CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Please check my VIN for Balance shaft issue?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 clk350 cabrio
Thanks very much. I will have tech look for codes.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM

2007 E350
Got my car back from MB today, balance shaft ... 7k to fix.

After I demonstrated knowledge of the issue, they agreed to give me $500 off the bill as goodwill. It is laughable to me.

As I told the SA, that is 50% of Blue Book. How Mercedes, with a straight face, can charge this with full knowledge of why this happened (bad parts) is beyond me.

I get it is a win/win for them ... if I pay it (won't) they make an additional profit. If I don't, the car will eventually just make it's way to the junkyard, where it and this problem can disappear.

It is sad, my closing line to the SA. I can never get the value of the repair back, it automatically drives me into the red ... forever. However, Mercedes can easily make the money back by doing the right thing and creating a customer for life. I know they could care less, their brand is strong in the USA.

My dealer isn't returning my calls, and is playing dumb to the advertised warranty ... Luckily I can sell the car for what I owe. I will be out what I put down, but that was equity from my other car ... so on paper I am not losing (or so I keep telling myself).

I really love this car ...

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If you can find anything in writing (or even published in an advertisement or on a web site) that they offer a 90-day warranty, then you have a good leg to stand on here and I would get a lawyer. Car dealers are under tremendous scrutiny because of a long history of abusive practices. BTW, the dealer where you bought the car - are they just a "used car lot" or are they also an authorized dealer for new cars? If they also sell new cars, then contact that manufacturer's customer service center and find out how to get in touch with their regional management. Even though used cars aren't covered by that manufacturer, they want their authorized dealers to have good reputations and there are repercussions for bad dealers.

Oh, and another thing - if you still get nowhere with the selling dealer, contact MBUSA customer service - there is an email form on the website. Be nice, respectful, and politely request them to look into a "goodwill" repair. If you want to sell it, do it quickly because as the problem continues to get worse, the MIL will illuminate more often and finally will be constant illuminated. The value of a car, especially an MBZ, is greatly diminished when the MIL is illuminated.

Last edited by Rudeney; 08-24-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 PM

2007 E350
Thanks for the advice.

The independent car lot advertised the 90 day warranty on the Internet ad I found the car on. They say most of their cars qualify for a 90 day/4500 Power Train warranty.

I took screenshots of the specific web address (the car ad address is gone now), the wording on the warranty, and the features they listed. My issue, is on the buyers guide he marked no warranty. When I questioned him, he said the 90 day is complimentary. I didn't imagine anything like this could go wrong in 90 days ... so I didn't push the subject. I own that bonehead movement.

Could I get a lawyer fight this and win... I say my odds are better than 60%. But where I live you have to give 60 days for the dealer to remedy the situation, then you can start legal proceedings. With my work schedule I really don't have the fight in me, let alone the time.

I found a blog post where he fought with one other customer over the 90 day warranty, so I will do what I have to do to get out of this car. Then forward to the Attorney General, lodge a compliant with the BBB, do some social media reviews ... and let karma catch up with him.

Like I told my wife, $7,000 is so far out of reality, I can't even negotiate a good deal. This is a strategically created number by MB ... highly profitable ... or a deal killer ... allowing the cars to slowly get off the road.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:48 PM

2007 E350
Final update ...

Drove down to the dealer.

He informed me there is no warranty on the car because I received a discount. He also stated his warranty company would consider it wear and tear and would not cover the damage to the teeth because it is considered normal wear and tear. Could be a line, but I have read on one of these boards that excuse has worked with other people in my shoes. The warranty company is C.A.R.S Plus Protection.

However, at the end of the day he offered to buy my car back at $1,000 more than the offer I had on the table from another dealer. He also said he would try and find me a car my Credit Union will finance at 1.54% (a rate I negotiated with them on good will, pays to be at a place for 25 years).

The other option was to work with one of his mechanics, where he would cover the mark up on parts, and give me preferred labor rates. I just don't feel comfortable having an indy do this job as a favor to a friend ...

