CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320CDI
Rear speakers

Horrified to find my car doesnt have rear speakers yestarday!

Anyone know what the options are here: is there a harness in place there?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
no harness....if you want to add rear speakers, you're looking to do some fab work aswell as routing wires..

If i were you, i would save up and tear the entire audio setup out and replace it all at once. MB has done a crappy job with their speaker positioning in our cars.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Supafly

If i were you, i would save up and tear the entire audio setup out and replace it all at once. MB has done a crappy job with their speaker positioning in our cars.

that's what I'm doing
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM

our cars have lots of sound-deading material in the body and doors....lots of space for easy work... a few of us have done it and so have I...if you got questions let us know.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
our cars have lots of sound-deading material in the body and doors....lots of space for easy work... a few of us have done it and so have I...if you got questions let us know.
+1
Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 AM

CLK320CDI
Ok, i want to keep command cus the sat nav is useful. Can i add bass to the rear shelf without having to have a cheesy bass box in the boot?
How can i connect it to command, are there wires i could connect to or do i have to buy new connectors?
How do i get command out?
Thanks guys
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM

CLK500
there is already a sub on the rear parcel shelf... connected via 2 inputs from the head unit

i actually took my sub out when i upgraded the door speakers because the sub is horrible and just rattles

its an "infinite baffle" sub and a slimline one at that. there is a few repalcement options. if you really want to add a sub/amp on the sly, you could hook up the sub inputs to a single-channel amp (with a high-level input) and then run that to a new sub. then you have an amped sub and COMAND running the 4 door speakers
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM

CLK320CDI
Originally Posted by Aussie_CLK
there is already a sub on the rear parcel shelf... connected via 2 inputs from the head unit

i actually took my sub out when i upgraded the door speakers because the sub is horrible and just rattles

its an "infinite baffle" sub and a slimline one at that. there is a few repalcement options. if you really want to add a sub/amp on the sly, you could hook up the sub inputs to a single-channel amp (with a high-level input) and then run that to a new sub. then you have an amped sub and COMAND running the 4 door speakers
that sounds great except, i have lifted both speaker grilles and found only foam!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
LOL. wow. theres no sign of connectors too?

damn bro, that sucks. i would suggest doing an audio overhaul. ripping all the old stuff out and replacing it. i love my aftermarket nav. and comparing mine to a couple of friends with oem, i think mine's better lol.

things to consider, once you go aftermarket, you have many many many! options to consider in terms of choices. and i found that our cars are pretty easy to work on thanks to the write up of owners before me. lol we have a couple of threads open with lots of info.

but if you still want stock audio, look around for that wire in the back, maybe its hidden somewhere. and i believe it was v12, he was the member who put subs in the rear to look like stock. so check out his thread.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM

CLK500
problem is, once you go aftermarket, you lose the integration that mercedes designed, that being phone/nav/steering controls/cluster display etc

the sub should be only on the drivers side (for US cars) or passenger side (UK/aus cars). if you lift the speaker grille, then lift the foam, there should be a small thin "sub" which is more like a flapping piece of paper
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Aussie_CLK
problem is, once you go aftermarket, you lose the integration that mercedes designed, that being phone/nav/steering controls/cluster display etc

the sub should be only on the drivers side (for US cars) or passenger side (UK/aus cars). if you lift the speaker grille, then lift the foam, there should be a small thin "sub" which is more like a flapping piece of paper
well you can go aftermarket and still get all those controls. you can get the pac steering unit it allows you to program you buttons. i have integrated bluetooth on my unit with nav. i didnt bother with the pac audio for the steering because i didnt feel like i needed it.

so the answer is yes, you can keep that integration, but it will cost you.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM

CLK320CDI
I'd like to keep it 100% tbh, but i'm sure i would find something more effective for a lesser cost.
Has anyone got a pic of this sub? i'm not finding anything in the parcel shelf.

If the wires are there for that sub, surely that means i can wire my amp and sub upto it?
But would mounting subs to the parcel shelf not be very effective?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by CLK5313
I'd like to keep it 100% tbh, but i'm sure i would find something more effective for a lesser cost.
Has anyone got a pic of this sub? i'm not finding anything in the parcel shelf.

If the wires are there for that sub, surely that means i can wire my amp and sub upto it?
But would mounting subs to the parcel shelf not be very effective?
go into your trunk, and look up at the underside of the shelf...you should see a basket containing the 8" sub.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM

CLK320CDI
go into your trunk, and look up at the underside of the shelf...you should see a basket containing the 8" sub.
In that case: i definitely don't have one! damn, i wonder if the wires will be there?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
lol i didnt know it was an 8. i thought it was a 6.5 rofl. but yeah open up that back grill and take a look. i opened up mine today and i could clearly see the sub. my camera is coming in 2m. if it does, i'll see if i can take a pic for you