CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can this be a MAF Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 240 - 2003
Exclamation Can this be a MAF Issue?

hey everyone,
i am having this weird problem. i was driving and got stuck in traffic and i needed to make a turn, so i Reversed, and then shifted to D & kind of floored it... the car didn't do anything. No Spin wheel, no nothing... so i took my foot off the gas, and then pressed the gas pedal gently and everything went fine.

i previously drove an infiniti and as soon as u step the gas pedal , the ESP keeps on shining of wheel spins. Now i know i don't have the same torque, yet i guess i should have something when i floor it and its standing still for my CLk 240.

(one more thing, can this be something related to the MAF? been lately having some signs as in RPM slightly not stable on idle; when going up a hill on a steady foot, i feel the RPM is slightly out of tune +/- lets say steady at 2000 RPMs, it feels going down (-100 RPMs and back to the 2000 RPM) . i know the MAF does not give any warning on the dash until it is dead).

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
You probably just put the pedal down before the TCU had registered a complete shift into drive with the ECU. Almost exactly the same thing happened in my C class a few years ago, there was and is no problem with it, I can replicate the same thing anytime by repeating the quick shift. Safety feauture I'm guessing.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by Kevwood
You probably just put the pedal down before the TCU had registered a complete shift into drive with the ECU. Almost exactly the same thing happened in my C class a few years ago, there was and is no problem with it, I can replicate the same thing anytime by repeating the quick shift. Safety feauture I'm guessing.

Thanks Kevwood, but assuming ur TCU registered a complete shift, what should happen when flooring the pedal from a stand point?

and any thoughts related to the MAF issue i described at the end of the topic?
Thanks again
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by boull
Thanks Kevwood, but assuming ur TCU registered a complete shift, what should happen when flooring the pedal from a stand point?

and any thoughts related to the MAF issue i described at the end of the topic?
Thanks again
Well, if a complete shift was registered the car would have accelerated I imagine right? I'm sure that the complete shift was not registered and the car prevented the rpm from climbing and resulting in a (forgive the old phrase) neutral drop situation.

As for the other issue, certainly could be the MAF. I felt like my car slightly surged while highway cruising and has an intermittent shudder at an idle, after I removed and cleaned my MAF everything was a-okay. If you are going to clean the MAF, make sure you use a proper electrical contact cleaner that is residue-free.

Best of luck
Old 09-06-2011, 09:51 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Well, if a complete shift was registered the car would have accelerated I imagine right? I'm sure that the complete shift was not registered and the car prevented the rpm from climbing and resulting in a (forgive the old phrase) neutral drop situation.

As for the other issue, certainly could be the MAF. I felt like my car slightly surged while highway cruising and has an intermittent shudder at an idle, after I removed and cleaned my MAF everything was a-okay. If you are going to clean the MAF, make sure you use a proper electrical contact cleaner that is residue-free.

Best of luck

Thanks again. will try cleaning the MAF.

One more thing, from a stand point (0Km/Hr), and a kickdown to the pedal, would you have a wheel spin that would be controlled by ESP or would the car launch slowly and accelerate on higher RPMs?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again. will try cleaning the MAF.

One more thing, from a stand point (0Km/Hr), and a kickdown to the pedal, would you have a wheel spin that would be controlled by ESP or would the car launch slowly and accelerate on higher RPMs?
My 500? Wheel spin immediately controlled by ESP that cuts engine power down to nothing and a slow acceleration for a second or two. The ESP on our cars is really awful, thats why I'm trying to bring a LSD into Dubai for my car. Even with the mods I have launching the car is a PITA unless I'm in dyno mode - I can't even imagine the nightmare it'll be after the supercharger

Don't forget, no residue contact cleaner!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
My 500? Wheel spin immediately controlled by ESP that cuts engine power down to nothing and a slow acceleration for a second or two. The ESP on our cars is really awful, thats why I'm trying to bring a LSD into Dubai for my car. Even with the mods I have launching the car is a PITA unless I'm in dyno mode - I can't even imagine the nightmare it'll be after the supercharger

Don't forget, no residue contact cleaner!

That's something i am facing now. On stand point, as if i`m driving a Prius! i guess that can be because of the MAF. so i`ll go step by step and hopefully the MAF would fix everything from my side.

Kevwood thanks again man. btw, ur 3 hours in plane from Beirut, hit it up on ur vacation time, this month would be a blast, in case u came, u have a CLK here (well not 500!!) that can cruise u around town
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's something i am facing now. On stand point, as if i`m driving a Prius! i guess that can be because of the MAF. so i`ll go step by step and hopefully the MAF would fix everything from my side.

Kevwood thanks again man. btw, ur 3 hours in plane from Beirut, hit it up on ur vacation time, this month would be a blast, in case u came, u have a CLK here (well not 500!!) that can cruise u around town
Ah, another 209 member from Beirut! For sure we'll get together when I'm there next, Beirut is by far one of my favorite party spots on the planet! Everything in Beirut is beautiful

Same offer to you next time you find yourself in Dubai mate
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
If this only happen one time then my guess would be like KEV explained. But if it continue to happen again, my guess is the gas/accelerator paddle issue.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Happend to me today..... pulling out of parking garage.... car drives fine.... then take a right hand turn.... and no power..... you push the gas pedal down and car just barely rev's.... with gas pedal matted...... hmmmmmm....... pulled over and shut car off.... then restart.... and all good. I'm guessing ECU had a temporary issue... or perhaps the gas pedal wire-less system temp problem.... or maybe my drive by wire sensor in the gas pedal is going .... or maybe the TB motor is going out..... ??? is this common..... or just a one time thing?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
One time ECU/TCU brain fart! Common.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##$##

Glyn - did same thing this morning... no power. like trans not engaging.... shut car off.... then all normal.

No CEL's. Will check STAR system tonight.

Is it trannie rebuild time?

Pardon -thread jack
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I doubt it - Even happens on the old 722.6 like boull's. It happened to me twice in the 8 years I had my C240.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Glyn - thanks buddy.... just tried again today after work.... cannot repeat the issue.... so I'll keep my head in the sand and drive-on!