CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

is COMAND an XM or Sirius radio, or XM-Sirius?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
is COMAND an XM or Sirius radio, or XM-Sirius?

I ask because mine started working again, even though I don't subscribe, and I'm trying to figure out what "package" I'm getting (it could easily be one no longer offered, I realize). And admins, please note that I'm not advocating stealing anything; all I did was push the SAT button on my 4 year old car that I've owned for 5 months.

When my wife's 2007 E350 was still getting Sirius when we bought it in 2010 (still does today) I remember reading on the W211 forum that your radio needs to be on when Sirius sends the "kill" signal, or it won't receive it. Freeloaders getting the service are a low priority for Sirius, so they haven't put much effort into finding a better way.

When I first got this CLK I thought it was getting Sirius, but only Sports (which I don't care about). I checked back occasionally and was only getting Preview, but now I'm getting lots of channels, but not all (maybe I just didn't know how to operate the darn thing when I first got it; it uses the up/down/left/right toggle to get around).
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
MBZ uses the "Sirius" radio, so you won't be able to get any of the CM-only channels (gee, wouldn't it be nice is one say, SiriusXM actually lived up to its merger promises!).

As for it working, there are a few possibilities. Sirius often turns on old radios for a limited time in order to entice people to subscribe. You'll get a free week every so often as a trial. Another possibility is that the radio has a "lifetime" subscription (this is the case with mine). Some factory-installed Sirius radios came with a 1-year free subscription and if you called within the first 30 days, they would apply the value of that year to the purchase of a lifetime sub resulting in a pretty good deal. The lifetime sub goes with the equipment, not the owner, so unless the owner specifically called to shut it off, Sirius just leaves it on forever.

And yes, for temporary or non-lifetime subs, the radio has to be on when the kill signal for its serial number is sent. Sirius has so many "dead" radios that they don't send kill signals out very often. They do tend to do this sort of housekeeping during popular events - like during= coverage of live sporting events.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Well, that didn't last long! Sirius is "preview only" again! Boo hoo!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, it seems like I remember seeing that they were doing the previews. I have an old de-activated radio still on my account and I get emails about the "free" weeks.

I know a lot of people are down on Sirius and don't want to pay for it, but that's about all we listen to in our cars, and I listen to in in my office as well (mostly classical for some stress-reduction). I think I have two lifetime subs and two radios I pay for. I think it's a decent value. I like having no commercials on the music channels and getting a crystal-clear digital signal.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Ya mine is on as well. I only get a few of the channels (like on my favorites I only get 5 out of 10 of the stored ones). Hmmm I wonder if I was one of the lucky ones to buy a car and the guy before had the lifetime sub
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Ya mine is on as well. I only get a few of the channels (like on my favorites I only get 5 out of 10 of the stored ones). Hmmm I wonder if I was one of the lucky ones to buy a car and the guy before had the lifetime sub
It sounds like a "rogue" radio that was once subscribed, but has just never been on when they sent the "deactivate" command. Basically, when a radio is subscribed, they send a signal to turn it on, and it stays on until it gets a deactivate or "kill" signal. When you cancel, they send the kill signal, but if the car is off when they do that, it won't deactivate. They periodically do some "housekeeping" and re-send the kill signal on old radios, but the older the radio, the less likely they will send the signal. However, when they updated channel lists, they only send that out to valid subscriptions, so an unsubscribed radio won't get an update and that's likely why you are missing some channels.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Rudeney ~ for my edification. The Sirius capability is due to an additional module in the trunk rather than built into the US Comand. Is that correct?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Correct - Sirius is a separate module installed int he trunk. It can be installed with COMAND or even the standard Audio 20 head unit (any car with MOST fiber, i.e. the MY2005 refresh).

Here's the retrofit instructions:

http://benzbits.com/w209/RetrofitSirius1.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/RetrofitSirius2.pdf
Old 09-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Thanks bud!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Rudeney
It sounds like a "rogue" radio that was once subscribed, but has just never been on when they sent the "deactivate" command. Basically, when a radio is subscribed, they send a signal to turn it on, and it stays on until it gets a deactivate or "kill" signal. When you cancel, they send the kill signal, but if the car is off when they do that, it won't deactivate. They periodically do some "housekeeping" and re-send the kill signal on old radios, but the older the radio, the less likely they will send the signal. However, when they updated channel lists, they only send that out to valid subscriptions, so an unsubscribed radio won't get an update and that's likely why you are missing some channels.
Ah makes sense. So I've just been "dodging the bullet" most likely all this time