CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The genuine Benz additive is Techron. Techron is still unsurpassed in clean up & keep clean of injectors, inlet system & combustion chamber. In testing it has been established that BP has the closest rival. Yes that is good advice if never used. Do not overdose. Dose correctly.

While Techron will work in all situations it works quickest in a lot of stop start driving. Start ~ engine up to temperature ~ shut down for a while. The more heat soak cycles like this the quicker the additive removes deposits.

Here is a M271 set of valves from using Techron. The dark deposits further up the inlet are back of the injectors where the fuel can't get.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Hmm, I always use Costco gas. Maybe I need to get some Techron.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
I used Sam's regular octane gas for years in the Dodge Caravan. When I got the CLK500 I didn't get to Sam's for a while, so used Mobil hi-test (92?). After 5 or 6 tanks of Mobil, I did a fill-up with Sam's 92 or 93 whatever, hightest, and the car ran for C R A P! I've never seen anything like it! Back to Mobil, and ran fine.
Then I filled up (desperation...e m p t y) at a Sebn-Lebn, 93(?), and averaged 2 mpg more than Mobil for that tank. ??
Next tank fill back to Mobil and the same consistent mpg.
Then another fill at Sebn-Lebn to see if the mileage came back. NO! It dropped 1 mpg! I didn't like buying there anyway.
Mobil 92(or is it 93?) gives consistent 17.2 - 18.5 city. Consistent, no matter how I drive my 19 mile round trip commute.
Gotta look for a Chevron station and see what that gets me.

YMMV
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Down here in the south, high-compression engines require even higher octane fuels - 93 is the norm due to the denser air (closer the sea level and with higher humidity levels). Also, we have "summer mix" fuels which have less energy and can cause MPG to lower significantly. My W163 ML320 ran like crap with summer fuel. I actually ran it on 87 octane in the summer to get more energy in my fuel.

With Costco gas, I've never had a problem. I've been using it for 10 years in all my vehicles (ever since they opened a store near me). They claim it has additives, but unless they are private-labeling Chevron, it isn't as good.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated guys. I'll probably do 3 or 4 treatments (next 3 or 4 fill ups) to make sure everything is good and clean then add a can every 4th fill after that. The stuff is cheap, simple maintenance IMO.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated guys. I'll probably do 3 or 4 treatments (next 3 or 4 fill ups) to make sure everything is good and clean then add a can every 4th fill after that. The stuff is cheap, simple maintenance IMO.
3-4 treaments, for the next 2-4 fuel fill-ups?

I would think that 2 treatments would be suffice. Although these Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaners are cheap while on sales (I brought a few, 02 oz, during the holidays, $12.99 US, 2 for 1), you still don't want to waste products !

I used to put in 2 treatments in a tank in the hope the higher concentration would clean the injectors better. Now I just follow the exact instructions on the label, they should know their products better.

Last edited by mis3; 01-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by mis3
3-4 treaments, for the next 2-4 fuel fill-ups?
3-4 treatments over the next 3-4 fill ups meaning 1 can of cleaner per tank over the next 3 or 4 refills. If this has never been done, there is going to be a hell of a lot of deposits on the valves & pistons so I'd rather settle with a bit of piece of mind knowing that I'm giving it a good cleaning.

I regret not taking a look when the supercharger was being installed, stupid really. Oh well, live & learn.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM

2004 c320
Originally Posted by bheng
would it work if it put a can in the gastank?

would i need to it in the crank and vac tube?
if you not as much if you suck'd it in a vacc. tube. more intense. you wont believe the amount of black smoke. the instructions say to use it in a well vent'd area. even then once your done and take it down the road, black smoke will follow you for about 1/2 mile. it will run better.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM

