CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Love/Not Love

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 CLK
Love/Not Love

Ok so now that the Benz is getting some use..some things I love ( I am a girl so I can toss the love term around)
the drive
The acceleration
The turning radius
The look
The seats..position and heat
The unlock lights ( it is like the car puts itself on stage)
the wind buffer..top down, windows up 45 at night and I am warm at 80 mph
The Bluetooth

Things I not love
Cup holders are cramped...console won't close with a can in it
No easy console to put things in..small things end up on the seat..I miss an opening in the Dash for things like sunglasses, phone
Radio display...gag! I thought I would be able to change the display but is it always those huge blue letters on a big white screen? I always put to map display.
Navigation...clunky clunky! Will I ever get used to this? Great while on, but entering an address takes me 5 minutes!
No extra phone charger. My old old explorer has two. Maybe there is one in the back that I am missing? Are there cup holders back there? Extra cup holders are a good place for empties. Back too small for s small trash can.

You have thoughts?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
I agree with you on the navigation part, it takes forever to enter an address compared to using the mobile as a navi.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM

W209 55
Benz navi has always sucked lol.

The newer NTG2.5+ I hear is a bit better
Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM

350 CLK
i do add one thing--i love how i FEEL driving this puppy. nothing compares.

Seriously, can i change the look of the radio read out? I'm a talk radio Junkie so I don' know if music stations scoll the artist, etc. no way to change to look of that monstrosity in the center?

will just have to deal with the navi-unless i can upgrade down the road---
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by Since I was 16
i do add one thing--i love how i FEEL driving this puppy. nothing compares.

Seriously, can i change the look of the radio read out? I'm a talk radio Junkie so I don' know if music stations scoll the artist, etc. no way to change to look of that monstrosity in the center?

will just have to deal with the navi-unless i can upgrade down the road---
Yeah, the radio display looks like the display on some diagnostic tool made by Smurfs. I assume yours changes at night to a navy blue background? If not, you can change that in the menus. Otherwise, it cannot be altered. No artists are displayed on regular radio, but are on sat radio.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
And when you say phone charger in back, do you just mean 12v power outlet? If so, then I have one and assume you do too - little door in the back of the center console - but no cupholders back there.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
The NAV/COMAND blows, I'm gutting my system and going aftermarket, that was my biggest complaint about the car. Prettynsimple the only thing left that will be OEM is the paint.

You make a good point about the turning radius, it is exceptionally good compared to other cars I've had.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM

2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
I agree with all of those, especially the radio screen and center console. Wish I had the bluetooth to love. Ah well, the "loves" definitely outweigh the "love-nots" for me by a long shot. I probably love my designo interior the most!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM

350 CLK
Schmitty--you have the stone/black interior? That is the bomb. I searched and searched-but it just wasn't around at the right price two weeks ago---(now of course, one i liked is on sale--lol--ain't that life?)
and no Yidney, it does not change colors on the radio at night. I am going to check that setting thanks--I am also on the look out for that 12V charger. i have had too much fun driving too look--
and I agree with you--the loves DEF outweight the not loves. I do love this car. oh, do I love this car!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM

2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
Schmitty--you have the stone/black interior? That is the bomb. I searched and searched-but it just wasn't around at the right price two weeks ago---(now of course, one i liked is on sale--lol--ain't that life?)
Its actually mocha black and sand. Have to admit I wasn't specifically looking for that combo but once i saw it i had to have it!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM

350 CLK
That was like me--i found the black with the lighter tone (they told me it was stone, but I'm not sure)I had never even seen it before-- car was priced CRAZY high and i wanted it anyway. Made and offer and they would not even counter---price dropped and i had asked them to call me, they didnt--and it dropped three times. they did not at all earn my business :o( I bought mine and THEN they slashed the price on that car.....oh well...enjoy yours!

Looked for three months and could not find another--that interior is amazing.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
There are three radio screen settings. Day, Night, and Auto. Day is too bright at night and is that hideous blue, Night looks much better, but is hard to see in daylight. So Auto is usually best.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Cup holders are cramped...console won't close with a can in it
Uh, this care was designed to drive 100mph+ down the Autobahn - you should have your hands on the wheel, not on a Big Gulp!

No easy console to put things in..small things end up on the seat..I miss an opening in the Dash for things like sunglasses, phone
Again, at 100mph+ you shouldn't be phoning and your sunglasses need to be on your face.

