CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Glyn, your description reminds me of photos my father showed me of city water tanks. He's was (well, still is as a consultant) an engineer for water pressure/storage tanks. His specialty was elevated water tanks built mostly in the 1950's and 1960's. As these tanks aged, they called on him to inspect them and specify the necessary repairs. He showed me photos of them empty of water, but with feet of deep "muck" on the bottom - a combination of rust, minerals, and maybe some bird poo, and unless there were customer-installed filters, there was nothing between than and the kitchen faucet. I can only imagine how "mucky" fuel tanks could be. Which reminds me, I actually have a new filter for the C240, but have just been too lazy to install it...
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Thanks, you've helped me with a short list of things to do. Haven't done a throttle reset.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If you are getting no fuel trim codes the MAF should be OK. You should clean it with MAF cleaner & clean the throttle body.

The M112/113 engines usually need a new set of plug wires at your mileage but you will get misfire codes stored.

One thing that can get very fouled up on these engines at high mileage is the inlet manifold variable runner system & flaps between the MAF and the inlet valves where the fuel & additive can't get to clean. To fix this requires inlet manifold removal & physical cleaning.

When last did you do a throttle reset?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Glyn, your description reminds me of photos my father showed me of city water tanks. He's was (well, still is as a consultant) an engineer for water pressure/storage tanks. His specialty was elevated water tanks built mostly in the 1950's and 1960's. As these tanks aged, they called on him to inspect them and specify the necessary repairs. He showed me photos of them empty of water, but with feet of deep "muck" on the bottom - a combination of rust, minerals, and maybe some bird poo, and unless there were customer-installed filters, there was nothing between than and the kitchen faucet. I can only imagine how "mucky" fuel tanks could be. Which reminds me, I actually have a new filter for the C240, but have just been too lazy to install it...
Yeah Rodney. Some of our tanks I've seen cleaned have been awful & we have a proper program in place. Rust, sand, suphur reducing bacteria where water is present, all sorts of fines, dead birds (go figure) etc.

Fuels containing alcohol can initially make tanks worse because they lift crap out of pipelines etc but once in the system they lead to better cleanliness as they either vacuum up any water (or of course phase separate if you have too much water & the alcohol dumps out & joins the water phase)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB Dave
Yes yes, mb recommends Mobil 1. I flip between Amsoil and Royal Purple. Both are superior to Mobile 1. Yet neither are recommended.

MB also recommends I have my repairs done at the Dealership

The fact is there is no other on shelf product that I can add via vacuum line to clean the gunk out.
How dare you question God above!
Mercedes DOES have financial interests in certain products, Mobile 1 is a supplier to MB directly for new vehicles and service… MB gets a hefty discount. The super-mod oil guy speaks about MB products in superlatives… MB is really not that different than other makes when it comes down to it, and quite a bit of components are supplied by and shared with other manufacturers. I’ve used sea foam in a vacuum line MANY times, works great, and so does my 55AMG still, even after 6 years of sea foaming.