He also pointed out I could likely get more for my car with tough negotiating. He also said to sell it privately, but I just can't do that ... I feel bad enough "washing" it through a 3rd party.

When all is said and done I appreciate the dealer at least trying ... he could have gave me the finger.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:44 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
You are much more forgiving than I would be - I would be calling every lawyer in town until I found a "hungry" one willing to take my case on a contingent basis and stick this dealer with buying back the car at the full values paid, plus paying all attorney fees and punitive damages enough to buy a new A207 E-class.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:24 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by Rudeney
You are much more forgiving than I would be - I would be calling every lawyer in town until I found a "hungry" one willing to take my case on a contingent basis and stick this dealer with buying back the car at the full values paid, plus paying all attorney fees and punitive damages enough to buy a new A207 E-class.
Not that I am forgiving, I am a realist. I spoke to my company's general counsel, and at the end of the day ... the laws are biased towards the dealerships.

I have to wait 60 days before legal action can be taken. Then there are all the variables that come into play ... plus my time, and my unforgiving work schedule.

At the end of the day he could have told me to hit the bricks. I give him some credit for at least trying to help. Is he a typical used car salesman ... you bet. Will I buy another car from him ... not a chance.

Lesson learned, I was an idiot. If the deal is too good to be true, it is.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Wow, what state do you line in? Here in Alabama (which is a very pro-business state), we have very strict laws regulating car dealerships. In fact, almost all dealerships now use video and audio recording of the actual transaction of the sale in order protect themselves. I would make a call to the attorney general's office and get them involved, too, since it is a criminal charge to falsify automotive sales terms like this.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM

2008 CLK350
I just bought a used 08 CLK 350, can you check this VIN# WDBTJ56H68F245977. Also i noticed a slight wobble in my Harmonic Balancer aka Crankshaft Pulley.. can that be a related symptom?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
WDBTJ56H68F245977 has M272 engine #802956 which is well beyond the affected range, The harmonic balancer can appear to wobble - it uses a rubber insert that will flex and absorb vibrations.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM

CLK 550
Hi all, I purchased a CLK550 over the weekend and while reading this board now started to get worried (should have done my research earlier!) I asked a dealership to run my engine serial from the VIN but it doesn't seem to look like the codes here:

VIN is WDBTJ72H97F208101

The MB rep gave me the following reply "The Serial # is 60501382"

Can anybody please help me on this? I haven't yet picked up the car, just put down the deposit, so may still be able to get some warranty cover if necessary.

Thanks in advance - look forward to contributing to the forum now I am an MB owner, with or without balance issues!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM

2010 Buick Enclave
This 2007 is for sale reasonably close to me. I'm not holding out a lot of hope but could you check Vin WDBTK56F67T078046. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM

BMW 330CI
I am seriously considering to purchase a 2007 CLK550 with 50k miles and just would like to know if the car is affected by the balance shaft issue. VIN# is WDBTJ72H67F206970.

Thank you!
-Lou
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by PedCLK
Hi all, I purchased a CLK550 over the weekend and while reading this board now started to get worried (should have done my research earlier!) I asked a dealership to run my engine serial from the VIN but it doesn't seem to look like the codes here:

VIN is WDBTJ72H97F208101

The MB rep gave me the following reply "The Serial # is 60501382"

Can anybody please help me on this? I haven't yet picked up the car, just put down the deposit, so may still be able to get some warranty cover if necessary.

Thanks in advance - look forward to contributing to the forum now I am an MB owner, with or without balance issues!!
This one has M273 engine #58433 which is in the range for potential balance shaft (or in the case of the V8, timing idler sprocket) failure. Personally, unless they make you a deal you can't refuse (at least $5K below wholesale) then I'd walk. It might be fine, or it might not, but it's your money.

Oh, and FYI, in most states, a dealer cannot keep your deposit. Even though they can say it's non-refundable, until you sign the paperwork and they deliver the car (i.e. hand you the keys and a title, or title application if financed) then they can't take your money. IANAL, but I know here in Alabama, this is the case. Dealers will say "non-refundable deposit" but they know that they have to give it back if the customer knows the law. Some dealers will actually go ahead and refund it if the deal falls through just to keep above any legal issues.