2004 c320
Originally Posted by Jerryswfl
I used Sam's regular octane gas for years in the Dodge Caravan. When I got the CLK500 I didn't get to Sam's for a while, so used Mobil hi-test (92?). After 5 or 6 tanks of Mobil, I did a fill-up with Sam's 92 or 93 whatever, hightest, and the car ran for C R A P! I've never seen anything like it! Back to Mobil, and ran fine.
Then I filled up (desperation...e m p t y) at a Sebn-Lebn, 93(?), and averaged 2 mpg more than Mobil for that tank. ??
Then another fill at Sebn-Lebn to see if the mileage came back. NO! It dropped 1 mpg! I didn't like buying there anyway.
Mobil 92(or is it 93?) gives consistent 17.2 - 18.5 city. Consistent, no matter how I drive my 19 mile round trip commute.

YMMV

because the compression ratio is 11% the higher the compression the higher octane needs to be used. most cars run at 9%, therefor reg. gas is all needed. in fact, if you use hi-test in a car with 9% compression - you are wasting money. will not help at all.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Glyn (and all),

I have 178,000 miles on my CLK. Since 2005, I have only had the techron additive added every other oil change by my mechanic. Besides the oil cleaning regiment below, are there any other services I should look into at this point? There was a notceable drop in performance after my car hit 100k and it seems to get slightly worse. My MAF is original, and with all the talk of that I'm thinking it might be time to throw a new one in even though I haven't had any issues. Thoughts and recs? What's the best and most comprehesive effort you can do to make an egine feel new without a complete overhaul? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Guys - If you feel your inlet system, fuel system & combustion chambers are a little fouled up use Techron Concentrate in the fuel. If you feel your crankcase is fouled due to high mileage take a 229.5 approved engine oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formulation which is highly detergent and halve your drain interval twice. At each midway change it is not necessary to change the oil filter. This is guaranteed to clean things up safely.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 PM

2004 c320
Originally Posted by lowpost
Glyn (and all),

I have 178,000 miles on my CLK. Since 2005, I have only had the techron additive added every other oil change by my mechanic. Besides the oil cleaning regiment below, are there any other services I should look into at this point? There was a notceable drop in performance after my car hit 100k and it seems to get slightly worse. My MAF is original, and with all the talk of that I'm thinking it might be time to throw a new one in even though I haven't had any issues. Thoughts and recs? What's the best and most comprehesive effort you can do to make an egine feel new without a complete overhaul? Thanks!
mine is a 2004 c320 with 130k miles when i bought it last summer. i've had spark plugs changed, engine vac.../de-carboned, changed my own oil - i used motor flush and royal purple (they came out oil for MB last year plus transmission oil for them also. i love royal purple. i use nothing else in my cars. an improvment of performance can be felt just on that oil. i had all oils changed to RP products (transfer case/rear end...) i change dmy own trans. oil. and filter. make sure you know how much motor oil and trans you nedd, they hold more than the normal car. i changed my air filters to K&N filters ($100) and cabin filters (about $40). had coolant flushed. i am looking at putting on an underdrive pully. i put one on my 2001 camero (that was totaled be a young kid not watching the road. that must have given me and extra 20torq pds. it pulled alot harder with it. but, the alternated didnt charge the battery like it should. so, had to watch that. and on the camaero i put a cut-out on my exhaust. that helped also, this allowed my engine temp to drop 16degrees. it didnt make it much louder than normal.
i dont want to do anything rad. on this bm. dont want it loud, may looking into slight exhaust changes. just loud enough a bit more than normal.
they just want too much $$ for MB parts. however - underdrive pully is looking the best bang for the buck. it gives you the same performance than having your ecu programed. ecu prog. maybe the 2nd thing i do
Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
jimwv - thanks for the response. I was intersted more in recommended cleaning/parts replacements other than performance parts or routine tune up services. I already have a pulley and ecu upgrade and I have all the necessary routine maintenance/tune ups taken care of. Just trying to brainstorm if there's anything to do besides getting into the internals.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Royal Purple carry no Benz approvals to date. Please don't use their products until they do. The only way an oil can give you a very slight horsepower increase is to use a lower viscosity & friction modifiers & you won't feel it but you could measure it.

