CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by MB Dave
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...rms_mobil1.htm

See like nothing has changed around here good ol Glyn still being a ...., well he knows what he is.
And you don't realise that that Amsoil is comparing apples with pears - They are not testing against Mobil 1 0W-40 Eurograde as approved by Benz & they are testing properties that are irrelevant to PCMO formulation. A really dumb marketing ploy. You obviously had difficulty in reading the link so I post a small exerpt. Quit the name calling. I have never reciprocated. This is not the OT. This is a technical forum.

Quote.

"Lets keep this simple & understandable

1) I am not saying Mobil 1 Euro formulation is the best PCMO - it is a very fine product & readily available in the US. I am saying for your Petrol Benz choose from the list of 229.5 approved oils. For your Diesel Benz passenger car choose from the list of 229.51 approved oils. I run my company's approved Havoline BM Fully Synthetic Euro formulation SAE 5W-40 in my car which is not available in the US or our wholly owned additive company's 229.5 racing formulation that is not available to the public - a perk of the job. Even if it were available I would not recommend it for general use or in locations that experience low temperatures because it is optimised for high temperature only and will not perform well in cold temperatures or combat low temperature sludge well. I live in a hot country so I can get away with it. Buy your approved oils from a well recognised major. They have the largest research budgets.
2) If you read the Definitive... thread. 229.5 & 229.51 oils are mutually exclusive. Benz has mandated that no one oil can claim meeting both specs. 229.5 oils are for petrol passenger car - Ash limits > 0.8 to 1.6%. 229.51 oils are for passenger car diesel with cat & particulate filters - Ash limit < 0.8%. Ash is a good indication of how much additive is in an oil (antiwear - dispersant - detergeant etc). The Amsoil 229.51 product will fail the 229.5 test criteria as a result.
3) Diesel engines do not rev as highly as petrol engines due to the combustion process. They don't run aggressive cam profiles like a petrol engine either. Thus HTHS & higher levels of antiwear to protect the cam & tappet area are less of an issue than in petrol engines.
4)Regarding TBN - You require as much TBN as you require & no more - more is not better if you don't have enough sulphur in the fuel to offset/neutralise it. TBN (alkalinity of an oil formulation) is there to offset the deleterious effects of combustion acids mainly driven by the sulphur content of the fuel. Basic chemistry tells us that a strong alkali is as damaging as a strong acid when it comes to corrosive effects on metals. So we don't want more TBN reserve than is necessary. I have never seen a long drain oil sample from a Benz petrol engine that has its TBN totally depleted. You or Amsoil are trying to use a mainly diesel driven positive/requirement & trying to relate it to a PCMO to somehow try & suggest this means higher TBN = better - not so.
5) We have already discussed that the Shell 4 Ball test is inappropriate for PCMOs & in fact the FZG or similar test is better for simulating gear wear. The 4 Ball correlates with very little seen in actual operating equipment. Very useful to BS & mislead the gullible public on trade show stands etc.
6) Noack values of an oil are an indication of the evapourative loss one can expect from the base fluid in an engine oil which leads to that oil thickening as a result of loss of its light ends. This is an issue in highly stressed and hot running diesel engines such as the Deutz air-cooled. It is not an issue in passenger car engine oils & the synthetic base oils used in Merc 229.5 approved products - usually PAO, display excellent Noacks anyway. I have never seen an oil sample from a Benz, racing or otherwise, that has suffered evapourative thickening.
7) 229.5 oils are an excellent choice for Turbo or SC vehicles. The most important requirement of an oil for these applications is oxidation stability to prevent deposit build up in the bearings of a TC for instance. Due to their required base fluid choice & formulation - 229.5 oils have superb oxidation stability. One of the reasons they can do 20,000 Km or 13,000 miles without a problem with proper filtration.
8) Regarding operating oil temperatures. Lower temperatures are mainly a result of the viscometrics. Pumping, shearing & churning of oils generate heat. Thinner oils will generally give you some temperature drop as would oils that shear out of grade with resultant viscosity drop - not a good thing. Reduced bulk oil temperature is not necessarily a good thing either. Many manufacturers like VW/Audi/Lambo etc control their bulk oil temp at around 130 degrees Celsius which is high because this increases engine efficiency.
9) I am not going to get into bashing Bobistheoilguy - It's fruitless. I have seen rubbish spoken by them about base fluids etc. I think good advice is - don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it is in print. The internet is a wonderful resource but there is a lot of crap out there. You need to sort the wheat from the chaff. Something I have been bashing into my staff for years. Don't believe everything you read. Question it!"

