what I should do?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It sounds like the linkage came loose. It's hard to explain it, but the end of the cable hooks into the handle, and also has to be snapped into the plastic retainer. It's actually a very typical setup if you've ever worked on auto trim.