CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
Seafoam

Did a full seafoam treatment on 500 once I reached the 100k mark, and wow does this stuff work. I did the works. 3/4 can in the crank, 3/4 via vacuum tube, 3/4 can to the gas tank. After a oil change and fresh tank o'gas the car pulls like its been reborn. This should be a must for cars with some miles under the belt.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
would it work if it put a can in the gastank?

would i need to it in the crank and vac tube?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Let me know how it goes...might need to do this in the future
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I would not put it in the Gas tank under any circumstances - use Techron, it is all Benz & Volvo approves & is packed as a Benz P/N or commercially available from Chevron outlets etc. I personally would not put it in the engine either but that's me. Putting crap like that in the oil is not approved by Benz & can damage your Cat convertors. I am speaking from an oil man's perspective.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Guys - If you feel your inlet system, fuel system & combustion chambers are a little fouled up use Techron Concentrate in the fuel. If you feel your crankcase is fouled due to high mileage take a 229.5 approved engine oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formulation which is highly detergent and halve your drain interval twice. At each midway change it is not necessary to change the oil filter. This is guaranteed to clean things up safely.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
How do you know that SeaFoam will do harm? Is it possible that it will not and MB hasn't approved it b/c they haven't tested it? You're speaking in absolutes, so I'd like to understand the basis for the conclusion.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by bheng
would it work if it put a can in the gastank?

would i need to it in the crank and vac tube?
Have always been a believer in Marvel Mystery Oil. If it can clear carbon and be safe for piston aircraft engines it's good for any engine. Some even put it in the crankcase. I have only added it to fuel systems to clean them. Works like a charm. I have heard a lot of good things about seafoam though.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

If Seafoam wants their products considered by Benz they must submit them for evaluation. They might pass the test regimes but there is an excellent chance they will fail. The rejection rate is large. Seafoam states that their product is nothing but a base oil - with a level of solvency to it. Well that is true of all base oils petroleum or synthetic in any base oil grouping to a greater or lesser degree, so why use it? Base oil selection is crucial to meeting many Benz standards & the oil company has considered that. Benz gasoline oil spec 229.5 which applies to our cars is exclusively for top grade synthetics so why would varnish be an issue? I can assure you it's not. Seafoam's primary claim is varnish removal. The age of vehicles shown on their gasoline FAQ site would seem where this product belongs. Techron will not permit any varnish in a fuel system either.

I have worked on and off with Benz over a 39 year major oilco career on their approvals program. It costs us as an industry a lot of money to develop products that comply with Benz requirements. I believe in the program implicitly. We have tested a bucket full of aftermarket products in our labs around the world & some that people swear by are awful. Furthermore some "additives" do no harm in some engine designs, as an example, while displaying negative consequences in others. 99% of this broad spectrum of additives takes the product they are being added to out of spec in an undesirable fashion.

Benz spends millions of dollars on the OE & Service Products testing & approvals process to sort out what is best for their cars/trucks/busses etc. manufactured with the materials they use & to protect their customers. Then somebody pours some crap into the carefully balanced & approved engine oil formulation & takes it out of spec while at the same time risking the vehicle’s Cats. Equally the modern high pressure fuel injection system is sensitive to many compounds. The fact that Benz has approved but a single fuel system additive to date from a large number of products tested should be proof enough of their concerns.

The responsible action on a public forum is to advise as I have & will continue to do so. Should people choose to ignore this advice it is their prerogative. My advice in post #5 stands.

I did not post to be contentious - I'm new to the CLK forum. I have made similar posts over the years on many of the model forums here. You are welcome to judge my technical competence by hitting the "other posts by" link on my profile. You might find my Definitive engine oil thread interesting.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM

What makes an MB catalyst so unique from those found in every other vehicle on the road that it would not handle SeaFoam?

What's the probability that MB has a financial interest in endorsing specific products? Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 for example, but there are other oils that meet or exceed the competitive specifications.

Last edited by boschk; 12-07-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by boschk
How do you know that SeaFoam will do harm? Is it possible that it will not and MB hasn't approved it b/c they haven't tested it? You're speaking in absolutes, so I'd like to understand the basis for the conclusion.
I'm not speaking in absolutes. I don't know it will do harm but non of us know the answer to that so why risk it. Non of us know it will do any good either. I'm not interested in peoples butt dyno's.

My recommendation is proven in exhaustive testing & is approved by Benz.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by boschk
What makes an MB catalyst so unique from those found in every other vehicle on the road that it would not handle SeaFoam?