unquote

My recommendations are well founded & are given in an endeavour to see that members enjoy a long & trouble free life from their Mercs. Oil is not just oil.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
This should be made a sticky, and a closed thread, after it's determined whether the stuff should be used or not. I once heard "if there's something in a bottle for $X that'll make a car that cost $Y that much better, there's a problem with this country" Granted, Glyn and I are from different countries, but whatever....
Old 03-18-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C320
I really don't understand some of the attitudes on these forums toward these cars. They are nothing ridiculous. I have poured Seafoam into EVERY car I have owned for the last 5 years. Included is an Audi A4, 2000 Corvette, 1998 Z28, Lexus RX330, and a 2000 Dodge Viper. All ran better and got improved gas mileage after the treatment. None had a single problem. Just because Mercedes doesn't "recommend" it specifically does not mean it is not beneficial. What exactly do you guys think it will do to these cars that it will not do to any other brand?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
To each his own....
Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed! May the ignorant do as they wish.

See post #7

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...1-seafoam.html

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-18-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 PM

2003 C320
With all due respect to the guy that posted it.....the dealer is full of crap. Diesel engines can run on all types of stuff. ATF, Waste oil, vegetable oil, kerosene, jet fuel, and diesel fuel. Seafoam is specifically formulated to work in a diesel engine. There is NO way that a can of Seafoam ruined a diesel engine.

What probably happened was that the engine failed and the dumbass owner happened to mention putting a can of Seafoam in it. Instead of admitting that they manufactured something that failed, they blame the Seafoam and don't honor the warranty.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 02gixxersix
With all due respect to the guy that posted it.....the dealer is full of crap. Diesel engines can run on all types of stuff. ATF, Waste oil, vegetable oil, kerosene, jet fuel, and diesel fuel. Seafoam is specifically formulated to work in a diesel engine. There is NO way that a can of Seafoam ruined a diesel engine.
warranty.
Glyn, do diesels run well on gasoline or ethanol?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Certainly they do not. They will not run on anything with low auto ignition values without severe damage. This is purely a Cetane value/combustion/uncontrolled detonation issue.

The other issue that comes to the fore with the modern diesel with very high pressure systems >2000 bar and amplifier injectors is complete intolerance of any contamination of the fuel be it particulate, water or any substance that effects the lubricity of the fuel negatively. The HP pumps & injectors simply seize. This is why manufacturers are fitting run dry protection to these engines & having filtration issues. These engines require squeaky clean, on spec diesel.

I was having this very conversation with one of the senior VP's at Donaldson a few weeks back.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-19-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Years ago, back in the days of the W123 diesels, people in very cold climates would run about a gallon of gasoline in a tank of diesel to help keep it from getting sludgy. Those engines were pretty hardy and could take most anything. I know a guy that lives a few neighborhoods over that run pure used cooking oil one.

Now having said that, would I do that in a modern diesel engine? Hell No! And no, I would not put Seafoam or any other additive in my car. I put the fuel MBZ recommends into my tank and that's it.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Rudeney
...pure used cooking oil one...
Inredible what those things will run on, I've heard of a lot but the cooking oil is a new one.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Very old diesels will run on sunflower oil. But don't expect this to be a long trouble free experience. It goo's everything up over time with horrendous deposits that usually lead to seizure. The best way to burn sunflower oil in diesels is to convert them to spark ignition. Been there, done that under proper laboratory controlled conditions.