If you are getting no fuel trim codes the MAF should be OK. You should clean it with MAF cleaner & clean the throttle body.

The M112/113 engines usually need a new set of plug wires at your mileage but you will get misfire codes stored.

One thing that can get very fouled up on these engines at high mileage is the inlet manifold variable runner system & flaps between the MAF and the inlet valves where the fuel & additive can't get to clean. To fix this requires inlet manifold removal & physical cleaning.

When last did you do a throttle reset?

Last update: 03/04/2013
PRODUCTNAME 0W-30 0W-40 5W-30 5W-40 PRINCIPAL
Mercedes-Benz PKW-Synthetic Motorenöl MB 229.5 x x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
MB 229.5 Motorenöl A 000 989 83 01 x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Premium Synthetik Motorenöl x Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
8100 X-cess MOTUL SAE 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
ADDINOL SUPER POWER MV 0537 x Addinol Lube Oil GmbH, Leuna/Deutschland
AeroShell Oil Diesel Ultra x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Agip SYNTHETIC PC SAE 5W-30 x Eni S.p.A., Refining & Marketing Division, ROME/ITALY
AKTUAL FULLY SYNTH 5W-40 x PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, VILLASTELLONE (Torino)/ITALY
Alpine RS 0W40 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
ARAL HIGH TRONIC M SAE 5W-40 x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL SUPER TRONIC G x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ARAL SuperSynth x Aral Aktiengesellschaft, Hamburg/Deutschland
ASTRIS MAGIS SAE 5W-30 x Astris S.A., GIORNICO/Schweiz
ASTRIS MAGIS SAE 5W-40 x Astris S.A., GIORNICO/Schweiz
AVIASYNTH 5W-40 x Avia Mineralöl-AG, München/Deutschland
Biloxxi 5W-30 x MCC Trading Deutschland GmbH, Düsseldorf/Deutschland
bp superV Plus 5W-40 x BP p.l.c., LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
bp Visco 5000 5W-30 x BP p.l.c., LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge Professional A3 5W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE PROFESSIONAL A3 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE Professional Diesel 5W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol EDGE TITANIUM 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Edge with SPT SAE 0W-30 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Castrol Magnatec Professional A3 5W-40 x Castrol Limited, SWINDON/UNITED KINGDOM
CEPSA star 5W40 SYNTHETIC x Cepsa Lubricantes, S.A., MADRID/SPAIN
Chevron Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Consol Ultra 5W-40 x Vial Oil Ltd., FRYAZINO, Moscow region/RUSSIA
Divinol syntholight MBX SAE 5W-30 x Zeller+Gmelin GmbH & Co. KG, Eislingen/Deutschland
EKO MEGATRON SYNTHETIC 5W-30 x EKO A.B.E.E., MARONSI, ATHENS/GREECE
elf EXCELLIUM 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full-Tech 5W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Elf Excellium Full-Tech 5W-40 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Engen Xtreme Syn 5W-40 x Engen Petroleum Ltd., JOHANNESBURG 2000/REPUBLIC of SOUTHAFRICA
Engine Armour SAE 5W-40 x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
ENOC PROTEC X-TREME 5W 40 x ENOC International Sales L.L.C., DUBAI/UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
EVOLUTION OEM Series I 5W-30 x TOP 1 Oil Products, San Mateo, CA/USA
EVOLUTION OEM Series I 5W-40 x TOP 1 Oil Products, San Mateo, CA/USA
Fastroil Premium Plus SAE 5W-40 x HILL Corporation, Shymkent/KAZAKHSTAN
Fina FIRST 600 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE 5W-40 x Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn Longlife SAE 5W-30 x Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