What's the probability that MB has a financial interest in endorsing specific products? Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 for example, but there are other oils that meet or exceed the competitive specifications.
There is nothing unique about Benz Cats on cars destined for the US at present. Their new 3 way Cat is proprietary but can not be used with the high sulphur fuels in the US without producing benzenes at the tailpipe (a carcinogen) They require a minimum of Euro 5 fuels.

What we don't know is the effect of Seafoam on all Cats. Sometimes the damage done will take a long while to show itself in shortened life due to poisening.

Benz has zero financial interest in endorsing products. The program costs them money. They are confident that it saves them on warranty claims & if you are caught using non approved products they will terminate your Warranty & Mobilodrive maintenance plan which runs 6 years or 120,000Km outside the US. One IR scan will validate this. The program is of great benefit to customers. One of the major issues with 229.5 products is meeting HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) limits imposed by Benz which has a direct influence on cam & tappet wear. This is where many oils on the market fail. Even certain Mobil 1 formulations.

I only used Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formulation as an example & because I don't work for Exxon Mobil.

Here is the latest dump of 229.5 approved products. No favouritism there.

229.5 Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5)

Last update: 12/05/2011
PRODUCTNAME 0W-30 0W-40 5W-30 5W-40 PRINCIPAL
76 PURE SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL, SAE 5W-40 x ConocoPhillips, PONCA CITY, OK/USA
8100 X-cess MOTUL SAE 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
ADDINOL SUPER POWER MV 0537 x Addinol Lube Oil GmbH, Leuna/Deutschland
AeroShell Oil Diesel Ultra x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Agip SYNTHETIC PC SAE 5W-40 x ENI S.p.A. - Refining & Marketing Division, ROM/ITALY
ALPINE Longlife SAE 5W-30 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
Alpine RS 0W40 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
ARAL HIGH TRONIC M SAE 5W-40 x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL HighTronic M SAE 5W-30 x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL SUPER TRONIC G x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL SuperSynth x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ASTRIS MAGIS SAE 5W-40 x Astris S.A., 6745 GIORNICO/Schweiz
AVIASYNTH 5W-40 x Avia Mineralöl-AG, München/Deutschland
Biloxxi 5W-30 x MCC Trading Deutschland GmbH, Düsseldorf/Deutschland
bp superV Plus 5W-40 x BP p.l.c., LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
bp Visco 5000 5W-30 x BP p.l.c., LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge Professional A3 5W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE PROFESSIONAL A3 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional Diesel 5W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE TITANIUM 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge with SPT SAE 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Magnatec Professional A3 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol SLX Professional Longtec 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol SLX Professional Longtec 0W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
CEPSA star 5W40 SYNTHETIC x Cepsa Lubricantes, S.A., MADRID/SPAIN
Cepsa Star Mega Synthetic 0W-30 x Cepsa Lubricantes, S.A., MADRID/SPAIN
Chevron Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Consol Ultra x Vial Oil Ltd., FRYAZINO, Moscow region/RUSSIA
Divinol syntholight MBX SAE 5W-30 x Zeller+Gmelin GmbH & Co. KG, Eislingen/Deutschland
elf EXCELLIUM 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full-Tech 5W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full-Tech 5W-40 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Engen Xtreme Syn 5W-40 x Engen Petroleum Ltd., JOHANNESBURG 2000/REPUBLIC of SOUTHAFRICA
Everyday Full Synthetic 5W-40 x Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, WANTIRNA SOUTH/AUSTRALIA
EVOLUTION OEM Series I 5W-30 x TOP 1 Oil Products, San Mateo, CA/USA
EVOLUTION OEM Series I 5W-40 x TOP 1 Oil Products, San Mateo, CA/USA
Fastroil Premium Plus SAE 5W-40 x HILL Corporation, Shymkent/KAZAKHSTAN
Fina FIRST 600 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE 5W-40 x Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn Longlife SAE 5W-30 x Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
G-Energy F Synth 5W-30 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