The esters of sunflower oil however, produce a reasonable diesel to which one needs to add a lubricity agent. The production of esters of sunflower oil is so expensive as to render the whole exercise a waste of time.

Lubricating oils are not designed to handle vegetable oil deposits either.

Benz has always allowed the addition of a small proportion of gasoline to diesel in very cold climates to aid starting & prevent fuel waxing. This is not allowed in the latest generation engines.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-20-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

The Present Stance

Attached Thumbnails Seafoam-benz-fuel-additives.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL600 W216
Originally Posted by MB Dave
Did a full seafoam treatment on 500 once I reached the 100k mark, and wow does this stuff work. I did the works. 3/4 can in the crank, 3/4 via vacuum tube, 3/4 can to the gas tank. After a oil change and fresh tank o'gas the car pulls like its been reborn. This should be a must for cars with some miles under the belt.
Hello I have 2006 cls 500 and I want to sea foam it it has 144K miles never seafoamed wich vacuum tube did you use??
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pewter W211
I have not used Seafoam in my MB yet but I have used it in every single car and motorcycle I've owned in the past ten years. The stuff is amazing, it clears all the crap and deposits out of the system and the cars always end up running better after it's been used.

You can only buy the "MB Approved" products if you want as every manufacturer has their list or you can just buy what works. I'm not going to buy something just because a company is a partner of MB.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL600 W216
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I have not used Seafoam in my MB yet but I have used it in every single car and motorcycle I've owned in the past ten years. The stuff is amazing, it clears all the crap and deposits out of the system and the cars always end up running better after it's been used.

You can only buy the "MB Approved" products if you want as every manufacturer has their list or you can just buy what works. I'm not going to buy something just because a company is a partner of MB.
Yes I already bought sea foam and I gonna try it
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
The irony is that I used Seafoam for years on my Limited Crossfire (Mercedes M112 naturally aspirated motor) and had zero issues, and the car always ran extremely strong.

When I bought the SRT-6 (AMG 3.2 Kompressor motor) I stopped using Seafoam per the advice of this very thread. I figured with the added complexity of the motor, I should stick to approved MB fuel system treatments.

So, a month ago, I added the 20 oz bottle of Techron Concentrate:

Guess what? After I ran the full tank though, I immediately got a rough idle issue and the P0105 code. MAP sensor is now toast.

I thought, surely the approved cleaner didn't cause the error?

Then I read this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/4603843-post1.html

So, while I know there's a list of approved fluids, I also know that automotive corporations make $BILLIONS on service parts. I know, as I work in the service/export parts division of Nissan North America.

Many automotive corporations design their parts to break after a given time period. Parts are torture tested and designed well enough to survive the warranty period. After that, there's a great hope that the parts will break, as that's additional money for the company. Especially if it's an exclusive part that the aftermarket hasn't quite perfected yet (which, in the case of Mercedes, is a vast majority of the parts).

Could it be that Mercedes approves certain fluids because they know the wear will occur faster with Mobil-1 instead of, say, Amsoil?

Automotive corporations are in it for profit. They make a very small margin on each vehicle sold, but they make HUGE profits on service parts. Why recommend Amsoil when Mobil will wear out bearings faster? Why recommend Seafoam when Techron eats sensors?

Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Techron does not get anywhere near your MAF. It sees no fuel so that was not the issue. The MAF sees air. A case of flat wheel syndrome. "I changed the oil & suffered a flat wheel!"

As for recommending & approving fluids/oils that cause wear. I can assure you that quite the opposite is true. One of the reasons that Benz takes HTHS so seriously in engine oils. Cam & tappet protection.