Last edited by Rudeney; 09-03-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by tallison24
This 2007 is for sale reasonably close to me. I'm not holding out a lot of hope but could you check Vin WDBTK56F67T078046. Thanks.
This CLK350 has M272 engine #463366, which is within the range for potential balance shaft failure. See my comment above.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by llacer88
I am seriously considering to purchase a 2007 CLK550 with 50k miles and just would like to know if the car is affected by the balance shaft issue. VIN# is WDBTJ72H67F206970.

Thank you!
-Lou
Wow, another one - this has M273 engine #54562 and it is in the affected range.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM

BMW 330CI
Thanks Rodney! I appreciate your quick reply. I should probably back out on this one.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM

CLK 550
This one has M273 engine #58433 which is in the range for potential balance shaft (or in the case of the V8, timing idler sprocket) failure. Personally, unless they make you a deal you can't refuse (at least $5K below wholesale) then I'd walk. It might be fine, or it might not, but it's your money.

Oh, and FYI, in most states, a dealer cannot keep your deposit. Even though they can say it's non-refundable, until you sign the paperwork and they deliver the car (i.e. hand you the keys and a title, or title application if financed) then they can't take your money. IANAL, but I know here in Alabama, this is the case. Dealers will say "non-refundable deposit" but they know that they have to give it back if the customer knows the law. Some dealers will actually go ahead and refund it if the deal falls through just to keep above any legal issues.
Thanks Rodney, really appreciate you looking that up for me.

OK. Wow. Hmmmmm. Let me think!

It's certainly a great deal - or seemed it - looks to be about $3.5k under suggested KBB for a dealer sale. I guess that might be why it is such a good deal...

BUT, then if they know there is/could be an issue, well it starts to get interesting. You see, I did my research beforehand, even if I didn't know about this specific issue. From the CarFax I found it had been serviced at an MB dealership by the 2nd owner from 2010-2013, from 20k to 80k miles. It now has 81k. In fact, that very same MB dealership listed it for sale before the Toyota dealership that I found it at listed it a month or 2 later (trade-in?).

I contacted the service dept at this MB dealership, with the following exchange:

Dear MB, I am looking at a used CLK 550 and the CarFax service records indicate the previous owner brought it to you between 2010-2013. Also, I think you sold it on to the current dealership that has it listed. I was wondering if you could tell me any important info about the car - whether there have been major mechanical issues, whether the full services were completed on time, etc etc. The VIN is WDBTJ72H97F208101. Thanks in advance for your time. PedCLK.

Reply:

PedCLK, The CLK 550, you have mentioned, has been serviced here at XXX from March 2010 @ 21k thru May 2013 @ 80K. Other than the standard services which were done in a timely manor, there is nothing that indicates any mechanical issues. I hope this information has made your decision easier. Sincerely, *MB email address*

So, based on this exchange, if the issue were to arise (unknown but significant % chance) what do you think (conjecture) the chances of me getting at least some contribution from MB USA would be...? I mean, they have a class action pending and yet did not even tell me when asked if there were any mechanical issues to be aware of.

What I'm getting towards is, for the good deal, it may be worth the risk in that if I end up paying for the work to be done, I lose a bit, if it doesn't happen, I get a great deal. If there's a chance of recompense from MB USA, well...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM

BMW 330CI
Wow, another one - this has M273 engine #54562 and it is in the affected range.

Folks, I really need your inputs on this.....if i should buy this car or not.

I called the dealership this morning and have them verified if the car is affected with this issue and they confirmed by offering me that they will cover the repair if the problem comes up under the CPO warranty (12 months/100K miles). I asked them if they will have that on writing and they agreed but just for the idle gear component and not for the balance shaft since it's the V8 engine. Now are there any other components/parts related to the issue that I should ask the dealership to add in the contract? The dealership is really working very hard to address my concern and I am now considering of getting an additional year warranty making it 24 months/120k miles to have the peace of mind.