G-Energy F Synth 5W-30 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
G-Energy F Synth 5W-40 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
G-Energy Service Line MS 5W-30 x Gazpromneft-Lubricants LTD, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
GALP Active 3000 M 5W40 x Petrogal S.A., LISSABON/PORTUGAL
GALP FÓRMULA XLD SAE 5W-40 x Petrogal S.A., LISSABON/PORTUGAL
Gulf Formula Extreme 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Gulf Formula GMX x Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
Gulf Formula GX x x Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
HILL Super SM/CF x HILL Corporation, Shymkent/KAZAKHSTAN
IDEMITSU EXTREME 0W-30 x Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd., Tokyo/JAPAN
INA Ultra Sint 5W-30 x INA MAZIVA Ltd., ZAGREB/CROATIA
LIQUI MOLY 5W-40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH x Liqui Moly GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
LIQUI MOLY Leichtlauf Special LL x Liqui Moly GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
LOTOS SYNTHETIC PLUS SAE 5W40 x Grupa Lotos SA., GDANSK/POLAND
LOTOS SYNTHETIC TURBODIESEL PLUS 5W40 x Grupa Lotos SA., GDANSK/POLAND
LUBREX API SL/CF 5W-40 x LUBREX FZC, SHARJAH/UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
LubriGold Full Synthetic 5W-40 x Warren Oil Company, Inc., WEST MEMPHIS, AR 72303-2048/USA
LUKOIL GENESIS 5W-30 x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
LUKOIL GENESIS 5W-40 x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
LUKOIL LUXE MC x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
LUKOIL LUXE SYNTHETIC x OOO LLK-International, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
master oil v-tec Premium 0W-40 x Interparts Autoteile GmbH, Stuttgart/Deutschland
megol Motorenoel High Condition x Meguin GmbH & Co. KG Mineraloelwerke, Saarlouis/Deutschland
megol Motorenoel Quality x Meguin GmbH & Co. KG Mineraloelwerke, Saarlouis/Deutschland
Meisteröl LL x EPRO GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
Midland Synqron x Oel-Brack AG, HUNZENSCHWIL/Schweiz
Mitan Alpine RS 0W-40 x Mitan Mineralöl GmbH, Ankum/Deutschland
Mobil 1 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Arctic 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil SHC Formula M 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
MOBIL SUPER 3000 FORMULA M 0W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil Super 3000 Formula M 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil Super 3000 Formula M 5W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
MOTUL EXPERT M 5W-40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
MOTUL H-TECH Prime SAE 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
Motul Synergie Tech+ 5W40 x Motul , AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX/FRANCE
National Synthetic 5W40 x Pinnacle Oil, Inc., INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46268/USA
OMV BIXXOL premium NT SAE 5W-40 x OMV Refining & Marketing GmbH, VIENNA/Österreich
OMV BIXXOL special BM SAE 5W-40 x OMV Refining & Marketing GmbH, VIENNA/Österreich
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
PENRITE HPR 5 5W-40 x Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, WANTIRNA SOUTH/AUSTRALIA
Pento High Performance 5W-30 x Deutsche Pentosin-Werke GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
PETRONAS SYNTIUM 7000 x PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, VILLASTELLONE (Torino)/ITALY
PULSAR CR x PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, VILLASTELLONE (Torino)/ITALY