A member with a diesel ML recently had his warranty nullified due to adding Seafoam to his fuel & ruining the injection system in the process.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
A can of Seafoam sits in my garage, unopened. Reading Glyn's information means that unopened can will end up being a "Pickers" item in 25 or so years. Having seen so many of Glyn's posts, this is a man who knows of what he speaks. And I have to believe somebody.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 AM

Drives an 08 CLK 550 cab, 2013 E350 sport 4matic, 08 Malibu V6
Castrol Edge SPT 5w40 for 2009 CLK550??

Any thoughts on using Castrol Edge SPT 5W40 (229.3 spec) on my recently purchased 2008 CLK550? Will the 5W40 perform/protect as well as Castrol Edge SPT 0W30 that is 229.5 spec? Does 229.3 meet warranty requirements for the 08 CLK ?

FYI, the car currently has 33,000miles on the odometer. Oil change intervals will never exceed 6000miles......once per year after winter storage. I'm asking because I picked up 9 litres of Castol Edge SPT 5W40 at a 50% discount.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
There is nothing unique about Benz Cats on cars destined for the US at present. Their new 3 way Cat is proprietary but can not be used with the high sulphur fuels in the US without producing benzenes at the tailpipe (a carcinogen) They require a minimum of Euro 5 fuels.

What we don't know is the effect of Seafoam on all Cats. Sometimes the damage done will take a long while to show itself in shortened life due to poisening.

Benz has zero financial interest in endorsing products. The program costs them money. They are confident that it saves them on warranty claims & if you are caught using non approved products they will terminate your Warranty & Mobilodrive maintenance plan which runs 6 years or 120,000Km outside the US. One IR scan will validate this. The program is of great benefit to customers. One of the major issues with 229.5 products is meeting HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) limits imposed by Benz which has a direct influence on cam & tappet wear. This is where many oils on the market fail. Even certain Mobil 1 formulations.

I only used Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formulation as an example & because I don't work for Exxon Mobil.

Here is the latest dump of 229.5 approved products. No favouritism there.

229.5 Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5)