G-Energy F Synth 5W-40 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
G-Energy Service Line MS 5W-30 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
GALP Active 3000 M 5W40 x Petrogal S.A., LISSABON/PORTUGAL
GALP FÓRMULA XLD SAE 5W-40 x Petrogal S.A., LISSABON/PORTUGAL
Gulf Formula GMX x Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
Gulf Formula GX x x Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
Havoline Ultra BM x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Kendall GT-1 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL x ConocoPhillips, PONCA CITY, OK/USA
LIQUI MOLY 5W-40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH x Liqui Moly GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
LOTOS SYNTHETIC PLUS SAE 5W40 x Grupa Lotos SA., GDANSK/POLAND
LOTOS SYNTHETIC TURBODIESEL PLUS 5W40 x Grupa Lotos SA., GDANSK/POLAND
LubriGold Full Synthetic 5W-40 x Warren Oil Company, Inc., WEST MEMPHIS, AR 72303-2048/USA
LUKOIL LUXE MC x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
LUKOIL LUXE Synthetic x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
master oil v-tec Premium 0W-40 x Interparts Autoteile GmbH, Stuttgart/Deutschland
MB 229.5 Motorenöl A 000 989 83 01 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
megol Motorenoel High Condition x Meguin GmbH & Co. KG Mineraloelwerke, Saarlouis/Deutschland
Mercedes-Benz PKW-Synthetic Motorenöl Blatt 229.5 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Midland Synqron x Oel-Brack AG, HUNZENSCHWIL/Schweiz
Mitan Alpine RS 0W-40 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
Mobil 1 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Arctic 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil Super 3000 Formula M 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Motul 8100 X-max 5W-30 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
Motul 8100 X-max 5W-40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
Motul Synergie Tech+ 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
OMV BIXXOL special BM SAE 5W-40 x OMV Refining & Marketing GmbH, VIENNA/Österreich
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
PENRITE HPR 5 5W-40 x Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, WANTIRNA SOUTH/AUSTRALIA
Pento High Performance 5W-30 x Deutsche Pentosin-Werke GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Premium Synthetik Motorenöl x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Q European Engine Ultra x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Q Horsepower Full Synthetic x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Quaker State Synquest x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
real,- Quality GSR 5W-30 x real,- Handels GmbH, Düsseldorf/Deutschland
REPSOL ELITE Common Rail 5W30 x Repsol YPF Lubricantes y Especialidades, S.A., MOSTOLES - MADRID/SPAIN
ROWE SYNT RS SAE 5W-30 HC-D x ROWE Mineralölwerk GmbH, Bubenheim/Deutschland
ROWE SYNT RS SAE 5W-40 HC-D x ROWE Mineralölwerk GmbH, Bubenheim/Deutschland
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra x x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra E x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix HX8 x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix HX8 C x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra x x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra AB x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra C x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra E x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra Extra Polar x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
smart Motoröl 5W-30 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
SRS ViVA 1 Longlife x SRS Schmierstoff Vertrieb GmbH, Salzbergen/Deutschland
Statoil LazerWay 5W-40 x Svenska Statoil AB, STOCKHOLM/SWEDEN
Statoil LazerWay TDI 5W-40 x Svenska Statoil AB, STOCKHOLM/SWEDEN
SynPower HST x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
SYNTIUM 3000 x PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, KUALA LAMPUR/MALAYSIA
TAMOIL SINT FUTURE RACING x Tamoil Italia S.p.A., MILANO/ITALY
TECAR Special M Motorenöl 5W-30 x Techno - Einkauf GmbH, Norderstedt/Deutschland
Texaco Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
TNK Magnum Ultratec x TNK Lubricants, LLC, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
Total Activa Energy 9000 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Valvoline SynPower HST x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Westfalen Gigatron 0W-40 x Westfalen AG, Münster/Deutschland
YACCO VX 1600 0W30 x Yacco SAS, ST PIERRE LES ELBEUF/FRANCE
ZIC XQ 5W-30 x SK Lubricants, DAEJEON/Rep. of KOREA