Radio display...gag! I thought I would be able to change the display but is it always those huge blue letters on a big white screen? I always put to map display.
It could be worse - you could have no NAV and have to deal with that glary, shiny plastic screen over washed-out white LED letters for the station display.

Navigation...clunky clunky! Will I ever get used to this? Great while on, but entering an address takes me 5 minutes!
Yeah, my wife's Jeep has voice recognition - I just say "liquor store" and there I go!

No extra phone charger. My old old explorer has two. Maybe there is one in the back that I am missing?
What, with the phone again???

Are there cup holders back there? Extra cup holders are a good place for empties.
No rear cupholders for the cabriolet. I mean, really, the back seat in the cab is so tiny, you only put people you hate back there anyhow, so why would you want them to have refreshments? Besides, wit the top down cruising at 80mph, just toss your empties in the air and they are instantly "gone".

Back too small for s small trash can.
See above.

Seriously, those are all common complaints of the CLK. I guess everything has compromises. In my case, I am used to the MBZ NAV system so it doesn't bother me much, but compared to other systems, yes, it is clunky. It's too bad some manufacturer doesn't just sick an iPad on the dash and tie it into the speakers and amp. I don't often have beverages in the car, so the cupholder is not an issue, and I my in-cabin "cargo" is very minimal so I am happy with the storage. Oh, and I really wasn't joking about putting people I hate in the back seat.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 AM

350 CLK
See how I am? Hardcore about my sunglasses and sodas! Really I have learned a lot here, even about the back seat! Already adjusted my display, but probably should not use the radio, can't have it distract me while negotiate off ramps on the autobahn.

It's good to know that my car is not glichy...that the nav is that odd..and that even if I don't like who I throw in the back....they can charge their phone!

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK & GL
there is another cigarette lighter adapter thing that comes out from behind the center console where the secondary ashtray is. When you open up the middle thing in the rear seats there is a plastic slot thing in the middle of the top part. Push that in and 2 more cupholders come out. you cant fit any drink in there and expect them not to spill though.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK & GL
As far as the NAV system goes... the e46 m3 one is easily the worst i have ever seen ours are much easier to use
Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by kbahl21
When you open up the middle thing in the rear seats there is a plastic slot thing in the middle of the top part. Push that in and 2 more cupholders come out. you cant fit any drink in there and expect them not to spill though.
FYI, "16" has a cabriolet and there are no rear-seat cup holders (the armrest is a different design from your coupe).
Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 PM

350 CLK
Thanks rudeney I swear I almost ripped my back seat out today, searching for those Cupholders. Lol. But kbah....I got my phone plugged in!
And did first POI with success on first try. And more comments from complete strangers about car. Do love that!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:28 PM

CLK550
haha i agree 100% with putting everything on the seat. my passenger seat almost always has receipts, headphones, sunglasses, and a magazine on it
Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
She's still a great car for what is afterall a 10 year old design. I'm amazed that in 2009 motoring scribes were still using superlatives like "beautiful", "lovely", "stunning" etc. to describe the CLK. It has to be one of Benz' best styling excercises in the past 20 years. The sheer balance of design is amazing. For a compact design it is still a pleasure to drive.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM

'03 CLK 320 Coupe
At least you have nav. The only navigation system my '03 CLK 320 has is the two map pockets in the doors! I did not know about the second cigar lighter in back. I'm about to go check on that. One of my BIG beefs with this car was (the presumption) that it only has one charging port.

EDIT: I just checked, and mine does not have anything resembling a second cigar lighter in the rear ashtray. It must be only on newer models. So, my BIG beef still stands. (Hush, this is a family establishment...)

Last edited by ellcapitan; 01-22-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 AM

350 CLK
hey speakin of Nav (somewhere in here) I am SURE i can pour over the owners manual for answers but you guys are way more fun. I cannot find a setting to turn down/off the nav voice. Half the time I am just using it for ETA not directions, can I mute her? I see the options of no tunnels, bridges or freeways--not no option for "no voice" does it exist? Girl always talkin' over my tunes!!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Well tell her shuuudup lol.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK & GL
when she starts talking, press mute
Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM

350 CLK
Mbenz--I looked and that's not in the manual. lol
Kbahl---I tried that and the radio muted--maybe i did not do that while Nav was talking. I will try again~

Last edited by Since I was 16; 02-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Love/Not Love