Last update: 12/05/2011
PRODUCTNAME 0W-30 0W-40 5W-30 5W-40 PRINCIPAL
76 PURE SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL, SAE 5W-40 x ConocoPhillips, PONCA CITY, OK/USA
8100 X-cess MOTUL SAE 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
ADDINOL SUPER POWER MV 0537 x Addinol Lube Oil GmbH, Leuna/Deutschland
AeroShell Oil Diesel Ultra x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Agip SYNTHETIC PC SAE 5W-40 x ENI S.p.A. - Refining & Marketing Division, ROM/ITALY
ALPINE Longlife SAE 5W-30 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
Alpine RS 0W40 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
ARAL HIGH TRONIC M SAE 5W-40 x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL HighTronic M SAE 5W-30 x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL SUPER TRONIC G x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL SuperSynth x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ASTRIS MAGIS SAE 5W-40 x Astris S.A., 6745 GIORNICO/Schweiz
AVIASYNTH 5W-40 x Avia Mineralöl-AG, München/Deutschland
Biloxxi 5W-30 x MCC Trading Deutschland GmbH, Düsseldorf/Deutschland
bp superV Plus 5W-40 x BP p.l.c., LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
bp Visco 5000 5W-30 x BP p.l.c., LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge Professional A3 5W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE PROFESSIONAL A3 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional Diesel 5W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE TITANIUM 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge with SPT SAE 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Magnatec Professional A3 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol SLX Professional Longtec 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol SLX Professional Longtec 0W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
CEPSA star 5W40 SYNTHETIC x Cepsa Lubricantes, S.A., MADRID/SPAIN
Cepsa Star Mega Synthetic 0W-30 x Cepsa Lubricantes, S.A., MADRID/SPAIN
Chevron Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Consol Ultra x Vial Oil Ltd., FRYAZINO, Moscow region/RUSSIA
Divinol syntholight MBX SAE 5W-30 x Zeller+Gmelin GmbH & Co. KG, Eislingen/Deutschland
elf EXCELLIUM 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full-Tech 5W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full-Tech 5W-40 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Engen Xtreme Syn 5W-40 x Engen Petroleum Ltd., JOHANNESBURG 2000/REPUBLIC of SOUTHAFRICA
Everyday Full Synthetic 5W-40 x Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, WANTIRNA SOUTH/AUSTRALIA
EVOLUTION OEM Series I 5W-30 x TOP 1 Oil Products, San Mateo, CA/USA
EVOLUTION OEM Series I 5W-40 x TOP 1 Oil Products, San Mateo, CA/USA
Fastroil Premium Plus SAE 5W-40 x HILL Corporation, Shymkent/KAZAKHSTAN
Fina FIRST 600 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE 5W-40 x Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn Longlife SAE 5W-30 x Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
G-Energy F Synth 5W-30 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
G-Energy F Synth 5W-40 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
G-Energy Service Line MS 5W-30 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
GALP Active 3000 M 5W40 x Petrogal S.A., LISSABON/PORTUGAL
GALP FÓRMULA XLD SAE 5W-40 x Petrogal S.A., LISSABON/PORTUGAL
Gulf Formula GMX x Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
Gulf Formula GX x x Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
Havoline Ultra BM x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Kendall GT-1 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL x ConocoPhillips, PONCA CITY, OK/USA
LIQUI MOLY 5W-40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH x Liqui Moly GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
LOTOS SYNTHETIC PLUS SAE 5W40 x Grupa Lotos SA., GDANSK/POLAND
LOTOS SYNTHETIC TURBODIESEL PLUS 5W40 x Grupa Lotos SA., GDANSK/POLAND
LubriGold Full Synthetic 5W-40 x Warren Oil Company, Inc., WEST MEMPHIS, AR 72303-2048/USA
LUKOIL LUXE MC x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
LUKOIL LUXE Synthetic x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
master oil v-tec Premium 0W-40 x Interparts Autoteile GmbH, Stuttgart/Deutschland
MB 229.5 Motorenöl A 000 989 83 01 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
megol Motorenoel High Condition x Meguin GmbH & Co. KG Mineraloelwerke, Saarlouis/Deutschland
Mercedes-Benz PKW-Synthetic Motorenöl Blatt 229.5 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Midland Synqron x Oel-Brack AG, HUNZENSCHWIL/Schweiz
Mitan Alpine RS 0W-40 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
Mobil 1 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Arctic 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil Super 3000 Formula M 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Motul 8100 X-max 5W-30 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
Motul 8100 X-max 5W-40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
Motul Synergie Tech+ 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
OMV BIXXOL special BM SAE 5W-40 x OMV Refining & Marketing GmbH, VIENNA/Österreich
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
PENRITE HPR 5 5W-40 x Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, WANTIRNA SOUTH/AUSTRALIA
Pento High Performance 5W-30 x Deutsche Pentosin-Werke GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Premium Synthetik Motorenöl x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Q European Engine Ultra x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Q Horsepower Full Synthetic x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Quaker State Synquest x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
real,- Quality GSR 5W-30 x real,- Handels GmbH, Düsseldorf/Deutschland
REPSOL ELITE Common Rail 5W30 x Repsol YPF Lubricantes y Especialidades, S.A., MOSTOLES - MADRID/SPAIN
ROWE SYNT RS SAE 5W-30 HC-D x ROWE Mineralölwerk GmbH, Bubenheim/Deutschland
ROWE SYNT RS SAE 5W-40 HC-D x ROWE Mineralölwerk GmbH, Bubenheim/Deutschland
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra x x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra E x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix HX8 x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix HX8 C x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra x x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra AB x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra C x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra E x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra Extra Polar x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
smart Motoröl 5W-30 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
SRS ViVA 1 Longlife x SRS Schmierstoff Vertrieb GmbH, Salzbergen/Deutschland
Statoil LazerWay 5W-40 x Svenska Statoil AB, STOCKHOLM/SWEDEN
Statoil LazerWay TDI 5W-40 x Svenska Statoil AB, STOCKHOLM/SWEDEN
SynPower HST x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
SYNTIUM 3000 x PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, KUALA LAMPUR/MALAYSIA
TAMOIL SINT FUTURE RACING x Tamoil Italia S.p.A., MILANO/ITALY
TECAR Special M Motorenöl 5W-30 x Techno - Einkauf GmbH, Norderstedt/Deutschland
Texaco Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
TNK Magnum Ultratec x TNK Lubricants, LLC, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
Total Activa Energy 9000 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Valvoline SynPower HST x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Westfalen Gigatron 0W-40 x Westfalen AG, Münster/Deutschland
YACCO VX 1600 0W30 x Yacco SAS, ST PIERRE LES ELBEUF/FRANCE
ZIC XQ 5W-30 x SK Lubricants, DAEJEON/Rep. of KOREA
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