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-07-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:45 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Yes yes, mb recommends Mobil 1. I flip between Amsoil and Royal Purple. Both are superior to Mobile 1. Yet neither are recommended.

MB also recommends I have my repairs done at the Dealership

The fact is there is no other on shelf product that I can add via vacuum line to clean the gunk out.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by MB Dave
Yes yes, mb recommends Mobil 1. I flip between Amsoil and Royal Purple. Both are superior to Mobile 1. Yet neither are recommended.

The fact is there is no other on shelf product that I can add via vacuum line to clean the gunk out.
I've heard nothing but good things about Seafoam. A bunch of guys in a Camaro & Vette club I used to belong to swore by it. Just be sure to drip it into the vac line and not pour it

Noticeable improvement in drivability eh?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MB Dave

Amsoil & Royal Purple are not superior to Mobil 1 in any way. We have tested both of them. Amsoil only holds an approval for 229.51 which is for diesels with Cat & particulate filter - <0.8% ash. They have thusfar not achieved a 229.5 listing.

See W204 forum for debunking irrelevant claims.

Techron will clean captive breathers/vaccum lines if it is applied to them. It can't clean what it does not get to. It is a Polybutene Amine system added to a carrier base oil. Probably what Seafoam mean by "highly refined additive oils " There is no such terminology in the industry.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM

'03 CLK 320 Coupe
FWIW, my vote is to sticky this whole thread just for the updated and comprehensive list of "229.5-approved" engine oils in post #11. (Mercifully, I've refrained from re-quoting the whole post/list.) Thanks for going to the troube of making that list. And personally, I'm glad to see Benz has taken the never-ending--and sometimes ill-concieved--controversy and guess-work out of choosing a suitible engine oil for its cars.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'll pull a properly formatted listing & sticky it. Give me a few days. We don't have the most competent text editor on this board.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I'll pull a properly formatted listing & sticky it. Give me a few days. We don't have the most competent text editor on this board.
Very interested to read this as I am looking into doing this internal cleaning a few times a year. The outrageous heat here cooks up the oil and leaves lots of crud left behind. I use Mobil 1, dealer serviced every 5,000km.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Very interested to read this as I am looking into doing this internal cleaning a few times a year. The outrageous heat here cooks up the oil and leaves lots of crud left behind. I use Mobil 1, dealer serviced every 5,000km.
AMS oil is still king
The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy, increased oil consumption and excessive wear and emissions. A maximum of 15 percent evaporation loss is allowable to meet the API SL and ILSAC GF-3 specifications. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil lost an extremely low 4.9 percent of its original weight during high-temperature service, maintaining its superior protective and performance qualities,while Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil lost 9.17 percent of its original weight.

The Four Ball Wear Test determines the wear protection properties of a lubricant by measuring the wear scars produced by four metal ***** in sliding contact under the test parameters. The smaller the average wear scar, the better the wear protection provided by the lubricant. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil completed the Four Ball Wear Test producing a smaller wear scar than the Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil.

The Flash/Fire Point Test determines the lowest temperatures at which application of a flame will cause lubricant vapors to ignite (flash point) and sustain burning for five seconds (fire point). Lubricants with higher flash and fire points exhibit more stable volatility characteristics and are safer to use and transport. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil has higher flash and fire points than does Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil.

The Pour Point Test determines the lowest temperature at which a lubricant flows.The lower a lubricant’s pour point,the better protection it provides in low-temperature service.As shown in the graph, AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil has a lower pour point than Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil.

Total Base Number (TBN) is the measurement of a lubricant’s reserve alkalinity. The higher a motor oil’s TBN, the more effective it is in handling contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids for an extended period of time. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil has a higher TBN than Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 Motor Oil.

Source : smartsynthetics.com
Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

As I said - See the W204 forum. All of the above are irrelevant! Seeing you are lazy I will attach the link later. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

They are not even comparing with the Benz approved Mobil 1. Please read the link below to save me from repeating myself.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t=Royal+Purple
Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ellcapitan
FWIW, my vote is to sticky this whole thread just for the updated and comprehensive list of "229.5-approved" engine oils in post #11. (Mercifully, I've refrained from re-quoting the whole post/list.) Thanks for going to the troube of making that list. And personally, I'm glad to see Benz has taken the never-ending--and sometimes ill-concieved--controversy and guess-work out of choosing a suitible engine oil for its cars.
Latest approved gasoline engine oils listing sticky'ed as requested
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kevwood
If you are servicing every 5K Km's your engine is going to be pretty spotless where it counts. The only areas that are a slight problem in these engines is where the fuel & oil can't get to clean. Namely the captive breathing system & the inlet runners & swirl flaps. They get quite mucky and physical cleaning is really the only answer. In reality it's only an issue at high mileage.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM

C55 AMG, BMW 535i, Mazda Cx-7, Nissan 240sx
wheres the brake booster?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
As I said - See the W204 forum. All of the above are irrelevant! Seeing you are lazy I will attach the link later. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

They are not even comparing with the Benz approved Mobil 1. Please read the link below to save me from repeating myself.
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...rms_mobil1.htm

See like nothing has changed around here good ol Glyn still being a ...., well he knows what he is.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM

I love how some think that MB engines & other equipement are something so special, that if you don't used the oil they approve, you're putting the life of your car on the line. What a bunch of hooah! There are plenty of non "blessed", quality products that will perform just fine on our cars and not cause your engine, cat or the like to blow up, both today and in the future.

My KTM motorcycle recommends and has approved Motorex, yet there are several other products that meet or exceed the specifications of Motorex and my motor won't know the damn difference if I pour in brand A, B or C. I have no doubt the my MB cat will handle Seafoam as good as my Chevy Tahoe has with far more miles. Maybe Chevy motors are just built better?

There's a healthy dose of marketing in there people. Don't believe everything that you read, including what just said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seafoam