I appreciate in advance for all your inputs.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by llacer88
Folks, I really need your inputs on this.....if i should buy this car or not.

I called the dealership this morning and have them verified if the car is affected with this issue and they confirmed by offering me that they will cover the repair if the problem comes up under the CPO warranty (12 months/100K miles). I asked them if they will have that on writing and they agreed but just for the idle gear component and not for the balance shaft since it's the V8 engine. Now are there any other components/parts related to the issue that I should ask the dealership to add in the contract? The dealership is really working very hard to address my concern and I am now considering of getting an additional year warranty making it 24 months/120k miles to have the peace of mind.

I appreciate in advance for all your inputs.
If its a CPO there is nothing to add. If your CPO contract reads like both of mine, it states

During the specified Warranty period, all necessary repairs or replacements of the parts listed below will be made by any authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer (as applicable) at no charge to you or any eligible subsequent Private Party Purchaser, to correct defects in material or workmanship in covered vehicle parts and/or systems of a Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. Items covered below must have been installed prior to or at MBCPO retail delivery.

Under the engine section, the coverage includes

engine block, cylinder head(s), cylinder head gasket(s), all internally lubricated parts, including internally lubricated seals and gaskets, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing chain cover, flywheel, flex-plate, vibration damper (harmonic balancer), coolant pump, turbocharger, supercharger, belt tensioners, injection pump, control module, and motor mounts.

The bold print and underscore were added by me. The 550 doesn't have a balance shaft, but it does have a potentially faulty idle gear. The gear is both internal and lubricated, so any related failure is covered by the factory CPO. If you're concerned, pay and have the CPO extended. If it's not a CPO, or it can't be extended, you can always buy a different 550. Lastly, the dealer cannot change a CPO to either include or exclude items. CPO contracts are sold by dealerships, but they are agreements between MB USA and the purchaser. The dealer can reduce the price of the CPO contract. Like the car, everything is negotiable. 15% off of whatever they're asking is a good starting point.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 PM

BMW 330CI
Thanks MarcusF for your input. I have not seen the MBCPO contract yet but I will find out tomorrow. Still debating which extended warranty to get - 24mos/120K miles or the 36mos/135k miles. It is a reputable MB dealership in the area and I heard they are one of the best among the 4 dealerships present within the 40 mile radius. So that gives me a bit of confidence dealing with them. Hopefully it works out well. Thanks again and I look forward to contribute more in this forum.

Last edited by llacer88; 09-04-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM

98 slk 230
Hi Rodney,

Can you please check the VIN on this 08 clk 350. I'm pretty sure it's out of the range, but rather safe than sorry.

WDBTJ56H08F244081

Thank you!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, WDBTJ56H08F244081 is fine - it has M272 engine #772139 which is beyond the affected range.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 PM

2011 E350
VIN Check please

I was wondering if VIN WDBTK72F27T083715 (M273) is affected. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 AM

CLS 350 W219
Hi guys, I have a cls350 ( european version) which is within the affected range and it has 180000 on clock without a single engine problem, just once I changed a pulley. Anyway I called the local mercedes dealer (I am from Europe- Bulgaria) and ask how much would the repair cost and the answer was instant - 2000 euro (3000 $) and 5 days works. Then I called a local garage specialized in expensive cars repairs and asked for a quote and they came with 1600 euro and 4 days work + both the dealer and the garage owner were willing to give warranty of 60000 miles for the shaft.

I find it really strange that the same problem costs almost 4 times more to repair in America ?! May be the people affected by it should try to get the spares from Europe.

Also wast week I was in a E350 airport taxi
With 680000 km and it was working perfect, when I asked the driver about the balance shaft problem he replied that he never heard of it and that in his company, there is an S350 with 1000000km. So I think that the 272-273 are strong engines with easy maintenance, but the dealers in USA are just ripping you off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Please check my VIN for Balance shaft issue?