PXXTREME POWER 5W40 LL01 x Phoenix Lubricants Pty Ltd, Victoria/AUSTRALIA
Pzl Platinum Syn Euro Form Ultra x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Q European Engine Ultra x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
Q Horsepower Full Synthetic x Pennzoil-Quaker State, HOUSTON, TEXAS 77002/USA
QS Q European Engine Ultra Full Synth. x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
QS Ultimate Durability European Engine x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Quaker State Synquest x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
RAVENOL HCL x Ravensberger Schmierstoffvertrieb GmbH, Werther/Deutschland
real,- Quality GSR 5W-30 x real,- Handels GmbH, Düsseldorf/Deutschland
REPSOL ELITE Common Rail 5W30 x REPSOL LUBRICANTES Y ESPECIALIDADES, S.A., MOSTOLES (Madrid)/SPAIN
ROWE SYNT RS SAE 5W-30 HC-D x ROWE Mineralölwerk GmbH, Bubenheim/Deutschland
ROWE SYNT RS SAE 5W-40 HC-D x ROWE Mineralölwerk GmbH, Bubenheim/Deutschland
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra x x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra E x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix HX8 x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix HX8 C x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra x x x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra AB x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra C x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Shell Helix Ultra E x x Shell International Petroleum Company, LONDON/UNITED KINGDOM
Sinopec Justar A3/B4-E x Lubricant Company, Sinopec Corp., Beijing/P. R. of CHINA
Sinopec Justar A3/B4-S x Lubricant Company, Sinopec Corp., Beijing/P. R. of CHINA
Sinopec Justar J700F-E x Lubricant Company, Sinopec Corp., Beijing/P. R. of CHINA
Sinopec Justar J700F-S x Lubricant Company, Sinopec Corp., Beijing/P. R. of CHINA
SRS ViVA 1 Longlife x SRS Schmierstoff Vertrieb GmbH, Salzbergen/Deutschland
SynPower HST x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
SynPower SAE 5W-30 motor oil x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
SYNTIUM 3000 x PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, KUALA LAMPUR/MALAYSIA
TAMOIL SINT FUTURE RACING x Tamoil Italia S.p.A., MILANO/ITALY
TECAR Special M Motorenöl 5W-30 x Techno - Einkauf GmbH, Norderstedt/Deutschland
TESLA POLARIS FS 1120 SAE 5W 40 x Tesla Technoproducts FZE, DUBAI/UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Texaco Havoline Synthetic x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Texaco Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
Texaco Havoline Ultra x Chevron Global Lubricants, GENT/ZWIJNAARDE/BELGIUM
TNK Magnum Ultratec x TNK Lubricants, LLC, MOSCOW/RUSSIA
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W-30 x Total Lubrifiants, PARIS la Defense Cedex/FRANCE
Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Valvoline SynPower HST x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Velox ULTRA SM x Aeagean Oil S.A., ATHENS/GREECE
Westfalen Gigatron 0W-40 x Westfalen AG, Münster/Deutschland
YACCO VX 1000 LL SAE 5W-40 x Yacco SAS, ST PIERRE LES ELBEUF/FRANCE
YACCO VX 1600 0W30 x Yacco SAS, ST PIERRE LES ELBEUF/FRANCE
ZIC XQ 5W-30 x SK Lubricants, DAEJEON/Rep. of KOREA
ZIC XQ 5W-40 x SK Lubricants, DAEJEON/Rep. of KOREA
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 Coupe 4Matic
What about Valvoline product line? My MB dealer now recommend only this company line
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Valvoline has recently got 2 approvals listed above. They are fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM

