CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Urgent help, car wont start. Did a search

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Urgent help, car wont start. Did a search

Hey guys,

Sorry if i may have missed a thread about this but i have patiently searched. Today i tried to start my w209 but it seems the battery was dead. I managed to climb through the trunk to get hood opened. A buddy of mine pulled in his car, we gave the battery a bit of charge. I jumped in the car and tried to start it, the dashboard lit up and as i proceeded to ignite the engine there was a click and a the dashboard lit-up lighter but the car did not start.

If the battery was completely drained is it possible that it wont start at all? The power seems to be there as the cars dashboard lits up. Could it be the alternator? Any signs to sell. Its pouring rain in NY so ill be checking the fuse box tomorrow to see maybe thats the culprit but would appreciate some brainstorming ideas.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Be careful jump starting it as MBZ's electronics can be very finicky and it;s easy to fry a SAM or two. Having given you that caveat, try disconnecting your dead battery's negative cable (i.e. take it out of the loop) and then try to jump start the car. I used to have to do this when I worked at the dealership and needed to pull a car off the "back lot" and jump it using a portable booster pack.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Just had a very similar problem. Dash lit up like normal, battery only 'bout 6 months old and only a click from the starter. Then I try it a couple more times and it starts. Got it in to the dealer and it would not start for them at all. All electrical systems appeared normal. Turns out it was a bad starter motor. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

I would check to see if that is your issue.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM

CLK
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Be careful jump starting it as MBZ's electronics can be very finicky and it;s easy to fry a SAM or two. Having given you that caveat, try disconnecting your dead battery's negative cable (i.e. take it out of the loop) and then try to jump start the car. I used to have to do this when I worked at the dealership and needed to pull a car off the "back lot" and jump it using a portable booster pack.
I had a feeling it may be something with the fuses maybe, ill check the box today. Ill also try to taking off the negative from the loop, from what i understand it attaches near one of the strut bolts. Should i ground the negative jump start cable to the engine block then?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM

CLK
Originally Posted by mnje350
Just had a very similar problem. Dash lit up like normal, battery only 'bout 6 months old and only a click from the starter. Then I try it a couple more times and it starts. Got it in to the dealer and it would not start for them at all. All electrical systems appeared normal. Turns out it was a bad starter motor. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

I would check to see if that is your issue.
Here is the only issue, when i got to the car it was dead. I could not even open the doors i had to climb through the trunk. The only time the dashboard lit up was only after i connected the jump start cables. But it seems like either a ) battery is not getting enough juice and totally screwed b) there is something wrong with a fuse
Old 11-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
How old is the battery? Perhaps all you have is a dead batt.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by michaelnovikov
I had a feeling it may be something with the fuses maybe, ill check the box today. Ill also try to taking off the negative from the loop, from what i understand it attaches near one of the strut bolts. Should i ground the negative jump start cable to the engine block then?
No, you can still connect your jumper cable to the bolt where the ground cable is bolted to the shock tower.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM

CLK
Tried a few different methods including the advice given here, the damn thing wont start. The power is there so it may be the alternator then. Im towing it tomorrow and will give an update. Thanks for all the great advice and help
Old 12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
So, you disconnected the negative lead from your battery, then tried to jump-start it from another running vehicle and it did not start? That does not sound like a battery or alternator problem; that's vehicle electronics or the starter.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 AM

CLK
Originally Posted by Rudeney
So, you disconnected the negative lead from your battery, then tried to jump-start it from another running vehicle and it did not start? That does not sound like a battery or alternator problem; that's vehicle electronics or the starter.
I thought the same thing so i decided to ask a close shop near me to bring a booster pack. Ironically enough it started up right away without even disconnecting the negative lead from the battery.

Prior to that i tried to start the car with another car running (both an Altima 2011 and Lexus GX 2011) but none of them got it to go. Tried alternative methods so for those stuck in the same predicament in the future, using a portable jump start box fully charged up can actually bring better results.

The car started literally almost instantly after plugging the booster pack. The shop did recommend to replace the battery though. Is it better to go with an OEM battery or an off the shelf solution at strauss can do the same job? I heard the OEM is about $300 and something in strauss can cost $100-$150.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
If it fits the battery box, clamps down and has the right cca it doesn't matter what brand it is.