If you halve the drain interval you can get away with 229.3 oils but long term please use 229.5 products. They are much better. 229.3 oils do not meet the warranty requirements of any 2008 MB at specified drain.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM

Drives an 08 CLK 550 cab, 2013 E350 sport 4matic, 08 Malibu V6
Castrol Edge SPT 5w40

The auto store will allow me to exchange the Castrol 5W40 Castrol Edge SPT for either Castro Edge SPT 0W30 or Valvoline Synpower 5W40 which are both 229.5 compliant. Any thoughts on those oils..... are they a match for the Mobil 1 229.5 compliant products? In the end, I can simply return the Castrol oil and buy the Mobil 1 229.5 spec oil.

BTW: I believe my area MB service centre only uses Mobil 1 5w40.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If you halve the drain interval you can get away with 229.3 oils but long term please use 229.5 products. They are much better. 229.3 oils do not meet the warranty requirements of any 2008 MB at specified drain.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Any 229.5 approved oil is just fine. If you are in a very cold area use the 0W-30 otherwise use one of the 0W-40's or 5W-40's.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-31-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Years ago, back in the days of the W123 diesels, people in very cold climates would run about a gallon of gasoline in a tank of diesel to help keep it from getting sludgy. Those engines were pretty hardy and could take most anything. I know a guy that lives a few neighborhoods over that run pure used cooking oil one.

Now having said that, would I do that in a modern diesel engine? Hell No! And no, I would not put Seafoam or any other additive in my car. I put the fuel MBZ recommends into my tank and that's it.
Wow, I am glad to see the knowledge level of the discourse on this thread and the passion of the posters simply indicates to me that this forum is going to be a viable knowledge source for years to come.

That said, I have used Seafoam in my restored Toyota diesel 4x4, both in the original inline 1980 4cyl diesel and in the 1999 in line 6cyl Toyota diesel that I swapped into it. I used Seafoam in the diesel application for 3 years , no issues, though the caveat must be said that I specifically chose a diesel engine for the swap that did NOT have higher pressure injection and filtration issues of its more high strung cousins because I wanted to retain the flexibility to run alternative fuels. It is a great product in that application.

On the petrol side I have also used Seafoam in a much higher revving 1ZZ engine which had oil burning issues, a great help and later in the 2ZZ engine that I swapped into the vehicle. Sadly due to a car meet deer issue I was only able to see 2 years worth of use running this product. Neither petrol engine saw damage using the Seafoam additive but admittedly it was a very limited run not under anything approaching laboratory conditions. I am very interested in how this debate is resolved for these engines. Subscribed.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Don't even think of putting Seafoam into a modern Benz ultra high pressure diesel injection system with amplifier injectors. Very different animals to the forgiving old Toyota LP units.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Since this thread is still alive & kicking (Simple Minds really did rock didn't they?) I'll pose this question to Glyn;

I bought the MB fuel additive that claims to clean up the valves and piston tops, the service dealer suggested that I use 2 cans for the first treatment (one can treats 65 litres) then 1 can the next fill up since I have not done it before.

So, good info? Does (in your experience) this stuff work well in cleaning up the carbon on the valves & pistons?

Cheers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seafoam