2014 E350 Coupe 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Valvoline has recently got 2 approvals listed above. They are fine.

This is for oil, what about cleaning products?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

If you mean fuel system Cleaning products only 2 are approved. Chevron Techron & the BASF equivalent product.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM

2014 E350 Coupe 4Matic
thank you, this is what i ment
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 PM

2004 c320
Originally Posted by Jerryswfl

YMMV
sams club has hi-test gas. that what i use the most. seeing most gas's come from basically 4-6 refineries. they dont have their own refineries any more; like shell dont have, exxon dont have...i use sams because they have a high amount of gas being sold. meaning - they dont have as much grap at the bottom of their holding tanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM

2004 c320
jimwv - thanks for the response. I was intersted more in recommended cleaning/parts replacements other than performance parts or routine tune up services. I already have a pulley and ecu upgrade and I have all the necessary routine maintenance/tune ups taken care of. Just trying to brainstorm if there's anything to do besides getting into the internals.
i did mention the maint. i did when i bought the car. this way i know for a fact all maint is up todate - coolent flush, new sparkplug ( they were to be replce at 100k, but they were not, motor/trans fluid....) the maint was not done on the car. the previous own went to the MB dealer to have any/all work done. i got a print-out of what work was done, hardly no maint were done. you can have a regulat mechanic do everything other than the MB dealer. they charge 2hrs for spark plug change plus the cost of the plug. it takes only 40min to do the job. same 2 hours for motor and 2 hours for trans fluid change to do motor oil was a learning curve for me and so was thrans. filter and fluid change. now it would only take my 20min from the time i get the tools out and the time i put the tools away. however, if you want the MB dealer to do all of this, combine them all 2-gether. this way you should be charged for 2hrs of labor.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I use Costco gas. Their prices for 93 octane "premium" fuels are the lowest in town. I've been using it for over 10 years ago and never had a fuel-related problem in any engine.

And Jim is right - there are very few refineries, and many areas get fuel from only one. The difference between brands is only in the detergent and anti-knock additives. One thing I have always heard is that you should not get fuel when the tanker truck is there refilling. That supposedly stirs up sediment and sludge from the bottom of their tanks. It sounds reasonable, except that the pumps have filters for this, so does your car, which makes me think that's just a myth.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM

2004 c320
do NOT forget to have your car alig'd i do this every year in the spring. the winter you cna drive over clumps of snow/ice that can knock it out of alig'ment. seeing i live in WV, the road here generally pot-holes.
the last vehical i bought. they previous owner never had it alig'd. it drove ALOT better. plus the tires last much longer, better gas milage
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM

2004 c320
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I use Costco gas. Their prices for 93 octane "premium" fuels are the lowest in town. I've been using it for over 10 years ago and never had a fuel-related problem in any engine.

And Jim is right - there are very few refineries, and many areas get fuel from only one. The difference between brands is only in the detergent and anti-knock additives. One thing I have always heard is that you should not get fuel when the tanker truck is there refilling. That supposedly stirs up sediment and sludge from the bottom of their tanks. It sounds reasonable, except that the pumps have filters for this, so does your car, which makes me think that's just a myth.
i put in gas additives when i change the oil. dont really need to do it more offten, unless you get bad gas, water. i had the top end "washed/vacc'd" disconnect the fuel rails and the mech. (i dint have this done at the dealer) deter'gent foes thru the throttle body, vaules stems, piston tops...after this just add what ever you like to use.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudeney

Yes ~ the main difference is in the detergent. Costco now uses a detergent of unknown source.

The tanker story is real. Gas station filters are nut & bolt catchers. A 1 micron nominal 3 micron absolute 75 beta ratio filter of decent size would clog in a few days on the average bowser. The oil industry transports it's refineries, tanks & pipelines etc. around rust particle by rust particle until it reaches your cars tanks. You would be horrified if you saw what we clean out of service station tanks from time to time. Truck discharges do churn up water bottoms & shorten the life of the car's onboard filtration. Gasoline fuel systems are more forgiving but modern ultra high pressure diesel systems with amplifier injectors are not & the filter industry faces a challenge in this regard. Donaldson as an example is spending a fortune on research for these engines to try and filter adequately without excessive pressure drop across the filter media.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Originally Posted by jimwv
sams club has hi-test gas. that what i use the most. seeing most gas's come from basically 4-6 refineries. they dont have their own refineries any more; like shell dont have, exxon dont have...i use sams because they have a high amount of gas being sold. meaning - they dont have as much grap at the bottom of their holding tanks.
I did use Sams hi-test when I got that bad performance, bad mileage. And, I wonder about the amount of hi-test being sold at the Mobil station, which has about the highest price in town. Same for Sams. I guess I should spend a day there and see what people are using. Of course, regular is pumped the most, but how much hi-test?
I've been using Mobil for the past 7 or 8 fill-ups, and the mileage is consistent, 16.5 - 17.8. If I get 'out of town' for a bit, I will see up to 26 mpg.
It is "tourist season" here, and takes me 25 minutes to go 8 miles coming home in the afternoon. Of course, I know my engine is getting up to temp! (so are my nerves)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seafoam